• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Well I would love for a Pokemon stage to not be a stadium... Silph co. was awesome, and there are plenty of interesting locales in the games that are better than some generic, shape-shifting stadium.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I think more stages need some sort of unique way of spawning items. Like... the great fox could fly past a supply box, which could be attacked and broken.

Man... I really like the Great Fox as a stage in general. Much better than Lylat cruise, which is essentially Battlefield that fell from a building.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Well I would love for a Pokemon stage to not be a stadium... Silph co. was awesome, and there are plenty of interesting locales in the games that are better than some generic, shape-shifting stadium.
Agreed, I don't mind a stadium stage but it seems to bland and boring, a stage like PokeFloats was more interesting indeed, maybe a stage from the newer games as well.

:phone:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I found Pokefloats to be very uninspired.... Almost lazy. No. Just plain lazy.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
How so? What I meant was that it had interaction and movement, simplistic? I guess so, I just want a stage that would incorporate Pokemon somehow like the legendaries for example.

It seemed absolutely thrown together.

"We need another Pokemon stage."

"Uhh... why don't we just make some gigantic pokemon models and have them fly around arbitrarily, with the characters standing on them? No need to actually DESIGN anything!"

"BRILLIANT!"

OmegaXXII

It seemed absolutely thrown together.

"We need another Pokemon stage."

"Uhh... why don't we just make some gigantic pokemon models and have them fly around arbitrarily, with the characters standing on them? No need to actually DESIGN anything!"

"BRILLIANT!"
Hehe, the way you said it makes them seem lazy, I hope that wasn't the case, maybe time contraints.

Anyway, if an actual stage model were to be done then it should be a big humangous place, with actual effort and of course classic music as well.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
With Brawl I had no issues with many of the stages, just a select few. Typically the Smash Bros series has done very well in terms of stage selection. The one thing I appreciate is there is always a level of simplicity to them. Most people when they devise stage concepts that have way too much happening in the course of a standard two minute match. Granted, Sakurai has always included those crazy stages every now and then, but more often than not more of the "dynamic elements" occur in the background. Which is something I try to emulate with my stage concepts.

I've come to really enjoy the idea of Tin Tower being the home stage for potential playable Legendary Pokémon. N's Castle would obviously be for the new 5th Generation character while a returning Pokémon Stadium 2 will be home for the veteran Pokémon (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pokémon Trainer).

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
Hehe, the way you said it makes them seem lazy, I hope that wasn't the case, maybe time constraints.

Anyway, if an actual stage model were to be done then it should be a big humongous place, with actual effort and of course classic music as well.
You know, for some reason, I didn't like the stages that had moving platforms (Big Blue, Poke Floats, etc.) I did at first, because it added to the challenge of surviving.

OmegaXXII

You know, for some reason, I didn't like the stages that had moving platforms (Big Blue, Poke Floats, etc.) I did at first, because it added to the challenge of surviving.
PokeFloats was good since it was something different from the rest, Brinstar depths was also good, but I hated Big Blue because it was so hard to survive.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I agree with stages being simple with aesthetic elements that add appeal to them.

A Mario Galaxy stage that doesn't need to simulate gimmicky gravity that makes the stage unplayable, but rather show the shifting gravity and traveling between galaxies in the background.

Star's Sunset Shore stage concept, with the unique glow effect that was implemented in DKCR to add a pleasing and unique visual to a simple stage.

Things like these.

OmegaXXII

I agree with stages being simple with aesthetic elements that add appeal to them.

A Mario Galaxy stage that doesn't need to simulate gimmicky gravity that makes the stage unplayable, but rather show the shifting gravity and traveling between galaxies in the background.

Star's Sunset Shore stage concept, with the unique glow effect that was implemented in DKCR to add a pleasing and unique visual to a simple stage.

Things like these.
Wouldn't it be nice if such physics like gravity were to be implemented? I think it would add another layer of strategy and fun.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Wouldn't it be nice if such physics like gravity were to be implemented? I think it would add another layer of strategy and fun.

It could, but I honestly can't think of any way that it could be implemented without being either unnecessarily complicated or hated by everyone (and certainly not viable for anything resembling competitive play).

I would much prefer a simple observatory or starship mario level that has a vibrant background. The stage can even shift in gravity by turning the background upside-down.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
No, actually, I meant stages that are always moving. Big Blue had all the F-Zero machines, Poke Floats had the different pokemon, Mushroomy Kingdom and DK's Jungle Climb were constantly moving.

Brinstar Depths, even though the platform itself moved, was overall stationary.

Stages like Mute City, Port Town, Lylat Cruise, and even Final Destination are ones I like. The environments change, but the main platform stays.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

I think those stages like that have been very hit or miss. Mushroomy Kingdom and Pokéfloats were fun, but Rumble Falls and Icicle Mountain are and were not. Which is why I enjoy Halberd so much. It is an extraordinarily dynamic stage, but very little are actually intrusive to the match. There is Delfino Plaza as well.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
No, actually, I meant stages that are always moving. Big Blue had all the F-Zero machines, Poke Floats had the different pokemon, Mushroomy Kingdom and DK's Jungle Climb were constantly moving.

Brinstar Depths, even though the platform itself moved, was overall stationary.

Stages like Mute City, Port Town, Lylat Cruise, and even Final Destination are ones I like. The environments change, but the main platform stays.
ur so right dude :)

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Well upside-down gravity physics do get complicated. For instance. You walk around a circle pressing right. You get to the bottom and you are now moving toward the left side of the screen, yet you are still holding right? What happens when you stop at the bottom. Do you press right again to continue moving... left?

I understand that in an adventure game, it's not that big of a deal because there isn't nearly as much of a consequence for moving in the wrong direction for a split second. But in a game like SSB.... it's complicated.

Also, there would be no ledge grabbing. Would there be a radius at which gravity affects players near the planets?

I think people automatically assume it would work just as easily as it is to play a Galaxy game, but people don't actually stop and think about how difficult it is to even make the Galaxy games work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom