• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I think the reason why Isa Jo isn't very popular with requests is because people have this "some Assist Trophies in Brawl will be playable in SSB4" mentality. I think that's why some people often suggest Knuckle Joe, a generic enemy/helper in Kirby Super Star, as a 4th Kirby character and suggest Waluigi as a 5th Mario character. I think that's why Matthew and Isa Jo get so little support for SSB4 compared to Isaac and Saki Amamiya, respectively.
It might depend on how many copies each game has sold. The sequel managed to sell a little over 100,000 copies in ten weeks. I can't find any info on the Virtual Console release of the original to compare it to, though.

he's seen his day, he'll never be playable again.
...Must...not...start...pointless...argument...

*Sigh* As I said...

Nostalgia goggles.
Okay, this isn't working.

I'd argue that the nostalgia goggles is what makes Mewtwo viable, not on a personal level, but on a logical level.

*Blah, blah, amongst most iconic of most iconic gen, blah, blah*

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Also on the subject of Saki/Isa and Isaac/Matthew: Perhaps it'll be a case of the Marths? Marth is THE Fire Emblem representative only because he was the first Lord in the series. Saki is at least still relevant (aren't you starting to hate that word?) to his series in that Isa is his son? And as I said, Isaac is in the most recent Golden Sun. (but bearded, of course)

...Kind of a flimsy argument since jerks like Ness destroy it. :V

as old as Gen 1 is at this point they're going to be using newer gen stuff more. don't see what's the big deal
Yes, new stuff like Zoroark or Victini.

Steam

Smash Hero
. . . . was that the sound of Lucario becoming increasingly unimportant?
5 years as compared to 15. Besides, I think he takes the 5th and last slot and it will definitely be his last appearance. but yeah, it will happen to him.

Giovanni hasn't been in a game since R/B/Y, and was only spoken of in Gen 2.

D

Deleted member

Also on the subject of Saki/Isa and Isaac/Matthew: Perhaps it'll be a case of the Marths? Marth is THE Fire Emblem representative only because he was the first Lord in the series. Saki is at least still relevant (aren't you starting to hate that word?) to his series in that Isa is his son? And as I said, Isaac is in the most recent Golden Sun. (but bearded, of course
That's what I've been thinking, at least for Saki/Isa. I've even whipped up a potential roster for both games (SSBU and SSB3D) combined, though I'm not quick to show it.

Giovanni hasn't been in a game since R/B/Y, and was only spoken of in Gen 2.
You haven't heard about the Celebi event in HeartGold and SoulSilver? Wow.

Steam

Smash Hero
That's what I've been thinking, at least for Saki/Isa. I've even whipped up a potential roster for both games combined, though I'm not quick to show it.

You haven't heard about the Celebi event in HeartGold and SoulSilver? Wow.
I do not buy the remakes. besides, it's a remake of a GEN 2 game. lol they'll just keep plain ol' PT.

@oasis- yeah, one of those. probably not both, but it's not impossible

D

Deleted member

Also on the subject of Saki/Isa and Isaac/Matthew: Perhaps it'll be a case of the Marths? Marth is THE Fire Emblem representative only because he was the first Lord in the series. Saki is at least still relevant (aren't you starting to hate that word?) to his series in that Isa is his son? And as I said, Isaac is in the most recent Golden Sun. (but bearded, of course)

...Kind of a flimsy argument since jerks like Ness destroy it. :V
This is why I say that people who uses relevance arguments purely in terms of games are not taking into account other factors. Marth only appeared in two Fire Emblem games prior to Melee (Last game was on January 21, 1994), but the fact that he was identified as the main character of the series was the reason why he was in the game in the first place. That's why I see Isaac and Saki getting in over Matthew and Isa (Especially the first case), even if they weren't in the latest games.

Relevancy is much more then just what games you're in and there are other factors to consider then relevancy. That's why King K. Rool, despite minor relevancy issues (If any), still has a good chance of getting in.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I do not buy the remakes. besides, it's a remake of a GEN 2 game. lol they'll just keep plain ol' PT.
Change is a good thing.

This is why I say that people who uses relevance arguments purely in terms of games are not taking into account other factors
^^^^This, is where it's at. YO.

D

Deleted member

I do not buy the remakes. besides, it's a remake of a GEN 2 game.
Since you seemed to be a Pokemon fan, I expected that you would have at least heard of it.

Besides, a new Pokemon RPG is a new Pokemon RPG. It never really matters whether it's a remake or not, since they always sell extremely. Hell, I think HG and SS sold more than Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum.

Steam

Smash Hero
@StB- nostalgia doesn't work like that when there are more newer fans than older ones :I

@Shortie- it is, I've been saying there's a good chance they'll give PT the latest gen starters (even though I like the gen 1 starters better). but they'll just be called pokemon trainer. they're not going to revive giovanni :/

and there's a difference between K.rool, the almost constant main antagonist of the series, and what hwe're talking about :/

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes, I think we all know it is a rumor about Meowth being planned to be in SSB64. But consider this.

Bowser: rumored to be planned for SSB64, confirmed by Sakurai to be planned for SSB64, playable in Melee and Brawl

Mewtwo: rumored to be planned for SSB64, confirmed by Sakurai to be planned for SSB64, playable in Melee, was probably planned to be in Brawl

King Dedede: rumored to be planned for SSB64, confirmed by Sakurai to be planned for SSB64, playable in Brawl

Peach: rumored to be planned for SSB64, not confirmed by Sakurai to be planned for SSB64, playable in Melee and Brawl

Pit: rumored to be planned for SSB64, not confirmed by Sakurai to be planned for SSB64, playable in Brawl

Meowth: rumored to be planned for SSB64, not confirmed by Sakurai to be planned for SSB64, not playable in any Smash games so far

Six characters were rumored to be planned for SSB64. Five of them have been playable in one or two Smash games. It is hard for me to just dismiss this as a mere rumor because of that.

Personally I think Saki has a way better look and design to him than Isa...
That may be... but Isa got a jetpack! Perfect for recovery and "floating". And Isa could have Saki's alternate costume.

D

Deleted member

@StB- nostalgia doesn't work like that when there are more newer fans than older ones :I
Are you sure it's not older fans getting into the game again after all these years? Cause I can tell you for sure it's happening, and it's just as a much as reason for the great sales as the new fans.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If this was true, Charizard would have never made it into brawl.

Your logic is very flawed on this point. If Pokemon Red has been out for ten years, and Diamond has been out for three, it's pretty easy to assume Red has more fans. It's had many more years to accumulate fans. Same goes for the second and third generations.

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
What will the main audience be for the next Smash Bros?

I feel like Brawl was directed towards softcore/casual gamers, and the characters were balanced with items and all stages in consideration.

I just hope the devs for the next game will be more aware of hardcore players and aim for character balance without factoring in items and odd stages. It seems the Wii U is being designed with hardcore gamers in mind, but that says nothing about how the devs will make Smash Bros 4.

Lastly, how do you think the devs will implement the Wii U controller? I can imagine the fifth player using the tablet to control item drops and record videos during matches.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This is why I say that people who uses relevance arguments purely in terms of games are not taking into account other factors. Marth only appeared in two Fire Emblem games prior to Melee (Last game was on January 21, 1994), but the fact that he was identified as the main character of the series was the reason why he was in the game in the first place. That's why I see Isaac and Saki getting in over Matthew and Isa (Especially the first case), even if they weren't in the latest games.

Relevancy is much more then just what games you're in and there are other factors to consider then relevancy. That's why King K. Rool, despite minor relevancy issues (If any), still has a good chance of getting in.
I understand what you are saying... but what of Ness? We didn't get Ninten, we got Ness instead. Mother 1 came out in Japan in 1989 while Mother 2 came out in Japan in 1994.

D

Deleted member

I understand what you are saying... but what of Ness? We didn't get Ninten, we got Ness instead. Mother 1 came out in Japan in 1989 while Mother 2 came out in Japan in 1994.
I personally don't know, but it bears mentioning that the MOTHER franchise's popularity here in the states has skyrocketed since the original Super Smash Bros.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That would be because Earthbound was released in the US too. So, at least internationally, Ness was the face of the Mother series. I guess. :V

Steam

Smash Hero
Are you sure it's not older fans getting into the game again after all these years? Cause I can tell you for sure it's happening, and it's just as a much as reason for the great sales as the new fans.
Of course there are older fans into the game, but a lot of those older fans eventually start losing interest into adulthood.

@shortie- by that logic mewtwo would have made it in over lucario in brawl. but yeah, I was certainly pleased gen 1 starters. they might have done it because their frequent anime appearances gave a much better reference for designing aspects of their character. maybe they were intended to always be in so they didn't have to completely redesign them, I don't know lol.

D

Deleted member

Arcadenik said:
That was the first Smash Bros. game. Not many character could fit in at the time so really, I imagine that in the original, they just threw whatever character they wanted in as they wished. There was no real way to determine relevancy. Starting in Melee, then relevancy became more of a factor. IMO, importance to Nintendo was at it's biggest. With the exception of Earthbound, the nine Nintendo franchise were the biggest Nintendo had.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Six characters were rumored to be planned for SSB64. Five of them have been playable in one or two Smash games. It is hard for me to just dismiss this as a mere rumor because of that.
I see what you're saying, but Nintendo has been pretty open when it comes to characters they planned for the game, why would they leave out Pit, Peach, and Meowth when discussing characters who didn't make it in 64.

However, Meowth is still Meowth, and he will always be popular. Plus, rumors never hurt anyone's chances. Look at the Geno support, he has, arguably, the most well known/believed rumor that the Brawl hype ever created. Rumors only further fan support, soooooo this is kind of a gift to Meowth.

The last thing I'm mentioningm on the whole Pokemon/relevance debate is, RELEVANCE IS NOT EVERYTHING

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think it's because Earthbound was localised? Also (what I've seen) ít took many elements from Mother and made them better.

Steam

Smash Hero
Well, moveset potential, for one thing. That's really the only reason that the Ice Climbers became playable.
not many pokemon have issues with this though : I

but it's why I believe zoroark would be in ahead of victini

@smash bros. fan- popularity, importance, and relevance go hand in hand :/

D

Deleted member

@Young Horsetail and gsninja: - Must not be hated
- Must have move set potentials
- Must have appeared on a Nintendo console once.
- Must have originated as a video game character.

The last is debatable in terms of consistency, but the first three are generally agreed on as solid.
@smash bros. fan- popularity, importance, and relevance go hand in hand :/
Not exactly that. By today's stands, King K. Rool could have minor relevance issue, but he has seen massive support for SSB4. Sakurai can't afford to ignore that or it will infuriate many fans. That's why he stands a chance of getting in. The only ones that surpass or equals him are Ridley, Little Mac, and Mega Man. Even so, he also has the advantage for being comparatively almost universally requested for SSB4 (Along with Little Mac), whereas there are anti-supporters of Ridley and Mega Man (Ridley due to being too big and Mega Man due to being third-party).

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
A fire/phychic type really sounds fun...

Plus how would Zoroark use illusion :x? Isn't it his signature ability he's known for? (unlike the other poke's ability, though static pika sounds hilarious)

Pika's signature became volt tackle.. And lo and behold hello final smash xD

:phone:

Steam

Smash Hero
well in terms of getting in, popularity, importance, and relevance are all part of the same thing. which is the driving force that gets characters in if they fit the obvious criteria.

D

Deleted member

well in terms of getting in, popularity, importance, and relevance are all part of the same thing. which is the driving force that gets characters in if they fit the obvious criteria.
I'll just put it to you this way: The Game & Watch games were important to Nintendo's history. They weren't all that popular.

There's also the aforementioned Ice Climbers. They weren't really important, relevant, or popular, but they still got in.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Sakurai's ability to see moveset potential in weird characters sort of overrides all of our logic..

D

Deleted member

Ussi said:
A fire/phychic type really sounds fun...
That's why I want Victini in. This is a very unique mix of type that can introduce new type of Smash play not seen in other characters. He fits the move set potentials guidelines better then Zoroark.

@Steam: Then tell me why Ray, Saki, Takamaru, Isaac, Dixie Kong and King K. Rool have been highly requested in SSB4? Not having 100% of one factor fulfill does not directly contribute to a decline of the other two. King K. Rool hasn't appeared in Donkey Kong Country Returns. Has it slowed down demands for him? No it hasn't.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
That sounds like a sexy tune. I've never so much as touched a Custom Robo game, so I really don't know anything about it.
Well I have uploaded four Custom Robo tracks that never made their way onto Youtube. I think I may need to update my Custom Robo stage idea... >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom