• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
People are GOING to be rallying behind some new third party character. And I suspect it'll be Megaman, given how the gaming industry is in dismay over his being neglected by Capcom as of late. Megaman is almost on equal plane with Sonic in terms of the size of his fanbase and his relevance in gaming history. And Megaman's fanbase is a dedicated bunch. Megaman is one of the few other characters in the industry who has worldwide appeal beyond the gaming industry. He's parodied by everybody. He's an icon.
The thing to remember about Sonic is that we was demanding before they added Snake and allowed third parties. The problem, with Megaman was that he was always a fall back guy. People were also expecting more third party characters whicch didn't happen. Megaman is popular, but Sonic was far and away a bigger character.

I might add what I said from Star and I's conversation. It was pretty good (the entire thing I mean). Also, what is this awesome stage everyone is going on about.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Sakurai isn't stupid. Why remove characters when he doesn't need to and he knows it will make them upset? The characters he removed in Melee were the clones (exception of Mewtwo which neglects this). But this time around he doesn't have to or need to.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I understand that cuts are sometimes necessary, but why would you actually WANT to cut a character? Especially a character that you went through so much trouble to include in the first place for the sole purpose of pleasing fans.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Super Smash Bros is one of the very few Nintendo games where there's ANY sort of dialogue with the fanbase. At all. Sakurai values his fans and wants them to be happy. He actually went out of his way to include Sonic in the first place. That says a lot, if you ask me. My question is, why would he take them out? Is there any good reason to? >_>

I'm actually expecting there to be 1 more third party character. For a total of 3. I don't think there will be more than that, honestly. But I really expect that Sakurai will feel pressured to include one more by popular demand.
Well, fans can be upset all they want. Mewtwo got cut, and so did Roy. Even on a small scale, nothing really happened. The same would happen if Sonic got cut. True SSB players, casual and Hardcore alike, are going to stick with the series and buy the games, depsite the lack of Sonic. Which is why I don't see him leaving being all that big of a deal.

I understand that cuts are sometimes necessary, but why would you actually WANT to cut a character? Especially a character that you went through so much trouble to include in the first place for the sole purpose of pleasing fans.

It just doesn't make sense to me.
Well none of the cutting will be just to cut. If a character leaves, it's to make room for a new one. Probably one that the fans this time around are asking for. Case in point Lucario. He could be cut for Victini, or Mewtwo, or someone else. I see characters getting cut so they can be "replaced". But I don't see people just snipping Lucas off, and leaving Ness all alone. You know what I mean?

It's all done for a reason.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
am i the only one who is heartless enough to remove more than 5 characters from brawl?
Probably, yes. :p

If I had to remove any characters from Brawl, they'd be Snake, Sonic, Lucario, Lucas, Wolf, and possibly Toon Link in that order. Maybe switch out Pokemon Trainer or Jigglypuff for another Pokemon Trainer or Pokemon.

But I don't see any reason to cut any Brawl characters other than Snake, Sonic, and maybe Lucario. And even then, I'd prefer they stay.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Well, fans can be upset all they want. Mewtwo got cut, and so did Roy. Even on a small scale, nothing really happened. The same would happen if Sonic got cut. True SSB players, casual and Hardcore alike, are going to stick with the series and buy the games, depsite the lack of Sonic. Which is why I don't see him leaving being all that big of a deal.
Mewtwo and Roy weren't included for the sole purpose of pleasing fans and satisfying the hype of the popular gaming industry and worldwide fanbase. Sonic was. That's why I find it a big deal to cut Sonic. Because the circumstances surrounding his inclusion make cutting him completely counterintuitive.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Anybody who says a cut is not is a big deal is lying to them self. A cut is always a big deal to somebody, so to say it is not is trivializing that fact. A cut is never an easy decision to make and I guarantee you cutting two popular characters from both the general fan base and Smash fan base will be very difficult. There is good evidence given that Sakurai didn't even want to cut as many characters as he did. Say what you will about the man but he cares more about the fans opinions and over all satisfaction than any other director/producer I've seen in the industry.

@Smashchu: I think they are talking about my latest Stage Concept.

I never understood the people who WANT to remove characters. It's better to leave the character in the game.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I never understood the people who WANT to remove characters. It's better to leave the character in the game.
Precisely. A cut is only good if it makes way for characters that are more relevant, and if there's absolutely no way to keep them and still include those more relevant characters. But that doesn't make the cutting any less painful for the developer to make.

D

Deleted member

Shortiecanbrawl said:
Well none of the cutting will be just to cut. If a character leaves, it's to make room for a new one. Probably one that the fans this time around are asking for. Case in point Lucario. He could be cut for Victini, or Mewtwo, or someone else. I see characters getting cut so they can be "replaced". But I don't see people just snipping Lucas off, and leaving Ness all alone. You know what I mean?
I don't think many people want Lucario gone and even if they do; it's usually for Mewtwo, not a 5th gen Pokemon. Personally, if all they did was swap out Lucario for Zoroark for the Pokemon section, well, you know what I would do.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Mewtwo and Roy weren't included for the sole purpose of pleasing fans and satisfying the hype of the popular gaming industry and worldwide fanbase. Sonic was. That's why I find it a big deal to cut Sonic. Because the circumstances surrounding his inclusion make cutting him completely counterintuitive.
I think you're putting to Blue Hedgehog a pedestal and acting as if he has graced Smash with his presence only after being begged to be added by the entire world, when really, he should be treated just like every other character.

I just do not see any REAL repercussions from a character being cut. Sure, people will be sad/ticked off. . . . then what?

No one really wants to cut characters, they just feel it's a realistic situation
Which it is.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No one really wants to cut characters, they just feel it's a realistic situation

I think you're putting to Blue Hedgehog a pedestal and acting as if he has graced Smash with his presence only after being begged to be added by the entire world, when really, he should be treated just like every other character.
He may have not graced smash (In your point of view) but his inclusion still satisfied his fans just like the other characters. Except, he had a HUGE fanbase huger than any character (In terms of inclusion in smash).

That's all what matters.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
And I think you're trivializing his presence. They dedicated an entire trailer to his inclusion. It was a big deal. I think that's plain to see.

"The one whose Smash appearance has been most desired dashes in from far away at supersonic speed."

The fact of the matter is, his inclusion was more significant that the average character inclusion. Perhaps he SHOULD be treated like any other character, but clearly, he was not treated like any other character when they included him in the first place.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's got one of the most epic scenes in SSE, for how little he was involved

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Shortie, you are now becoming the new Pieman. Both a positive and a negative...

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
he was a guest... he had to get one... snake had the original trailer... it's all for the fans... megaman will get one too.

*oh my god... i'm feeling that deja vu feeling again.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
And I think you're trivializing his presence. They dedicated an entire trailer to his inclusion. It was a big deal. I think that's plain to see.

"The one whose Smash appearance has been most desired dashes in from far away at supersonic speed."

The fact of the matter is, his inclusion was more significant that the average character inclusion.
No. His inclusion was different. Not more significant. Different. Now you're just treivializing every other character to every be included.

Shortie, you are now becoming the new Pieman. Both a positive and a negative...
Meh. I can take that title. Although I'm not sure what that truely means. He's a smart poster, so . . . I hope that's a good thing.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
he was a guest... he had to get one... snake had the original trailer... it's all for the fans... megaman will get one too.
Snake didn't get his very own trailer. He simply closed the reveal trailer..... he was among ZSS, Pit, Wario and Metaknight.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still think Square should be the ones getting a character

How many times have megaman starred in a game with Mario?

Square actually made 2 mario sports games and an entire series of board games with mario and square characters

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i said snake had the original trailer. it's all for the fans, man.

sonic didn't get the privilege to be in the original trailer.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
No. His inclusion was different. Not more significant. Different. Now you're just treivializing every other character to every be included.
Meh. Semantics. The point is, his inclusion revolves around fan demand, unlike other characters, whose inclusion revolves around relevance to Nintendo and its respective franchises. Therefore, cutting him is a bigger deal to fans than cutting other characters. Simply by the nature of his inclusion.

His inclusion was focused on fans. His exclusion would be heavier on the fans. A slap in the face, if you will.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
This 100%.

Anyways, has anyone got Event Match ideas?

[COLLAPSE="Event Matche Concepts"]The Doc is In!
His prescription? KO's.

Type of Match: Stock
Player: Mario
Enemies: Mario (Dr. Mario alternate costume), Peach (white costume
Stage: Tetris (set to permanent Dr. Mario background)

The player and Peach have one stock life each, while Dr. Mario has two stock lives. Basic Versus Match.

Reward: Dr. Mario alternate costume for Mario

Are You Chicken?
Captain Syrup's henchmen have irritated Wario's prize hen out of her nest. Retrieve her safely!

Type of Match: Adventure
Player: Wario
Enemies: Goombas, Koopas, Spearmen, Roosters
Stage: (Unique stage)

Wario starts at the far left edge of this Adventure Mode-style stage. His hen is at the far right edge of the stage. Wario's goal is to grab and bring back the hen back with him safely across the stage. The way to and back is filled with enemies, however, so tread carefully.

When Wario returns the hen, it lays an egg while Wario gives his classic W hand gestures towards the screen.

Reward: None.[/COLLAPSE]

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
"SONIC NOT IN SMASH BROS. 4"

That would make headlines.
Exactly. "Lucario not in Smash Bros 4" wouldn't get headlines on all of the popular gaming media sites. That's my point entirely. It's a bigger deal to the gaming community if Sonic gets cut than it was that Mewtwo or Roy got cut.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Meh. Semantics. The point is, his inclusion revolves around fan demand, unlike other characters, whose inclusion revolves around relevance to Nintendo and its respective franchises. Therefore, cutting him is a bigger deal to fans than cutting other characters. Simply by the nature of his inclusion.

His inclusion was focused on fans. His exclusion would be heavier on the fans. A slap in the face, if you will.
And again. What will the fans do. . . .? Be mad/sad? Oh darn! I was mad/sad too when I found out their wasn't a fourth third party. (I was hoping it was Bomberman) I do not see major repercussions for the lack of his inclusion.

Exactly. "Lucario not in Smash Bros 4" wouldn't get headlines on all of the popular gaming media sites. That's my point entirely. It's a bigger deal to the gaming community if Sonic gets cut than it was that Mewtwo or Roy got cut.
Ummm, Bowser Jr. Toon Link, Ridley, and Geno all got headlines as well. Don't forget them. They had a lot of rumors spreading around the net with a ton of articles about them. Headlines are headlines. A lot of stupid **** make the headlines.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@Berserker: So it would be better to leave Pichu in the game?

EDIT:
And again. What will the fans do. . . .? Be mad/sad? Oh darn! I was mad/sad too when I found out their wasn't a fourth third party. (I was hoping it was Bomberman) I do not see major repercussions for the lack of his inclusion.
They'll rage over the internet and swear that they'll have nothing to do with Smash...only to play it eventually.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You do realize mass or even semi-mass disappointment is a repercussion right?

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
games cut characters... it provides freshness to a game... super smash bros has 3 games... that's kinda fresh which is why the removal rate is soo low.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't like when games cut characters, I'd rather they just add a lot more

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I never said there would be major repercussions. >_>

But as one of the few Nintendo directors who actually listens directly to the fans, I don't see Sakurai cutting a character like Sonic, who he went through great lengths to include in the first place.

And the exclusion of Sonic would leave a MUCH larger footprint than cutting Mewtwo could have ever DREAMED of making. People would be talking about it on the way to SSB5. That's the type of disappointment that doesn't just hide away on the Smash Boards. That would get the talk of the gaming community as a whole, and every time there's debates about SSB, that'll be one of the topics pulled up: the fact that Sonic got cut.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
You do realize mass or even semi-mass disappointment is a repercussion right?
Nope. I don't see how that will effect sales of the game. Besides, what happens when everyone is disappointed? That doesn't spell out anything for me. MvC3 has been disappointing fans since the dawn of time, and they still have a massive fanbase.

I never said there would be major repercussions. >_>
That's what I thought.

I never said Sonic was likely to get cut, or SHOULD be cut. I said it was a definite choice and possible circumstance.

And the exclusion of Sonic would leave a MUCH larger footprint than cutting Mewtwo could have ever DREAMED of making. People would be talking about it on the way to SSB5. That's the type of disappointment that doesn't just hide away on the Smash Boards. That would get the talk of the gaming community as a whole, and every time there's debates about SSB, that'll be one of the topics pulled up: the fact that Sonic got cut.
That isn't reason enough for someone not to be cut. I don't see it. Besides, cuts are only bad if you view them that way. Without some cuts, we won't get some characters. No one ever looks at it like that. Sonic isn't going anywhere. Brawl discs won't vaporize.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
and MvC3 cut half of the MvC2 roster and added "fresh" characters. people love the game anyways!

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni

Ummm, Bowser Jr. Toon Link, Ridley, and Geno all got headlines as well. Don't forget them. They had a lot of rumors spreading around the net with a ton of articles about them. Headlines are headlines. A lot of stupid **** make the headlines.
I never saw headlines regarding those characters... >_> I'm not just talking about one or two outlets. I'm talking about news that would be pasted on every single gaming media site known to mankind.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Funny you mention MvC3, considering the backlash Capcom has received over Megaman (which he is going to be added).

I'm not going to try and convince you that cutting a popular character is always a decision best avoided if possible.

@Berserker: So it would be better to leave Pichu in the game?

EDIT @Shortie:

They'll rage over the internet and swear that they'll have nothing to do with Smash...only to play it eventually.
Pichu, Roy, Mewtwo and the other characters who got cut in melee were clones. Maybe the fanbase didn't care because they were mere clones or they were disappointed. Doesn't matter. It had a negative effect to the fanbase which is a bad thing. They could have gave them a cool new moveset but there were some random factors that lead to their removal.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I never saw headlines regarding those characters... >_> I'm not just talking about one or two outlets. I'm talking about news that would be pasted on every single gaming media site known to mankind.
Then you missed a lot. Seriously.

That isn't reason enough for someone not to be cut. I don't see it. Besides, cuts are only bad if you view them that way. Without some cuts, we won't get some characters. No one ever looks at it like that. Sonic isn't going anywhere. Brawl discs won't vaporize.

Funny you mention MvC3, considering the backlash Capcom has received over Megaman (which he is going to be added).
For one, that's a different situation. It's like not adding Mario to SSB.

Seconly, people still bought the games? Am I right? And even if the game isn't doing so hot I would blame that on Capcom and the whole UMvC thing. Not because Meggs isn't in.

I'm not going to try and convince you that cutting a popular character is always a decision best avoided if possible.
This isn't the same. This is ultimately about NINTENDO'S ALL-STARS. Which Sonic is not. If they made a game encompassing popular characters on Nintendo systems, then you would be right. But that's not how it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom