• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam

Smash Hero
I'm saying that smash is smash, and other fighting games are other fighting games :/

I can also see it becoming way too good due to the existence of a vertical blast zone... it would be like MK doing Uair Uair Uair Uair nado for kills... except everyone could do it.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well, I can see a minor transition of style happening, to a certain degree of course, the thing I don't want to see happening if going to overboard with the whole mechanics thing, so much that Sakurai has to look at and study Ken's hitbox frame data, do I want it to a certain extent? Yes. Going way overboard with the whole thing? Nope.

:phone:

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
Kinda random, but I think as another little achievement to unlock, during certain settings you should be able to unlock new alt. costumes for every character. I've always liked different types instead of colour changes.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Well, you gotta think of changing it up for the sake of the game which is why I said certain mechanics aren't easily transferable to each game. I.e. If SF4 had short hops, and no height restriction was implemented, dive kick characters and those with low aerials would dominate the game without the proper changes.

In the case of high jumps in Smash, make it where those with the high jump lose access to their second jump. Guilty Gear does the same thing, yet BlazBlue keeps the second jump (third in Tao's case).

@Omega
I don't think I've seen much of people wanting Smash stuff in other fighters if that's what you're getting at.

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
Kinda random, but I think as another little achievement to unlock, during certain settings you should be able to unlock new alt. costumes for every character. I've always liked different types instead of colour changes.
Gotta love that idea, but it takes soooo much time to properly develope, and
you know Sakurai is already going to be pushed to the max on time constraints.
Still a really cool idea.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Well, color change? I believe it will not be unlockable, but yes alternate costume!:)

OmegaXXII

Well, you gotta think of changing it up for the sake of the game which is why I said certain mechanics aren't easily transferable to each game. I.e. If SF4 had short hops, and no height restriction was implemented, dive kick characters and those with low aerials would dominate the game without the proper changes.

In the case of high jumps in Smash, make it where those with the high jump lose access to their second jump. Guilty Gear does the same thing yet BlazBlue keeps the second jump (third in Tao's case).

@Omega
I don't think I've seen much of people wanting Smash stuff in other fighters if that's what you're getting at.
Actually, You have it the other way around, I was referring to Smash obtaining Street Fighter or BB and going overboard with the whole concept.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think I'm the only one that's close to that if not already there.

I'm still curious as to why Sakurai's looking at Ken's hitboxes though.

Steam

Smash Hero
I feel like if smash took in a bunch of mechanics from traditional fighters it would be in more of a joke to that community than it is now. It would be wannabe street fighter. :/

OmegaXXII

I feel like if smash took in a bunch of mechanics from traditional fighters it would be in more of a joke to that community than it is now. It would be wannabe street fighter. :/
Exactly, alot of SF fanboys are likely call it that since Smash has always been known to be well...Smash style, even if it does draw away from what is Smash I don't think it would be very wise to do so now that the Smash community is somewhat established, even if it is taken as a "joke".

All I'd like to see is a more competative approach similar to what Melee did but not stray away from what is Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I agree (Differently)

Smash is like a Vs. platform game, in spirit with Mario Bros (Or more like, in spirit of Kirby Superstar).

Converting it to more of a traditional fighter would ruin the spirit of that.

I don't see how "High Jump" would ruin that though. I don't see anything too extreme mentioned, at least on the last couple of pages

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I doubt that if Smash went a bit more towards a traditional fighter that it would change anything, you just can't win against fanboys.

Plus would we even want to attract them to Smash to begin with? After looking at a few Capcom fighter sites similar to SWF, I can say it's like Gamefaqs over there.

Either way, I stand by my opinion of SSB4 being a mix of Melee and Brawl, with no random tripping.

But as a side note, while I do prefer MM, having Ryu would be awesome as we could finally make those fanboys freak out. lol

OmegaXXII

Ryu would totally knock their socks off.

But on a serious note, Smash should be a bit more competative within it's boundries, no more than what it has to, I believe if Megaman or Ryu were included maybe those fanboys would look at Smash differently and learn to appreciate it rather than straight up diss it.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Ryu would totally knock their socks off.

But on a serious note, Smash should be a bit more competative within it's boundries, no more than what it has to, I believe if Megaman or Ryu were included maybe those fanboys would look at Smash differently and learn to appreciate it rather than straight up diss it.

ok like the idea but there something missing:)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I agree (Differently)

Smash is like a Vs. platform game, in spirit with Mario Bros (Or more like, in spirit of Kirby Superstar).

Converting it to more of a traditional fighter would ruin the spirit of that.

I don't see how "High Jump" would ruin that though. I don't see anything too extreme mentioned, at least on the last couple of pages
As I've said in the past, you'd have to do a lot to ruin that spirit. Changing the K.O. system, including health bars, and reduced mobility alone would hurt it, and I don't want that.

OmegaXXII

Lol..like a stage for them or something? Hmm..as far as Megaman goes I'd say a stage from classic would suit him even if he does turn out in his X uniform.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Good thought. Although I doubt MM would change anything, he's not that well liked after the past few months of fanboy rage, and never really stood out in the community anyway.

I do agree, Smash should be a bit more competative within its boundries, as we don't want Smash to go through any major changes that would alter the gameplay.

Adding on, it is my own thought, but I feel that in order to achieve such a feat we don't need gameplay changes (except for tripping) but that we would need more support from Nintendo and Sakurai.

In the past Sakurai has stated he doesn't really care about competative Smash and I think that has had a large hidden effect on the seriousness of Smash. As we have failed to see patches and DLC that could help balance out, keep the game fresh and new, and give us something to look forward too.

If Sakurai and Nintendo were to show such a comitment to the players of Smash by allowing such things avalible, not only would it keep Smash within its own boundaries it would allow for Smash to be taken at more serious level in the fighting community overall.

And hopefully from what the Big N has stated about DLC and Sakurai looking at SF, we might finally see such things happen throughout the competative run of SSB4.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I remember last time I checked this forum it was kuma vs everyone on the street figher vs smash thing.

Aiyyo tupac, has any news about this game come out besides the ken pictures?

I'll be posting for a little but ill be going to the movies with my girl in about 3 hours.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
The only thing that was remotely significant was someone's compilation of Smash4 predictions. I suppose it was meant to resemble a conference discussing the pre-development agenda.

It wasn't very well written.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
The only the remotely significant was someone's compilation of Smash4 predictions. I suppose it was meant to resemble a conference discussing the pre-development agenda.

It wasn't very well written.
Could you please show me Tupac?

Sry, but Ryu just doesn't belong in SSB4. Period!
For the same reasons Snake didn't belong in Brawl.
What...are these reasons? LOL

Iblis, what is up? Remember stay on topic guys, discuss the competative aspects if you must, thanks. :)

Movies is what's up dog.

OmegaXXII

Sry, but Ryu just doesn't belong in SSB4. Period!
For the same reasons Snake didn't belong in Brawl.
And who's to say that he won't make it in if Capcom wants him, if Capcom prefers to have Ryu over Megaman, it will happen, period. Sakurai really has no control over what 3rd parties he can choose, only their participance if he allows it, ultimetly though when it comes to Capcom reps it will be Capcom's decision, if they want Ryu for Smash and Sakurai let's it be then it will happen, regardless if he "fits in" or not.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Omega, You mind reminding us of said topic? Instead of, you know.... chasing us with blanket statements?
_ _ _

Sure thing Kuririn.

I believe it was Star who originally posted this

[COLLAPSE="'Interesting' leaks"]
-Sakurai wants to focus more on characters this time, and less on the extra fluff, though he still wants there to be plenty of extra content.

-Some of the assist trophy characters will become full characters, however Lucario will not be returning. Mewtwo is also out of the question, as are the Melee clones. It's also a possibility that some characters who were starters in Brawl will become unlockable in 4, much like Falcon and Ness from Melee to Brawl.

-Main control scheme will be Classic Controller, as the Wii U is not compatible with Gamecube tech. The tablet controller won't be for controlling characters, but there will be a use for it.

-Pokemon Trainer may get new pokemon. Another Pokemon Trainer character is "Highly unlikely"

-No new characters for "heavily populated" series, more focus will be put on series that need more characters. Star Fox series is "A notable exception" to the rule for some reason...

-No more Pikmin characters. Feels that Olimar is "suitable representation"

-No more F-Zero characters, as Falcon had to have a'lot of work done to become a character, and is the "face" of F-Zero. Having other characters would detract from this...

-No more Mother characters, as the series is still mainly a Japan exclusive. Lucas and Ness represent the major titles effectively.

-No more Donkey Kong characters, though Donkey Kong assist trophies are in high demand, and at least three new assist trophies are planned, including one from Diddy Kong Racing, which will be represented better in Smash 4.

-No more characters for the Yoshi and Wario series.

-No more Zelda characters; if Tingle were to become a character(NOT confirmed), he would get his own series icon and be the sole representative.

-No more Kirby characters.

-Kid Icarus will be receiving a major overhaul. Expect at least one new character, several assist trophies, and a new stage alongside the one from Brawl.

-For Metroid, there will be one new character added. One that fans requested, and was thought to be an impossible addition, but the team have found a way to add them to the game, though it won't be a perfect transition.

-Alternate costumes for characters other than Wario are "being looked into", still nothing concrete.

-No more Fire Emblem characters. Marth represents the old, while Ike represents the new. Fire Emblem is still going to recieve extra attention to other details however, including at least two new assist trophies.

-If a Third Party character has appeared in Smash, they are not likely to leave. In the case of Sonic, his reception was met positively, so SEGA has decided to give the development team free liberty to add him as a playable character. There won't be more than one character per company however. For example, if Capcom allowed the team to use both Ryu and Mega Man, they could only choose one.

-In addition to new stages, there will be a selection of classic stages from all 3 previous Smash titles. One in particular from the original was "missed dearly by the fans".

-Mario will incorporate a new move from the Galaxy series, and the Galaxy series will be represented proper in Smash 4. Galaxy wasen't represented in Brawl due to not having substantial content to work with, but now there is "plenty of content to derive from the Galaxy series, especially with two distinct titles".

Note that is is all tentaive and is subject to change. The game is not in actual development, these are merely ideas discussed by a board of nintendo employees and member of the development team. Kid Icarus is near completion and development will begin a few months after the release.
[/COLLAPSE]

Sakurai really has no control over what 3rd parties he can choose
That's... not entirely true as he could have refused to 'choose' Snake.

OmegaXXII

That's... not entirely true as he could have refused to 'choose' Snake.
NO!

I disagree, Snake was added because of his relation with Hideo Kojima, Kojima was only interested in having Snake for Smash since it's Melee days, Sakurai of course knew this and decided to let him in, Sakurai can't choose Simon Belmont or another Konami rep if Kojima was only interested in having Snake.

Basically what I'm trying to say is is that both parties have to agree upon it, not just one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just a thought...Other than obvious trolls and such, which characters do you think have little to no opposition to being in SSB4? In other words, not including unintelligent reasons for exclusion (hopefully you guys get what I mean, looking at certain characters...)

I'd say Little Mac, Ridley, and K. Rool.

As a note, people not mentioning them lately doesn't really contribute to this, just when they ARE talked about, who get's no opposition?

Wow I hope that made sense...

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Basically what I'm trying to say is is that both parties have to agree upon it, not just one.
I understand. And that's really all that was necessary to mention.
Its not so much that you disagree, moreso that you have another/different understanding.

I do believe that there are several characters that he rejected based on certain criteria of their design. Snake isn't an exception, at least not based on deals happening under the table.

Wow I hope that made sense...
It does. Something opposed to what is currently popular, instead, popular with lasting appeal.

I'd say that Issac, from Golden Sun, has a reasonable chance of having a spot.

OmegaXXII

I understand. And that's really all that was needed to tell. Its not so much that you disagree, moreso that you have another/different understanding.

I do believe that there are several characters that he rejected based on certain criteria of their design. Snake isn't an exception, at least not based on deals happening under the table.
Well, I guess we just misunderstood each other, but I still don't get why you say Sakurai would reject Snake, if it was for the fact that he's a M rated character then I believe he wouldn't have gotten in at all, I may be misintrepeting so please enlighten me. :)

I clearly understand that some characters aren't "fit" for Smash, but Snake in this case was.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Now I confused myself...I'll retry just in case. Which potential newcomers get little or no opposition when suggested, apart from trolls. Not being mentioned =/= opposed.

Hope I cleared it up. I think.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Well, I guess we just misunderstood each other, I may be misintrepeting so please enlighten me. :)
Try not to look too deeply into other peoples statements, as you might be saying something that is off the mark.

From what I mentioned, there's no credible source discussing whether Snake had a chance at being rejected. However ultimately, if he chose to, he could have rejected Kojima's request for Snake as he saw fit. Much with any other character.
_ _ _

Opossum, are you alright buddy? You had it right the first time.

OmegaXXII

Well, it's pretty obvious that Sakurai can reject any character he doesn't want or things they don't seem "fit" for Smash Bros, what I was trying to get at his that Sakurai can't choose a 3rd party character of his liking since it needs to approval of the company involved with issuing it's license, I believe this is why Sonic got in, sure demand and popularity played a role but developers interest was key for his inclusion as well.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
That's why I recommended that you don't look too deeply so you don't go too far without needing to.

We should conclude this discussion at
_ _ _

My only stance on this Opossum, is that extras should NOT be forbidden fruit. Nothing hinting characters that should be playable. Such as putting Megaman in the chronicle, but not having him as a fighter.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Eh, my brain's been a bit off since the stress of school and whatnot...

But anyway, to get on a different discussion, which games from Nintendo do you guys think deserve no representation AT ALL in SSB4, be it character, stage, trophy, sticker, any sort of reference?

Personally, I can't think of one yet myself...

OmegaXXII

That's why I recommended that you don't look too deeply so you don't go too far without needing to.

We should conclude this discussion at
Okay, we'll leave it at that, just as long as we're on the same page here compadre.

So, I was looking at Kuma's ideas, what kind of style would you like the next sequel to include? Like the balancing, air dynamics? Gravity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom