• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Half of the time Sakurai's twitter posts are about a game he bought or pictures of his cat.
That would explain a lot. :laugh:

Anyway I doubt Sakurai life is completely about Smash. It's all about this. :awesome:

Plus I doubt he would say really anything about Smash there or at least until SSB4 is further in development that he can deconfirm a few things.

D

Deleted member

I feel the same way. Heck, prior to Sakurai saying "there will be cuts" there was not many people calling for cuts (and most of the people that did were only calling for Pichu to be cut).
I find it pretty disgraceful that people are suggesting that Lucario and Ike be replaced for Zoroark/Chrome respectively, even thought both Lucario and Ike had earned their place and should return. No one should be cut and hopefully with Sakurai's resistance to do so in Brawl, he may choose to avoid it altogether.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I feel the same way. Heck, prior to Sakurai saying "there will be cuts" there was not many people calling for cuts (and most of the people that did were only calling for Pichu to be cut).
I can't wait until we start getting little TIDBITS like that again. "There will be cuts, definitely," "The speed will be moderated," blah blah.

...I bet the subject of cuts will be one of the first things we'll learn, actually.

And would his twitter become the new "personal blog?"

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I find it pretty disgraceful that people are suggesting that Lucario and Ike be replaced for Zoroark/Chrome respectively, even thought both Lucario and Ike had earned their place and should return. No one should be cut and hopefully with Sakurai's resistance to do so in Brawl, he may choose to avoid it altogether.
Agreed. If anything I see him doing the opposite by bringing Mewtwo and Roy back.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I can't wait until we start getting little TIDBITS like that again. "There will be cuts, definitely," "The speed will be moderated," blah blah.

...I bet the subject of cuts will be one of the first things we'll learn, actually.

And would his twitter become the new "personal blog?"
Oh how people get so whiney about cuts.

Anyways, I don't think so. Although I could see tidbits of info being released that way. Did he doing anything like that with KI?

Also, did Toise show up today? I went back thiry pages and was't at last night, so yeah. Not going to try myself.

Agreed. If anything I see him doing the opposite by bringing Mewtwo and Roy back.
But with Lucario and Ike still missing. . . it's gonna happen, just be prepared.

lol@disgraceful. Why would you even use that word? Especially in a stupid thread about a videogame that hasn't even come out? That's a little harsh.

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Well then, let me say this: I want every character who's been playable in Smash to return. I don't care if they were "good god awful" or "clones." They've appeared in the Smash Bros. world, and they should stay in the Smash Bros. world.
Well said. I 100% agree. Mewtwo could have been buffed, and Lucario is different enough. Pichu we've already discussed. Roy could be strong and mildly fast: The in-between of fast but weak (although Marth isn't that weak) Marth and slow but strong Ike. Young Link is Toon Link, and they should've changed him enough (Hookshot instead of grappling hook? really?) Dr. Mario is a touchy subject. Maybe Mario could change (FLUDD for example) and Doc could be the "old" version (think Fox/Falco's blaster. Fox's blaster in 64 is Falco's in melee due to Fox's blaster changing)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Oh how people get so whiney about cuts.

Anyways, I don't think so. Although I could see tidbits of info being released that way. Did he doing anything like that with KI?

Also, did Toise show up today? I went back thiry pages and was't at last night, so yeah. Not going to try myself.
Nope, I haven't seen him at all, did he state he would show up lol..!?

:phone:

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Also, I'm not sure how many people wanted Lucario back in the Brawl day? Can someone with experience with Brawl hype give me a brief run-up of the Lucario hype?
Lucario wasn't too popular in the Smash Bros. community at first; everyone was gunning for Deoxys. When Deoxys was deconfirmed, Lucario was accepted as the
expected, but not necessarily wanted" character choice.

Haha, he's lucky I'm not on my PC, otherwise I would point out a massive wall against him.
My post turned out more scathing than I thought. :p No hard feelings.

I just get annoyed when someone brings up the "they're clones" argument.

@Java
Everyone apparently cares about clone status :(
Yep, it gets a little annoying sometimes.

Personally, I don't mind clones in Smash Bros. if the clone characters were added because of time constraints and the development team had no time to finish them before the deadline. Fact is, people would be satisfied just playing as the character they wanted, even if that character is a clone. It's just the basic desire of playing that character.

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
Characters getting cut always make me sad. Even if i hated the character i get sad. The only character i wouldnt be upset about getting cut would get sonic. Your too slo- *falcon punches *

OmegaXXII

I just hope Luigified clones have different aspects to them, I don't mind semi-clone, I just don't want very similar playstyle is all.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
Cutting anyone would be stupid because they already have a base to work on.

New characters are a lot harder to create from scratch than existing veterans who already have a base to work on.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Nope, I haven't seen him at all, did he state he would show up lol..!?

Yeah. He said for us to keep his eyes peeled.

I just hope Luigified clones have different aspects to them, I don't mind semi-clone, I just don't want very similar playstyle is all.
UNLESS he decides to change how he makes SSB in a very drastic way, get used to luigified clones. I could see all the characters being unique if he takes a consirvative approach to the roster count.

Cutting anyone would be stupid because they already have a base to work on.

New characters are a lot harder to create from scratch than existing veterans who already have a base to work on.
New character count > three or four characters being cut. Simple as that.

Yes. Few people realize that clones actually give us more characters to play as. I think most fans of Ganondorf, Falco, and Wolf rather have had those characters in as luigified clones than not in at all.
Falco Clone in Melee = Understandable

Falco Semi Clone in Brawl = Stupid

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't mind clones in Smash Bros. if the clone characters were added because of time constraints and the development team had no time to finish them before the deadline. Fact is, people would be satisfied just playing as the character they wanted, even if that character is a clone. It's just the basic desire of playing that character.
Yes. Few people realize that clones actually give us more characters to play as. I think most fans of Ganondorf, Falco, and Wolf rather have had those characters in as luigified clones than not in at all.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Whoever posted that Kirby Medley is awesome.

Same here, maybe minus Doc. Doc could be original, sure, but I don't really think an original Dr. Mario would be all that great.

I don't really mind Pichu being cut. However, I continue to argue if Pichu was high risk and high rewards, it would work. Imagine Pichu killing as early as Bowser, being uber fast, damaging itself, being by far the easiest character to KO, combo'ing like a beast, recovering like a beast, and just being all about risks and rewards. all with moves completely different from Pikachu. I don't like Pichu that much as a Pokémon, but that would make an incredible character. I would pay money for that.

Roy could be based off his attacks FE6. He has a certain swagger and is very much based on finesse with a lot of quick attacks with after lag that look nothing like what Marth or Ike's attacks look like.

Mewtwo could have hit boxes, moves that actually damage foes, and could actually weigh more than Peach! :laugh:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Why should anyone be cut? If Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition is built upon trying to mesh just about every Street Fighter character in existence under one title. Why is it so absurd to believe Smash Bros should or could do the same? Especially when the Smash Bros series has less characters to deal with. I cannot understand why this idea is so anathema or taboo? It isn't like we are looking at a large jump in newcomers anyways. After so many characters we begin to have to start looking at those with terrible chances; so as to even come close to having a number above ten.

I'm talking about the transition from Brawl into the next game.

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
Clones are okay since most of the time they have different priority,grab range(most of the time),movement patterens, sometimes hitboxes and defense options ( OoS options and dodges)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You can say what you want. You can write to your heart's content, but cuts are going to be considered and more than likely hapen, despite how much resistence you have on this board.

Cuts are just likely, despite what anyone says. (Except for Sakurai of course)

Having clones would have been great if it didn't mean Sakurai would ALWAYS SEE THEM AS CLONES.
EXACTLY.

OmegaXXII

You can say what you want. You can write to your heart's content, but cuts are going to be considered and more than likely hapen, despite how much resistence you have on this board.

I completly agree here (wow, me agreeing with shorts?)

Cuts are bound to happen, Smash doesn't operate things the way Capcom does, I wish it were the case but sadly it's the truth, cuts are bound to happen, period!!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why are cuts more likely? All the characters in smash right now are very relevant. There is no proof Sakurai will cut anyone. He hasn't said anything about it. It's just pure speculation right now. However, what we do know is Sakurai has never cut a franchise, and he returned about 76% of the Melee roster, or 4/14 newcomers. If Sakurai cuts that high a number of the current newcomers he's eliminating almost all original characters, Wolf aside. That would enrage fans, and people would be more hesitant to buying the game.

Also, Sakurai's theory behind adding clones adds up. Consider this:
Do you think most fans would rather have Young Link, Ganondorf, Luigi, and Falco as clones in Melee, or an original Wario? (how would that effect Melee's legacy?)
Would most fans rather have Toon Link, Ganondorf, Luigi, and Falco as clones in Brawl or Mewtwo?
It is not just the move sets, but the actual characters themselves. The people want the characters. Mostly popular characters, but some retro. Some characters can be cloned, which got them in, and has kept them in. Because as a worst case scenario, they can be added late.

And if you want true clones, play every character in Super Smash Bros. 64... plus Doctor Mario! :laugh: Nearly all the characters have the same aerials, tilts, and often even smash attacks. They all generally have the sex neutral air kick, the behind the head up air, the stomp kick or spin kicks down air, the forward kick thrust forward air, and the back kick or back punch back air, etc.

The "clones" have gotten a lot less and less like their counterparts. Toon Link not just looks different from Link, but has different DI, the way his bombs effect the opponent are different, the way he walks is different, etc. Ganondorf's movements are a lot less like Captain Falcon, and the way characters react after getting hit by him is nothing like what they react to Captain Falcon's hits; they are much more devastating. Luigi doesn't seem anything much like Mario anymore, and I assume soon he may not even have any of the same tilts.

@ Metroid Man (yes I will call you that)
Here's Roy in Fire Emblem 6; compare this to Marth and Ike's styles

Note that that was only some of his fighting style and attacks

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I completly agree here (wow, me agreeing with shorts?)

Cuts are bound to happen, Smash doesn't operate things the way Capcom does, I wish it were the case but sadly it's the truth, cuts are bound to happen, period!!

Cuts happened between SF IV and SF III . . .

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

I'm saying it is unnecessary to cut characters that are enjoyed when most of the newcomers that are popular do not even encroach above the current newcomer threshold that has been retained in every title to date. This is especially true when Sakurai feels there are even less characters to work with. No matter how much you want to downplay it people do care that Mewtwo and Roy were cut, and there is demand for them to come back. So if people favor Ike and Lucario over Chrome and Zoroark why replace them and have another Mewtwo and Roy indecent? Unless Sakurai is pressured by the companies themselves why should he include a character that is not nearly as requested or even as desired as those from Melee and Brawl? For all that make Zoroark a Pokéball Pokémon, if you can do it for characters who at least had more of a fanbase such as Deoxys and Gardevoir, why not him?

I don't understand why you have to get on my case all the time.

If I expect any cuts it will likely be Sonic and Snake.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Honestly though if cuts happen, we will see them coming ahead of time. Sakurai said there were cuts. Until he says there will or won't be cuts (he has said he hasn't even thought about the roster), we can assume it won't go either way. Last time, anyone could see Dr. Mario and Pichu getting cut, and most of us felt like Roy was getting cut. Mewtwo getting cut was stupid, but it was a choice, and a very unpopular one. (actually it kept Taj from even considering competitive Brawl)

So really, unless Sakurai wants to make another unpopular choice, any cuts would be to the less popular characters like Wolf and... well... Wolf. Maybe Ike, but who wants that bad a** cut=??? Or ROB, although he's cool. If any original character was cut I would honestly want Pit cut because he's a friggen spammy lil' camper (hopefully they fix that).

Hopefully with more time, a console that isn't a weaker console than the original Playstation and Windows 95, characters that aren't cardboard cut outs, and online game play that isn't as bad as dial-up gives the smash bros developers time to make the proper smash bros game.

Seriously though, not bringing back Sonic or Snake would hurt sales. Fortunately, Sakurai isn't that stupid. Sonic alone probably added a million units sold. I'm not exaggerating. If Sonic didn't return there would be so much less hype. Nintendo would fire Sakurai before letting that happen. It's good for Sega, and it's good for Nintendo, it attracts business and hype. Anyone predicting that may as well predict Mario being cut. I bet money on Diddy Kong staying ($50; the dude didn't honor the bet); I would bet $50 on Sonic because I CAN SEE THE FUTURE! (no really, I guessed 10 out of the last 11 Super Bowls right, and the last 7 NBA Championships right; of course, I mean between the last two teams before it happens, of course. Thank you Eli Manning, Michael Strahan, and Justin Tuck for the $600... I spent on school books!). :urg:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Because they are by nature third party characters. They are always expendable. Granted, if any were to stay it would probably be Sonic. Still, they are guests.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't understand why you have to get on my case all the time.

If I expect any cuts it will likely be Sonic and Snake.
You weren't quoted, and you definitely weren't the only one talking about clones. You're the only one who felt they were singled out.

Besides, who cares if I think cuts will happen? I think you guys just hold on too hard. Look at SFIII. We got like, four character from previous installments, and a lot of fans consider that game to be the best SF ever. I'm saying, cuts aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sonic will never be cut.

Can you imagine the outlash from the sonic fanbase??
Sakurai has referred to Sonic and Snake as guests. If they do not return, its because they were "guests".

We do not know what Sakurai's policy is regarding guest characters returning. I have a feeling though Kojima already has had a discussion with Sakurai about the subject of Snake and Smash 4...

If Snake returns, then Sonic will almost assuredly return too (there would be an even bigger outcry if Snake returned, and Sonic did not, as opposed to both not returning on the basis that guests can only stay "one night").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom