• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yea, I'm not falling for this character spice of the week just to be deconfirmed again. Last week was Gordon and the week before that Doomguy.
It's actually exhausting.
Almost reminds me of the Tracer, one other guy, (I think it was Doomguy?) and SNK leaks that happened back to back.

Inb4 Nintendo makes another copyright slip up soon...

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Dante would "hit the jackpot" if he does make it in.

Anyways, whilst I can't say for certain if he is Fighter Pass #5, but I guess we'll have to wait and see whether any of the other sources will say anything on the legitimacy of Sabi's claims.

D

Deleted member

Yea, I'm not falling for this character spice of the week just to be deconfirmed again. Last week was Gordon and the week before that Doomguy.
It's actually exhausting.
I'm not falling for it too. I mean, we're still far away from the Game Awards and all, so it's kinda clear that Vergeben will still be going back and forth disconfirming characters left and right.

First of all, the amount of people absolutely thrilled over Dante would completely overshadow the amount of people that will complain about a DLC fighter's pass being primarily male.

Second of all, it's pretty presumptuous to assume he'll be overpowered when we don't even know how he will be implemented, what exactly he's going to carry over from his source games, or if he's even in the game to begin with,

And third of all, Bayonetta has been nerfed so thoroughly she currently sits at 58th on orionstats, meaning characters like Zelda, Piranha Plant, and Bowser Jr. having more representations and results competitively than she does.

Side-note on the last point, I can't help but feel if the situation was reversed and Bayonetta was the one coming in the wake of a hypothetical Dante's dominant Smash 4 run that you would at all give a damn about the competitive aspect of the game to begin with.
So this is the call of representation blinded by hype. With thunderous applause.

We got an idea of how a combo-based character would work in the game with Bayonetta and she really broke the game. To me, it's just paranoia.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Thats one of the main sticking points of Smash, though. The average Smash Ultimate player is likely not going to be super familiar with the majority of the cast, but smash provides a great first impression of many games you wouldn't have normally checked out otherwise. I never considered trying out a traditional 2D fighter before Terry's inclusion, but now I'm genuinely interested in the Fatal Fury and King of Fighters series.
Eh, I'm not complaining necessarily, mostly just joking.

I did check out the Banjo games after he was announced for Ultimate. The first game was a pretty good game, though I only goty as far as the first world in Banjo Tooie and haven't had much motivation to return.

I would try out Persona 5...if Persona 5 would be friggin' ported outside the PS4, as that's literally the only current gen system I don't own (well, that and Vita if you want to even count it since it basically faded away and died a while ago)

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
First, what does “unsurprising” even mean? You guys do realize that your average fan doesn’t sit on this site and talk about Smash as much as we do, right? We talk about nearly every character ever. It doesn’t really matter if it’s a surprise to us, because a pick like Dante would BLOW UP at TGA.

Your average fan would be totally hyped by a pick like Dante. Having played the entire Devil May Cry series this last year, I’d love it...even if it means Resident Evil hasn’t been picked yet.

In addition, it’s not really that surprising if the whole pass turns out to be male characters. Unfortunately, most protagonists of video games are men. That’s just a simple fact. While I agree that diversity is important, we need to remember that characters aren’t necessarily just going to be picked because they look a certain way, or are a particular gender.They are picked based on ability, and I would say popularity.

If it turns out to be Dante as Pick 5 (hell yeah!) then I’ll be rooting for Leon it Jill for post-Fighter Pass. Diversity in identity is important, but characters aren’t simply going to be picked for it. I just wouldn’t be surprised if most picks are male: most video game protags are men, especially if it’s narrowed down to Japanese creators.

Really don’t mean to be rude here, so I hope it doesn’t come across that way. I’m just being real.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Thats one of the main sticking points of Smash, though. The average Smash Ultimate player is likely not going to be super familiar with the majority of the cast, but smash provides a great first impression of many games you wouldn't have normally checked out otherwise. I never considered trying out a traditional 2D fighter before Terry's inclusion, but now I'm genuinely interested in the Fatal Fury and King of Fighters series.
I can't tell you how important Smash has been to getting me to Branch out my tastes when I was younger.

No joke, my dumb-butt middle school self thought Snake was from an FPS or something and thought it was stupid because "BLEH ITS NOT NINTENDO." Then proceeded to scream in joy at Sonic.

Now MGS is absolutely up there with one of the most unforgettable franchises I've ever experienced. And it's the reason I eventually branched out into other Konami series, particularly Castlevania, which is one of my all time favorite series. And that's not even touching on the likes of Fire Emblem, making me get Xenoblade only for it to become my third favorite game of all time, me trying Star Fox, eventually getting the Mother series under my belt...

I would daresay it's the best thing Smash can do for anyone. There is not a single series in Smash that doesn't belong, because even the more infamous series on the roster have some absolute gems lying in wait.

She's far from overpowered in this game. I don't think it's that hard to understand.
Dude, I've fought some Bayos that do absolutely incredible strings to me, and I'm legit awestruck.

Then I touch them twice with literally anything and they die because they can't kill me with anything that isn't back air or a raw Smash attack.

I don't doubt they could make Dante work, and honestly they should give Bayo a bit more juice again, haha. Combo characters absolutely have their place.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I haven't owned a mainline Pokemon game since Silver. My mom ruined the series for me, and I never picked it back up. I am sooooo behind. With being said, this almost sold me.

I'm digging the song. Nessa looks dope. I wonder if they carried over Trainer customization from Pokemon Go (I know it exists, but never played that either). Did they expand upon it? Y'all just don't know how unfamiliar I am with the series. I'd be more out of the loop if it wasn't for Smash. I was 7 when I played Silver and barely knew what I was doing. It's a little overwhelming. I can only name ~50-ish Pokemon max.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
First, what does “unsurprising” even mean? You guys do realize that your average fan doesn’t sit on this site and talk about Smash as much as we do, right? We talk about nearly every character ever. It doesn’t really matter if it’s a surprise to us, because a pick like Dante would BLOW UP at TGA.

Your average fan would be totally hyped by a pick like Dante. Having played the entire Devil May Cry series this last year, I’d love it...even if it means Resident Evil hasn’t been picked yet.

In addition, it’s not really that surprising if the whole pass turns out to be male characters. Unfortunately, most protagonists of video games are men. That’s just a simple fact. While I agree that diversity is important, we need to remember that characters aren’t necessarily just going to be picked because they look a certain way, or are a particular gender.They are picked based on ability, and I would say popularity.

If it turns out to be Dante as Pick 5 (hell yeah!) then I’ll be rooting for Leon it Jill for post-Fighter Pass. Diversity in identity is important, but characters aren’t simply going to be picked for it. I just wouldn’t be surprised if most picks are male: most video game protags are men, especially if it’s narrowed down to Japanese creators.

Really don’t mean to be rude here, so I hope it doesn’t come across that way. I’m just being real.
The "most iconic video game characters are male" argument I feel really only works to an extent. It's true that when it comes to iconic characters there are more men than women. that said, iconic or popular women in games still exist and there are a decent selection to choose from.

that aside, yes I certainly agree a character shouldn't be chosen ONLY for their gender or ONLY for diversity's sake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*sweating profusely due to not having to rage out like last time*

And that is also a flaw of Ultimate's character-picking choice. And it is also a wasted potential. Why think of the possibilities later when you can think about it now. This is a logical criticism of the roster, yes.

The "most iconic video game characters are male" argument I feel really only works to an extent. It's true that when it comes to iconic characters there are more men than women. that said, iconic or popular women in games still exist and there are a decent selection to choose from.

that aside, yes I certainly a character shouldn't be chosen ONLY for their gender or ONLY for diversity's sake.
The goal of choosing diversity for diversity's sake is only a bare minimum requirement. Someone like Lara Croft would also be able to fulfill more requirements for that.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I haven't owned a mainline Pokemon game since Silver. My mom ruined the series for me, and I never picked it back up. I am sooooo behind. With being said, this almost sold me.

I'm digging the song. Nessa looks dope. I wonder if they carried over Trainer customization from Pokemon Go (I know it exists, but never played that either). Did they expand upon it? Y'all just don't know how unfamiliar I am with the series. I was 7 when I played Silver and barely knew what I was doing. It's a little overwhelming.
Customization's still in. Skin tone, hair styles, hair colour, different outfits, all there.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Look I obviously am a huge proponent of representation and I really want fighter 5 to be a female character or a character with a large female fanbase (which, not gonna lie, Dante as a character is pretty popular with us nerd girls of a certain age so I know a lot of my friends would be mad hype for him) but there's no need to take out all your frustrations on Dante for the detriment of the people posting in this thread.

Furthermore, bringing up paranoid statements about a character that isn't even out yet and how they'll be "broken" in a game where we've had a very balanced roster of about 74 characters so far is silly.

It sucks even replying because I completely agree with the sentiment but I'm not sure "Today I'm going to cause problems on purpose" is it, chief.

Anyway, I still take this with a grain of salt, and I also think this is going to turn out like Hayabusa and that Dante will be the Joker-esque hype bomb to open pass 2, where a character who isn't quite the biggest name is still stylish and cool and exciting enough to get eyes on the prize. Plus, Dante and Bayonetta in the same game is a dream come true for fans, and that's what this is all about. I think pass 5 is still unknown. Just a hunch.

osby

Smash Obsessed

And that is also a flaw of Ultimate's character-picking choice. And it is also a wasted potential. Why think of the possibilities later when you can think about it now. This is a logical criticism of the roster, yes.
Shoving your preferences down people's throats constantly is neither logical nor a criticism.

D

Deleted member

Really exciting if it's the case, either as a finisher of the current pass or the starter of a new one you can't go wrong with Dante. Hoping for Hayabusa, Jill/Leon and KOS-MOS right now as well but in the grand scheme of things it seems that the end of the pass and the next one are going to be exciting no matter what. Hope Sakurai keeps the scale of this pass in regards of content.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

So just re-read Sabi's tweet and it did NOT specify if Dante's FP5. It's just the assumption that he is there. Theoretcially this could be post-pass.

D

Deleted member

. I wonder if they carried over Trainer customization from Pokemon Go (I know it exists, but never played that either). Did they expand upon it? Y'all just don't know how unfamiliar I am with the series. I'd be more out of the loop if it wasn't for Smash. I was 7 when I played Silver and barely knew what I was doing. It's a little overwhelming. I can only name ~50-ish Pokemon max.
Trainer customization is here. Some examples of what people made.

1574118723218.png

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

The goal of choosing diversity for diversity's sake is only a bare minimum requirement. Someone like Lara Croft would also be able to fulfill more requirements for that.
Your posts give me the vibe of someone who doesn't actually care about what they're arguing for, and simply hold their viewpoint for the sake of having something to be mad about.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Admittedly off-topic, but I somehow spent the last couple of months thinking you were a guy. Colour me surprised.
I blame your username
It's actually a reference to pro wrestler Flyboy Rocco Rock because I registered in 2010 where my username on a wrestling forum was similar and was really just here trying to figure out how to mod Zero into Brawl.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So just re-read Sabi's tweet and it did NOT specify if Dante's FP5. It's just the assumption that he is there. Theoretcially this could be post-pass.
That's how I also read it as. I WOULD LOVE Dante, after Resident Evil he was my next bet for a Capcom character. I don't think he's FIGHTER 5 AT ALL, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dante was one of the first post-pass characters that we end up getting.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Smash needs a shooter rep. Give us the Doomslayer or Master Chief at the VGAs...

blackghost

Smash Champion
We got an idea of how a combo-based character would work in the game with Bayonetta and she really broke the game. To me, it's just paranoia.
no we got to see what happens when devs stop maintaining balance in game to focus resources on their next game. Bayonetta was not the only combo character in smash 4 r smash ultimate. peach, ken, ryu, joker, fox, falco, and terry all are combo characters.

if dante isin smash he should be a combo character because to be otherwise is an insult to who he is as a character and what his legacy in games is. arguably he should have more power than Bayonetta and have next to nothing in disadvantage. he should also have more than 4 specials. and he shouldhave some advanced mechanics like jump cancels.

not gonna lie compared to hearing about niche characters or cartoony characters like crash i'd much rather get dante.

and yes in the trailer bayonetta and dante should interact they'd have awesome lines at each other.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That means Nintendo has to buy back the rights to Geno.

I'd say that is EXTREMELY unlikely. About as likely as it is for Nintendo to buy the rights to Xenogears and Xenosaga.
Considering that the core Smash fanbase is the only thing that really cares about the character at this point I wouldn't imagine he'd be too expensive. Though I suppose that's reason enough for Nintendo not to buy him.

So... are the inklings chopped liver, or...
Last time I asked this I was told they don't count because Splatoon's not in first person. (Though I did use the term FPS so...)

We also have Duck Hunt (and kinda Metroid) if you count them.
Duck Hunt was the first FPS...

*Brain explodes*

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I know theories are pretty much stupid and looking into things that aren't there, but from what I've seen with 4 out of the 5 Fighter's Pass characters:

-They're all 3rd party.
-They debuted in a series that started before the 2000s(aka Legacy Series)
-Their respective series each debuted on a different console(Persona: PS1, Dragon Quest: NES, Banjo: N64, Terry: Neo-Geo)

Two of Namco's series fits the criteria above pretty well(Tales: 1995: SNES, Tekken: 1994: Arcade).

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
That means Nintendo has to buy back the rights to Geno.

I'd say that is EXTREMELY unlikely. About as likely as it is for Nintendo to buy the rights to Xenogears and Xenosaga.
I once heard Geno described as "the child neither parent wanted custody of in the divorce".

Which is pretty accurate.

D

Deleted member

That's how I also read it as. I WOULD LOVE Dante, after Resident Evil he was my next bet for a Capcom character. I don't think he's FIGHTER 5 AT ALL, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dante was one of the first post-pass characters that we end up getting.
Exactly! They all did not specify if he was FP5. If they would, they would have told them specifically.

Your posts give me the vibe of someone who doesn't actually care about what they're arguing for, and simply hold their viewpoint for the sake of having something to be mad about.
I care about my viewpoint. It's just that my emotions cloud my judgment. Now please...just let me say what I want to say, okay? Let's not venture into that territory like last time.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know theories are pretty much stupid and looking into things that aren't there, but from what I've seen with 4 out of the 5 Fighter's Pass characters:

-They're all 3rd party.
-They debuted in a series that started before the 2000s(aka Legacy Series)
-Their respective series each debuted on a different console(Persona: PS1, Dragon Quest: NES, Banjo: N64, Terry: Neo-Geo)

Two of Namco's series fits the criteria above pretty well(Tales: 1995: SNES, Tekken: 1994: Arcade).
While I don't think patterns are going to lead us to fighter 5, I do think Bamco is a safe bet due to the missing Mii costumes. While my top picks are Heihachi, Velvet, and Lloyd, you have characters like Solaire and Agumon waiting in the wings, and KOS-MOS as an outside pick that I would obviously also be very pleased with.

I could see a Bandai-Namco rep closing out this pass with Dante heralding a second DLC season or at least being the first post-pass character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I once heard Geno described as "the child neither parent wanted custody of in the divorce".

Which is pretty accurate.
Right down to the child support required for Nintendo to have anything to do with him.

In hind sight though I bet Nintendo does wish that they got access to the Super Mario RPG content since SquareEnix couldn't care less about the stuff, and Nintendo could get at least get some use out of it. Adding a certain character to Smash for example. (Though it was probably a "we'll take the stuff we made and you take the stuff you made" kinda deal, which is the most fair I guess.)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So the current character of the week is Dante? Man, is poor PSASBR looking worse and worse or what?

I wonder what version they'd go for.
My best guess would be DMC1 Dante but he would use reboot Dante's more stylistic versions of Ebony and Ivory to play it safe with the ratings

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Sabi: I have a source that says Dante might be coming to smash

Also Sabi: waits for dmc3 switch port announcement to say this.

Pack it up folks. I’m done listening to this fake leaker.

D

Deleted member

Sabi: I have a source that says Dante might be coming to smash

Also Sabi: waits for dmc3 switch port announcement to say this.

Pack it up folks. I’m done listening to this fake leaker.
While you're at it, can you tell me where you got that sweet KOSMOS sketch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom