• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizby2

Smash Lord
And tails, bites, headbutts, etc.

And a lot of his moves, I'm pretty sure he couldn't perform(Lucas' Smash Up A for example).

I could be wrong.

i believe that move is when lucas is pulling a needle from the ground.
in one of his victory animations, he does pull a needle moving in the same fashion as his Up smash. why it was decided to be his up smash i'll NEVER know. :urg:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am curious whether we should do a prediction league also for the first set of newcomers unveiled for Smash 4. Is anyone up for that?
Little Mac, Mega Man, Palutena, Takamaru, and Toad unveiled in the first trailer. :awesome:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Of course, a lot of Toad movesets have gimmicky moves but the thing is, this is smash bros. It's a party game which soon will become, a competitive/party game (I think). Plus, gimmicks are what make the character quite unique despite being quite ridiculous (Phoenix Wright for example).

Well... It all comes down to playstyle/gameplay.
Not really. See, Mr. Game and Watch has gimmicky-looking moves, but few real gimmicks. Sure, G&W's down B is basically a stored counter super attack, and his forward B is totally random, but that's by far the most randomness we've gotten in 1 character (and quite frankly I want those 2 moves changed).

Regardless, there is a difference between moves looking gimmicky, having gimmicks, and being gimmicks. It's like the difference between someone being a comedian and being able to tell a good joke or two. I don't mind if Toad has gimmicks, but I don't want gimmick characters in smash. It doesn't work. That's what a lot of these smash bros wanna be clones don't seem to realize. Even though smash isn't super serious, there are no playable characters that have more than 2 or 3 gimmicks.

Now items and non-playable characters... that's a different story! :laugh:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@ John

Yeah, I figure Sakurai will pick the characters that are unveiled first along the lines of the Melee and Brawl reveals, but I never really broke down his strategy like you did. The only pattern that really stood out for me was revealing a retro character, which I'm sure will happen this time too. Never really thought about how the method for choosing the other three came about.

Anyway, that will help me alot with my picks for reveal trailer characters, but they'll still probably end up similar to yours. :laugh:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i believe that move is when lucas is pulling a needle from the ground.
in one of his victory animations, he does pull a needle moving in the same fashion as his Up smash. why it was decided to be his up smash i'll NEVER know. :urg:
I think the idea was to just make him different enough from Ness while keeping a similar movement data to finish for time? He may have been based upon him. Who knows?

Sakurai's odd like that.

----------------------------------

Only thing I've ever asked for Toad-wise is to see a moveset without NSMBWii being taken into account.(mainly cause he's not actually playable/in the game, outside of a possible NPC at best.) Not to say it can't contribute, but you know, creativity.

Also, he clearly can use spores to attack, shown in Melee/Brawl, so yes, spore-based moves are clearly within Toad's character.

Likewise, does it matter if it's a gimmick anyway? As long as the character is fun to play and it's not broken, who cares!

@john: Don't worry about Toad. I'm sure he won't be filled with gimmicks hopefully :p

I gotta go. It was cool that I was able to post a lot in a long time

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ John

Yeah, I figure Sakurai will pick the characters that are unveiled first along the lines of the Melee and Brawl reveals, but I never really broke down his strategy like you did. The only pattern that really stood out for me was revealing a retro character, which I'm sure will happen this time too. Never really thought about how the method for choosing the other three came about.
Not just retro characters, but retro character that haven't had a follow up or sequel in over a decade. The Ice Climbers only game was Ice Climber in 1983 (as well as the game "Nintendo Vs.", which was a compilation of several Nintendo NES games for multiplayer purpose). Pit's only 2 games came out in 1986 and 1991, the latter only being released in Europe and North America (until a Virtual Console release).

That is why I think the retro character won't be someone like Little Mac (who has been recently revived). Instead, look for more obscure characters. However, Little Mac could be the new yet old or "previously revived" character. Remember, Snake was revived for MGS1 after a fairly long hiatus after Metal Gear 2. The same was true with Zelda, not appearing in a Zelda game for about half a decade.
Still, I don't know if Sheik/Snake could also be counted as "WTF?" but eh, whatever. I'll let someone else come up with those such theories.
Anyway, that will help me alot with my picks for reveal trailer characters, but they'll still probably end up similar to yours. :laugh:
Hey, don't be afraid to choose different characters (there's dozens of fairly forgotten retro characters to choose from) or make a different theory (based on various factors).
@ Berserker
I doubt it too. However, all the GameFAQs and IGN Toad fans can't see past that. Oh well. That's why they're on those Silly Sites! :awesome:

[COLLAPSE="Edit: Here is my final message:"]Anyways, I'm out.
A Friend First, A Smasher Second, and a Captain Falcon user Third,
~His Knightliness Himself~,
-Johnknight1 Watson.
P.S.: Captain Falcon's knee better not be crap again. Instead, it better be THE CRAP again! (hopefully nothing is too overpowered or underpowered!) XD :chuckle:
Anyways, good night my waking Australians. By the way, if any of you are Australian, that was a creepily awkwardly right joke. Weird... :smirk:[/COLLAPSE]

grizby2

Smash Lord
bye berserker :(

im thinking really hard here, but i can remember an assist trophy that was from the dk series.

*looks for a video*
there is none, well that a fine how-do-you-do.

some of them are from games that have nothing to do with any playable character (and thats natural) , but i think each character should get at least one assist trophy from their own game. tingle has 5 effects (talk about GREED! :c). well thats even if they DO add assist trophies in the next installment.

best assist trophy nominee?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Not just retro characters, but retro character that haven't had a follow up or sequel in over a decade. The Ice Climbers only game was Ice Climber in 1983 (as well as the game "Nintendo Vs.", which was a compilation of several Nintendo NES games for multiplayer purpose). Pit's only 2 games came out in 1986 and 1991, the latter only being released in Europe and North America (until a Virtual Console release).

That is why I think the retro character won't be someone like Little Mac (who has been recently revived). Instead, look for more obscure characters. However, Little Mac could be the new yet old or "previously revived" character. Remember, Snake was revived for MGS1 after a fairly long hiatus after Metal Gear 2. The same was true with Zelda, not appearing in a Zelda game for about half a decade.
Still, I don't know if Sheik/Snake could also be counted as "WTF?" but eh, whatever. I'll let someone else come up with those such theories.
Yeah, that is the kind of retro character I meant too. :embarrass:

I think if Sakurai doesn't view Little Mac as a retro character anymore, the retro character he does decide to reveal will be much harder to predict, although if the first trailer does make its debut in Japan in the fall instead of E3, I think Takamaru would be the best retro to pick, as he would get much more recognition there. Of course the retro character could also be someone like Mach Rider or Balloon Fighter (a pipe dream of mine, lol), although I suspect those are less likely.

Personally, I always viewed Snake's category as Third Party, instead of as a revived or WTF character (although I did go WTF when he was revealed, :laugh:). I think (and hope) that Megaman will take this place in the trailer.

I think the characters that would best fit in the mega-popular newcomers category would be better off as unlockables, such as Ridley, K. Rool, or Mewtwo, however seeing any of these in the trailer would have the same effect (actually a bigger effect) than seeing MK or Wario. I'm not sure who would be next in line as the mega-popular choice after these three, if hypothetically they indeed were unlockables.

For the newer character, I think a number of characters would work well here, Isaac, Shulk, Palutena (who technically isn't new, but barely had any recognition before Uprising), Mii, or even Miyamoto's new IP character (if the game is revealed before SSB4 is).

Hey, don't be afraid to choose different characters (there's dozens of fairly forgotten retro characters to choose from) or make a different theory (based on various factors).
Actually during the process of writing this out, it's given me even more to think about, so my characters might not be that similar to yours after all. lol

Anyways, I'd love to keep talking about this, but I nearly fell asleep writing this all out, so I'm out for now. I'll be back after I get some smash-filled dreams. :woman:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Am I the only one surprised that the Duck Hunt Dog never made a comparition yet? Not even as trophy, as stiker or as bad helper.
Since in Melee we had Mr. Game&Watch and in Brawl we have R.O.B. I think that dog could be the next WTF character.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Am I the only one surprised that the Duck Hunt Dog never made a comparition yet? Not even as trophy, as stiker or as bad helper.
Since in Melee we had Mr. Game&Watch and in Brawl we have R.O.B. I think that dog could be the next WTF character.
Probably not, but I'm not shocked. There was a Duck sticker however.

As for WTF characters, tbh if they left, and were replaced with other characters, I'd be game for that. Like, add Dillon, Quote, or the like. Get them old god characters to Western Badasses in SSB4, people.

[COLLAPSE="God Tier YLink for SSB4. Definatly."]
[/COLLAPSE]

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
If that's supposed to be Young Link, then I guess it'd be okay to have him in Sm4sh since we need more female characters.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Can't wait to see how Smash's interconnectivity will be like and what changes are coming with the game

Wait... What if Bowser becomes a playable character in the new story mode? Does that mean he has to face himself?

Doesn't matter though. Badass idea

THE BEST GIF without doubt. Even better than Toad....
"I'm sweating like a hooker in church!"
"... You took a hooker to church?"

hahaha

grizby2

Smash Lord
all this toad talk...
makes me think of..

"the master" from papermario.
an optional boss to fight, and is actually tougher than the last boss (bowser :troll:), which would make him the strongest toad to date.
he's also the ONLY toad that mario ever fights. (not competes against, FIGHTS)
his name in the french installment is "Kara T." which i find more appropriate than "the master". lol

ya, but whatever. just my brain talking.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do count Sheik and Zero Suit Samus as WTF characters actually.

Not that I want Zero Suit Samus gone, mind you. :smirk:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There were some characters who weren't in Melee but were in Brawl.

Diddy Kong
Ivysaur (yes, we had Bulbasaur and Venusaur but no Ivysaur)
Lucas (if Meowth got a trophy based on a canceled game, why not EarthBound 64?)
Pokemon Trainer
R.O.B.
Zero Suit Samus (granted there was a trophy without Samus' trophy but...)

:phone:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Asage, is that you on your avatar? It's hilarious.:chuckle: Anyway, I think that the Smash roster should look like this:
Mario
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bower Jr.
Waluigi

DK
DK
Diddy Kong
King K Rool
Dixie Kong

Legend of Zelda
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Skull Kid(because of his possible 3DS revival)
Ghirahim

Star Fox
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Leon

Metroid
Samus/ZSS
Ridley
Dark Samus

Kirby
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede

Pokemon
Pikachu
Ukelele Pichu
Mewtwo
Pokemon Trainer
Zoroark

Fire Emblem
Marth
Ike
Black Knight/Zelgius

Mother/Earthbound
Lucas
Ness
Poo

Warioware
Wario

Yoshi's Island
Yoshi
Shy Guy

Kid Icarus
Pit
Medusa
Palutena

Others/Retro
Olimar
Little Mac
Tom Nook
Saki
Isaac
Louie
Starfy
Dillon

3rd Party
Megaman

That is...51. About 1 over what I've seen. Also, add in Ice Climbers, Falcon, Goroh, and R.O.B is 55.

Edit: Toad and Peach were planned for NSMBWii, just they had to change it because they couldn't animate Peach's dress floating. Toad they wanted to keep in, but it was a 4-P game so they had to cut him in half. It was originally going to be Blue and Pink Toad...Not gay at all. Then again, it would make up for Peach.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Lol Cobalsh, that ain't asage, that's a meme :laugh:

Zero Suit Samus actually surprised me, too (in a pleasant way, too, she's one of my mains). It just seems like one of those ideas that get throw around here but in reality, it'll most likely never actually make it into Smash. You know, like Shadow Mario lol

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
needs more womens though :xby grizby. :glare: Wow, we have some uh...starnge people here.

starnge... needs a definition.
Starnge:
A person who is creepy beyond compare.
That about sums it up.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is horrible. You cut far too many characters... More than I did. And you only added 8 characters.

:phone:

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
plokoon, focusing on gameplay wouldn't require cutting a ****load of characters

You even cut Captain Falcon, Falco, Ness, Jiggs and Pokemon Trainer. wtf :laugh:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Commenting on the IGN link posted last night.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1223770p1.html

I still think that since we aren't going to see more of the same (and thank God), we're looking at a different direction for the series as Sakurai said. To me, on hit canceling and character strings are the next big things for the series. It would be away of expanding on the game in a different way. Instead of increasing the quantity of the content, it'd be making the current content more dense.

BTW, I've talked to a couple of people of the idea of OHCs, chains, and other cancelings, and they're rather fond of the idea. Of course, these people play other fighting games as well so take that as you will.

@John
Did you enjoy Kimber's Farewell to **** Tour?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Boy, things sure have turned boring lately. But I guess when you're in the dark for almost a full year, you're bound to start odd conversations.

Sadly, I have nothing different to talk about at this time.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Boy, things sure have turned boring lately. But I guess when you're in the dark for almost a full year, you're bound to start odd conversations.

Sadly, I have nothing different to talk about at this time.
Dark...not enough to describe our environement :troll:

And lol at kara t.,What does "e. gadd" mean?i know his name but not what it makes refference to,because in french it's "K.(karl) Tastroff"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom