• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You do you. I’m not knocking on people who enjoy him. I just personally though his moveset was A bit too basic for me.

FWIW I still enjoy playing him sometimes and he has some of the best animations in the game.
Banjo is... Ok.

I never played a Banjo game in my life so he just isn't as exciting as Eight from Dragon Quest 8, who I literally wanted for years.

He's not bad... But he isn't so hype for myself.

D

Deleted member

Since we have no news on FP5 yet, here's a simple question for ya'll:

How many characters you wanted in Smash are currently in the Fighter Pass? Right now, I'm 0 - 4, which kills me inside that this Fighter Pass hasn't had anyone that I wanted to see.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I never played a Banjo game in my life so he just isn't as exciting as Eight from Dragon Quest 8, who I literally wanted for years.
I was pretty underwhelmed when Hero was announced.

But me n Erdrick kamikaze hoes ALL DAY

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

How many characters you wanted in Smash are currently in the Fighter Pass? Right now, I'm 0 - 4, which kills me inside that this Fighter Pass hasn't had anyone that I wanted to see.
just :ult_terry:

which is funny because i never expected him to be in smash for a long, long time. i took a double take when i saw that the SNK leak was legit.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
Question for the thread since the topic of gimmicks seems to have semi-appeared again. What do you think of the chances of characters with similar gimmicks appearing within the same pass? Is it much like a dealbreaker?

For example, Tales characters seem to operate similar to Hero in regards to special attacks being tied to an MP bar that gets replenished. And while Terry has commands like Ryu, there are no other characters like that in the pass.
Honestly I'm tired of gimmicks. I just want another character without some special thing to them. I mean we already have
:ultbanjokazooie: Wonderwing
:ultcloud: Limit
:ulthero: Himself
:ultincineroar: Revenge
:ultinkling: :ultinklingboy: Ink Tank
:ultisabelle: Pocket
:ultjoker: Fursona Persona
:ultkirby: Copy
:ultlittlemac: KO Meter
:ultlucario: Aura
:ultolimar::ultalph: Pikmin
:ultrosalina: Luma
:ultshulk: Monado Arts
:ult_terry: Go
:ultvillager::ultvillagerf: Pocket
:ultwario: Waft
:ultwiifittrainer::ultwiifittrainerm: Deep Breathing
:ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard: Character Swap

Can't we just get another Mario? Or a Falcon? Just somebody with no gauges or charge moves or attacks with increased power or a helper or a pocket or any-f**king-thing?

D

Deleted member

Ignoring all my other most wanted picks who got in during base game, the Fighter Pass actually had the most wanted pick who felt the closest to being a never-ever: Eight from DQ8.

Still to this day, I see him as the best DLC fighter so far.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What the **** nobody told me this

1 as of Terry. Feels good that Smash finally came full circle after the KOF inspiration

D

Deleted member

1-3 (Banjo-Kazooie being someone who I wanted). I'm glad that the bear and bird are in and that we can lay speculating about them to rest for now but the Fighters Pass could've been better imo.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Can't we just get another Mario? Or a Falcon? Just somebody with no gauges or charge moves or attacks with increased power or a helper or a pocket or any-f**king-thing?
What do you mean?

1573865194713.png

This is a charge move with specific properties that are only shared by, IIRC, only 2 other characters in the game?

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

None.

I grew to love Joker after playing Persona 5 though, and Terry is a cool pick from a series that I find pretty enjoyable, but he wasn't among my most desired.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Honestly I'm tired of gimmicks. I just want another character without some special thing to them
Link has 2 arrows, remote bombs, and a Smash attack projectile when at 0 health

Kirby can copy abilities

Luigi has a special B up

Puff makes ppl fall asleep

Peach n Daisy can pull bombs out of the ground

Bowser takes rapid jabs and his shell has ridiculous super armor

Ice Climbers have two players

The list goes on and on and on and on and on

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Now you can help turn it into an echo chamber :p
Hell yeah the second best game of 2019 deserves to get it's own echo chamber here. Learned new **** about the game recently cause my favourite lets play channel's covering it, only reason I haven't been meme shilling her like I have with Sol is cause I don't believe she'll even get a mii costume

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The only character deserving of copying Falcon is his rival.

1573865485575.png

Black Shadow is the only good thing that came out of the F-Zero anime

D

Deleted member

Hell yeah the second best game of 2019 deserves to get it's own echo chamber here. Learned new **** about the game recently cause my favourite lets play channel's covering it, only reason I haven't been meme shilling her like I have with Sol is cause I don't believe she'll even get a mii costume
Hopefully Bloodstained does manage to get representación!

I still need to play the game (my father is being an asshole and doesn't want to cooperate with my mother and I), but It does look really awesome at first glance!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Kirby can copy abilities

Luigi has a special B up

One of our first arguments was caused cause I said Banjo had a gimmick and you disagreed. *sniff* they grow up so fast

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Well, if we're talking really want, then 1 out of 4. Wanted the bear and bird since Brawl.

Though I guess I could put in a 0.5 for Terry just because of the SNK factor, but... there's a Kyo-shaped hole in my Kyo-shaped heart...

That said, it speaks a lot about my satisfaction with the current Pass lineup when the character I liked the least of the four (Hero) is still one i kinda like.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace

1. Banjo is pretty much it.

I get Hero, and don't begrudge the choice because DQ definitely has the clout to merit it though I've never been particularly big on him.
Wish they would have actually named the alts though rather than sticking with a title for a name. :-/

For Terry, I actually did want to see SNK get into the game, so on that front, he's great... He's just not the SNK rep I wanted. Or the runner up. Or in the top 5...
But at least it got SNK back into the public discourse a bit.

I don't expect any others on my list are going to happen throughout the DLC cycle, unfortunately. Maybe Reimu if the characters aren't all from major partners, but the characters I care about from bigger companies are likely not even on the radar for the Smash team. :-(

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026

Kirby can copy abilities

Luigi has a special B up

TBH I was mostly ranting about how so far everyone in the Fighter's Pass has an obvious gimmick (Go, Arsene, Mana, and I actually take back Wonderwing). It's just characters with meters. I don't want any more of those for a while. It doesn't feel fast paced if you're waiting to fill up your meter to do big boy damage the whole time.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It doesn't feel fast paced if you're waiting to fill up your meter to do big boy damage the whole time.
You're never waiting for a meter, though? They don't automatically fill up, you have to fight and take damage in order to fill it up.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
TBH I was mostly ranting about how so far everyone in the Fighter's Pass has an obvious gimmick (Go, Arsene, Mana, and I actually take back Wonderwing). It's just characters with meters. I don't want any more of those for a while. It doesn't feel fast paced if you're waiting to fill up your meter to do big boy damage the whole time.
I guess but if someone w a meter is camping then theyre not playing right.

I dont understand why everyone says that Wonder Wing is a much a "gimmick" as Joker or Cloud's guage, etc.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Can't argue against this for Joker as there's a reason he's the best.
If you're just waiting for Hero's MP to refill instead of attacking to get it back significantly faster then you deserve to be banned from playing Smash.
Terry already does big boy damage, GO just gives him 2 more options

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
One of our first arguments was caused cause I said Banjo had a gimmick and you disagreed. *sniff* they grow up so fast
I still do disagree

I dont think any character has a "gimmick"

anyone wanting a roster of 70 Marios is misguided

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Honestly I'm tired of gimmicks. I just want another character without some special thing to them. I mean we already have
:ultjoker:Fursona Persona
:ultpokemontrainer::ultpokemontrainerf::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard: Character Swap

See the problem is the only reason characters like Mario and Falcon don't have "gimmicks" is because of the era. They're part of the remnants of the game Sakurai was going to make before he made them Nintendo characters, especially Falcon. I guarentee you if they were added into Smash in any game after, they'd have a gimmick.

Gimmicks are what make these characters stand out, because they're usually attributed to their series. They wouldn't be who they are without em.

That's it I'm disowning you. From now on all you get to play is that one 360 game about making vehicles
Shush, Nuts and Bolts is great.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
I just want another character that is easier to get the hang of in the Fighter's Pass. For Joker, you have to learn how to make the best out of Arsene and how to get used to a tether recovery. For Hero, you have the Mana meter and his down B. For Banjo, you have to get his recovery down well and know when to use Wonderwing properly. For Terry, you need to learn how to use input commands (if you wanna make use of Go) and how to execute combos efficiently.

I want a new character that is just simple in the Fighter's Pass, the kind where I could hand the controller to somebody who has never played Smash and they would understand how the character worked within one or two matches.

People who get Smash for the first time because their favorite video game character is a DLC fighter want to be able to understand them quickly. If you've never played Smash but love Persona 5, it would take you a while to get used to the mechanics of how Joker works in Smash.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Joker is really the only character that's kinda like this. Hero can only charge his MP with his normal attacks and Terry can only use his supers when he's at 100% or higher. If you wait for the former you get nothing and if you wait for the latter then you put yourself at a major disadvantage.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

0-4 but it doesn't mean I'm unhappy with the pass. I've been enjoying every character that comes out. My wants are just unlikely (Turok/Excitebiker) or are already AT this edition (Kyrstal/Bomberman). Don't think there's much they could do to bitter me on additions to the game since they've all been super fun.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
0-4 but it doesn't mean I'm unhappy with the pass. I've been enjoying every character that comes out. My wants are just unlikely (Turok/Excitebiker) or are already AT this edition (Kyrstal/Bomberman). Don't think there's much they could do to bitter me on additions to the game since they've all been super fun.
Turok was a comic character first, no?

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

1 - 3 for me. Banjo & Kazooie replaced Mario as my main although I don't even go online or go to any tournaments.

Now the only character that I truly want who even has a chance of getting in is Doom Guy. After that my list is full of never evers like Tomba, Sir Daniel Fortesque, Maxim (Lufia II) and the most sad for me being... Sgt, Cortez.

The other characters are alright. Joker is fine, Hero is fine but I got bored of Terry fast. Now I'm waiting for Fighter #5.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

Banjo is hype as hell and I'm pleasantly surprised how much I love Terry. Joker and Hero are cool but I don't love them

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

2/4 at the moment. I was only vaguely aware of Persona before the Smash announcement (I had downloaded Persona 5 due to the rave reviews, even from people who normally don't like JRPGs, but I hadn't played it at the time and didn't want to spoil the game by looking anything up), and while I understood Dragon Quest's historical significance, there were plenty of other Square-Enix characters that I would have gotten more excited about.

On the other hand, Banjo was a dream-come-true moment for me (I grew up playing Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, but before this DLC speculation period, I would have figured that he was impossible, or at least extremely unlikely), and if we got an SNK character, Terry was my top pick. (I find him more entertaining, out of SNK's main mascots or the faces of their series)

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Turok was a comic character first, no?
Technically, yes, but is far more recognized by his video game adaptations (Both Tal'Set and Joshua). Plus the original Turok comics had little to do with what the video games deal with (It was actually just before the games came out that the comics began to establish the lore the games use but prior are completely separate entities where the original Turok was basically just a Native American in some weird situations, then the game made it so Turok wasn't an individual but instead a title for a protector of a mystical land.

I'd especially be happy if either Turok got in since Switch got the remasters recently and were for a long while N64 exclusives and solid shooters for their era. Turok 2 is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
:ultjoker:Fursona Persona

People really stretching it when they call the Wonderwall and Revenge (which is littearly just a counter) gimmick

D

Deleted member

Only 1 so far (Terry). Though Joker made up for my salt by introducing me to the franchise.

Night Gale

Smash Ace

Wtf how? Why? Certainly not when we're paying for this ****?

If you don't want characters with specific traits that set them apart from others in some manner then you want a boring ass game. They would have to go out of their way to find a popular character who's that generic. Even Ryu has what you would classify as a gimmick and he's typically as honest as it gets. lmao I was going to list Banjo-Kazooie because they are comparatively simple compared to every newcomer since Lucina, but you had Wonderwing on your list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom