• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Also, I'm not sure how many people wanted Lucario back in the Brawl day? Can someone with experience with Brawl hype give me a brief run-up of the Lucario hype?
All I remember is that there was a Lucario alliance. And from what I could tell it was as large as all of the current alliances combined.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
We are using our inside voice.

Anyway Starphoenix, I see where you're coming from, so I'm not going to argue with you about it, but just be glad this isn't GameFAQs. Otherwise, you would be flamed hard.
I know. My response is because of much of the absurdity I see cycling around that website. If people can just take a step back and slook at who is actually being requested and why. It is not that surprising or difficult to come similar conclusions. Problem is people interject so many imaginary and flat out stupid criteria on how and why characters are selected. This is exactly WHY people were shocked by Brawl's roster. People made up their own criteria only to find out Sakurai does not operate that way. If people even cared to actually do some research before running their gums maybe they could see how Sakurai selects characters. Which is a little more of a basis than argument A, B, and C.

For the record I am going to post my response on Gamefaqs.

D

Deleted member

what would victini's moveset look like?

obviously v-create for a final smash but I can't really think of anything else except generic fire moves and psychic
As a Mew-like Pokemon, Victini's jumps would be long and floaty for the average SSB character. I think his normal moves would take less damage then normal, but I believe the main part of his attack would be to emphasize the Smash and Specials and utilize it well.

But then again, I suck at creating move sets.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
We are using our inside voice.

Anyway Starphoenix, I see where you're coming from, so I'm not going to argue with you about it, but just be glad this isn't GameFAQs. Otherwise, you would be flamed hard.

Also, I'm not sure how many people wanted Lucario back in the Brawl day? Can someone with experience with Brawl hype give me a brief run-up of the Lucario hype?
Lucario was in the same situation as Zoroark/Victini. Pretty expected. Maybe not as much in the beginning, but the closer Brawl came to release, the more expected he became. I remember Munchlax had some support. I think third-gen support was split between Blaziken, Gardevoir, and Deoxys?

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
If The Pokémon Company and Game Freak did not beat Sakurai down into submission to advertise the latest series I would say that a 5th Generation Pokémon is not likely. Here is the cold truth. The people that legitimately want Zoroark/Victini/Genesect/Random Character xxxx are exponentially smaller than those who want Mewtwo to return and Lucario to stay. Which is why they are characters that are "expected", but not really "wanted". Otherwise representing 5th Generation Pokémon can be done using the Pokéballs. It isn't necessary to have one generation each playable. Playable Pokémon should be for those that people honestly want and care about. Like Mewtwo and Lucario.

The same goes for Chrome. I am going to go on record saying this. If Chrome does not show more improvement beyond being "Ike 2.0" he will not be a playable character in the next Smash Bros. Period. There is no reason to cut Ike, and yes Chrome and Ike are in competition regardless of what the fanboys believe, for a character that barely has a history in the series. The same applies to Roy. Roy is someone people actually care about, or else there would not be a consistent demand for him within the Smash fanbase. In Japan a poll was held and Roy was the character everyone was upset about being removed. That sentiment has not changed. Regardless of how his popularity has or was obtained he has it, and people do want him back. There is no reason a character should be considered likelier just because he/she/it are newer. Whether it be Pokémon or Fire Emblem. Especially when there is even less precedent to state such with Fire Emblem.

I agree with every bit of this. Smash has, to date, given us 40 different characters. It matters not if some were "clones." If fans want them back, they should get them back.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Lucario was by far the most requested Pokemon for the 4th-generation. The only other Pokemon that was heavily requested for a newcomer spot was Deoxys. However, when Deoxys was deconfirmed, Lucario was pretty much seen as the defacto newcomer.

Other Pokemon that had some support getting in Brawl were Meowth and Gardevoir (most of "her" following was from the furry subset of the Pokemon fanbase).

Darkrai also had some support too, but his fanbase did not seem to take off. Perhaps if the movie had been localized prior to Brawl's release, he would have likely have had more of a Western fanbase prior to Brawl.

Also, I concur with everything Starphoenix has said regarding Chrome.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Seriously, did somebody say Lucario or Mewtwo would be clones? Seriously, just play Melee and Brawl, and compare their moves. Mario and Fox are more alike than Lucario and Mewtwo. *facepalm*

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Lucario was in the same situation as Zoroark/Victini. Pretty expected. Maybe not as much in the beginning, but the closer Brawl came to release, the more expected he became. I remember Munchlax had some support. I think third-gen support was split between Blaziken, Gardevoir, and Deoxys?
Yes, although Deoxys's support was usually hampered by Mewtwo fanboys since a lot of people at that time thought Deoxys being playable meant Mewtwo would be replaced. Fewer held to the belief that both could be playable. Once Deoxys was unveiled as a Pokéball Pokémon everyone switched to Lucario or Mewtwo at that point.

Hey, Chronobound. Do you know Japanese, by chance?
He must know a little bit or he wouldn't be able to surf around Japanese forums as he sometimes does.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Years from now, after Victini/Zoroark and Chrome get into Sm4sh, someone is going to be saying "Who cares about [Gen Whatever Pokemon] and [FE Something Or Other Lord]! We don't want these new guys! We want Victini/Zoroark and Chrome to return! We want to play as the guys we actually care about in Smash 5!"

And I want you to feel silly then, Star. :troll:
Y'know, when you're not bringing home the bacon for your wife and pretty much just not caring about anything Smash related... :I

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Years from now, after Victini/Zoroark and Chrome get into Sm4sh, someone is going to be saying "Who cares about [Gen Whatever Pokemon] and [FE Something Or Other Lord]! We don't want these new guys! We want Victini/Zoroark and Chrome to return! We want to play as the guys we actually care about in Smash 5!"
Your insinuation would have more of a point if this were not the first time this has happened.

Yes, by the time Smash 4 comes out I probably will not really care if I was right or not. Heck, I don't now.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
They should follow Sakurai on Twitter. You know, in case he mentions something about Smash Bros.
Sorry I don't have a twitter nor do I know how to use it. XP

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Here's a funny flash regarding Pichu: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/426900

On topic: Don't forget about the Blaziken support during the brawl days. I supported Blaziken first then Deoxys then Lucario. 3rd generation was amazing. Still wish they could get a rep :urg: . And the rumors of a remake keep getting my hopes up :( .
haha, funny stuff there, yup.

:phone:

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Well then, let me say this: I want every character who's been playable in Smash to return. I don't care if they were "good god awful" or "clones." They've appeared in the Smash Bros. world, and they should stay in the Smash Bros. world.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Haha, I was a Mild Blazakin supporter back then myself, souch hype, I would mind he was part of a trainer starter team, soo awesome!

:phone:

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
well then, let me say this: I want every character who's been playable in smash to return. I don't care if they were "good god awful" or "clones." they've appeared in the smash bros. World, and they should stay in the smash bros. World.
you sir deserve a medal!

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Star: humph. >:I

Where does Sakurai even find the time to play all those games he buys. Is that why Kid Icarus is getting delayed? :awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well then, let me say this: I want every character who's been playable in Smash to return. I don't care if they were "good god awful" or "clones." They've appeared in the Smash Bros. world, and they should stay in the Smash Bros. world.
I feel the same way. Heck, prior to Sakurai saying "there will be cuts" there was not many people calling for cuts (and most of the people that did were only calling for Pichu to be cut).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom