• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New videos of Roy_R from Hobo14!!!!!

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I saw the stream, so Im not gonna watch, but its amazing how he meteor smashes good players consistently, its like wtf rofl.

But yeah too good.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
And this is RoyR after 3-4 months of not playing competitive smash?

Scary. :( Good stuff Roy.

Hylian do you know if Roy vs Dmg was recorded?

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

I hope so, that set was amazing.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
He's got to be the best Marth out there right now. I've never seen someone consistently meteor smash people like that. He plays so well against MK, and he hasn't been playing much lately. Good stuff.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Someone needs to tell Royr about grab release to spike...it was spaced perfectly on several occasions and he didnt do it.(vs dojo)

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Someone needs to tell Royr about grab release to spike...it was spaced perfectly on several occasions and he didnt do it.
Pretty sure MK can get a uair before it hits. I mean they can escape nair so I do see how dair would work. What they need to tell him is to angle his shield for the whorenado lol

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931

I have no Idea if out set was recorded. Probably not cause I don't remember either Roy or I Saving replays in the middle of it all or anything.

Also, Nair is not escapable from a grab release (unless they are near the edge, I dunno what you can get other than Fair near the edge). I mean yeah they can try to SDI it but you can guarantee it, the timing and spacing are weird.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I have no Idea if out set was recorded. Probably not cause I don't remember either Roy or I Saving replays in the middle of it all or anything.

Also, Nair is not escapable from a grab release (unless they are near the edge, I dunno what you can get other than Fair near the edge). I mean yeah they can try to SDI it but you can guarantee it, the timing and spacing are weird.
MK can definitely get out of it, we've been over this here a lot

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MK can definitely get out of it, we've been over this here a lot
Are you sure? I've just tested it a buttload of times (I'm thinking about using Marth vs MK actually in tournament next), in training mode and in Vs. Mode, and MK's best shot was to SDI the first hit of Nair to avoid the second or try to beat it with Uair, which Uair wouldn't occur/have the time to come out unless I ran too far before I did the Nair. Airdodge was also too slow.

But IDK I don't main Marth, if you guys say it can't be done then I'll take your word for it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
PD...

Nair is a guaranteed grab release combo on meta, the problem is the timing is horrendously hard/strict.

Also the spacing is painful too, if you tip the first hit of nair, Metaknight will be able to DI/avoid the second hit with ease.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
PD...

Nair is a guaranteed grab release combo on meta, the problem is the timing is horrendously hard/strict.

Also the spacing is painful too, if you tip the first hit of nair, Metaknight will be able to DI/avoid the second hit with ease.
So in other words, not worth it at all XP

For some reason I thought we'd come to the conclusion it just doesn't work. Eh, not that it matters. Pulling that off in a real match would be ridic

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I've pulled it off in matches, it's just that you pretty much have to MOVE the instant you release MK, and doing that is the hard part.
Naw I got that part down, I keep thinking it's like the Fair where I can run/jump imediately and throw it out when I have to delay the jump a bit to get the right distance.

And yeah Roy is good, now I won't use Diddy vs him lol.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I've pulled it off in matches, it's just that you pretty much have to MOVE the instant you release MK, and doing that is the hard part.
That parts easy, please provide a video where you can tipper nair mk -_-

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
This is more directed to the first video vs. Infinity, but I noticed mk would always try to attack marth as he was coming back on leaving a little bit of distance, at least what I saw in pokemon stadium. How effective would counter have been? mk had a few small charged smashes and countering them could have given marth a little more space and a change to be defensive. Plus it could have gotten mk to stop attacking from the ledge like that. Anyway would counter seem like a good idea in that situation?

Fizzle

Smash Journeyman
There's always a better option than counter. Countering a charged smash is (almost always) a bad idea, since they can just continue charging until the counter wears off. The only time RoyR might have been able to counter was when MK drill rushed into the edge on PS1. Instead of shielding the drill rush, he might have been able to counter it and knock him back.

**Havok**

Smash Lord
There's always a better option than counter. Countering a charged smash is (almost always) a bad idea, since they can just continue charging until the counter wears off. The only time RoyR might have been able to counter was when MK drill rushed into the edge on PS1. Instead of shielding the drill rush, he might have been able to counter it and knock him back.
w/ stages like PK stadium where they have that lip under that can be a fatal idea.

battlefield or smashville = good idea.

BTW: did roy r win the tournament????

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Roy_r is pretty good, but I'm too critical to talk about Marth in such a casual way. All my eyes pick up are all the mistakes that were made. Maybe later I'll do full critiques of these sets on Smashboards. I watched vs. Dojo and LeeMartin.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
w/ stages like PK stadium where they have that lip under that can be a fatal idea.

battlefield or smashville = good idea.

BTW: did roy r win the tournament????
Royr got 9th iirc. But he hasnt played in months, so thats really really good.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah Roy got 9th.

Also, he's playing against some of the best players in the nation, so give him some slack lol.

Him almost beating dojo and beating infinity is amazing considering how good they are and how long it's been since roys been to a tournament.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Roy_r is pretty good, but I'm too critical to talk about Marth in such a casual way. All my eyes pick up are all the mistakes that were made. Maybe later I'll do full critiques of these sets on Smashboards. I watched vs. Dojo and LeeMartin.
That would be a good idea. Whenever I watch videos I can only concentrate on the errors. x_x

Yeah Roy got 9th.

Also, he's playing against some of the best players in the nation, so give him some slack lol.

Him almost beating dojo and beating infinity is amazing considering how good they are and how long it's been since roys been to a tournament.
9th place is a pretty solid standing, in my opinion, especially considering the fact that he hasn't been playing much. Him almost beating Dojo and Inf is amazing, but it gives me the vibe that Marth vs MK isn't so bad for Marth.

RyuReiatsu

Smash Journeyman
That would be a good idea. Whenever I watch videos I can only concentrate on the errors. x_x

9th place is a pretty solid standing, in my opinion, especially considering the fact that he hasn't been playing much. Him almost beating Dojo and Inf is amazing, but it gives me the vibe that Marth vs MK isn't so bad for Marth.

Same here.
But then again, despite the fact that Roy_R didn't play for months, he's still got the...hm... Instinct? edit: Reflexes.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No. Not Reflexes.

He still has the mindgames. He's at least as good as I am at reading people, if not better. Put that together with Marth and you get a scary player lol.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion

Yes it is, he lost to sandtrap who is probably not as noteable as a player as either Dojo or Infinity

Top Bottom