• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Again, bayonetta
It was extremely easy to censor her. They just took away all the sexual stuff and it worked out mostly fine. Kratos is meant to be a brutal killer and I don't see how they could implement that in Smash without raising the games' rating.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
I don't know which Sony reps could get in. Most of them are from extremely violent franchises, like God of War for example.
Even though I disagree with this statement because Kratos and other extremely violent characters got into a kiddie Smash clone like PS Allstars without a problem, everything's coming up Knack 2, baby.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It was extremely easy to censor her. They just took away all the sexual stuff and it worked out mostly fine. Kratos is meant to be a brutal killer and I don't see how they could implement that in Smash without raising the games' rating.
They same way EVERY OTHER CHARACTER DOES IT.

Replace gore with hitsparks. Done.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
You can argue the same for Ridley. You don’t need to have the roster killed in-game to convey the brutality of a character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Even though I disagree with this statement because Kratos and other extremely violent characters got into it kiddy Smash clone like PS Allstars without a problem, everything's coming up Knack 2, baby.
PS All Stars isn't exactly a kiddy party game like Smash is. Most of the games' reps were from darker games, with outliers such as Sackboy, among others. PS All Stars was meant to be a much more complicated game, which was one of the things that made it dead in the water upon its release.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Even then, there's other alternatives to Kratos, such as Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Sackboy, Kat, and Cole McGrath, to name a few.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I don't know which Sony reps could get in. Most of them are from extremely violent franchises, like God of War for example.
While I don't think most of Sony's violent reps would really be that hard to adapt, Sony has a lot of options for 'tame' reps too.
Parappa/Lammy, Vibri, Toro & Kuro, Ratchet/Clank, Jak/Daxter, Sly Cooper, Sir Daniel Fortesque, something from Everyone's Golf, an Ape Escape rep, etc.

And then more standard/middling reps. Ellen, a Wild Arms rep, Kat, Dart, Ico, Wander, Journeyman, etc.

Though with all that in mind, I have a hard time seeing anyone other than Kratos or Toro getting the nod...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
They same way EVERY OTHER CHARACTER DOES IT.

Replace gore with hitsparks. Done.
So the same way Power Rangers used to do it? I dig.

Even then, there's other alternatives to Kratos, such as Nathan Drake, Sly Cooper, Sackboy, Kat, and Cole McGrath, to name a few.
True, but Kratos would stil theoretically be the frontrunner for Sony. Most would argue GoW is their flagship title.

D

Deleted member

Really, the game being male-dominated just enforces the reason why more violent characters like Doomguy or Scorpion are highly requested. Just because Sakurai can make them work into something PG-rated doesn't mean it'll always work.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
While I don't think most of Sony's violent reps would really be that hard to adapt, Sony has a lot of options for 'tame' reps too.
Parappa/Lammy, Vibri, Toro & Kuro, Ratchet/Clank, Jak/Daxter, Sly Cooper, Sir Daniel Fortesque, something from Everyone's Golf, an Ape Escape rep, etc.

And then more standard/middling reps. Ellen, a Wild Arms rep, Kat, Dart, Ico, Wander, Journeyman, etc.

Though with all that in mind, I have a hard time seeing anyone other than Kratos or Toro getting the nod...
I listed some alternatives to Kratos in an above post.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sakurai simply chooses what characters he thinks would be enjoyable to play and usually 3rd party companies don't put strict standards on him and the Smash development team.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Frankly, I fail to see how a character that hasn't been used in over a decade who's owned by Rare, a studio that barely makes anything anymore, which was originally owned by Nintendo and was later acquired by Microsoft, is an example of "Microsoft being in Smash."

Theres a lot of leaps of logic there, and it's still likely that more Microsoft exclusive characters like Master Chief are off the table...meaning a Sony character, is at the bottom of the list of "unlikely" characters. Dreaming is fine as is speculating the possibility, but I wouldn't even get hyped for someone like Master Chief...maybe not even anything from Minecraft.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Frankly, I fail to see how a character that hasn't been used in over a decade who's owned by Rare, a studio that barely makes anything anymore, which was originally owned by Nintendo and was later acquired by Microsoft, is an example of "Microsoft being in Smash."

Theres a lot of leaps of logic there, and it's still likely that more Microsoft exclusive characters like Master Chief are off the table...meaning a Sony character, is at the bottom of the list of "unlikely" characters. Dreaming is fine as is speculating the possibility, but I wouldn't even get hyped for someone like Master Chief...maybe not even anything from Minecraft.
I do agree that Banjo & Kazooie were chosen because of both fan demand and their history and legacy with Nintendo, not to be a rep for Microsoft.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Minecraft should be fine, it's on all of Nintendo's newer systems (Wii U+) and Microsoft is very lenient with Mojang; Minecraft was never an exclusive for them. Nintendo also seemed to embrace Minecraft, allowing a Super Mario MashUp Pack for the game on their systems, a Creeper 3DS, and Steve and Alex are an answer to the question "who would you like to go on a field trip with?" on their PlayNintendo website.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

Microsoft is in the credits

D

Deleted member

When someone asks you who do you think Fighter 5 is and honestly don’t have any confidence on specific characters:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It would debatably be the most surprising way to end off the FP. You know, if it isn't leaked.
Even if it did leak you can bet your ass nobody would believe it.
I don't know how they would censor Kratos without completely neutering the character.
Pretty sure you can take the blood effects out of any GoW game and get a T rating at most. The guy swings blades around and throws axes and does magic ****, I'm sure they can get a moveset where he doesn't gouge Link's eyes out.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If Sony were to get a rep i see it only being either Ratchet or Kratos, those two always felt like Sony's big franchises to me.

Haven't watched in like 10 years, don't blame me.
Modern Power rangers is the one that always does it.

I think the ones from the 90's actually had blood sometimes.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think Ratchet & Clank would be the frontrunner for a Sony character in Smash. It’s their longest running, active series; plus it’d represent how Insomniac finally became an official member of the PlayStation family. The duo has a ton of moveset potential too.

I’m not one to think that Smash is only for cartoon characters, but yeah Ratchet & Clank would naturally fit Smash more than a lot of other Sony series.

I think Nathan Drake has a decent chance since Uncharted is Sony’s highest selling & most critically acclaimed series. I feel Drake is borderline too realistic for Smash, but the supernatural stuff & his crazy platforming feats make him “video game-y” enough for Smash. He’d be a great way to rep PlayStation as well as Naughty Dog; ND’s one of the most beloved game developers of all-time, I definitely think they deserve some love in Smash. Maybe Crash AND Drake?

I’m not sure about Kratos. I love God of War & Kratos would be a ton of fun in Smash. But I feel he’s too violent & unlike characters like Doom Slayer/Scorpion, I feel his personality doesn’t fit in Smash. He’s such an a-hole lmao, I can’t see him meshing well because of that lol.

Doom Slayer is a silent protagonist who doesn’t give a hell about his game’s story with a soft side for cute animals. Scorpion has an honorable side to him especially in the last two games. Kratos? Not so much, though he’s less of a butthole in the 2018 game.

But Kratos is PS’s most iconic character & GOW is their second longest running series after Ratchet, so that alone puts him high up on the possible list.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I really can't see any other Sony rep getting in before Kratos. The dude is the closest thing that Sony has to a mascot, every other character gets like 3-4 games and then disappears to never be seen again. Kratos has been around since the PS2 era and will stick around for the PS5 era. It also helps that a moveset for Kratos can be easily envisioned since he is a fighter at heart.

Speaking of God of War, the art director of GoW made fan art of Smash Bros characters:

gow.jpg

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I really can't see any other Sony rep getting in before Kratos. The dude is the closest thing that Sony has to a mascot, every other character gets like 3-4 games and then disappears to never be seen again. Kratos has been around since the PS2 era and will stick around for the PS5 era. It also helps that a moveset for Kratos can be easily envisioned since he is a fighter at heart.

Speaking of God of War, the artist director of GoW made fan art of Smash Bros characters:

View attachment 247164
As mentioned above, there's still Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Sackboy, and Kat, among other characters.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Speaking of God of War, the artist director of GoW made fan art of Smash Bros characters:
I am slightly unsettled by the fact that he made Movie Sonic before Movie Sonic. And even then, it actually looks a tiny bit better.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
As mentioned above, there's still Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Sackboy, and Kat, among other characters.
Yeah those characters are still around. But let's be honest, I don't picture Nintendo ever approaching Sony for anyone that isn't their top dog. All the characters you mentioned are in hiatus and their future is unclear. We know GoW 5 is getting made (Cory even hinted at such even when it's obvious). It'll be kinda like Cloud, Sakurai and Nintendo asked for the top soldier of Square Enix before any other SE character. I can very well see the same happen in regards to Sony.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
If a Sony rep happens, I see it being either Kratos, Nathan Drake or Rachet & Clank, since their games are considered the heavy hitters of Sony franchises. Although my most wanted Sony reps would be either Wander from Shadow of the Colossus or the Hunter from Bloodborne.

I would like to think that Shadow of the Colossus being a very influential game would help it's case, considering even Breath of the Wild took some inspiration from it. And Bloodborne has worldwide popularity on it's side, being popular in the West, Japan and Europe. But that said, I'm pretty certain Sony would not put them over God of War, Uncharted and the Rachet & Clank series.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have no particular stakes in a Sony rep. Never played their games, but they all look cool in their own right.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah those characters are still around. But let's be honest, I don't picture Nintendo ever approaching Sony for anyone that isn't their top dog. All the characters you mentioned are in hiatus and their future is unclear. We know GoW 5 is getting made (Cory even hinted at such even when it's obvious). It'll be kinda like Cloud, Sakurai and Nintendo asked for the top soldier of Square Enix before any other SE character. I can very well see the same happen in regards to Sony.
Sakurai simply chooses whatever characters he thinks would be exciting to play as, not because of popularity. Sakurai himself stated this.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I think Sony's biggest characters right now are Kratos (Viking look), Astrobot (He's, like, the whole face of PlayStation VR), Aloy, and Knack.

We have to keep in mind that Sony would most likely pick a character who is relevant now. More people nowadays recognize Kratos and Aloy before Daniel or Toro. Sony would want a relevant character while Nintendo would want a legacy character.

i just want toro or nathan drake please

I am slightly unsettled by the fact that he made Movie Sonic before Movie Sonic. And even then, it actually looks a tiny bit better.
Have you heard that they redesigned Sonic and he looks better? Check out the trailer sometime!

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Honestly, giving it some thought, the only real way I see Sony getting into Smash (short of a major shift in the focus of their gaming division) is for a major creative party or executive at Sony to pursue it and push it to the top. And in that case, 'who' the driving force is would probably be what determines the franchise/rep we get.

If it were a top-down decision, I still believe Kratos would be the strongest contender, but if the push comes from a specific studio or project, then it's a different story.

We have to keep in mind that Sony would most likely pick a character who is relevant now. More people nowadays recognize Kratos and Aloy before Daniel or Toro. Sony would want a relevant character while Nintendo would want a legacy character.
I actually hold Toro as reasonably likely when considering a generalized Sony addition simply because he's served as 'the generic Playstation crossover dude'.
When PSO2 moved to consoles, Nintendo gave Zelda gear. Sony gave Toro and Kuro gear.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Sakurai simply chooses whatever characters he thinks would be exciting to play as, not because of popularity. Sakurai himself stated this.
And what happens when the most popular character of a company is also exciting to play as?
I'm not saying popularity is the end all be all, but it does play a factor in roster selection. I'm fairly certain Sakurai said that statement as a response to the people who whined about Terry.

There isn't any precise criteria to see which character is likely, it's ultimately up to the whims of Sakurai. But I'll gladly stick to the claim that if Sony were to get a rep it will be Kratos, that's the one thing I'm sure of.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Same deal with a Xbox rep.
Microsoft actually has a ton of interesting reps they could add:
Master Chief
Marcus Phoenix
Steve
Voodoo Vince