• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
It could be a ways away though. . .

I'll stick to drawing it for now.

Anyways, anyone game to make a cut list? Like, if I asked you to cut fifteen characters, who would you look to first, then second, third ect.

Fifteen? That's pretty steep.

What I'd do:

1. Toon Link
2. R.O.B.
3. Lucario
4. Sonic
5. Snake
6. Ike
7. Wario
8. Falco
9. Ness
10. Lucas*
11. Pokemon Trainer*
12. Jigglypuff*
13. Mr. Game & Watch
14. Diddy
15. Sheik

What will probably happen:

1. Snake
2. Sonic
3. Toon Link
4. Lucario
5. Ike
6. Wolf
7. Lucas
8. Pokemon Trainer*
9. Marth*
10. Ness*
11. Jigglypuff*
12. Ganondorf*
13. R.O.B.
14. Sheik
15. Diddy

*These are assuming any characters above them from their respective franchise aren't cut. Ex: PT won't be cut if Lucario is, but if Lucario stays, he's in danger.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I was just thinking about how SFIII had a total new roster, so I sort of applied it to SSB4. Of course, Nintendo cannot cut all but two characters, but they could cut it down to fifteen or so, and still have the core characters they need.

Why did you choose Diddy before Wario or Yoshi? I figured, the DK series is pretty big, and even under cuts he should keep Diddy, over Wario, who is pretty much a Mario character at this point. I mean, we have six Mario characters pretty much.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Let's see then:

In order:

Olimar
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Wolf
Snake
King DDD
Sonic
Marth
ROB
Pokemon Trainer
Toon Link
Lucas
Ice Climbers
Wario

Diddy Kong

:phone:

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
I was just thinking about how SFIII had a total new roster, so I sort of applied it to SSB4. Of course, Nintendo cannot cut all but two characters, but they could cut it down to fifteen or so, and still have the core characters they need.

Why did you choose Diddy before Wario or Yoshi? I figured, the DK series is pretty big, and even under cuts he should keep Diddy, over Wario, who is pretty much a Mario character at this point. I mean, we have six Mario characters pretty much.
No, I'm not complaining. Thinking in terms of extremes like that forces us to really compare characters on their own merit and accept who really isn't necessary in the grand scheme of things. For example, I love Sheik, but I have to admit that she's expendable.

Sorry, I listed them in terms who I think is likely to be cut, not who I would prefer to cut. So I made a second list.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
No, I'm not complaining. Thinking in terms of extremes like that forces us to really compare characters on their own merit and accept who really isn't necessary in the grand scheme of things. For example, I love Sheik, but I have to admit that she's expendable.
Yeah I agree. Sheik is one of the characters that was a total "OMG! WTF!?!" type of things for me. I loved her as an addition, but she's expendable. The only reason I didn't place her at the top is because I feel that there are quite a few more expendable characters that could be shafted, before we need to even worry about cutting half of Zelda.

It's weird, I really couldn't cut much of the Mario series. . . I mean, you can cut Pokemon like crazy because they have about eight other great picks behind them, but I couldn't cut Yoshi, Luigi or Peach. If I had to though, that would be the order. Wario ahead of Yoshi, and Bowser behind Peach.

Also, I don't think Japan is as in love with COD like we are. Black ops sold: 175,813 in Japan. That's not good, is it?

OmegaXXII

CoD is in Japan? Since when?

Of course the Western region enjoys shooters more, it's tradition, Japan isn't into that mostly.

D

Deleted member

Unova is similar to an American region, right?

I've been thinking about this because it should mean that they have some knowledge on the West and I think that the Pokemon Company will almost certainly look at what happens to Pokemon outside of Japan. If they do that to decide on the 5th gen rep, then I think Victini not being mentioned frequently in Japan and Zoroark being "expected, but not wanted" there may not hold much weight.
Shortiecanbrawl said:
I brought this up last night, and there are more poepl around now, so I'll bring it up again.

How would you like it if instead of "Assist Trophies" we got assist characters? Where the character you pick gives you a fifth special? Sort of like MvC, the character pops out, and does an attack?

I guess it could be done in one of two ways. One way, you pick that character at the beginig of the match, and you have them throughout the rest of the game. Another way would be, you get an assist trophy during battle, and you can use this assist charactereither for a set number of uses, or until you die or something?

I myself am not too sold on the idea, but I thought I would just throw it out there. I just feel like the assist trophies are just Pokeballs. I want them to act differently.
I think it should do it like Marvel Vs. Capcom does. Have the character pop-out for an attack or two and come right back.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Unova is similar to an American region, right?

I've been thinking about this because it should mean that they have some knowledge on the West and I think that the Pokemon Company will almost certainly look at what happens to Pokemon outside of Japan. If they do that to decide on the 5th gen rep, then I think Victini not being mentioned frequently in Japan and Zoroark being "expected, but not wanted" there may not hold much weight.
Of course they look at what western gamers want. I mean, America is probably the second to Japan in terms of how many Pokemon fans/players the country has.

Victini is a pretty American Pokemon IMO. He reminds me of the 4th of July. They must have looked at western culture for some inspiration, at least for Victini.

That would be amazing, Nintendo vs.Marvel!??

Ewwwww. Capcom x Shonen Jump?

OmegaXXII

So does this mean because Unova is western based that Sakurai might determine Zoroark more since he is more favored in Japan?

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
The only problem I see with assist characters is that everyone's doing it. Even Dissidia. Granted, assist trophies basically accomplished the same thing (making more characters "playable"), and was essentially a pokeball ripoff, so the opposing case isn't too strong either.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
The Victini movie getting revealed in America definitely raises his chances quite a bit, I think Zoroark is still a bit ahead of him though.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So I just checked Serebii, and wouldn't you know it? A new set of cards are coming out. Guess who is sporting the front of the "Hail Blizzard and Psycho Drive" packs?

Mewtwo and Kyurem. You know who has been marketed recently? Mewtwo? You know who has been having a lot of rumors swirl about them being the main focal point of Pokemon Gray? Kyurem.

Do you think this is just a coincidence?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
So I just checked Serebii, and wouldn't you know it? A new set of cards are coming out. Guess who is sporting the front of the "Hail Blizzard and Psycho Drive" packs?

Mewtwo and Kyurem. You know who has been marketed recently? Mewtwo? You know who has been having a lot of rumors swirl about them being the main focal point of Pokemon Gray? Kyurem.

That is... pretty interesting.

Quite SUSPECT.

I could expect that Kyurem will star in the next movie, and of course be the mascot of Grey, but how would Mewtwo be thrown into the mix?! He's been out of the anime for years. THOUGH LAST WE HEARD WE WAS IN A "FAR AWAY CITY"... I think?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528

Meh I don't know maybe... Kyurem's been having rumors spread about it right when Pokemon Black and White came out I do think the certain spike of Mewtwo merchandise might catch Sakurai's attention though.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Interesting indeed, so Grey will come soon??

Most likely... they'll probably announce it in like January or something since they just recently revealed a game even though it's only a spin off title, they really could announce it any day now though if they wanted since FrLg was revealed around this time.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
What's the point of making two separate versions than making one that is superior (I assume) later?

OmegaXXII

Same here I think Ike was actually the first character I used in Brawl... or was it Pokemon Trainer I don't know we should talk about the adventure mode plot.
Ike actually brought something new to the table and was more unique unlike Roy who was only a clone, Ike for that reason needs to stay because of uniqueness.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
What's the point of making two separate versions than making one then is superior (I assume) later?
They sell. That's about it.

That is... pretty interesting. Well, and they usually have more replay value to them. Platinum, HG, and SS all had a lot of things you could do after you beat the game. Like challenge the Frontier brains, the revamped elite four and the revamped Gym leaders. All of which, are helpful for training Pokemon.
Quite SUSPECT.

I could expect that Kyurem will star in the next movie, and of course be the mascot of Grey, but how would Mewtwo be thrown into the mix?! He's been out of the anime for years. THOUGH LAST WE HEARD WE WAS IN A "FAR AWAY CITY"... I think?
Well I figure, Mewtwo's big thing was his event. He could play a role in Gray though. "MEWTWO, COMES TO AMERICA UNOVA". They tend to tweak the third games a bit anyways. Canon wise, Mewtwo is probably still in cerulean cave right? Maybe someone disturbed him or something.

Is Mewtwo in Cerulean cave in HGSS?

So, maybe he left the cave in search for new trainers to challenge, or something. I hope he takes a more intellegent role if he shows up in Gray. Similar to how he did in the movie. In the card set, Mewtwo's cards are a mix of BW/other gens. UNLIKE the previous sets. Maybe Mewtwo's events, and the added old generations are a sign that in Gray we will see previous generation Pokemon?It wouldn't make much sense, considering Japan and America are worlds apart, but I am reading already too far into this, so why not take it the max?

Too bad this doesn't change anything in terms of Pokemon characters. Mewtwo is still going to be in high demand, and Genesect still hasn't reared his mothership of a head yet.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Too bad this doesn't change anything in terms of Pokemon characters. Mewtwo is still going to be in high demand, and Genesect still hasn't reared his mothership of a head yet.
If Arceus is any indication, Genesect probably won't rear his UGLY head until... 2013! 8D

Alsooo... B/W takes place a few years after HGSS, so make of that what you will with your MEWTWO SPECULATION.

Can't imagine him having anything to do with the story in Grey... unless, since B/W were supposed to feel NEW by not having any old Pokemon show up at all, maybe they would incorporate some into the story of Grey.

I figure the next movie would probably use Kyurem and those genie things.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If Arceus is any indication, Genesect probably won't rear his UGLY head until... 2013! 8D
Meh. Lame. Although I wouldn't take much from Arceus considering Genesect seems to be more like Mewtwo, not the Pokemon version of god. I mean, Genesect actually has a chance at being playable because he isn't sized all funky and whatnot.

Alsooo... B/W takes place a few years after HGSS, so make of that what you will with your MEWTWO SPECULATION.
Yeah, it can't be TOO many years after HGSS/DPPt, because Cynthia isn't old or anything.

I figure the next movie would probably use Kyurem and those genie things.
Such lame Pokemon. Kyurem looks like the Reshiram and Zekrom's ******** brother they didn't want people to know they had so they hid him in the giant chasm or whatever. The genies are just. . . stupid. They have an interesting story, but their designs aren't that great.

y.toonlink

Smash Ace
No references whatsoever, apart from the Chronicle.
Well, thats pretty unfortunate I was told it was a fun game...maybe a Sticker or Trophy might show up in SSB4 tho

Meh. Seems like a lazy but successful way to keep the franchise seem like it's alive. It wouldn't make much sense to release just one game and wait 4-5 years for the next one.
You're talking about SSB4 Wii to 3DS right? If so, yea for sales and promotion.

As for the talk about making Smash more like fighting games, it's fine how it is now. I like Shortie's idea of making Assist Trophies like MvC assist, but I thought of it like a one time use and that you can control when to use them rather than holding the trophy and running around.
The only change I'd like to see is better physics (my bias because I like Melee more) and better balancing.
I still don't see why X Factor is really "horrible". Both players have the opportunity to use it at will, and its most commonly used towards the end making the last fight more interesting, almost like a 4th character. In the eyes of the one getting their a** kicked its not good but if you use it correctly it plays out really well.
It's not as bad as a comeback as tripping in Brawl (if anyone looks at it as a counter comeback thing)

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Yes, I have to agree that is rather epic for a Toad theme.

What I'd do:

*These are assuming any characters above them from their respective franchise aren't cut. Ex: PT won't be cut if Lucario is, but if Lucario stays, he's in danger.
If I had to cut fifteen characters, I'd cut them in this order:
  1. Snake
  2. Sonic
  3. Lucario
  4. Lucas
  5. Wolf
  6. Toon Link
  7. Sheik
  8. R.O.B.
  9. Falco
  10. Ike
  11. Metaknight
  12. Jigglypuff
  13. Ice Climbers
  14. Ganondorf
  15. Peach

My choices were made based on both personal bias and who I think should be in Smash Bros. more than the previously cut characters (which can also be called bias, but whatever).

Phostopheles

Smash Journeyman
Meh. Lame. Although I wouldn't take much from Arceus considering Genesect seems to be more like Mewtwo, not the Pokemon version of god. I mean, Genesect actually has a chance at being playable because he isn't sized all funky and whatnot.
Arceus vs. Okami.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's more that he's the last in the Dex. SO FAR AT LEAST, I think they've gone in the order they appear when it comes to REVELATION. So that's two, maybe even three movies before Genesect's.

Yeah, it can't be TOO many years after HGSS/DPPt, because Cynthia isn't old or anything.
MAYBE SHE JUST TAKES GOOD CARE OF HER PIXELS.

Such lame Pokemon. Kyurem looks like the Reshiram and Zekrom's ******** brother they didn't want people to know they had so they hid him in the giant chasm or whatever. The genies are just. . . stupid. They have an interesting story, but their designs aren't that great.
Yeah, the legendaries are really dumb this time around. Which is unfortunate since I WOULD SAY, we had an otherwise great batch of new Pokeymanz for this gen.

...If we had the Unova Trainer, and he used Snivy, I wonder if he would slither across the ground for his dash. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom