• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I should note though, that we've seen Atlus', Rare's and SNK's main characters join, and out of those B-K were the only one definetely out of the "relevancy" spectrum. All of those three were likewise popular in one circle or another, so it's not like that's a non-factor either. I'm leaving out Hero because DQ is DQ, both fitting the "popular" and "relevant" criteria in Japan by a mile.

That said, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he meant that comment as a small Take That towards Tencent / other big companies like EA. Hardcore speculating here, but if Sakurai / Furukawa recieve all these offers from third party companies, there's bound to be quite a few character suggestions that mention "relevancy" and "popular in-". Perhaps even first. That's gotta be really irritating for a guy who by all accounts prizes design and fun first and foremost.
It’d be interesting to see how many third parties have come to Sakurai that he’s rejected. I have to imagine Shantae & especially Rayman were some of them.

I don’t see why else they’d be a trophy/spirit instead of playable characters. It might also explain why Ubisoft seemingly gave up & added Rayman to that other platform fighter. Two rejections was enough for them, sadly.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
https://nintendoeverything.com/nint...ltimate-fighters-pass-made-huge-contribution/

Maybe I'm thinking this too much, but honestly, I have a feeling that the pass being successful may have a giant impact on what future DLC characters may come down the line, even though that'd likely just mean more third-party characters.
More third-party characters are totally fine and I love seeing how many new game worlds they can introduce to Smash, but please throw fans of Nintendo's own franchises a bone by offering a few first-party picks.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Dlc made 661 MILLION DOLLARS?!??
YOU BET AS S*** THERES GONNA BE A LOT OF NEW CHARACTERS JESUS
And imagine if a mainstream character like Crash or Steve got in the game, they would probably make 100 million alone!

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Alright so THEORETICALLY Fighter 5 IS NOT:

- Crash
- Hayabusa
- Doom Slayer
- Geno
- Scorpion
- A character affiliated w/ Sega/Atlus, Square, Micro/Rare, and SNK

Who are the biggest names that are contenders for FP5 atm?

Eldrake

Smash Lord

- Crash
- Hayabusa
- Doom Slayer
- Geno
- Scorpion

Gordon Freeman would be a major bombshell for a variety of reasons. Maybe not necessary likely, but could be a great choice to finish the fighter's pass with.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
You're totally right. I was relatively disappointed with Metroid (and Donkey Kong) music in general, honestly. The music selection for Metroid is average in my opinion, and as a fan it hurts a bit.

I mean they don't have to remix everything, for me it's enough to have the original theme. I don't think including Dark Samus own theme is something complicated. :( I love his theme.
Metroid definitely has a few missed opportunities in the music department. IMO, the biggest one is a remix of the Torvus Bog Subterranean (Metroid Prime 2)/Lower Brinstar (Super Metroid) theme. They sound pretty good merged together (the song picks up around the 38 second mark) and we have a Brinstar stage. We could've had a chill Space Western meets X-files theme. D:

On the other hand, we got Ridley... so we should also count our blessings, ahaha.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

- Crash
- Hayabusa
- Doom Slayer
- Geno
- Scorpion

Resident Evil, Phoenix Wright, or Lloyd feel like the top contenders right now. Maybe Heihachi but I still think him being added to Pac-Man's taunts are a signal that they don't want him as a fighter at the moment

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

- Crash
- Hayabusa
- Doom Slayer
- Geno
- Scorpion

Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

- Crash
- Hayabusa
- Doom Slayer
- Geno
- Scorpion

I think a Capcom or Namco character is likely, with the latter more so than the former.

and then there’s the potential curveball of them being from NINTENDO themselves...

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Y'all are talking about tragic music exclusions, and no one's mentioning how Xenoblade Chronicles X literally has no music in the game. smh

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Since Doom Slayer is out of the running now, I'm completely onboard the KOS-MOS for Fighter #5 train.

SKX31

Smash Master
At this rate, I'll might as well make a tehponycorn-esque writeup about Tencent, if there's enough interest for the Elephant in the Room.

There's been a Wall Street Journal article doing the rounds lately: Tencent wants to expand their partnership with Nintendo and make console games. With Nintendo characters. For the American and European markets at that. Aside from "Of course that money-grubbing company would" and "Why did you do this Nintendo?" (I've also seen Chinese commenters say this, FTR), there's a couple things I think are notable:

* First, Nintendo's been silent, declining to comment to either WSJ or Bloomberg when the latter asked Ninty for a comment. IMHO that's the smartest option: Tencent is infamous for their knockoffs (you know it when another Chinese CEO said "Pony Ma [Tencent's founder] is a notorious king of copying."), and are also notorious for taking the first chance they can get. Tencent did insert DC heroes - like Superman and Batman - into Arena of Valor (their LoL mobile knockoff) in Western versions of the game. So Nintendo treading very lightly on this is smart. A mobile Pokemon game is one thing, console games are another ball game entirely.

* There might actually be room, though: Tencent owns an indie company, NEXT Studios. NEXT seems to be an actually consistent indie dev who gets great reviews on Steam, and Tencent leaves them alone. Silver linings and all, sure. But I could likewise see Nintendo okaying a spin off. Strongly doubt we'll see a Pokemon / Nintendo MOBA any time soon though. Unless that's what that Pokemon mobile game is.

* Tencent did promise Nintendo that a few million Switches would go to Chinese hands during its lifetime. That would still be a new console record there: The PS4 stands at 1.5 million in China. Or just around 0,1 % of the Chinese population. That feels incredibly weird to see, even with China having virtually no console history. I'll go ahead and give my thoughs:

* Anything below 2-3 million will probably be seen as bad. Tencent made the move for the Switch since it's portable, and mobile gaming's YUGE in China.
* 3-7 million will be fully okay, and within expectations.
* 8-10 million would probably be good if not great, and anything beyond 10 million is cause for celebration. That would also mean China becomes another major region for Nintendo.

Not gonna guess where the Switch will land since we don't know vital info about it just yet. Whether there's a region lock or not, what the price is, which games will launch. Etc. I'll personally wait until Nintendo / Tencent confirms stuff during their upcoming presentation. They'll likely hold said presentation when they have government approval (which will be soon)

All in all, this move by Tencent will likely complicate anything related to Ultimate's DLC. If Tencent's too bold it could easily put a massive hurdle for them. I strongly doubt Furukawa will allow this willy-nilly, and Nintendo will likely be really, really cautious about this. Sure, it's one thing for Nintendo to release Mario Kart Tour, but when they've already associated themselves with a "notorious king of copying" Nintendo higher ups are, IMHO, likely to ask for something unique at least.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

- Crash
- Hayabusa
- Doom Slayer
- Geno
- Scorpion

Agumon
Chosen Undead
Dante
Dovahkiin
KOS-MOS
Resident Evil rep
Sora (He's an Disney rep)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Y'all are talking about tragic music exclusions, and no one's mentioning how Xenoblade Chronicles X literally has no music in the game. smh
Black Tar is literally the only thing I want added right now.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Dovahkiin
I'm glad people are starting to give Dragonborn a little more attention!
Happy Birthday, Skyrim!

Also part of me hopes that Namco isn't FP5 so that the Prince of All Cosmos has better odds. Since he's in Pac's taunt, he'd be way more likely as an additional DLC character rather than a Fighter's Pass character, judging by when he Fighter's Pass characters were negotiated.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Dark Souls is, for lack of a better term, a dark horse pick.

While not INHERENTLY a Sony rep, Miyazaki and From support the hell out of Playstation. Souls was unique IP thats obviously made its mark on modern gaming as we know it "This game is the Dark Souls of ___".

Sakurai loves celebrating those who respect and love the craft of game making. Miyazaki is obviously under that umbrella.

Itd be prettyyyyyyyyyyy cool (and would generate a TON of hype if revealed at the VGAs...)

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Yeaaaaaaahhh 3rd parties are neat and all, but I'd like to see some Nintendo characters as well. I know a ton of people think it's "boring" but I just want some modern Kirby love, man. Just gimme at least Bandana Dee or something.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
At this rate, I'll might as well make a tehponycorn-esque writeup about Tencent, if there's enough interest for the Elephant in the Room.

There's been a Wall Street Journal article doing the rounds lately: Tencent wants to expand their partnership with Nintendo and make console games. With Nintendo characters. For the American and European markets at that. Aside from "Of course that money-grubbing company would" and "Why did you do this Nintendo?" (I've also seen Chinese commenters say this, FTR), there's a couple things I think are notable:

* First, Nintendo's been silent, declining to comment to either WSJ or Bloomberg when the latter asked Ninty for a comment. IMHO that's the smartest option: Tencent is infamous for their knockoffs (you know it when another Chinese CEO said "Pony Ma [Tencent's founder] is a notorious king of copying."), and are also notorious for taking the first chance they can get. Tencent did insert DC heroes - like Superman and Batman - into Arena of Valor (their LoL mobile knockoff) in Western versions of the game. So Nintendo treading very lightly on this is smart. A mobile Pokemon game is one thing, console games are another ball game entirely.

* There might actually be room, though: Tencent owns an indie company, NEXT Studios. NEXT seems to be an actually consistent indie dev who gets great reviews on Steam, and Tencent leaves them alone. Silver linings and all, sure. But I could likewise see Nintendo okaying a spin off. Strongly doubt we'll see a Pokemon / Nintendo MOBA any time soon though. Unless that's what that Pokemon mobile game is.

* Tencent did promise Nintendo that a few million Switches would go to Chinese hands during its lifetime. That would still be a new console record there: The PS4 stands at 1.5 million in China. Or just around 0,1 % of the Chinese population. That feels incredibly weird to see, even with China having virtually no console history. I'll go ahead and give my thoughs:

* Anything below 2-3 million will probably be seen as bad. Tencent made the move for the Switch since it's portable, and mobile gaming's YUGE in China.
* 3-7 million will be fully okay, and within expectations.
* 8-10 million would probably be good if not great, and anything beyond 10 million is cause for celebration. That would also mean China becomes another major region for Nintendo.

Not gonna guess where the Switch will land since we don't know vital info about it just yet. Whether there's a region lock or not, what the price is, which games will launch. Etc. I'll personally wait until Nintendo / Tencent confirms stuff during their upcoming presentation. They'll likely hold said presentation when they have government approval (which will be soon)

All in all, this move by Tencent will likely complicate anything related to Ultimate's DLC. If Tencent's too bold it could easily put a massive hurdle for them. I strongly doubt Furukawa will allow this willy-nilly, and Nintendo will likely be really, really cautious about this. Sure, it's one thing for Nintendo to release Mario Kart Tour, but when they've already associated themselves with a "notorious king of copying" Nintendo higher ups are, IMHO, likely to ask for something unique at least.
...Is there a word for being hyped and scared at the same time?

I think in terms of newcomers, a pick from a bigger company that Tencent has a hand in (like Blizzard, Epic or Riot) is more likely than their in-house stuff, no?

For the other stuff, I think everything would be developed under the eye of NOJ either way, so it's not like they will just accept anything Tencent offers them imo. Let's wait to see how this develops and hope it's a good thing.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm glad people are starting to give Dragonborn a little more attention!
Happy Birthday, Skyrim!

Also part of me hopes that Namco isn't FP5 so that the Prince of All Cosmos has better odds. Since he's in Pac's taunt, he'd be way more likely as an additional DLC character rather than a Fighter's Pass character, judging by when he Fighter's Pass characters were negotiated.
What if...

Doom Slayer is a Mii Gunner and we get Dovahkiin as FP5.

Mii Leak was real along and tied to FP5 just not the way we thought.

KatKit

Smash Lord
As an Elma supporter, that's one of our talking points though. It's kinda a good thing we don't have music (yet?).

Last edited:

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
If we get Namco as FP#5, my bets are on either Velvet/Yuri or KOS-MOS. We have yet to see if a third-party Mii Fighter costume from Sm4sh will make the upgrade to playable status.

Would love to be surprised by a playable Lloyd or Heihachi, though.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Yeaaaaaaahhh 3rd parties are neat and all, but I'd like to see some Nintendo characters as well. I know a ton of people think it's "boring" but I just want some modern Kirby love, man. Just gimme at least Bandana Dee or something.
im with you, but its a very safe bet to asssume FP5 is 3rd party.

im keeping my fingers crossed that the future DLC is first/second party

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Xenoblade in general was handled pretty poorly with the music choices, IMO.
Xenoblade got kinda screwed over in general I feel like. No Elma, no Rex. We know why Rex didn't make it but I feel like Elma could've easily made it to the base roster.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
So what're the current points of speculation? It's been almost a year since I logged into Smashboards, LOL. Who're the speculation front-runners?

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
The Dark Souls rep is Lautrec of Carim. He can hit through shields, but can't harm Palutena.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
So what're the current points of speculation? It's been almost a year since I logged into Smashboards, LOL. Who're the speculation front-runners?
Heres really what we can speculate at the moment:

THEORETICALLY Fighter 5 IS NOT
- Crash
- Hayabusa
- Doom Slayer
- Geno
- Scorpion

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Heres really what we can speculate at the moment:

THEORETICALLY Fighter 5 IS NOT
- Crash
- Hayabusa
- Doom Slayer
- Geno
- Scorpion
Well, that's just fantastic. Madotsuki doesn't fit any of that criteria, so that means she's confirmed! Or... something along those lines. I think.
...All jokes aside, I think it's Reimu.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
...Is there a word for being hyped and scared at the same time?

I think in terms of newcomers, a pick from a bigger company that Tencent has a hand in (like Blizzard, Epic or Riot) is more likely than their in-house stuff, no?

For the other stuff, I think everything would be developed under the eye of NOJ either way, so it's not like they will just accept anything Tencent offers them imo. Let's wait to see how this develops and hope it's a goid thing.
Yeah, I feel that the companies they have a hand in is more likely (I do consider Riot to be practically in-house though), and those connections might be a major reason why Nintendo chose to approach them.

Still, I'm still standing by my opinion that Nintendo has the upper hand here. The fact that Tencent wants to learn how to develop console games from Nintendo's own engineers only solidifies my stance - it's Nintendo who have most of the cards and stand to possibly gain the most.

And yea, I do agree with your last point, thankfully NOJ won't accept everything. Lets just hope it turns out well.

Xenoblade got kinda screwed over in general I feel like. No Elma, no Rex. We know why Rex didn't make it but I feel like Elma could've easily made it to the base roster.
It's a shame, because I absolutely adore X's and Chronicle 2's OST (haven't played either game yet, but I'm interested). Not sure about Ultimate's DLC, but I don't get the impression Xenoblade will be ignored - far from it.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Talking about the General Public with this question, not us on this message board or Reddit: Are there any characters that they could reveal that would make the general gaming population go "Ohhh ****!" Like we had with Sonic, Snake, to a lesser extent, Ridley? I think only a small portion of the gaming fandom would flip out over Doomguy. Maybe Master Chief? I'm just curious, was thinking how crazy it is that we have most of the huge names in the game already (again, big names in the general public).

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Well, that's just fantastic. Madotsuki doesn't fit any of that criteria, so that means she's confirmed! Or... something along those lines. I think.
...All jokes aside, I think it's Reimu.
I also think it is Reimu too or a character noone has been really talking about.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Talking about the General Public with this question, not us on this message board or Reddit: Are there any characters that they could reveal that would make the general gaming population go "Ohhh ****!" Like we had with Sonic, Snake, to a lesser extent, Ridley? I think only a small portion of the gaming fandom would flip out over Doomguy. Maybe Master Chief? I'm just curious, was thinking how crazy it is that we have most of the huge names in the game already (again, big names in the general public).
Frankly, there are no video game characters left capable of dwarfing the hype of fighters such as Cloud in 2015, and Ridley in 2018. That's not a bad thing, though. Honestly, it doesn't matter much to me who a fighter is. Just seeing somebody new in Smash is always a good time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom