• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Having played MvC3, I can tell you that Capcom's control inputs are more complex than Super Smash Bros (I even have hard performing the Dragon Punch move on the D-stick).

Trust me, throwing a Disgaea character or two (or a Phantom Brave character) will make the said games get more recognition.
I know, I play MvC3. xD That's why I was saying they are so different.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Sadly, looking over it, I now realize that Power Glove was by Mattel and not Nintendo, squashing my hope for a Power Glove item. It would have been so bad.

Dark Paladin X

Smash Journeyman
I know, I play MvC3. xD That's why I was saying they are so different.
On the other hand, such complexity in Capcom's fighting games allow larger movesets than Super Smash Bros., which is why Capcom is a good reference point to add more third party characters.

On the side note, I think the Mario and Legend of Zelda characters should have more voice acting rather than just simple "yahoos!", yells, and grunts, because the voice acting for these characters aren't as complex when compared to the Star Fox characters or Solid Snake.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You beat me to it, Dark Paladin.

While traditional fighter have more "complex" execution, it gives the developers more room for specials without having a minimum or a maximum which means more options which means more depth.

On DLC, I honestly don't want it to happen very often. If characters are gonna be added, do a number of them at once so we get a rebalance of the game. Knowing Nintendo, they wouldn't want to do just a character for two as DLC because it splits the userbase.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You can use the classic controller, but with a Wii mote. There's no ports for anything except USB-based peripherals.

You won't be using the Wii U tablet for Smash since the system only supports 1-2 and it won't work based on the sliders and button placement.

I literally have to repeat this over and over.
Look at the following link. I did set up a control scheme that is Wii U controller friendly.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12837738&postcount=381

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Look at the following link. I did set up a control scheme that is Wii U controller friendly.

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12837738&postcount=381
I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.

I held and played with the controller. Make all the button layouts you want, but the controller simply doesn't work for Smash. Button placement is awkward and the circle pads are too imprecise - I doubt you'll be able to do tilts with it at all.

@Mahvel discussion: Well yeah that complexity opens up more moveset options and branches, but Smash was made to be against that pretty much.

Talking about third party characters, I like having them, but we don't need so many. It sort of loses that appeal and it gives the third parties way much more roster influence than they need. Either it's a game with guest characters or its a Vs. game, not in the middle.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I held and played with the controller. Make all the button layouts you want, but the controller simply doesn't work for Smash. Button placement is awkward and the circle pads are too imprecise - I doubt you'll be able to do tilts with it at all.
Only one man's opinion, which is why I mentioned about using the Control Pad (D-Pad) to move your character.

I'm not a California resident, so I couldn't try out that new controller, even if I wanted to.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

@Mahvel discussion: Well yeah that complexity opens up more moveset options and branches, but Smash was made to be against that pretty much.

Talking about third party characters, I like having them, but we don't need so many. It sort of loses that appeal and it gives the third parties way much more roster influence than they need. Either it's a game with guest characters or its a Vs. game, not in the middle.
How about this idea for the Wii U? Use the second circle pad exclusively for smash attacks while the main circle pad is only for movement and tilts. With the GC controller you could use the C-stick for smash attacks. Same concept except less optional.

:phone:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
How about this idea for the Wii U? Use the second circle pad exclusively for smash attacks while the main circle pad is only for movement and tilts. With the GC controller you could use the C-stick for smash attacks. Same concept except less optional.

You are aware that the Wii U is not GCN compatible, right?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Interesting, so you're telling me you went to e3 and played with control, am I right, what do you suggest, a double shoulder Classic controller?

Honestly I can only see myself using the classic controller, a newer version of the gamecube controller would be nice, Wii mote? No way am I ever using that for smash, IMO it's horrible.

Impmacaque

Smash Journeyman

A little observation I'd like to make: As we all know, the WiiU is not backwards compatible at all with the Gamecube. This is relevant because it is highly likely that the WiiU ditched backwards compatibility in favor of releasing downloadable Gamecube titles over the Nintendo Store. If this is their course of action (which many are speculating it will be), they will need a controller which is able to play those Gamecube games (WiiU pad won't qualify because many GC titles are multiplayer).

At the very least, we're gonna have to deal with the Wii Classic Controller. At best, we have an updated GC-type controller released for compatibility with downloadable GC titles, or perhaps a USB peripheral to allow us to use GC controllers.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Nobody has really commented on my oft-stated prediction that we will be able to put in our Miis as a fighter so far, and I'm wondering if anybody else shares my opinion that it seems very likely, since it is just so obvious-seeming to me.

UberMario

Smash Master
I'd rather not see that happen. They've been invading several series and it's getting tiring to see them.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Nobody has really commented on my oft-stated prediction that we will be able to put in our Miis as a fighter so far, and I'm wondering if anybody else shares my opinion that it seems very likely, since it is just so obvious-seeming to me.
Well, Sakurai would like to at least try customizeable characters. So there is a chance.

Also, it seems the connection issue stopped. Woot woot.

Thino

Smash Master
maybe because you missed it , I dont blame you because there are many pages , but we had an EXTENSIVE discussion as to why Mii could or couldnt be in SSB4

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'd rather not see that happen, they've been invading several series and it's getting tiring to see them.
On the other hand, isn't SSB sort of the EXACT place that a Mii should be "invading"? I mean, no matter what you think of them (I for one find some mildly annoying but also somewhat endearing), you have to admit they are the biggest "character" created by Nintendo in this past generation.

One neat possibility I was thinking for Miis (if they don't do a moveset based on the various games they've shown up in) is maybe have them be a "create a character", at least as far as the special moves. I could very easily seeing you making a Mii on 3DS, gaining experience/moves/whatever on 3DS, then transferring your full Mii with it's own special "feel" to WiiU.

Thino

Smash Master
I'd rather not see that happen. They've been invading several series and it's getting tiring to see them.
and it seems that they will do even more , look at this list of domains registered by Nintendo and that ALL redirect to Nintendo.com

The list of domains:
- kirbywii.com
- mariobrosu.com
- newsupermariobrosmii.com
- newsupermariobrosu.com
- rhythmheavenwii.com
- rhythmparadisewii.com
- supermariobrosmii.com
- supermariobrosu.com
- wii-u.com
- wii-u.net
- wiibalanceboardu.com
- wiifitu.com
- wiimusicu.com
- wiipartyu.com
- wiiplayu.com
- wiispeaku.com
- wiisportsu.com
- wiiubalanceboard.com
- wiiufit.com
- wiiumusic.com
- wiiuni.com
- wiiuniverse.net
- wiiuparty.com
- wiiuplay.com
- wiiuremote.com
- wiiuremote.net
- wiiuspeak.com
- wiiusports.com
- wiiuware.com
- wiiuwheel.com
- wiiuzapper.com
- wiiwareu.com
- wiiwheelu.com

source : http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/26822
that's one bright Mii future if you ask me

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Frankly the only new 3rd party characters I could see in are Megaman and Ryu. That's more than enough. And maybe Knuckles, who would probably fit in pretty well.

The Mii would be kinda cool. I mean, I guess you could just use a characters moveset with the Mii's model, with no changes save aesthetically. That way imbalanced "create a characters" wouldn't exist. =D

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
maybe because you missed it , I dont blame you because there are many pages , but we had an EXTENSIVE discussion as to why Mii could or couldnt be in SSB4

Oh, my bad. I'm sure we'll end up discussing it 50 more times before SSB4 is unveiled.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Interesting, so you're telling me you went to e3 and played with control, am I right, what do you suggest, a double shoulder Classic controller?

Honestly I can only see myself using the classic controller, a newer version of the gamecube controller would be nice, Wii mote? No way am I ever using that for smash, IMO it's horrible.

Yes. I suggest the only viable option we have, save for the Wii Remote and Remote + Nunchuk options. The Classic Controller is the best bet as of right now. The Tablet is certainly not fit for Smash, as well as quite a number of other games.

Again, regardless of how you do the layout, the quality of the controller and how it is made just doesn't work. I handled it and played with it myself.

OmegaXXII

Frankly the only new 3rd party characters I could see in are Megaman and Ryu. That's more than enough. And maybe Knuckles, who would probably fit in pretty well.
Yea man Sakurai pretty much acknowledges Capcom's existence in Smash so yea, Ryu or Rockman I definetly candidates.

Knuckles..eh, he's cool and all but honestly, you have to think about it, with the limited 3rd party roster for Smash, if anyonefrom the Sonic series makes it, it's definetly Sonic, unless they scrap Snake which I doubt, I can only see him as an Assust Trophy.

If DLC works for Nintendo and is actually offered then that's another story...

D

Deleted member

Glad someone suggested Balloon Fighter. He would be perfect as Assist Trophy.

Does anyone want Sukapod as Assist Trophy? He's a fighter so if Sakurai won't consider him as playable, at least give him an Assist Trophy appearance.

I'm also going to publish a blog in regards to why we should support different characters rosters for the Wii-U and 3DS version. But it seems as there's error on the top of everytime I try to publish this blog, so not sure when I can get it in, but I hope it's today or tomorrow as I would really like to talk about this.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Agree that the Wii U controller (although I haven't seen it in "real life" yet) is going to be awkward at best for SSB4.

Pickle

Smash Apprentice
Rutherford, New Jersey (Blowin' **** Up!)
Agree that the Wii U controller (although I haven't seen it in "real life" yet) is going to be awkward at best for SSB4.
The controller itself is a great idea for the Wii franchise, but its to big and the buttons are odly placed for any real competive play. There may be a new controller make up, like they did with Wii and the classic controller

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
That new sword wielding guy in Kid Icarus uprising looks out of place. The game is suppose to be Japanese gaming interpretation of greek theme.

That guy reeks of generic JRPG-ness

OmegaXXII

Yes. I suggest the only viable option we have, save for the Wii Remote and Remote + Nunchuk options. The Classic Controller is the best bet as of right now. The Tablet is certainly not fit for Smash, as well as quite a number of other games.

Again, regardless of how you do the layout, the quality of the controller and how it is made just doesn't work. I handled it and played with it myself.
so our only hopes are riding on a Gamecube remake via USB, otherwise fanboys everywhere are going to have to relearn "the movements" again.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
That new sword wielding guy in Kid Icarus uprising looks out of place. The game is suppose to be Japanese gaming interpretation of greek theme.

That guy reeks of generic JRPG-ness
When have you ever known the Japanese to NOT Japanify everything they touch?

*COUGH*KINGDOMHEARTS2*COUGH*

D

Deleted member

On the subject of controller, how do you expect the touchscreen aspects to be utilized? I think it'll be used to display the characters fighting, the amount of KOs they've given and received, and their overall scores. With lives, it gives you the amount of lives they have left, in Bonus, how much you have so far, and Coin's, how much you have now. Nothing fancy needed.
KumaOso said:
What would be really super special awesome is if you could upload the matches straight to Youtube like you can with the upcoming 3rd Strike online. No need for capturing, just a direct upload with all the quality present.
I would love to see this. I was really disappointed to find out in GT5 that you couldn't do direct uploads. I would have loved to be able to upload GT5 videos onto my channel and give it some use other then extending video game music.

UberMario

Smash Master
Just because it has a touchscreen does not mean that it has to be used. (See the DS and 3DS)

If it is used, though, I'd assume that it'd hold status info and possibly a fixed camera location that shows the entire level. I even doubt that it would do the former because non-tablet users would need to know their stocks and percentages, too.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I would love to see this. I was really disappointed to find out in GT5 that you couldn't do direct uploads. I would have loved to be able to upload GT5 videos onto my channel and give it some use other then extending video game music.

Also, on the subject of controller, how do you expect the touchscreen aspects to be utilized? I think it'll be used to display the characters fighting, the amount of KOs they've given and received, and their overall scores. With lives, it gives you the amount of lives they have left, in Bonus, how much you have so far, and Coin's, how much you have now. Nothing fancy needed.
Ooh, it would be interesting if they had special buttons on the screen for programmable macros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom