• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Lol OMEGA Ridley.

Oh and Space Pirates Raid for the final smash instead.
That's why I like the name so much. ;)

@Oasis: Really, there are other forms as well? I've heard of a Hyper Ridley before, is that one of his forms as well?

Edit: Kuma the wise knows what he's saying and I agree.
:phone:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm probably one of the few people that didn't have a problem with Samus. How she was in Other M wasn't too far from my interpretation of Samus. And the whole Ridley scene made a whole lot of sense to me.

Yeah. It's a lot to ask---

Actually no it isn't. Most of the time, I play the game for the gameplay.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
People need to stop hating on this game so much.

It's far from perfect as the story was lacking in good execution in some areas, but the gameplay sets up a nice base for future console Metroid games.
The gameplay didn't really make a good impression on me. I know a lot of people hate it but trust me, I'm no bandwagon jumper. I genuinely do not like that game.

It just didn't feel like a Metroid game, if you ask me. The level designs weren't good, the character designs were off (mostly Samus and Ridley), the level of polish wasn't there, and I won't even go why I hate the story as this is not the place for that. It just felt like something was missing from that game. The gameplay itself isn't bad and has a lot of potential (which is why I don't hate it), but it wasn't executed good, IMO. It just wasn't a risk that paid off this time around.

The gameplay didn't really make a good impression on me. I know a lot of people hate it but trust me, I'm no bandwagon jumper. I genuinely do not like that game.

It just didn't feel like a Metroid game, if you ask me. The level designs weren't good, the character designs were off (mostly Samus and Ridley), the level of polish wasn't there, and I won't even go why I hate the story as this is not the place for that. It just felt like something was missing from that game. The gameplay itself isn't bad and has a lot of potential (which is why I don't hate it), but it wasn't executed good, IMO. It just wasn't a risk that paid off this time around.

So you didn't like the auto aiming? You want hard manual aiming in a 3D environment?

You want it to be another 2D metroid game again (Nothing against that though but PLEASE put it on the DS and 3DS instead)? It didn't feel like a metroid game. That's correct but as a normal game, it's a good game. Just not as strong

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
So, what would you people say was the best Metroid game in the series?

Most people will tell you Super Metroid, which I agree is a kickass game, but I personally feel Metroid Prime was the best because it got me into the series. Amazing music, atmosphere graphics for it's time, innovative gameplay, large replayability; it was for Metroid what Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time were for Mario and Zelda...

OmegaXXII

Super Metroid? Looks interesting, though I wouldn't mind the Prime Series since it had a bunch of good review and it has Dark Samus as well.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Mechanics wise, I'll admit that the game was a bit shallow due to the limited control scheme. Sense step was just simply broken as there was no cost to it. Then switching to FPS mode was unintuitive and took too long. Still, it serves as a good base for future games if it's used right.

And how was Samus' design off? I thought it was fine, and there is a thing called design evolution. I can understand the Ridley one as they made him more muscular instead of that skinny look (YMMV).

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
And how was Samus' design off? I thought it was fine, and there is a thing called design evolution.
Her suit just looked too bright, IMO. I know that might sound trivial, but it's kind of distracting for me in the third-person gameplay...

The Arm Cannon looked bulky, too.

OmegaXXII

Change is good though, you need to get over it, it's just appearance anyway, it's not like it's look is even going to change her on the tier list or the way she plays, why such a big deal, it's all cosmetic anyway lol..

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Really, I liked the Other M look. She doesn't have that bizarre bulge like she does in Smash, and I think the arm cannon looks streamlined. In terms of bulkiness, Smash > Prime > Other M

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Yes.

And I agree with Kuma. Ignore Samus and ignore the story and mind the beautiful gameplay. If you can't tolerate the game then fine.
A somewhat late response, but I don't hate the game like most people do, I just wasn't pleased with it. There are very few games that I can't tolerate, in fact.

Maybe I'll get used to it after a while. It just looks a little off to me, is all.

We probably need to change the subject, though, the mods could consider us off-topic...

OmegaXXII

Well, true, so let's talk about a stage then, Norfair anyone? Brinstar Depths?

Me? I would like Brinstar or Sector Z on last time.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Ok then. Since Samus is much more faster and acrobatic in Other M, could we see changes for her and her Zero Suit form? If so, how would the two be distinguished?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Change is good though, you need to get over it, it's just appearance anyway, it's not like it's look is even going to change her on the tier list or the way she plays, why such a big deal, it's all cosmetic anyway lol..
Why make Sm4sh in HD graphics, it costs time and money and after all - it's all cosmetic anyway. :troll:

I know my complaints are trivial ones, silly. :V

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I think taking on the Other M look makes her playstyle make more sense. She's heavy but floaty, which her bulky suit makes it look like she's another Dedede (to the people who have never played as her.) Like me when I played Melee in 2002.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Ok then. Since Samus is much more faster and acrobatic in Other M, could we see changes for her and her Zero Suit form? If so, how would the two be distinguished?
I would say so at least for Regular Samus. Hmmm, good question; I dunno, doesn't Samus have worse recovery in Brawl than ZSS and her Melee self?

BTW, I don't get why she got nerfed in Brawl. She was fine the way she was, it's not like she was broken...

My change list for Samus:
-Faster charge shot
-Charge shot is now rapid fire and it acts like how it acts in Metroid prime
-Chargeable. It damages from 4 - 14%
-Homing missiles travel extremely fast. Super missiles travel slowly though
-Homing missiles have poor tracking
-Morph ball bomb is chargeable (6-25%)
-Sense move as the new dodge animation

I have no change list for Zero suit Samus

Oh and I'm done with all my movesets. Ryu (Street Fighter), Waddle Dee and Yarn Kirby. You might find some amount of laziness. Except for the Ryu moveset. That was just plain lazy

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Here are some ideas for Samus changes:
B: Works like the Metroid games now and the charge blast does less damage, but is easier to zone with.
Side B: Regular Missile is made stronger by having a fast homing speed. Holding a charge and then holding side and then releasing B gives you a Super Missile
Down B: Switches to morphball mode and has new moves in this mode.
  • B: Morph Ball Bomb - Can leave a single bomb on the ground or even in the air. You can only have up to three out at a time (like in the Prime games). This move in general works like in the Prime games.
  • Side B: Boost Ball - Rush in with this move. Goes under most projectiles. Can be used in the air as a DI read followup. Can only be used once in the air unless it connects.
  • Up B: Jump - Just a simple jump.
  • Down B: Morph out of the mode. Can be canceled into.
There are no A moves in this mode and you can only jump with Up B.

Up B: Screw Attack with no changes.

Additional Change: High Jump - Using her Space Jump, Samus' initial jump can usea high jump instead of a regular one. Like in other fighting games, she can cancel into this for nasty followups.

Overall, Samus's Power Suit Mode would be a toolbox character with good mobility so think of Ibuki or Akuma.

I'll be back with Zamus' ideas later.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I would say so at least for Regular Samus. Hmmm, good question; I dunno, doesn't Samus have worse recovery in Brawl than ZSS and her Melee self?

BTW, I don't get why she got nerfed in Brawl. She was fine the way she was, it's not like she was broken...

Samus was much better in Melee, since her n-air and Charge Shot could actually make effective KOs.

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Imagine instead of Toon Link or Young Link we got pixel link! Like the link from the older games!

I'm kidding just in case anyone thought I was serious.

OmegaXXII

Why make Sm4sh in HD graphics, it costs time and money and after all - it's all cosmetic anyway. :troll:

I know my complaints are trivial ones, silly. :V
No! It's not the same because the game is meant to be upgraded in style since it's taking advantage of it's current console, it's necessary if they want people to like it and have more sales.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smash will have to be in HD

It's one of their top selling games.

One of the big problems critics and core gamers have will the wii is the lack of HD. It's what prevented many 3rd parties from releasing games on it (As well as the motion gimmick)

Nintendo are not going to release their flagship title in anything less than HD

Steam

Smash Hero
a super jump wouldn't work in smash as anything other than an upB... otherwise you just made that character horrible by making their shorthop so high (to keep things proportional) or put a big hole in their aerial zoning game... for example ZSS's short hop height is her biggest weakness... if she didn't jump so high... she could actually use her really good aerials out of SH

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
a super jump wouldn't work in smash as anything other than an upB... otherwise you just made that character horrible by making their shorthop so high (to keep things proportional) or put a big hole in their aerial zoning game... for example ZSS's short hop height is her biggest weakness... if she didn't jump so high... she could actually use her really good aerials out of SH
Run by that me again?

A high jump is a separate jump. Even in King of Fighters, you have, short, normal, and high jumps. I think Smash can manage with that kind of thing on at least some of its characters.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
this is smash though. not KoF. or MvC. or SF. or GG. or BB. :/
And your point? I understand that a mechanic from one game isn't exactly easily transferable, but that doesn't mean you should just shoot it down without trying it out in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom