• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
dante is more of capcom's secondary mascot than RE is. throw in the real world ties between dante and bayonetta plus the fact the two share the same world in game world and its very plausible.
dante stayed capcom secondary mascot even when he hadnt made a main series game in like 10 years. plud we all shouldve seen how big an impact dante has with his return this year.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, Nintendo pass. Probably did this before at some point, but I'll gladly do it again.
  1. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
  2. Felix (Golden Sun - since Isaac's an Assist Trophy, let's go for the one that's better anyway next best thing)
  3. Dixie Kong (DKC)
  4. Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
  5. Edelgard (Fire Emblem Three Houses)
Bonus character: Waluigi.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Oh no. I'm trying to hype responsibly, in the end it will probably be nothing. But now that Dante's name has been thrown by Sabi I know it's a matter of time Vergeben will speak and deconfirm him for fighter 5.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dante would be no surprise, gameplay-wise he obviously lends himself very easily to Smash, and he has a very strong surface level personality that would easily come across. I've had him pinned as the frontrunner from Capcom for some time now as he just seems the easiest fit, although I was expecting him to happen during the next wave of DLC as I was sure #5 would be a Namco character.

We'll see though, as long as Sabi labels it as an unverified leak it's very much subject to change. He does stand a great chance regardless of whether the leak is true or not, and although I don't care much for him personally, he'd certainly be a strong end to the Pass.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Featuring Dante from the Dante's Inferno series.

If DMC does get the nod, well...
  1. On the one hand, at least it isn't Resident Evil, and potentially makes that less likely.
  2. On the other hand... 'Eh'...
My Capcom picks were never particularly high on the list of possibilities, and nothing from Capcom is super-high on my overall list of desires in the first place, but anything from them that isn't MH or RE is... more tolerable than anything that is.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Say what you will about DMC 2, but Lucia was the s*** and deserves a spirit if Dante happened.

Bonus points if you could upgrade it to her Devil Trigger form.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Maybe Dante isn't super surprising right now but I mean, that only would apply to non videogame characters or Sony characters. At this point almost any character is discussed, something that a year ago we wouldn't guessed, but that doesn't mean characters like Dante aren't a big deal.

I would be okay with a Lucia spirit.
The mandatory ones would be Vergil, Nelo Angelo, Nero, Mundus, Lady and Trish. V and Nico should be in too.

As for Dante's design, I would hope Sakurai picking his DMC5 incarnation, in my opinion the best Dante design. Probably he would came with another alt based on DMC3 Dante. Best case scenario would be him having his design from DMC1 and 4, but I don't think that would happen.

ZelDan

Smash Master
DMC is a series I never played and thus have no real attachment to,

Which also means that Dante has a REALLY good chance of getting into Smash ultimate DLC! :4pacman:

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if DmC Dante ends up being one of his alts. Capcom had no problem giving Dante in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite an alt costume based on his DmC counterpart (despite definitely knowing how controversial the game was with Devil May Cry fans by that point), and Sakurai also doesn't seem to have a problem with referencing unpopular games (it's not overt, but Banjo-Kazooie and their stage have a couple nods to Nuts & Bolts).
His DmC look really doesn't look bad when it's cleaned up.
Plot twist: What the leakers saw wasn't actually Dante... it was Monster Hunter with a Devil May Cry costume.

As much as that would actually be cool for Monster Hunter to have costumes based on other Capcom characters, as Monster Hunter has had costumes based on Demitri, Morrigan, Ryu, Sakura, I think Strider Hiryu, and even Link and Marth, but if Monster Hunter got in, I'd much rather see all the costumes be based on the games' armor sets.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
Say what you will about DMC 2, but Lucia was the s*** and deserves a spirit if Dante happened.

Bonus points if you could upgrade it to her Devil Trigger form.
If Dante does come, I think Lucia is pretty much going to be a spirit, considering the amount of dedication Sakurai has put in making sure the third parties are represented as well as possible, even if DMC2 isn't that well received. In fact, I can see a few songs from DMC2 being in the game, maybe a remix of "Fire Away" could appear.

As for spirits besides Lucia, the given ones are Trish (I can see her being represented by :ultzss:), Lady (maybe have a Steel Diver to represent the Kalina Ann), Nero, and Vergil (will obviously have the Killing Edge to represent Yamato). Also put in V (his spirit battle could have his familiars being represented) and Nico (Kapp'n assist trophy enemy to represent the van).

That being said, even though Dante is my most wanted, I would suggest taking these rumors of him appearing with a grain of salt. We're at a point where fake leaks are being thrown around as the Game Awards are near. We'll find out later if we'll hit the jackpot.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Dante would be GREAT, I'd love to see that.

Imagine if his trailer is him and Bayo teaming up. She's just fighting demons/spirits then he just rides in and they stand back to back AAAA I would die!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’d love it if Dante was the next character. DMCV is my second favorite game of the year, I’d love to play some Smash matches with Devil Trigger blasting in the background.

I’m still skeptical when it comes to Sabi & Smash, but maybe she’ll be right this time. She’s never said a specific name before so maybe she’s semi-confident in this, even with that warning.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I have no interest in the Devil May Cry series but I'd be okay with Dante. He has a sword and pistols so that makes him fun in a sword guy kind of way. No one I'm particularly excited for but Sakurai could do a lot worse than Dante.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC

Imagine if his trailer is him and Bayo teaming up. She's just fighting demons/spirits then he just rides in and they stand back to back AAAA I would die!
A trailer that doesn't have Dante and Bayonetta interacting would be a massive waste. Fans have long been clamoring to both Kamiya and Itsuno to have the Umbra Witch and Devil Hunter meet on-screen. Kamiya himself regretted not putting Bayonetta in Project X Zone because so.

D

Deleted member

Just got back and...oh my.

Dante? Seriously?

Great. Just great. First, y'all know me and female characters. If he's in, then ****. At least I got ro share this sentiment with a Twitter user:

Second. Goodbye Competitive Smash. He'll break the game harder than Bayo will.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
A trailer that doesn't have Dante and Bayonetta interacting would be a massive waste. Fans have long been clamoring to both Kamiya and Itsuno to have the Umbra Witch and Devil Hunter meet on-screen. Kamiya himself regretted not putting Bayonetta in Project X Zone because so.

Hey, maybe they could somehow make Project X Zone 3 happen, with Dante and Bayonetta as a team + Vergil solo (and keeping the tales peeps, the three Nintendo peeps from 2, Segata Sanshiro and bringing back Frank West along with maybe adding a few more Nintendo characters like Shulk and Elma)

alas... one of the ppl behind PXZ left Monolith...

D

Deleted member

Or they'll just balance him better in the first place.

Seriously, this fearmongering for brokenness is ridiculous.
If so, good for them.

If not, don't say I did not warn you all if another EVO 2018 Grand Finals happens. And if people don't even complain about it unlike last time, there's pretty much a double standard.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If so, good for them.

If not, don't say I did not warn you all if another EVO 2018 Grand Finals happens. And if people don't even complain about it unlike last time, there's pretty much a double standard.
So long as he's not the final DLC character at a point where development on the game has ended and the dev team more or less disbanded like they did last time...

They should be able to fix him up if he does cause any troubles in a future patch.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
If so, good for them.

.....you do know that balance patches are bound to happen lol
FP5 isn't the final DLC fighter for christ's sake :-/

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

I think the main issue would be that 3rd party characters in trailer never interact with other 3rd parties. The most we've ever had with them being in trailers is the WoL trailer where Snake and Bayonetta were shot with the light beams.

I hope we at least get a fun quip from Dante talking about Bayonetta in the same way Bayonetta's trailer had her smack-talking characters like Pit.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

I mean If he's happening and Bayonetta isn't in his trailer interacting with him why bother including Dante in the game???

D

Deleted member

Now I really want it to be him because the other realistic FP5 outcomes look so meh in comparison.
Rrally? Including female options? Wow. Can't wait to see the criticism on social media about the Fighters Pass being a sausage fest.

So long as he's not the final DLC character at a point where development on the game has ended and the dev team more or less disbanded like they did last time...

They should be able to fix him up if he does cause any troubles in a future patch.
Hehe, I don't trust the dev team especially after they "nerfed" Bayonetta and she still was so dominant.

ZevBenjamin

Smash Apprentice
Yea, I'm not falling for this character spice of the week just to be deconfirmed again. Last week was Gordon and the week before that Doomguy.
It's actually exhausting.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hehe, I don't trust the dev team especially after they "nerfed" Bayonetta and she still was so dominant.
They pretty much dropped the last game's support after a while because they were working on Ultimate. This almost definitely won't be the case with this game.

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Pretty sure these rumours are just the tweets and /v/ posts about Dante which have randomly been springing up the past week. Not going to see this as remotely helping his chances.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Dante would be a huge hype bomb to open season 2. But also, Dante is someone who makes a ton of sense and always has. Incredible character, tons of legacy, and now he's finally on Switch....

Look, I'm still a Capcom nerd through and through. Any Capcom rep has my hyped up.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
DMC is a series I never played and thus have no real attachment to,

Which also means that Dante has a REALLY good chance of getting into Smash ultimate DLC! :4pacman:
Thats one of the main sticking points of Smash, though. The average Smash Ultimate player is likely not going to be super familiar with the majority of the cast, but smash provides a great first impression of many games you wouldn't have normally checked out otherwise. I never considered trying out a traditional 2D fighter before Terry's inclusion, but now I'm genuinely interested in the Fatal Fury and King of Fighters series.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Rrally? Including female options? Wow. Can't wait to see the criticism on social media about the Fighters Pass being a sausage fest.

First of all, the amount of people absolutely thrilled over Dante would completely overshadow the amount of people that will complain about a DLC fighter's pass being primarily male.

Second of all, it's pretty presumptuous to assume he'll be overpowered when we don't even know how he will be implemented, what exactly he's going to carry over from his source games, or if he's even in the game to begin with,

And third of all, Bayonetta has been nerfed so thoroughly she currently sits at 58th on orionstats, meaning characters like Zelda, Piranha Plant, and Bowser Jr. currently having more representation and better results competitively than she does.

Side-note on the last point, I can't help but feel if the situation was reversed and Bayonetta was the one coming in the wake of a hypothetical Dante's dominant Smash 4 run that you wouldn't at all give a damn about the competitive aspect of the game to begin with and would just be excited to have her.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Or they'll just balance him better in the first place.

Seriously, this fearmongering for brokenness is ridiculous.
Yeah, if he makes in I'm not gonna expect him to have Jump Cancelling for instance (interrupting an attack with a jump at the exact frame). If he does, it'll be limited like a once-in-a-jump thing.

Because this is what he can do in this native games once mastered (you only need to watch the first 15-20 seconds):

(Yes, that's murder on one's fingers, the runner has admitted to such. It's a thing in DMC5 too, chose DMC4 because the runner has mastered that game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom