• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
And what happens when the most popular character of a company is also exciting to play as?
I'm not saying popularity is the end all be all, but it does play a factor in roster selection. I'm fairly certain Sakurai said that statement as a response to the people who whined about Terry.

There isn't any precise criteria to see which character is likely, it's ultimately up to the whims of Sakurai. But I'll gladly stick to the claim that if Sony were to get a rep it will be Kratos, that's the one thing I'm sure of.
My argument was that Sakurai could choose a Sony character other than Kratos if he found them exciting to play as.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If we're talking about a Sony rep, I want it to be a 90's Sony character like Parappa the Rapper, Spike from Ape Escape, Daniel Fortesque, Blasto or Tomba. The good ol' days and all that stuff.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
It was extremely easy to censor her. They just took away all the sexual stuff and it worked out mostly fine. Kratos is meant to be a brutal killer and I don't see how they could implement that in Smash without raising the games' rating.
They could easily do a slightly toned down version of Playstation All Star's Kratos and get away with the current rating. They had a pretty good amount of realistic weapons in that game, and got a T rating. I don't see why it'd be a problem to get Kratos in with a E10+ rating. I'd prefer Doomguy or Masterchief though, if I'm honest.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Don't mind me, I'm just gonna bring the biggest video game announcement that has happened all year.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Pokémon really did come out at a good time, huh? Speculation sure is slow lately. Though then again, Terry only just came out, and we're only starting to get close to the days where a that ominous Smash YouTube Channel video might be relevant, so I guess this all is to be expected.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I myself would be upset with a male only pass. The vast majority of my most wanted characters are female.
The majority of my most wanted characters are female too. For me the only way I wouldn't mind a male only pass is if Sora was the 5th fighter we got. However, even then:
(1). I get the feeling he's gonna be saved as the 1st fighter, for the 2nd wave of DLC to hype people up, and

(2) Amaterasu, Shantae, Elma, and Sakura (from Sakura Wars) are pretty much tied for 1st, and 2nd place on my list with Sora in 3rd place so I'd rather at least one of them (two hopefully) before Sora.

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord
Frankly, I fail to see how a character that hasn't been used in over a decade who's owned by Rare, a studio that barely makes anything anymore, which was originally owned by Nintendo and was later acquired by Microsoft, is an example of "Microsoft being in Smash."

Theres a lot of leaps of logic there, and it's still likely that more Microsoft exclusive characters like Master Chief are off the table...meaning a Sony character, is at the bottom of the list of "unlikely" characters. Dreaming is fine as is speculating the possibility, but I wouldn't even get hyped for someone like Master Chief...maybe not even anything from Minecraft.
Microsoft is literally in smash how much deeper do you need to get? If they are in then Microsoft obviously has no problem with it.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I want to see female characters as DLC, but I'm not holding my breath or anything.
Like the great man once said:

"Give me KOS-MOS, or give me death!"
- Patrick Henry

...It went a little something like that, I think.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Pokémon really did come out at a good time, huh? Speculation sure is slow lately. Though then again, Terry only just came out, and we're only starting to get close to the days where a that ominous Smash YouTube Channel video might be relevant, so I guess this all is to be expected.
I would've expected some more "leaks" to happen as we're getting closer to a potential announcement, but I'm seeing surprisingly little of it as of late. Though I'm mostly just checking this thread, I don't dare to venture to 4chan and the sorts. But nothing being mentioned here makes me assume there's little going on.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I knew those plumber brothers were good for something after all.
They actually do plumbing? Generally they're too busy rescuing princesses and such.

I'm glad that we aren't getting any leaks.
I don't particularly mind either to be honest, it's just that we've had such a turbulent period of leak discussions that I'm surprised it's calmed down to this extent.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
They actually do plumbing? Generally they're too busy rescuing princesses and such.
That's still not entirely true, though; they typically spend most of their time playing sports and racing in go karts (often times with the enemy no less) rather than dealing with their actual profession: plumbing.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
How many times has Nintendo self-leaked with Smash? Only times I can recall were with castlevania and SNK.

Also I ended up looking through older discussions and found this:

If they use songs from King of Fighters and other SNK series, I can honestly see Terry releasing with more songs than what Castlevania got since SNK is usually very lenient with crossovers.
Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but wow, Sari was on point.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How many times has Nintendo self-leaked with Smash? Only times I can recall were with castlevania and SNK.
During Brawl, commercials accidentally revealed Lucario (along with Jigglypuff and Ganondorf, who were insanely likely to begin with) through a quick shot of the Stickers page showing a sticker with Pokemon-exclusive effects.

For Ultimate, they also revealed the Home Run contest through a commercial, presumably by accident.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
During Brawl, commercials leaked Lucario (along with Jigglypuff and Ganondorf, who were insanely likely to begin with) through a quick shot of the Stickers page showing a sticker with Pokemon-exclusive effects.

For Ultimate, they also leaked the Home Run contest through a commercial.
Actually, it was the Stage Builder that got leaked through a commercial.

Seanapotamus

Smash Journeyman
When the box for the Special Edition was announced, there were two empty slots at the time, and based on how the slots were laid out, one was an echo fighter (revealed to be Ken) and one was a standalone character (Incineroar), which is where the "Box Theory" came in (wasn't really a theory despite being called that). I think the special edition box announcement accidentally showed us how many characters were left in the base game.

Some others:
  • Stage Builder was accidentally leaked in an April commercial
  • Nintendo accidentally showing Hero's release in "July" in an earlier version of a video
  • 8 Dragon Quest spirits were accidentally uploaded on the spirit database before Hero's presentation

P.Kat

Smash Champion
And eating cake any chance they get, which is usually after facing certain death, Bowser. Jr, Bowser's adoptees and Bowser himself.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Also I ended up looking through older discussions and found this:

Not sure if anyone pointed this out, but wow, Sari was on point.
I am now convinced that Sari can see into the future.

Jassassino

Smash Apprentice
I also hate being that guy, but Spider-Man first and foremost is a COMIC BOOK character! Yes, he’s had video games, but his main source material that originated from is from comic books first!

I know as of these days we like to say, Smash almost don’t have any actual rules anymore, aside from some minor exceptions, but if there is STILL one rule left standing, it has to be: “it must be from video game origin” or they have to be strictly video game characters! That’s really the only rule left to when it comes to a character inclusion for Smash.

It’s like comic book characters are becoming the new argument, like anime characters. It doesn’t help that just yesterday, I saw someone on Twitter really ask for Wolverine and tried to make an argument for that. Besides if Sony really were to get one anyway, it would be Kratos or even Nathan Drake.
Chief I weren't serious. I even stated I know it wouldn't happen, it's not like I was casting legitimate theories.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
For definite. I'd really like someone like Lightning or Tifa if we got another FF Rep in Smash, or the obvious others in Lara Croft or Ellie.
Lara would be great, and as for FF, Lightning, and Tifa would be great, but I'm personally hoping for Terra Branford, it'd be wild if her trance ability acts like Cloud's own but allows her to transform into an Esper with heightened speed, attack, and magic/specials. Another FF pick for me which is kinda out there is Freya Crescent. It'll be cool to play as a dragoon and use a lance in Smash, and with her high jump, she could probably jump higher than Greninja, I can also see her being invulnerable when jumping like Yoshi, but still take damage. Also just imagine raining spears upon your enemies from the sky in mid air that would be a blast.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If we were to get another FF Rep, I would like one of the other main characters, preferably Bartz as I frickin' love Final Fantasy V and he was one of the ones mentioned by Sakurai when thinking of an FF character, alongside Cloud and Terra. If it has to be another FF7 Rep, than either Sephiroth or Tifa.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
For a female FF pick, there's only one who'd do the trick.
With power, presence, wit, and grace, she'd also bring in a new race.
So forget about the other fluff - it's time for Shantotto to play rough.

If we were to get another FF Rep, I would like one of the other main characters, preferably Bartz as I frickin' love Final Fantasy V and he was one of the ones mentioned by Sakurai when thinking of an FF character, alongside Cloud and Terra. If it has to be another FF7 Rep, than either Sephiroth or Tifa.
Honestly, Gilgamesh would probably be the most 'reasonable' pick for another character. He's one of the few characters to canonically remain the same across multiple installments, he has a large arsenal to pull moves from, multiple designs to pull costumes from, a built-in stage with various incarnations they could swap between (Big Bridge), and he just 'fits' Smash rather well.

Last edited:

Stormy Rain

Smash Rookie
Sakurai simply chooses whatever characters he thinks would be exciting to play as, not because of popularity. Sakurai himself stated this.
It is a case by case basis. Some characters no one asked for such as Ice Climbers, Roy, Corrin, Olimar, Wii Fit Trainer, Piranha Plant, was Sakurai’s interest or interest of other people. However, he also stated that characters like Snake’s return, Mewtwo’s return, King. K Rool, Little Mac, Banjo and Kazooie, Ridley, was by fan demand. He also said said as much for Hero and Cloud Strife despite them thinking they are “impossible” to happen.

https://attackofthefanboy.com/news/...inal-fantasy-representative-super-smash-bros/
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/#more-5563
https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...scrapped-initially-just-luminary-and-erdrick/

Sakurai: "This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. [TN1] I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try."

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait to get two more Final Fantasy songs in Smash.

I'm glad that we aren't getting any leaks.
Leaks? At this time of year? At this point in the Fighters Pass? In this part of the Smash community, localized entirely within these forums?

1574130102380.png

...may we see them?

1574130142713.png

I jest, but Game Awards. Someone gonna probably drop something.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
King. K Rool, Little Mac, Banjo and Kazooie, Ridley, was by fan demand. He also said said as much for Hero and Cloud Strife despite them thinking they are “impossible” to happen.
Don't forget:ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultrichter:

And granted I'd also imagine:ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:and the Belmont fitting into the "Fun" category.

Last edited:

Night Gale

Smash Ace
On the subject of SquareEnix, can we talk about how Vagrant Story is one of the best most forgotten gems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom