• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Alright, commenting on SmashChu's speculation. I agree with it with a few exceptions (one of them being third-party, but I think at this rate we have different opinions on the situation that can only be proven right or wrong on timing).
SmashChu said:
Mewtwo and Roy will come back-Saying this because I doubt they had much intention of removing them (especially Mewtwo) and people really want them back. Likely.
You might want to drop Roy now with the FE13 announcement. His chances is almost zero.
SmashChu said:
Shulk-It may not be clear to us folks in the US, but Xenoblade is very popular overseas and is definably popular with Japanese players (no surprise). Let's also not forget all the publicity around Project Rainfail which caused NoE to push up the launch date for the game in Europe. Plus, it's a new 1st party series. Probably getting in.
I would agree with you, but I have one serious problem with Shulk that keeps me from agreeing; the fact he has yet to get a US release. Sakurai has said that he wants a limit on characters that are not international, which already hurts his chances. If he does not get a US release, then I don't think Shulk is going to get in.

Also a few correction. First off, Star Fox has gotten only one rep in the original, Melee, and Brawl. Also, you're spelling Zourark wrong. It is Zoroark.

Finally, I would add two people; Chrome from the upcoming Fire Emblem 13 and Isaac from Golden Sun, who are likely candidates for a spot.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I will comment as well, when I get home.

@berserker: "Krom" is his Japanese name from what I infer, personally I don't like the name Chrome.

:phone:

Yup, but I know what you are gonna say: "I already know that" derp.~

Well, there was another which was Mario Tennis, not a big thriller though but meh....

I already know that.

You derp.

I liked Mario Tennis 64. Guess who I played as? (Easy question)
Wario Woods 6 got confirmed!!
Lie more

You meant Wario Land

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I like it Star, share your thoughts about Krom please, what do you think? Would he replace Ike?

Yes, I believe Ike has a very real chance of being cut now IF Intelligent Systems decides to push Sakurai, Sakurai wishes to add a new Fire Emblem, or if Chrome as a character and his game take off.

Chrome seems to play similar to Ike in many aspects. He seems to be a strong swordsman that has a fighting style more along the line of a mercenary, yet he is a lord. There is more of a litheness to him than Ike, but he is still being portrayed as a stronger swordsman. Even though it is a new story it could potentially tie into the "Akaneia" saga as Chrome can be seen at the end of the first video fighting a Marth look a like. Which, if so, would lead to people pushing for him a little more so they can reenact the fight in Smash Bros. It is a very very small thing, but I can see the Gamefaqs threads now.

I'm playing the wait and see game with Chrom before I jump on the bandwagon. I cannot foresee every playable lord in Smash Bros being blue haired as petty as it may sound. From reading other things it seems as though Sakurai personally favors Roy which helps his chances since he is still requested often. There is a remote possibility all four lords could be playable under one game (Marth, Ike, Chrome, Roy), but I do not think it is too likely. Still, with Sakurai and his decision making you can never really say what he will and won't do. If we do receivee four Fire Emblem characters it will be at the expense of other sword users such as Takamaru, Shulk, Samurai Goroh, and potentially Isaac and Saki.

It seems I'm psychic huh? :awesome:

Huh, let's see Toad!? DUH

and wow, you figured out my riddle, you deserve a prize. derp~

duh
10chars

The discussion has halted.

So I'll post my roster

[collapse=Some roster]
Mario universe:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Toad

Zelda universe:
Link
Zelda/Shiek
Ganondorf
Toon Link
*Ghirahim

Donkey Kong universe:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
K Rool

Yoshi universe:
Yoshi
*Kamek

Metroid universe:
Samus/Zero suit
Ridley

Kirby universe:
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
*Waddle Dee
*Yarn Kirby

Star Fox universe:
Fox
Falco
Wolf
*Krystal

Pokemon universe:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Victini
Mewtwo
Pokemon trainer

F - Zero universe:
Captain Falcon

Earthbound universe:
Ness
Lucas

Fire Emblem universe:
Marth
Chrome

Wario universe:
Wario

Pikmin universe:
Olimar

Punch-out universe:
Little Mac

Kid Icarus universe:
Pit
*Medusa
*Paletuna

Retro/Nintendo universe:
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
ROB
Takamaru
Lip

Paper Mario universe:
Paper Mario

Sin and Punishment:
Saki

3rd party:
Snake
Sonic
Mega Man
*Phoenix Wright

Newcomers:
Toad
K Rool
Ridley
Mewtwo
Victini
Chrome
Little Mac
Paper Mario
Saki
Takumaru
Lip
Mega Man

Total number of newcomers: 12

Number of characters: 46 characters (Including transformations).

Characters with asterisks (*) - Not likely or marginal

Medusa - I'll wait until the game is released

Paletuna - Same here

Krystal - Would be unique buuuuut she's not important to the series. Still, it would be nice to have her in the roster.

Phoenix Wright - I don't know why this guy has an asterisk. He's SOOOO likely. Lol.

Kamek - Would be cool and unique. Unfortunately, unlikely

Waddle Dee - I like the character. That's all

Yarn Kirby - Would be REALLY unique but unlikely

Ghirahim (Debbie) - Unlikely due to being a one shot character but he would be FABULOUS for the game. [/collapse]

vicgur

Smash Ace
Guys, I don't wanna rain on your party[don't think it's the right expression, lol], but you're forgetting something really important about characters in Smash:
They're always from the LAST GENERATION.
All the characters AND their visuals in Brawl, the Wii game, are from the GC generation and older. TP doesn't count, as it was released for GC and Wii at the same time.
There are VERY FEW exceptions, like the Pictochat stage and some Wii songs... But NO characters.
What I'm trying to say is, as Chrome is from the same Gen as the Smash will be, I bet 50 internet bucks his chances are very low. Ike and Marth, on the other hand, were both in the only games released in the Wii/DS Gen, so yeah...

Prof. Layton VS Ace Attorney = WIN

Phoenix Wright for the Wii U? Wii U tablet as your table? More WIN

OmegaXXII

I'm trying to say is, as Chrome is from the same Gen as the Smash will be, I bet 50 internet bucks his chances are very low. Ike and Marth, on the other hand, were both in the only games released in the Wii/DS Gen, so yeah...

@vitcur: Are you implying that Chrome isn't getting in because he isn't part of this current generation that is the Wii??

You're joking, right???

OmegaXXII

Haha, it looks like a Smash Ball, yet it isn't chrome at all, Chrome from FE is Krom so it doesn't apply to him at all, sorry. :p

MisterDrBob

Smash Apprentice
Okay, look at what you're saying. By your logic, only characters on Gamecube could have been in Brawl.
DS is not part of the same generation as Gamecube, it's the same generation as Wii. Lucario is from a DS game, and Ike appeared on Wii (yes, I know he was also on Gamecube, just bear with me for a second). In fact, that's why they were in Brawl in the first place! To advertise their recently released games: Diamond/Pearl, and Radiant Dawn. Why wouldn't they do that this time?

OmegaXXII

The guy has a point, not going to lie, but remember, there are always exceptions like Sonic for example and even Wii based stages like WarioWare.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
No. The reason why Ike got in over any lord from FE7 was because INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS TOLD SAKURAI TO PLACE HIM IN.

Also, I find having Chrome in would be as redundant as having Zoroark, Lucario, and Mewtwo. Chrome's design is extremely similar to that of Ike and appears to have a similar demeanor too.

I tired of all the misinformation that goes around regarding the Fire Emblem series.
Except the fact that Sakurai wanted another Fire Emblem character anyway. It's not like IS walked into his office and said "Your putting Ike in." I'm not jumping on any band wagon as I see no reason for them switching around characters right now. Roy is still more likely than Goggle Chrome.

vicgur

Smash Ace
@MisterDrBob
I get what you're saying, but I don't agree.
Lucario is in Brawl because of his movie, that was released before D/P. Yes, his moveset might be based on his D/P incarnation, but his appearance in Brawl is thanks to the movie, rather than the game.
And Ike may be RD's advertising boy[wich, by the way, is the only NEW Fire Emblem of this Gen], but his appearance in the game is almost completely based on his PoR incarnation. Not relevant.

OmegaXXII

Except the fact that Sakurai wanted another Fire Emblem character anyway. It's not like IS walked into his office and said "Your putting Ike in." I'm not jumping on any band wagon as I see no reason for them switching around characters right now. Roy is still more likely than Goggle Chrome.
Interesting, why do you say Roy would be more likely than Chrome? Don't you think IT is most likely to do the same that was done with Ike? Also do you see Chrome ever replacing Ike based on appearance??

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I checked everywhere and I did not see anything about Wario Land 6 being announced.

Also, Metal Mario is a playable character in Mario Kart 7. Yes, he actually gets his own character in the game.

This makes me think, perhaps Metal Mario has the possibility of formally returning as a boss in the game's classic mode, especially if the team is intent of going back to the series's roots.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
My thing is Chrome could be an "Ephraim" for all we know. There is so little we know about him right now that there is no way to accurately say that he is a 100% guarantee. The difference with the interim between Melee and Brawl is that four Fire Emblem games were published during that time. With the latter two involving Ike, whom was added in Brawl. Between Brawl and Smash Bros 4 we will only have three games. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, the sequel in Marth's saga that is only available in Japan at the moment, and Fire Emblem 3DS. Content wise there is not much to add to Fire Emblem considering the latest games have been remakes of the NES titles for the DS,. Fire Emblem 3DS is the only new title, and with that we have no idea how the game will be received.

I'm going to wait and see.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wow I just missed a flaming FE debate. Anyway here are my thoughts based on the debate:

Anyway since we don't now what the heck is going on with FE13, as it could be a new game, or it could be an Ike Sequel, the former being more likely for now. I don't think we can dismiss anything yet.

Either way I believe now that FE is just as likely to get another slot as many of the other debated franchises now.

So I don't see way anyone would be complaining about Chrome who has a different fighting style then past FE lord from what I've seen, and why we can't have both him and Ike.

If anything now, Roy, unlike Ike who still has popularity and is still relevant, was the flavor of the month character and having the 1st FE game on a handheld, while Ike's game came out at the end of the Gamecubes lifecycle, heavily counts on sales so that arguement is not very valid.

And saying Chrome is also a FotM character is wrong also as we haven't even played his game yet to know about what legacy he will leave on the series, he's in the same boat as Roy was in Melee, but thats where the similarities end for now.

I'll post my now predicted roster later, but I'm pretty sure now unlike before it will cause some flamming.

I checked everywhere and I did not see anything about Wario Land 6 being announced.

Also, Metal Mario is a playable character in Mario Kart 7. Yes, he actually gets his own character in the game.

This makes me think, perhaps Metal Mario has the possibility of formally returning as a boss in the game's classic mode, especially if the team is intent of going back to the series's roots.
Lakitu is finally playable.

I expect a new joke now instead of....

Lakitu: Take that! Yeah you better run! *Throws Spineys*

Then...

Lakitu: Where did it all go wrong? *Holding some ready set go sign*

Then upon seeing Mario Kart 7

Lakitu: YES! OH YEAH!

Rosalina is once again playable. Does this mean something?

Bowser Jr. is no where to be founds... What?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Anyway since we don't now what the heck is going on with FE13, as it could be a new game, or it could be an Ike Sequel, the latter being more likely for now. I don't think we can dismiss anything yet.

Either way I believe now that FE is just as likely to get another slot as many of the other debated franchises now.

So I don't see way anyone would be complaining about Chrome who has a different fighting style then past FE lord from what I've seen, and why we can't have both him and Ike.

If anything now, Roy, unlike Ike who still has popularity and is still relevant, was the flavor of the month character and having the 1st FE game on a handheld, while Ike's game came out at the end of the Gamecubes lifecycle, heavily counts on sales so that arguement is not very valid.

And saying Chrome is also a FotM character is wrong also as we haven't even played his game yet to know about what legacy he will leave on the series, he's in the same boat as Roy was in Melee, but thats where the similaritys end for now..
You are wrong about Ike's games selling poorly because they came out at the end of a console's life cycle. FE9 came out in April of 2005, only a few months after RE4 which was one of the biggest software releases for that console. FE10 was also one of the earliest titles for the Wii. Fire Emblem has not sold well on home consoles since 1996. The last three home consoles releases, Thracia 776, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, were the only games in the series to sell below 200K.

Also, Chrome DOES NOT have a different fighting style, and the game itself is not a sequel to the Tellius arc which goes to show the extent of your lack of knowledge about the Fire Emblem series.

Why do the Ike fanboys spread so much misinformation?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Personally, if Chrome replaced Ike I would not really care. I have no attachment to Ike other than for the fact that he is one of my mains and I enjoy his playstyle. This is not a Mewtwo situation for me.

MisterDrBob

Smash Apprentice
@vicgur: I see your point with the movie, but I don't think it was solely the movie. I think it's the same as Mewtwo really. They had both starred in a movie, and they were popular in their recently released game. If Lucario had been forgotten, his chances wouldn't have been half as good. And somebody's already pointed out, there only four recent Fire Emblem games half of which are remakes, the other half have Ike in them.
So basically, this could be used as evidence for either of us, which means that we've gotten nowhere. In any case, I don't think it's wise to rule out anything from the upcoming generation, because you never know!
Also, look at the first game. The only argument for only using past generations you can make for Smash 64 is Ness and Samus. Everybody else had already had a popular game on N64. Captain Falcon would have remained obscure if it weren't for F-Zero X helping him get a spot in Smash. The reason I don't mention Melee is because it was so early in the Gamecube's lifespan that it couldn't use anything new, because anything new didn't exist yet. Smash 4 is still a long way off. By the time its released, a number of new games with new characters or elements could have come. Nintendo would be foolish not to utilize this new material.

OmegaXXII

Personally, if Chrome replaced Ike I would not really care. I have no attachment to Ike other than for the fact that he is one of my mains and I enjoy his playstyle. This is not a Mewtwo situation for me.
What about Roy though? Would he merit a slot instead of Ike??

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
What about Roy though? Would he merit a slot instead of Ike??

Well, aesthetically speaking he sets himself apart by having red hair and a younger appearance. His sword is based around flames, which could be retained and implemented differently along with some variations on his moveset. Regardless of whether Ike stays he would probably be the "balanced" lord, not as light as Marth, but not as heavy as Ike.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You are wrong about Ike's games selling poorly because they came out at the end of a console's life cycle. FE9 came out in April of 2005, only a few months after RE4 which was one of the biggest software releases for that console. FE10 was also one of the earliest titles for the Wii. Fire Emblem has not sold well on home consoles since 1996. The last three home consoles releases, Thracia 776, Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, were the only games in the series to sell below 200K.

Also, Chrome DOES NOT have a different fighting style, and the game itself is not a sequel to the Tellius arc which goes to show the extent of your lack of knowledge about the Fire Emblem series.

Why do the Ike fanboys spread so much misinformation?
Good point, I guess I may be somewhat wrong on why Roy had better sales. But I still do think '05 was still a little late in the Gamecube lifecycle.

As for Chrome's fighting style, for now it's all opinion based until we really see him in action so no flamming please.

Also I may support Ike over Roy, but that doesn't mean I'm an Ike fanboy, please don't let your Roy bias turn your arguements into flamming. :glare:

I mained Roy in Melee, and he was my favorite character. I would like to see him back, but you can't deny his chances right now are very slim even if Sakurai wanted to declone him. :(

vicgur

Smash Ace
@MisterDrBob
Don't you think Lucario was popular in the games BECAUSE of his awesomeness in the movies? If you think about it, Mewtwo is almost in the same boat, but in his game he's hyped enough, being the last and most powerful thing you'll face in the game...

But I kinda agree with you... Brawl MIGHT be a transition between a Smash based in older Gen and a Smash based in everything... Personally, I even like the idea.

But I won't put this Chrome guy in my roster yet. We don't have enough information about him or his games to skip to conclusions like EVERYONE HERE is doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom