• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You know, they don't have to include a 5th or 6th gen Pokemon. If there are 5 slots reserved for Pokemon characters, we could have Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer, Mewtwo, and Lucario. Yes, you wouldn't see the newer generations getting represented, but no one's getting axed.
That true that Pokemon does not need another newcomer. I personally am fine with the ones we have; all they really should have to do is re-add Mewtwo to the list. That said, the only way all five are returning is if six slots occur due to the fact that a Pokemon newcomer is guarantee. Which quite frankly isn't likely.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Nope, we will definetly have "the latest rep" I can almost guarantee you we are, Pokemon always does it, it would be a good decision for them to just have "past" representation.

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I am sorry to say this, but I need to break this to you now before others do.

Junichi Masuda's favorite Pokemon being Victini will have no affect on his chances for better or worse.

Here is the reason: the Pokemon Company and Game Freak are two entirely different companies. Junichi Masuda is a main figure of Game Freak, not Pokemon Company. The Pokemon Company handles the sales and advertisement for the Pokemon franchise. When Sakurai refers to the Pokemon Company being difficult to deal with, he does not refer to Game Freak. That means Game Freak has no bearings on Smash content whatsoever, that goes to the Pokemon Company. Meaning that Junichi Masuda will have no role in which Pokemon characters gets in.

It hurts to hear this, but it is the truth. That said, it does not mean that Victini can't get in. He still has a lot of things going for his inclusion and he is still one of the most likely potential Pokemon newcomer we have there; it's just that Game Freak will have no say on which Pokemon will get in.
I don't think we should take this badly.

If it is the Pokemon Company then I'm pretty sure that they would also be in favor of 6 Slots. No one gets cut, they make money, everyone wins.

Except for Pichu. XP

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman

If it is the Pokemon Company then I'm pretty sure that they would also be in favor of 6 Slots. No one gets cut, they make money, everyone wins.

Except for Pichu. XP
PICHU!!! NUUUU!! D: *cuddles pichu*

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Pichu could have been a really interesting character. Huge knockback and damage for a hit at the expense of hurting yourself if you miss and being light? That could be a good character: High risk, high reward. In melee there wasn't enough of an "reward."

Oh, and MEWTWO FTW!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Five spots? Really? Pokémon deserves no less than 6, especially with all the great options we have. 7 is just as likely as 6, and 8 slots, while not very likely, doesn't seem that crazy at all.

So let me rank 'em-
Automatic:
-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-5th Generation Pokémon

Near shoe-in:
-the Pokémon Trainer (the same thing!)

Likely:
-Mewtwo
-Lucario

Has a chance:
-Plusle and Minun
-Deoxys
-Pichu
-Meowth

My 2 cents at least.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Pichu could have been a really interesting character. Huge knockback and damage for a hit at the expense of hurting yourself if you miss and being light? That could be a good character: High risk, high reward. In melee there wasn't enough of an "reward."
Uh... you do know that Pichu was in Melee, right? And he was all that you mentioned.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
He put them up as 5th gen

Plusle and Minun as likely? Maybe....I remember hearing about their popularity before, but what about now?

@CalvinWars
Agreed not enough reward

D

Deleted member

Except for Pichu. XP
Yeah, I've already gotten over this. I heard about this about a month ago and I almost gave up hope for it. Then I realized that Victini had other things going for it, so my confidence in its inclusion has since came back fully.

And as I've said before, I'm in favor of six slots. If any franchise deserves one, this is it. Mario can also justify six slots as well. Heck, if you look at the newcomers on my list that I actively support, I'd be fine with Pokemon having seven (no cuts made, 49 slots). But I think we can all agree that there is no reason for the franchise to not have at least five.

OmegaXXII

mewtwo would just be a lucario clone
No, not really, Mewtwo WAS NOT a Lucario clone, why do people assume he was a clone when in fact the only move they shared was Shadow Ball? People need to understand that Mewtwo was never replaced by Lucario, if anything it was Pokemon Trainer who took his place, why else would Sakurai have both Lucario and Mewtwo planned for Brawl development?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
He was horrible, he self damaged, how did you enjoy that? On top of that he is a clone!!

Pichu can be fixed. Imagine if Pikachu doesn't have the ability to attack while in the Quick Attack, and instead gets all around buffed up. Well, let's say Pichu returns, can attack while in the Quick Attack, is lightning Quick, has new and original moves, can combo like a freak, hurts itself, and has moves that kill as low as Bowser, yet can be killed at like 40% by Bowser.

Tell me, why wouldn't you want to play as something that crazy=???

Even though Pichu was awful in Melee it doesn't mean it doesn't have any potential to be a possibly great character for smash bros in the future.

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Uh... you do know that Pichu was in Melee, right? And he was all that you mentioned.
Ya i know. I said that :glare: . If his attacks actually gave the incredible damage and knockback that they should of, Pichu wouldn't be the terrible character he is.

As in, he had strong knockback and damage with his attacks. However, he hurt himself when he attacked. He was also the lightest character. The strong attacks and knockback weren't worth the risk of attacking in the first place.

What i want is for his attacks to have incredible power (make ganondorf's stomp look like fox's blaster /exaggeration) Make it actually worth it to attack. Make an interesting character with a twist. An overpowered character made balanced because of weight and the self damage versus an average character made terrible by self damage and weight.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@SSBF

Agreed, Pokemon deserves 6 slots.

And while we all know it's not as likely as 5 slots, it doesn't hurt to have some hope for 6 slots.

Also if the Pokemon Company is in charge of who gets in, wouldn't that mean they would be in favor of Victini due to the movies, rising popularity, money, and support of the President of Game Freak.

Sorry if I'm not being realistic, I'm just trying to stay somewhat hopeful by looking on the bright side. ;)

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
If The Pokémon Company and Game Freak did not beat Sakurai down into submission to advertise the latest series I would say that a 5th Generation Pokémon is not likely. Here is the cold truth. The people that legitimately want Zoroark/Victini/Genesect/Random Character xxxx are exponentially smaller than those who want Mewtwo to return and Lucario to stay. Which is why they are characters that are "expected", but not really "wanted". Otherwise representing 5th Generation Pokémon can be done using the Pokéballs. It isn't necessary to have one generation each playable. Playable Pokémon should be for those that people honestly want and care about. Like Mewtwo and Lucario.

The same goes for Chrome. I am going to go on record saying this. If Chrome does not show more improvement beyond being "Ike 2.0" he will not be a playable character in the next Smash Bros. Period. There is no reason to cut Ike, and yes Chrome and Ike are in competition regardless of what the fanboys believe, for a character that barely has a history in the series. The same applies to Roy. Roy is someone people actually care about, or else there would not be a consistent demand for him within the Smash fanbase. In Japan a poll was held and Roy was the character everyone was upset about being removed. That sentiment has not changed. Regardless of how his popularity has or was obtained he has it, and people do want him back. There is no reason a character should be considered likelier just because he/she/it are newer. Whether it be Pokémon or Fire Emblem. Especially when there is even less precedent to state such with Fire Emblem.

D

Deleted member

--- said:
Also if the Pokemon Company is in charge of who gets in, wouldn't that mean they would be in favor of Victini due to the movies, rising popularity, money, and support of the President of Game Freak.
Depends on if they can look over its Mew-like status. If they can do that, then I see that as likely and since patterns are definitive, Victini will probably be the first one of its kind to be seriously considered.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Well, the way I see it, Pichu still has outs. One is being add-on DLC, the other is either AT or my pokeball idea.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
He was horrible, he self damaged, how did you enjoy that? On top of that he is a clone!!
So because he wasn't particularly great in one game means he can't be fixed for another?

I liked Pichu because he was fun to play as. Sure, he damaged himself, but I enjoyed the mix of light weight, great KO power and knockback, and his unique self-damaging gimmick.

And who gives a crud about clone status? Just because they used the same moves as another character doesn't make them "lesser". I like how you started supporting Roy at one point, and then when the new FE announcement game and you thought he didn't have a chance, you turn backwards and say "Why would anyone support a clone?" :glare:

And I ain't no Roy fanboy...

OmegaXXII

Well, I can see change in Pichu, but I doubt Sakurai is going to care much when it comes to him, I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, I just see it as unlikely.

D

Deleted member

Lets not get into an arguement people. Please use your inside voices o: or letters.
We are using our inside voice.

Anyway Starphoenix, I see where you're coming from, so I'm not going to argue with you about it, but just be glad this isn't GameFAQs. Otherwise, you would be flamed hard.

Also, I'm not sure how many people wanted Lucario back in the Brawl day? Can someone with experience with Brawl hype give me a brief run-up of the Lucario hype?

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
Forums are the inside voices and letters haha
Shortie's Rain Dance idea was cool. It should be it's DownB then followed up by Thunder (or not, but the could gives way to the idea)

@Java
Everyone apparently cares about clone status :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom