• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Agreed, although I think I'd like it to be a mix. Brawl was too easy, Melee was too hard, both were somewhat annoying.
In the end though, Melee did better with its VS Mode unlock methods. If it's reused, the setup should be like...

1: 50
2: 100
3: 200
4: 300
5: 400
6: 500
7: 600
8: 700
9: 800
10: 900
11: 1000
12: 1100
13: 1200
14: 1300
15: 1400
16: 1500
17: 1600
18: 1700
19: 1800
20: 1900
21: 2000
22: 2100
23: 2200
24: 2400

@---: A mix sounds fine. I'd like for unlocking characters to take at least two weeks to do so.
This also depends on how you unlock the fighters as well. Adventure Mode is a quick way to do the task, while VS Mode would be the long way.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
A balance of Melee and Brawl would be nice.

When Brawl came out, I unlocked everything in a day (I didn't sleep that night lol), but with Melee the 1st time around it took me a month.

In Brawl it was too easy, just play SSE or play about 10 matches in multiplayer, beat 2-3 event matches, etc.

In Melee, it was 20 hrs of Multiplayer, 100 matches, beat 15 minute Melee, beat every event match (must unlock all character before hand), etc.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think I prefer the hard method. You have no idea how rewarding it was to unlock Dry Bowser.

Dry Bowser was also the character I wanted to use though. Unlocking someone you don't care about isn't really that rewarding.

Make all the good characters unlockable

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think I prefer the hard method. You have no idea how rewarding it was to unlock Dry Bowser.

Dry Bowser was also the character I wanted to use though. Unlocking someone you don't care about isn't really that rewarding.

Mario Kart Wii is rather ridiculous with the unlock methods involving race amounts though. Over 5000 races to unlock everything, are you kidding me?!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Mario Kart Wii is rather ridiculous with the unlock methods involving race amounts though. Over 5000 races to unlock everything, are you kidding me?!
Haha, I've had it for months now and I still haven't gotten every characters, too many requirements, Smash should be like that, really really difficult.

:phone:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
If we get Victini instead of Zoroark they really should bring back Mewtwo...since he's highly demanded or keep Lucario since he's my Brawl main. Anyone here think Luigi should use his Poltergust 5000 in this game?

edit: crap I have school tomorrow

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I unlocked every character the first week I had it, but I'm just REALLY good

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Once again, there's plenty of room in the roster for both Lucario and Mewtwo.

@Omega
BTW, how are those roster images going?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I unlocked all the characters the cheap way in Brawl in story mode. In Melee it took me like a year hopefully Smash4 is like that

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What, in Mario Kart Wii? I bet you must have played it nonstop, I still haven't gotten 3 stars. :urg:

@Swayne: Im almost done, been busy lol..

I was going to school full time back than, and could only play it certain hours in the day so I don't remember how many hours in the day I played

OmegaXXII

I was going to school full time back than, and could only play it certain hours in the day so I don't remember how many hours in the day I played
I only play in for about 2 hours every other day, it's kinda ridiculous that I had to play online alot just to unlock some characters like Toadette, but it felt rewarding, that's how Smash should be, it should be difficult to acquire new content in order to enjoy the most out of it and feel satisfied about it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I only play in for about 2 hours every other day, it's kinda ridiculous that I had to play online alot just to unlock some characters like Toadette, but it felt rewarding, that's how Smash should be, it should be difficult to acquire new content in order to enjoy the most out of it and feel satisfied about it.

Eh, I never played online to unlock them.

Let me look up the unlocking process, because I'm sure I played solo play and got everyone

Edit: Yep I was right. You can get them all without having to go online

• Baby Daisy - Earn at least a one star ranking in each 50cc Wii Grand Prix cup races
  • Baby Luigi - Unlock eight Expert Staff ghost data in Time Trial mode
  • Birdo - Defeat 250 people in online racing, or play Time Trial mode on sixteen different courses
  • Bowser Jr. - Earn at least a one star ranking in each 100cc Retro Grand Prix cup races
  • Daisy - Win the 150cc Special Cup
  • Diddy Kong - Win the 50cc Lightning Cup
  • Dry Bones - Win the 100cc Leaf Cup
  • Dry Bowser - Earn at least a one star ranking in each 150cc Wii Grand Prix cups
  • Funky Kong - Unlock four Expert Staff ghost data in Time Trial mode
  • King Boo - Win the 50cc Star Cup
  • Mii (Outfit A) - To play as the Mii associated with your profile, win the 100cc Special Cup
  • Mii (Outfit B) - To play as the Mii associated with your profile in a different outfit, play through and complete all thirty-two time trials
  • Rosalina - Have a Super Mario Galaxy save on your Wii and race 50 times OR get 1 star in the 8 Mirror Mode Cups
  • Toadette - Play Time Trial Mode on all thirty-two courses

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
That's the fun way.

"You will not ruin this for me TOAD!!!" during 150cc

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We were attempting to compare the difficulty of unlocking characters with that of Brawl, and discussing how harder to unlock characters would be more rewarding in the smash franchise.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I don't have a problem with that.
Just most of what I was seeing was "It took me x-amount of time to unlock ____" etc.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'd appreciate it if any Mario Kart Wii talk could please be moved to the Events Thread rather than here.
...can't be serious.

A balance of Melee and Brawl would be nice.

When Brawl came out, I unlocked everything in a day (I didn't sleep that night lol), but with Melee the 1st time around it took me a month.

In Brawl it was too easy, just play SSE or play about 10 matches in multiplayer, beat 2-3 event matches, etc.

In Melee, it was 20 hrs of Multiplayer, 100 matches, beat 15 minute Melee, beat every event match (must unlock all character before hand), etc.
These quotes are both on the same page and could have easily given away the topic at hand.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Just most of what I was seeing was "It took me x-amount of time to unlock ____" etc.
And like I said, I don't have a problem if you are actually comparing the difficulties of unlocking characters in Mario Kart Wii to the difficulty of unlocking characters in Smash. There were posts basically saying "It took me 2 weeks to unlock everything in MKW" and "Here's a list of how to unlock everything in MKW" etc.

OmegaXXII

We're actually discussing methods of unlocking content and we are merely using MKW as an example, it's not like we're spamming the thread with FC's and stuff. :confused:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yeah dog. I got it completely. Aiyyo get on Facebook. Lol

Oh yeah if you guys asked me I would rather have something of melee's caliber of unlocking things like how to unlock Luigi.

@Gat: It was a simple read of a page to tell that...

OmegaXXII

Yea, it was unique how Luigi was unlocked, it took a very special process to do so, at least if you didn't play a bunch of vs. battles, I also enjoyed how difficult it was to unlock Mewtwo, you literally had to either play for 20 hours in vs. Or play like 500+ matches, that's how I feel Smash 4 should be in regards to unlocking content, it should be unique, difficult but yet rewarding, also a cutscene would be nice when unlocking a character, y'know to make it seem epic and rewarding at the same time.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
How about this

I see that you are comparing the manner of which unlockables are obtained, however try to keep the focus of this discussion Smash U oriented. Here is a link if you are looking to discuss anything Mario Kart Wii related

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yea, it was unique how Luigi was unlocked, it took a very special process to do so, at least if you didn't play a bunch of vs. battles, I also enjoyed how difficult it was to unlock Mewtwo, you literally had to either play for 20 hours in vs. Or play like 500+ matches, that's how I feel Smash 4 should be in regards to unlocking content, it should be unique, difficult but yet rewarding, also a cutscene would be nice when unlocking a character, y'know to make it seem epic and rewarding at the same time.

I left my Gamecube on over night in a vs battle for Mewtwo

Edit: Wait, I know what was missing from Brawl

"A new challenger approaches!"

Having to BEAT the character to unlock them.

I played through SSE so maybe the alternate way was different, but the chance to NOT unlock them after completing the challenge was always a bit more rewarding

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
One thing that has always bothered me is how I managed to unlock all characters in less than a week in Brawl whereas it took me a month in Melee. The difficulty needs to be ramp up for sure. And yeah I meant majora_787.

Anyway, people might want to look at this Pokemon Center Store logo. Interesting find.
Okay, so because Victini is on the Pokemon Center Store logo, it's an interesting find... but if Meowth is on the Pokemon Center Store logo, nobody notices?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471

I feel the same about it, but for Mewtwo...

I left my Gamecube on over night in a vs battle for Mewtwo
...I did this

How about this
Mod powers this guy.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I guess what that leads us to is how things are unlocked then...

BRoom members, do what progress have we made on Event Match ideas?

OmegaXXII

I guess what that leads us to is how things are unlocked then...

BRoom members, do what progress have we made on Event Match ideas?
Well, not much but I loved the way FD was unlocked as well, basically unlock all characters, complete every event, it feels rewarding doing so, as for evens ideas well....

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
That's back when Final Destination was a privilege, not a Right.

Tell me why Brawl Event matches didn't as feel as inspired as Melee ones? I hated how cliche they were.

That Dr Mario event match was so memorable.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
[dragon quest x is going to have a major online feature, and some fans of the series are being pretty vocal about how they don't like the direction. For whatever reason, a twitter follower of masahiro sakurai asked for the dev's opinion on dragon quest x. Here's what sakurai had to say.

"after hearing that it's online, the number of people who say the classic style dragon quest would be better is probably not low. However, in a game industry where evolution and sudden changes are tolerated, even considered expected, just treading the same path would be be troubling. It's being made by people who've made sound titles in the past, so i'm greatly looking forward to it."

i wonder if sakurai is going to take this 'sudden change' approach with smash bros. On wii u and 3ds!

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
But, anyways, one thing I'd definitely try is beating Classic with at least 10 characters. That's how you unlocked Young Link in Melee (as long as you beat it with an LoZ character) and Sonic in Brawl, I think they'll recycle that for Smash 4...

There really should be small cutscenes before fighting each hidden character, too. That'd be just epic.

It needs really fun, unique ways to unlock characters. Unlocking characters should feel fun and rewarding, not second nature like in Brawl. Maybe it could take a page from Mortal Kombat and have the hidden character appear very briefly give clues on how to unlock it before the round startes. I dunno, what are your thoughts?
Completely agreed. There was a post by one obscure user on this thread that was completely ignored, but the guy suggested interesting ways of unlocking characters along the lines of how you unlocked Luigi in Melee.

For example, to unlock Yoshi as an ally in Adventure Mode, you would have to find a hidden Yoshi egg in one of the Adventure Mode stages and return it to it's nest, where it will crack open and a Yoshi will pop out, thanking you and becoming a new ally on your team.

Or for another example, you had to KO Mario in Vs. mode a certain number of times before Wario jumps up from the bottom of the stage, chuckles at the defeat of his old enemy, and then faces the player. Obviously, defeating him unlocks him.

They were just a couple of examples, but they showed that unlocking a character doesn't have to be achieved in some boring "complete Classic mode with this number of characters on hard difficulty" way.

In terms of the difficulty of unlocking characters, what first needs to be done is to make Adventure Mode not a cheap stroll to unlock all the characters in the game. Then we can ***** how difficult it should be to unlock characters. A medium between Melee and Brawl for unlocking characters is perfect.

OmegaXXII

Trophy event matches, bring them back.

While doing that, make trophies stages for vs modes.
I agree with this, event stages such as the Goomba and Majora's Mask were all good stages to play in, but I must ask; we're any of the Brawl event stages even good? Brought something unique and interesting to the table?

I haven't played them so...

@Star: what does that mean?? Relating to Dragon Quest?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I agree with this, event stages such as the Goomba and Majora's Mask were all good stages to play in, but I must ask; we're any of the Brawl event stages even good? Brought something unique and interesting to the table?

I haven't played them so...

They were decent kind of boring... I didn't beat the final event match against Mario, Snake, and Sonic

OmegaXXII

Starphoenix said:
[dragon quest x is going to have a major online feature, and some fans of the series are being pretty vocal about how they don't like the direction. For whatever reason, a twitter follower of masahiro sakurai asked for the dev's opinion on dragon quest x. Here's what sakurai had to say.

"after hearing that it's online, the number of people who say the classic style dragon quest would be better is probably not low. However, in a game industry where evolution and sudden changes are tolerated, even considered expected, just treading the same path would be be troubling. It's being made by people who've made sound titles in the past, so i'm greatly looking forward to it."

i wonder if sakurai is going to take this 'sudden change' approach with smash bros. On wii u and 3ds!
What does this mean? That Sakurai is looking forward to it and is likely to have some representation concerning Dragon Quest X in Smash 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom