• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What does this mean? That Sakurai is looking forward to it and is likely to have some representation concerning Dragon Quest X in Smash 4?

:phone:
No, it just means he thinks it's good to shake up a franchise from the expected status quo of the fans.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm thinking RPG elements and customizable characters

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
What do you mean? Like the powerup in Adventure right? With stats like strength, agility and such?

I was thinking something like that... Oh yeah! Do you guys think Lucas will stick around or will he get the boot honestly I hope he stays I think he's fun to play with just for fun. Oh and something else I had a dream I got Smash4 last night and Megaman and Bomberman were the 3rd party

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
To be honest, I think Sakurai is willing to do it in multiplayer as well as single player

It wouldn't be against the status quo if it was in single player only, since no one liked SSE

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
My guess is that the 3DS version will be more single player oriented while the Wii-U version will focus on both, but more on multi-player aspects, the 3DS however should still have online battles and such.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Alright guys I'm out for today... I'll probably be back next summer or so( wait who am I kidding I'll probably still drop back everyday)

Anyway anyone think playing with the Wii Umote will be difficult?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I unlocked all the characters the cheap way in Brawl in story mode. In Melee it took me like a year hopefully Smash4 is like that

There's no way you could take THAT long to unlock everyone in Melee. Not if you play the game frequently.

I only play in for about 2 hours every other day, it's kinda ridiculous that I had to play online alot just to unlock some characters like Toadette, but it felt rewarding, that's how Smash should be, it should be difficult to acquire new content in order to enjoy the most out of it and feel satisfied about it.

But like I said before, 5000+ matches to unlock everyone is way too ridiculous.

In Melee, just play 50 matches to get Jigglypuff. In Mario Kart Wii, 450 races have to be done to unlock Diddy Kong; in Melee, you'd have at least 5 characters unlocked by that time.

However, for a number such as 2400, it may seem long, but it's sensible if there are 24 unlockable fighters.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Hey I was only like 7 or 8 at the time that's probably why it took me so long :p

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Completely agreed. There was a post by one obscure user on this thread that was completely ignored, but the guy suggested interesting ways of unlocking characters along the lines of how you unlocked Luigi in Melee.

For example, to unlock Yoshi as an ally in Adventure Mode, you would have to find a hidden Yoshi egg in one of the Adventure Mode stages and return it to it's nest, where it will crack open and a Yoshi will pop out, thanking you and becoming a new ally on your team.

Or for another example, you had to KO Mario in Vs. mode a certain number of times before Wario jumps up from the bottom of the stage, chuckles at the defeat of his old enemy, and then faces the player. Obviously, defeating him unlocks him.

They were just a couple of examples, but they showed that unlocking a character doesn't have to be achieved in some boring "complete Classic mode with this number of characters on hard difficulty" way.

In terms of the difficulty of unlocking characters, what first needs to be done is to make Adventure Mode not a cheap stroll to unlock all the characters in the game. Then we can ***** how difficult it should be to unlock characters. A medium between Melee and Brawl for unlocking characters is perfect.
I totally agree. I love that Yoshi idea, unlocking characters should definitely relate at least somewhat to the hidden character itself.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
If Falco returns, do you think we'll have to beat 100-man match to unlock him again? That'll be the 3rd time, you know...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oh man... I really hope Samus gets a BUFF, because you just KNOW to unlock Ridley it's going to be something like "Beat Classic on INTENSE 10 times with Samus - no continues and eat some dirt to while you're at it."

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
but i like samus from brawl for one reason she turns to zero suit samus IT SO COOL XD but she cool in melee and u can do super wavedash wit samus
Samus herself was horribly nerfed. She was my secondary in Melee (To the vastly superior sheik) and I didn't even bother trying to get cool with how bad she is in Brawl.

I had no interest in Zero Suit Samus

Life

Smash Hero
New topic.

We get previous installments' stages every game. Why not extend the concept to characters? While regular characters are unlocked via Adventure Mode, "Retro" characters are unlocked through more arcane methods (getting 10 kills in Cruel mode gets you Retro MK, 100-man gets Retro Falco, getting all the regular characters unlocks Retro Mario, playing 20 hours of versus gets Retro Mewtwo, getting all the legendaries in Pokeballs gets Retro Pikachu, beating Classic very quickly gets Retro Falcon, that sort of thing). Retro characters are identical in almost every way to the characters in their respective original games, including physics--meaning that Retro Falco is exactly like Melee Falco, Retro Pikachu is 64 Pikachu, Retro Peach and Falcon are their Melee incarnations, etc. (Some characters might get Melee/Brawl versions instead of 64/Melee versions, respectively--GnW would probably be the Brawl version, Samus might get her Melee version, possibly Melee Fox, Jiggs)

Not all characters would get retro versions, as that would take up too much memory. (DLC?) Series fan-favorites (read: old high-tiers) and particularly important historical characters (GnW, Mario) would make the cut first. Likewise, a couple changes would be totally necessary--64 characters would gain wallteching and Melee's lag canceling, and hitstun would still be uniform across the roster. Details, details.

So you're wondering if Melee Falcon could take Brawl MK? Or how the new game-breakers stack up to the old favorites?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Where the hell is the page? Do you know Omega?

I'm getting irritated cuz I can't seem to find it.

Sabyr

Smash Cadet
Would just like to say I agree with you all on the whole 'character unlocking' concepts. Something between Melee and Brawl in difficulty would be ideal.

For example, I played Melee like a madwoman and I had no idea Game and Watch was in that game until about two years ago (this due to the fact that I deleted all the data every few months like the stupid kid that I was but still).

In Brawl the only time I ever saw the challenger approaching! screen was with Ness, who I believe took a whopping 10 versus matches to unlock? Everyone else was unlocked through SSE, in the span of two days.

Also loving the special unlock ideas, particularly the Yoshi example. That would be so boss. Maybe this should go on to stages too; an idea, there's a portion of SSB4's Adventure Mode that's reminiscent of Donkey Kong, with barrels falling down platforms and such. Beating this level in a fast enough time (not some unthinkable, pro speed-run speed, but y'know, reasonably fast) with Mario results in the unlock of 75m. Or something. Now that I think about it, that's a really lame example, but...;;

Now I'll shut up and go back to lurking. Keep those gears turning people, your thoughts amaze me~.

army man

Smash Ace
Would just like to say I agree with you all on the whole 'character unlocking' concepts. Something between Melee and Brawl in difficulty would be ideal.

For example, I played Melee like a madwoman and I had no idea Game and Watch was in that game until about two years ago (this due to the fact that I deleted all the data every few months like the stupid kid that I was but still).

In Brawl the only time I ever saw the challenger approaching! screen was with Ness, who I believe took a whopping 10 versus matches to unlock? Everyone else was unlocked through SSE, in the span of two days.

Also loving the special unlock ideas, particularly the Yoshi example. That would be so boss. Maybe this should go on to stages too; an idea, there's a portion of SSB4's Adventure Mode that's reminiscent of Donkey Kong, with barrels falling down platforms and such. Beating this level in a fast enough time (not some unthinkable, pro speed-run speed, but y'know, reasonably fast) with Mario results in the unlock of 75m. Or something. Now that I think about it, that's a really lame example, but...;;

Now I'll shut up and go back to lurking. Keep those gears turning people, your thoughts amaze me~.

uhhh.... your thoughts amaze me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom