• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam

Smash Hero
I'll just put it to you this way: The Game & Watch games were important to Nintendo's history. They weren't all that popular.

There's also the aforementioned Ice Climbers. They weren't really important, relevant, or popular, but they still got in.
they do that for a couple of characters on a general nintendo level. but it's probably not something you'll see in specific series :/

@smashbros. fan- there's a world outside this thread.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That would be because Earthbound was released in the US too. So, at least internationally, Ness was the face of the Mother series. I guess. :V
So, why Saki instead of Isa? Saki's game was Japan-only but Isa's game was international.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Steam was looking for this. It was a ***** to find.

Its finished! :D

1. Popularity: If a character is popular, they should have a shot to be discussed about. Whether the character is newer, like the upcoming Golden Sun hero, or older, like Geno, they should be considered. Even if a character has just a cult following (N!GHTS) this too should be enough to be discussed.

2. New Spin: The character should bring a sort of new flavor to smash bros. Even if its as simple as The Pokemon Trainer Way of battling or the team battling system of the ice climbers. The character doesn’t necessarily have to bring a new way of playing, they could bring unique movesets and also be considered

3. Hero of the game: If the character is a single character representing a whole franchise, it should be the main protagonist. Like how Olimar serves as the lone Pikmin character, we don’t need a bulbax representing Pikmin now do we?

4.Non-generic: The character shouldn’t be a generic enemy (Like a Goomba) or be a “clone” of another character. Along with no copied moves or generic races we do not need a variant of a specific character. For Example, we don’t need fire Mario, Gravity Suit Samus or Dry bones bowser. If though, there is a character of a major reoccurring generic race (Like Green Yoshi, or Original colored toad) they should have rights to be discussed. So The generic races must be, reacurring, and have a specific color/individual to represent them.

5. Regional popularity: If a character is hated in a specific area, this shouldn’t stop us from discussing it/him/her. Just because India may hate Lyndis, doesn’t mean she will not be conversed about!

6. Past fighting: Is irrelevant, the ice climbers never fought in their game. Neither did Dr. Mario, yet he still made it in. The simple fact that Sakuria let “Pacifist” characters into brawl shows this does not matter.

7. Actual anatomy: If the character has no piece of anatomy to grapple, jump ect. Then they should not be brought up. Sorry Tetris block. >.>

8. Third Party rules: The character has to not only have been on a Nintendo platform, but also have good ties and a pleasant relationship with one another. Third parties should only have one SERIES represented with one character. Ex: Final fantasy doesn’t need both Cloud and Moogle.

9. Game amounts: Don’t really matter, so long as the character is popular enough, however more games isn’t a bad thing! Just because a game has twenty Nintendo platform games doesn’t make it a good candidate. However it doesn’t hurt.

Listen up!
Now WE ALL have contributed to these rules, please if you have a problem with one i would love to know so i can fix it and ultimately make it sort of the general rule when discussing characters!

I also would like to thank KumaOso, Iven Polka, Fatmanonice, Toiseofchoice and Arcadenik for taking the time to write out some rules to base the community rules off of.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So, why Saki instead of Isa? Saki's game was Japan-only but Isa's game was international.
I believe Saki's game was released on the Virtual Console in the US? Plus with Brawl, that would make him even more recognizable... I'm not really sure, it's all a bit fuzzy with those two, lol.

D

Deleted member

@smashbros. fan- there's a world outside this thread.
Except most of those characters have seen high demand since Brawl's announcement. Saki and to a lesser extent, Takumaru were the initial exceptions. Even then, Saki gained demand with S&P's VC release, while Takumaru has always had his fans.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I would like Snivy, Pignite, and Samurott instead.

Samurott would be like the first Pokemon swordfighter and the first quadrupedal swordfighter. But Dewott and Emboar would be fine, too... though Serperior would be pretty awesome... it would probably use its vines to punch and grab stuff like Ivysaur does.
Actually, as a snake, I don't think Serperior would need vines to grab. Constricting is a snake's most natural quality, so I doubt vines are needed for that. They could have it so that you press the grab button and Serperior quickly lunges at its foe. Then, it can wrap around them, and the imagination can go from there. :) The vines would still be great for punching/slashing/whiplashing though. Just my two cents.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I would love to see Meowth playable, either be solo like Pikachu or teamed with different Pokemon in this weird cross between Ice Climbers and Pokemon Trainer.

How about Team Rocket from Pokemon Yellow, it could either be with 1st gen Pokemon or with 5th gen Pokemon? Meowth could have three movesets depending on the following:

- Meowth alone
- Meowth teamed with Arbok (though Swoobat would be cool)
- Meowth teamed with Weezing (though Cofagrigus would be insanely cool)
Hmm.. I was thinking the same thing but yea Meowth could be in situations such as:

Solo character

A part of Team Rocket including:

Arbok
Weezing/Cocagrigus
OR
Lickitung
Victribell

even if it doesn't happen I'll be optimistic.

:phone:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I see what you're saying, but Nintendo has been pretty open when it comes to characters they planned for the game, why would they leave out Pit, Peach, and Meowth when discussing characters who didn't make it in 64.

However, Meowth is still Meowth, and he will always be popular. Plus, rumors never hurt anyone's chances. Look at the Geno support, he has, arguably, the most well known/believed rumor that the Brawl hype ever created. Rumors only further fan support, soooooo this is kind of a gift to Meowth.

The last thing I'm mentioningm on the whole Pokemon/relevance debate is, RELEVANCE IS NOT EVERYTHING
Right. This is pretty much why we have so many Balloon Fighter supporters. Remember that rumor where Balloon Fighter was allegedly in the Melee beta before he was swapped out for Ice Climbers?

With that said, I don't mind a playable Balloon Fighter but I think Tingle would be a better fit because he has so much more moveset potential compared to the Balloon Fighter... and he would represent his own spin-off series instead of Zelda series (same with how Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario represent their own spin-off series instead of representing Mario series).

D

Deleted member

@Starphoenix: Forgot to say thanks for the Custom Robo GX music. Great battle music.

@Arcadenik: And another reason why we can't support Balloon Fighter, he is never getting in. Sakurai already denounced him.

Steam

Smash Hero
I wouldn't use the "Get a life" excuse if I were you. What I do is my choice and as long as it does not harm others and I am still able to accomplish my goals, I will stick by it. You have no right to tell me to what I need to do.

Best to drop this now before it gets ugly. I don't want to get into this argument.
you choose to take the most offended interpretation lol.

I was just saying that just because everyone in this thread is talking about them, doesn't mean everyone in the general public is. most people are casual gamers and most people wouldn't have heard of takamaru for example. but there are a lot of factors that determine "popularity/relevance/whathaveyou"

@shortie- and I agree with all that lol

D

Deleted member

With that said, I don't mind a playable Balloon Fighter but I think Tingle would be a better fit because he has so much more moveset potential compared to the Balloon Fighter... and he would represent his own spin-off series instead of Zelda series (same with how Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario represent their own spin-off series instead of representing Mario series).
It bears mentioning that Nintendo put out a Balloon Fight game starring Tingle for Club Nintendo members a few years ago. Gameplay for proof.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I like how you always go for the underdogs, optimism is definetly the way to go, but seriously Tingle? I'm not hating on him or anything, it just seems a bit weird if you ask me, enlighten.

D

Deleted member

I was just saying that just because everyone in this thread is talking about them, doesn't mean everyone in the general public is. most people are casual gamers and most people wouldn't have heard of takamaru for example. but there are a lot of factors that determine "popularity/relevance/whathaveyou"
Indeed. Not many people in the general public knew about Ness or Ice Climbers before their Smash Bros. appearances. Pit and R.O.B. weren't amazingly popular, either.

D

Deleted member

@shortie- and I agree with all that lol
Takamaru is clearly relevant and is popular with supports on forum, especially here and GameFAQs. These are two major sites. There's also the fact that Takamaru has appeared in three games and Sakurai said if he appeared in a game, he would be considered. As such, he almost certainly will.

Also, it's the core gamers, those who follow Nintendo/Super Smash Bros. news that influence popular demands for characters.

You say yourself that most people don't know of Takamaru, but the same can be said for Ice Climbers, R.O.B., and Mr. Game & Watch. Only this time, Takamaru has appeared in three games after Brawl.

What I'm saying is that when it comes to demand, Nintendo have to look at core gamers demands. If they didn't, we may have never seen Pit in Brawl (I believe he had a huge demand for him) and the roster probably wouldn't be as good.

D

Deleted member

I like how you always go for the underdogs, optimism is definetly the way to go, but seriously Tingle? I'm not hating on him or anything, it just seems a bit weird if you ask me, enlighten.

He's rather popular in Japan. I mean, he's had two spin-off games, including the aforementioned Balloon Fight game.

Steam

Smash Hero
Takamaru is clearly relevant and is popular with supports on forum, especially here and GameFAQs. These are two major sites. There's also the fact that Takamaru has appeared in three games and Sakurai said if he appeared in a game, he would be considered. As such, he almost certainly will.

Also, it's the core gamers, those who follow Nintendo/Super Smash Bros. news that influence popular demands for characters.

You say yourself that most people don't know of Takamaru, but the same can be said for Ice Climbers, R.O.B., and Mr. Game & Watch. Only this time, Takamaru has appeared in three games after Brawl.
his games are popular in japan correct? I'm certainly not opposed to any of those characters lol

and ICs, RoB, and GW were paying a sort of respect to this history of nintendo.

but yeah, I think I've seen enough of this thread. lol

@your last point- I think that only applies to obscure series that only hardcore gamers would really know about/play. not your mario/pokemon/star fox/Donkey Kong/ etc.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Link, please? I posted my own idea earlier in this thread, but I'm interested in others.
Sure, here you go.

Not the best picture in the world but this should give everyone an idea of what a Custom Robo stage would look like.

Video: http://youtu.be/lZGcC3oNoRo

It'd look just like that except add platforms, a little more wireframe and some neon colors. With your techish flashes and design. Here would be the tracks for the stage. The platforms would be the walls and you could fight on the floor. Giving you two levels to fight on. When on the ground the walls will pose as an obstacle.

An example: _|-|__|-|_

Name: Cyber Holosseum
Icon: Custom Robo cube

Custom Robo 64 - Custom Battle
Custom Robo V2 - Custom Battle 2
Custom Robo V2 - Capsule Holesseum
Custom Robo V2 - Battle #2
Custom Robo GX - Regular Battle
Custom Robo: Battle Revolution - Heaven
Custom Robo: Battle Revolution - Frozen Game
Custom Robo Arena - Basic Battle
Sin and Punishment - Agave
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - System Menu
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin - Proud Soldier
Chosoju Mecha MG - Marionation Gear (Brawl)
Megaman Battle Network 3 - Great Battlers (Of course assuming Megaman is in the game)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3 (which is kind of weird since it isn't a Nintendo game), and his soon-to-be 3DS re-release, right? Do they count?

D

Deleted member

Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3 (which is kind of weird since it isn't a Nintendo game), and his soon-to-be 3DS re-release, right? Do they count?
I haven't heard of his 3DS re-release. I was referring to those two games and WarioWare: D.I.Y..

D

Deleted member

his games are popular in japan correct? I'm certainly not opposed to any of those characters lol

and ICs, RoB, and GW were paying a sort of respect to this history of nintendo.

but yeah, I think I've seen enough of this thread. lol
Actually, Takumaru has only starred in one game (Captain Rainbow and Samurai Warriors 3 don't count), and it wasn't really a hit at all.

D

Deleted member

Sure, here you go.
I like. I was thinking about a couple of hazards that could be added, since I don't think for the competitive scene when it comes to stages. :urg:

A cannon could rise up in the center and fire a pair of cubes. The cubes would spawn Custom Robos that duke it out until one them is defeated, at which point they both disappear. Their fight could be interferred with by the Smashers, and they could be defeated by either stamina depletion or ring-outs.

D

Deleted member

Takumaru? Isn't he a sword fighter?

Yes. Not sure why people say we have too many sword fighters.

Anyway, I translated the text that someone posted earlier. It's regarding Diddy and Dixie Kong and Sakurai said they would be a team:

Sakurai on Diddy and Dixie Kong said:
Actually, Diddy Kong was going to get paired with Dixie Kong. Going to change a system that would instantly put people at every touch. I quickly cut and there are many hard part.
Yeah this is Google Translation, but it indicates that he was trying to put those two together. Now I'm starting to get the feeling that Sakurai will revive this idea.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Takumaru? Isn't he a sword fighter?

He is, but just being an actual samurai makes him notably different from other sword users. More traditional style to it, I suppose. Plus, he has ninja stars, fireballs, lightning, and invisibility to work with. He also has sandals that let him walk on water if that helps.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I like. I was thinking about a couple of hazards that could be added, since I don't think for the competitive scene when it comes to stages. :urg:

A cannon could rise up in the center and fire a pair of cubes. The cubes would spawn Custom Robos that duke it out until one them is defeated, at which point they both disappear. Their fight could be interferred with by the Smashers, and they could be defeated by either stamina depletion or ring-outs.
Yeah any sign of a "gimmick" and people begin bawling and crying. I think it is personally neat, maybe it could be a background design animation?

D

Deleted member

Yeah any sign of a "gimmick" and people begin bawling and crying. I think it is personally neat, maybe it could be a background design animation?
I don't understand why people hate stage hazards so much. I think they add to the game. Also, I approve of your Custom Robo stage idea.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Also, he'll complete "Swordsmen of Smash" for good. He's the one of the first protagonists in Nintendo's history to use a sword

Besides he's "sibling" to Link in the veins of what Pit is to Samus, since Nazo No Murasamejo used same engine as in LOZ, but had more action and tempo in it's gameplay.

D

Deleted member

Awesome stuff. Makes me wish a CR character gets a chance this time around.
Exactly. He's in my Top 10 most wanted characters (Not in order yet aside from Mega Man). Hopefully, when it comes to newcomers, they'll recognize Ray MK III.

@Starphoenix: I'm curious, why did you say that Ray MK III had relevancy issue but yet you put Saki Amamiya in as a potential Assist Trophy character upgraded to playable character?

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Wait. When did Sakurai say that Diddy and Dixie would be a pair? Is this a recent interview? Also, did he mention anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom