• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Mewtwo could enter as a "I'm back" character. Appearing out of nowhere to stop a fight between Pokemon A and Pokemon B.

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but with that logic it also shouldn't be Mewtwo since he's somewhat expected, if anybody needs to appear in an e3 trailer in the same fashion Snake did then it should a character that REALLY isn't expected at all, maybe a WTF character is suited for this task, Mewtwo clearly isn't, he's just wanted by fans like myself.

:phone:
Good point, but he is the anti-Zororark: he is wanted, not expected. That being said, I just want Mewtwo so maybe saying he would be a surprise was a little rash.

Anyway, the trailer cuts to black after seeing Link, Mario, Kirby, Pikachu, and other newcomers fight. Then, you hear," I, have returned!" or something along those lines that's a little less corny. Then Mewtwo appears in a dramatic flare as the veterans look surprised to see their old buddy Mewtwo has risen from the ashes of the cut characters to return in full pheonix like flare.

That was a little dramatic.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yea, just look at my sig, Mewtwo should confront either Pikachu or Mario fighting a dual and joins the fray, kind off like Meta-Knight did.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
What if Mewtwo and Ganondorf were revealed to show off characters getting new/revamped movesets. Also Ridley, since he too is a villain. One or two more actual newcomers. Then BAM. Slime & Chocobo.

Oh, Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, and Samus would be the first confirmed veterans too, I suppose.

Could all fit into showing off a new story mode?

Miis would actually work very nicely in a reveal trailer. As long as there were other big names revealed with them.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Mewtwo is expected at all, but definitely a re-addition that would please many fans. A (if somewhat unwanted) surprise to most people would be Mii's.

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
I think his return should be way more epic then just flying up out of nowhere like Meta Knight. Oh, and I've seen your sig. Maybe for PCAM/CAP we can switch Knights of Elibe for a Roy and Mewtwo or a "CUt Melee Vets" alliance.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I know how should the trailer end.

Someone throws a Bob-Omb into the battlefield- Mewtwo notices it, amd deactivates it his powers.
Suddenly, something falls from the sky.

It lands right on the bob-omb and BOOOM.

Then we hear...

FEEE......

*Guess who's the one who fell from the sky*

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Hmm, I know this isn't related to SSB4 but do you guys think Miis should be more customizeable and/or look better?

Oh oh! And we could use the microphone to record sounds for our Miis.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From the looks of Super Mario Bros Mii, I don't think Nintendo have any plans of changing the mii any

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
...Oh man. If you could record sounds for your Mii with a mic, that would be amazing. I know just what I'd do. (assuming they were taunts)

"OOoo~?"
"nnNN~!"
"STROOOOONG!"

Also, I think the Mii would have to get a sort of updated look to fit into Smash.

OmegaXXII

I think his return should be way more epic then just flying up out of nowhere like Meta Knight. Oh, and I've seen your sig. Maybe for PCAM/CAP we can switch Knights of Elibe for a Roy and Mewtwo or a "CUt Melee Vets" alliance.
Have you seen or checked out Project Begnion and PCAM, there's an alliance concerning the Black Knight, of course now that Chrono appeared it seems Roy might be his competion due to the Japanese showing interest, but this has me wondering, is the Japanese FE community also showing support? which character? Hmm...

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
I know how should the trailer end.

Someone throws a Bob-Omb into the battlefield- Mewtwo notices it, amd deactivates it his powers.
Suddenly, something falls from the sky.

It lands right on the bob-omb and BOOOM.

Then we hear...

FEEE......

*Guess who's the one who fell from the sky*
Starfy? I'm guessing

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Or, it shows all 64 characters running in their 64 graphics. Then, they switch over to Melee's graphics, and suddenly all Melee newcomers appear, running also. Then, all characters switch to Brawl graphics, and Mario or someone looks back, sees the cut characters, and grabs Mewtwo and/or Roy. They keep running, with mewtwo stillhaving melee graphics as Mario switches into Brawl, and then into SSB4 graphics. Mewtwo drops, stands up, and is transformed into SSB4 graphics.

Sorry, I got a little carried away. In retrospect, that wouldn't really work, but I still like the concept of showing chracter's evolution throughout the games.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hey, it'd be an easy way to confirm the old veterans as returning at least...

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
Have you seen or checked out Project Begnion and PCAM, there's an alliance concerning the Black Knight, of course now that Chrono appeared it seems Roy might be his competion due to the Japanese showing interest, but this has me wondering, is the Japanese FE community also showing support? which character? Hmm...

I have, but I don't know how to "sign." I see on the main site it has listings for "signatures," (Black Knights in the lead btw) but I don't know how to do it for others. I support Roy more than Black Knight, but I prefer Black Kinght better than like Lyn or Caeda due to being a villian (or, from what I've gathered, an anti-hero) and the potential for one kick *** moveset (not to say Lyn/Caeda don't, and that's kindof hypocritical for me to say when I support Roy, who was a clone. I'm so conflicted :c )

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Nooo. Starphoenix where did you gooo.

JAVACROC. You will have to suffice.

Let's see... Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Samus, Mewtwo, Ridley, Ganondorf, Slime & Chocobo, ...Little Mac. NAH. My idea for a trailer just doesn't work out well. That's 10 characters already. A few of which would totally be unlockables.

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
@SSBFan: Hey, do you by any chance have ChronoBound's essay concerning Roy? I would like to take a look at it.

Oh ya, I have that. Sorry, linked the wrong one last night. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161365
Second post in the thread has an essay about Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy. Roy is the essay (27 paragraphs O.O) , and Dr. Mario and Mewtwo are a couple paragraphs, each (Mewtwo has six, Doc has four)

He also has one about the forbidden 7: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182516
And a controversial one regarding clones: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217091

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I had an idea about making Mewtwo as a boss. Then he could unleash his more powerful psychic abilities. I still would like to see him playable since he's may favorite Psychic type. Hell with Charizard and Ivysaur thats three of my favs playable in Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Add in Qwilfish and I'd have MY favorite...

Just a thought: Since K. Rool's likely to be in, would anyone like to see Tiki Tong from DK: Country Returns as a boss?

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Newcomers Revealed at E3 2012
Little Mac
Ridley
Starfy
Issac
Megaman

Veterans
Mario
Link
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus

* Mario,Link, Pikachu, and Kirby are all dashing at each other in their Brawl designs and they eventually change to their SSB4 designs and start fighting.
* Samus eventually joins the fray and she fires her Zero Laser at the Veterans, it is deflected by a certain someone and the screen reads NEWCOMER:ISSAC, Issac and Samus begin to fight until she is grabbed by a purple dragon and dragged to the sky.
* Ridley appears to be the figure that grabs Samus and the screen reads NEWCOMER:RIDLEY he begins to overpower the veterans, until he is ambushed the figure turns around and the screen reads NEWCOMER: SAKI AMAMIYA he joins the fray and begins fighting against Ridley(sort of like Pit and Meta Knight)
* Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, and Issac watch the three fight until another figure jumps down panting they reveal their self to be NEWCOMER:Little Mac he prepares to face off against them until all of the combatants hear a high pitched scream from the sky they all look up even Ridley and Starfy falls from the sky. He looks around nervously gives the viewers a wink and the screen reads NEWCOMER:STARFY. They all face off and clash resulting in a huge 3D explosion... and the title SUPER SMASH BROS: CLASH or whatever it's called appear across the screen.
* We than get another small teaser at the end with classic Megaman music and we see a blue figure fall from the sky that is revealed to be NEWCOMER:MEGAMAN he gives a thumbs up and the trailer ends.

Yeah I'm aware that's not very good I really couldn't think of anything created.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Frankly, if Little Mac and Starfy were revealed at e3, I'd be so happy.

OmegaXXII

Roy should definetly have a unique moveset this time around, I'm sure Chrono already thought of it, let's just hope Sakurai does indeed have an open mindset and does go a different route concerning Roy, from this I'm guessing he would gave played as a semi-clone in Brawl if he would have made it.

As for Lyn, sure she has potential but honestly she's my least wanted, at least Caeda would probably be more unique and her Final Smash would probably consist of her Pegasus and performing the infamous Triangle Attack, other than Caeda, I wouldn't mind Sigurd or Leaf, heck maybe even Hector, too bad they are somewhat irrelevant, but if support arrose such as Roy's then I could easily see any of the getting in as well.

For the most part I'm just expecting Ike and Marth, not a 3rd FE lord that's completly new.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I'm expecting Marth, Roy and Ike. A 4th rep is very unlikely but not totally out of the question.

OmegaXXII

Oh ya, I have that. Sorry, linked the wrong one last night. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=161365
Second post in the thread has an essay about Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy. Roy is the essay (27 paragraphs O.O) , and Dr. Mario and Mewtwo are a couple paragraphs, each (Mewtwo has six, Doc has four)

He also has one about the forbidden 7: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182516
And a controversial one regarding clones: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217091
Oh goodie, this should feed my mind some more, perhaps convince me of Roy's inclusion, thanks. :)

OmegaXXII

Starfy moveset ey? Too bad it contains spoilers, any regular moveset I should take a look at?

@Calvin: sadly I never noticed the link. :(

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
You know what would be really funny? If Starfy ended up being the new Meta Knight and ends up being banned from most tournaments

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Add in Qwilfish and I'd have MY favorite...

Just a thought: Since K. Rool's likely to be in, would anyone like to see Tiki Tong from DK: Country Returns as a boss?
No, because Tiki Tong offers so little to differentiate himself from Master Hand. If DK gets a boss this time around, it should be a giant Zinger, where you are forced to play defensively to attack its stinger, or Krow.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
True. Just thought it'd be an interesting way to represent DK:CR.

Kinda funny that at first I didn't realize the similarities to the Hands.

If K. Rool was an adventure boss, I'd be pissed. Especially after Ridley.

EDIT: Speaking of Starfy, DK:CR, and Nintendo in general, what does Nintendo have against the moon?

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
The amount of crap posts piling onto one big pile of crap posts in this devolving thread since I've been gone is crappy.

Just saying. :p

Oasis, you're one of the few posters who are severely over looked. I definitely think you're one of the smarter ones.

I'm not saying this because we agree on a lot of things, I'm saying this because you use your head, and keep your arguments unbiased, which very few can do.
I'm almost universally ignored in this thread. At least Oasis is part of the discussion...

Maybe the name JavaCroc or the Mushu avatar is the problem...

Coming from Omega, I don't think you should take it much to heart. :troll:

I think I'll reiterate that Shulk (Xenoblade Chronicles) and Jiro (The Rolling Western) need more discussion. :V
Agreed.

I think the two would make a great package for SSB4. Jiro represents the 3DS, Skulk represents the Wii. Both hail from currently one-game franchises. I'd support both for SSB4.

Anybody hope this music comes back for Smash 4?

Melee All-Star Music:
http://www.youtube.com/v=qLMN4gg89sQ
Yes.

Melee All-Star Music >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brawl All-Star Music

Melee's music calmed you before a fight, and the setting created this unique transition that says "rest area" all over.

Brawl's music and location did not.

didn't.

@Cloud Cleaver:
Potential Newcomers [COLLAPSE="Show"](yes, I know the chances of all of these getting in are slim, but if even half of these get in I'd be a happy clam)
Mega Man: He should've been in Brawl, and he needs to be in now. They'll just need to be REALLY careful about making him too similar to Samus, what with the charging arm-gun and all. His slide would make a nice down special, and combinations of Rush and his alternate beam weapons would add a lot to his moveset.
King K. Rool: As has been said, we need more villains, and this delivers well. His crown-bowling technique from DKC's boss fight on the SNES would make a great B move!
Dixie Kong: I feel that Donkey Kong is old enough and popular enough to warrant a second newcomer, especially with a new "classic-styled" release, DK Returns. Dixie's hair-floating would be a very novel addition, not to mention she's a female to diversify the cast a bit.
Ridley: He is SO cool, and Metroid is hideously under-represented. His size is really a non-issue; if they can scale down Bowser and Charizard for Brawl, they can do it with Ridley.
Another Metroid Character: Metroid has progressed a lot lately in terms of popularity and character diversity, but it's debatable as to who else one should add. I'm thinking Dark Samus (provided she's a non-clone), Adam Malkovich, Sylux, or Rundas.
Zelgius/Black Knight: Fire Emblem needs more representation, and Zelgius is one of the most popular non-lord characters in the series, for good reason. He'd be a very novel heavyweight, but if Ganondorf does get his sword (finally) Zelgius' play style may come off as too similar. If Zelgius can't get in, Fire Emblem needs another rep. Hector was VERY popular, and Smash currently lacks axes, so he'd be novel. Lyn is very doable, and her katana would be a little different. Personally I'd love to see something even more unique, though, since FE has a "sword-only" vibe in Smash that isn't true to the series. Micaiah with her light magic would be difficult to give a moveset to, but would be very unique as long as she isn't too much like Zelda. Sothe has a knife, which would make him pretty cool to fight with. A spear would be ideal, as uber-long-ranged thrust attacks aren't yet to be seen in Smash, but the only good candidates aren't popular outside of the FE fan base; Ephraim, Shiida, and Nephenee.
Bowser Jr.: I worry that he'd be too much like his dad, but that can be worked around. He deserves a spot.
Rosalina: I actually like the idea of adding Rosalina, provided she isn't just another Peach.
Palutena: To celebrate Kid Icarus' revival, it needs another character. I find Palutena more iconic than Medusa, but this would require a reworking of Pit's final smash (which is okay, since it was crappy anyway).
Krystal: The staff from Star Fox Adventures would serve her well; Rocket Boost for her up-B, Ground Quake for down-B, Ice Blast for forward-B, and Fire Blast for B. She'd probably need her less-revealing Star Fox Assault clothing, though.
Zoroark: While I don't think he should replace Lucario, Zoroark's build and abilities make him well-suited to Smash, and he does sort of fit the same niche as the blue jackal for the Pokemon series.
Mewtwo: Yeah, he's awesome, and I wish he would return with a moveset that didn't blow.
Midna: Midna is a huge fan favorite, a female, and has abilities unlike the rest of the cast. To make her more interesting, she could be paired with her steed, Wolf Link, which still allows Link a second rep without creating an excess of green sock hats. A quadrupedal, magic-wielding tag team would be very new to the series!
The New Villain from Skyward Sword: This strange, blueish character looks like it would be an interesting Smash character. The ability to "grab" or "trap" an enemy's attack could be worked in as a special, along with teleportation.
Paula: She would be a great addition from Earthbound, if Lucas were axed. I don't think EB warrants more than two reps, though.
Knuckles: Shadow's cool, but he's a clone of Sonic even in his own games! Tails would be interesting, but he doesn't battle much without a huge mech, so Knuckles is the obvious choice. Still a fan favorite, and those punches are something to watch out for!
Gray Fox: Yes, he has a sword, but he holds it in a reverse grip. If MG gets a new rep, it should be him.
Isaac: Never played Golden Sun, but from seeing his assist trophy, he would make a neat character.
Ray Mk II: Custom Robo should get a rep. Those guys are just too cool.
Little Mac: A boxer? In a fighting game? What?
Saki Amamiya: That laser gunblade looks too good to pass up for inclusion as a player character.
Samurai Goroh: He has potential to be a Smasher along with Falcon, but he would be another swordsman.
Black Shadow: Another option for F-Zero, and my preference, if they can only take one.
Leon Kennedy: Won't happen, but Resident Evil 4 was one of the Wii's best titles.
Primid: This would be interesting, actually. A playable character unique to Smash.
Mii: It's gonna happen, I think, but I'd prefer it didn't.[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Show"]Characters that Need Cosmetic Changes:
Link: Some of his costumes need to reflect the alternate suits in Twilight Princess. Both the Magic Armor and the Zora Armor looked really sweet, but weren't just recolors of his tunic. If Toon Link is axed, you might want to add a cell-shaded costume as well.
Samus: Just like Link, add some costumes that alter her model AND colors to match her various suits. A Power Suit with smaller pauldrons, a Dark Suit with the wheel pauldrons, the famous Light and Phazon suits, even a Dark Samus suit. For Zero Suit Samus, the Dark Samus suit could give her a recolored face to reflect her phazon origins. The late-game reflection in her visor during Corruption would be a good place to start.
Kirby: A Waddle Dee or Gooey recolor would be kind of cool.
Fox: While the Star Fox characters have always appeared cooler in Smash than in their own games, I do think that his Star Fox Adventures vest and original silver jacket need representation. Also, a version with sunglasses as an homage to James would be sweet.
Marth: Now that FE11 and FE12 have PROVEN that he's male, can you lose the long hair, feminine voice, and Tiara? Hell, give him some English voice acting now too. A recolored and reshaped model could even be a tribute to the long-lost Roy.
Falco: As with Fox, tributes to his SFA and original SF outfits would be appropriate.
Ike: Ike needs depictions in his various costumes from the FE series. He's presently in his Ranger outfit, but his later Lord, Hero, and (my personal fave) Vanguard classes would all look great.
Peach: If Rosalina doesn't make it, a costume that looks like her would be a good counterpart to her Daisy suit.
Ganondorf: A Wind Waker version? Complete with a recolored and reshaped sword?
Wolf: I'd rather see his classic eyepatch than the robotic eye that replaced it later in the series. Since SF64 is being remade, why not?
Sonic: If Shadow doesn't make it in as playable, a Shadow recolor would be nice. One could also do Robo Sonic and Silver in the same fashion.
Bowser: Dry Bowser. 'Nuff said.
Olimar: A Louie suit.
Captain Falcon: He's already got a suit that reflects his doppelganger in the series, but I'd make it a closer match. Also, try to make him less homoerotic...[/COLLAPSE]

Items that Need to Be Axed:
[COLLAPSE="Show"]I know we competitive players don't use 'em, but items ARE a big part of the game, and Brawl's items were CRAP compared to Melee. The following items need to go, due to being useless, overpowered, or just too bloody random.
Exploding Crates: These are useless, when so many other things already explode. They just get in the way.
Golden Hammer: The normal Hammer was broken enough.
Lightning: Too random, and too good for SOMEONE, if not necessarily the character that used it.
Sandbag: Didn't really serve a purpose. We already have enough containers.
Dragoon: Hax, and it breaks up the flow of gameplay when everybody's just running for the parts. Smash Balls are bad enough. Lose this thing.
Timer: Like the Lightning, but not as severe.
Soccer Ball: Pointless. Not even game related.
Assist Trophies: Pokeballs that suck. I see these as a lazy way out of creating an individual item from each series, or implementing some of these as playable characters.
Stickers: 700. ALL by random chance. What the hell, Sakurai. This wasn't a challenge, it was just tedious.[/COLLAPSE]

Items that Need to Be Fixed:
[COLLAPSE="Show"]Smart Bomb: These were broken in Brawl, but making the blast radius smaller and lowering the duration would make these more viable.
Ray Gun: Tweak the knockback and fire rate. Against some characters, this weapon was an instant kill, as you could just juggle them right off the side. Also, I for one think it should look like the Duck Hunt Gun.
Cracker Launcher: Not all that overpowered, but a pain in the butt to aim.
Poison Mushroom: Either make them move in the opposite direction of the Super Mushroom, or give them their original easily differentiable colors (if the latter, adding some BENEFIT to being tiny might help)
Pokeballs: Melee's pokemon were much more entertaining and useful than Brawl's. I feel like the pokeball monsters suffered considerably when there were so many Assist Trophies to program as well. Make the pokemon more numerous, more functional, and back off on the legendaries.[/COLLAPSE]

New Items:
[COLLAPSE="Show"]Baby Metroid: Contained in its original Super Metroid glass jar. Throw to break. It will attack the nearest enemy, just like the assist trophy currently does, but it's smaller and more true to the series.
Ball and Chain: This item was kinda goofy in Twilight Princess, but it would suit Smash Bros. perfectly. Equivalent power to a hammer when swung, and blocks frontal attacks just like it did originally, but it makes you move like you're carrying a container, and you can't walk while swinging.
Goomba's Shoe: One of the most imaginitive and oddly-satisfying powerups from SMB3, I can see this on the battlefields of Smash 4.
Parasol: I thought this item was REALLY creative in Melee, and I have no idea why they axed it. RETURN THE PARASOL.
Red Shell: I miss this from Melee, obnoxious though it was.
The Wind Waker: If Toon Link is axed, this item would be a cool way to instantly create winds across the stage, which would increase movement in one direction and decrease it in another, as well as moving items or still characters.
Frisbee: From Nintendogs. One-shot throwing weapon.
Blue Shell: Throw it, and it damages the player in first place. *shot*
F-Zero Speed Boost: Run over this panel to get shot rapidly in the direction it faces.
Barrier Shield: From Star Fox Assault. Unlike the Starman, which grants total invincibility, this would temporarily replace your default L/R shield with one that doesn't shrink.
Random Minions: Remember in Melee how Koopas, Goombas, Topis and other enemies from Adventure mode had a tiny chance of showing up during regular versus fights? Do that again, but add some more minion types (zoomer from Metroid, Waddle Dee from Kirby, Shy Guy from Yoshi, etc)[/COLLAPSE]

Stages That Need to be Carried Over:
[COLLAPSE="Show"]Pirate Ship: One of the best stages Smash has ever had. Very fun! I might drop the swimming gimmick and tone down those bombs, but this stage is really really well designed.
Hyrule Temple: Banned, of course, but fun to play on and the casuals love it.
Smashville: One of the best neutrals. Shame the music is so quirky...
Corneria: A Star Fox stage on top of the Great Fox is a staple now. I'd personally like to see the stage redesigned again, placed in another locale, with the ship updated to its Assault or Command appearance.
Pictochat: A remake of this unique stage would be very cool.
Battleship Halberd: A very simple but unique stage that's fun and balanced.
Battlefield: A great neutral in its present state, and a staple of the series.
Final Destination: The plain, flat stage is a must. However, Melee's was MUCH better than this. Give it some sloped walls on the side so you don't lose your stock on the blasted lips, and maybe up the size a bit.[/COLLAPSE]

Stages Where Developers Should Learn from their Mistakes
[COLLAPSE="Show"]Spear Pillar: Reversing the controls and flipping the screen are two of the worst gags Smash has had. Disruptive, confusing, utterly not fun, and worst of all it doesn't affect the CPUs.
Port Town: No grabbable ledges on a cast with tether-dependant characters? Hideous. Add that to the speeding, overpowered death machines and damaging walls, and you have a stage nobody wants to play on. Mute City was a vastly superior implementation of this stage mechanic.
WarioWare: If the items that provide the gamebreaking effects here are turned off, those effects should disappear as well. Plain and simple. This stage is a pain for those who like a more gritty approach to Smash, which is pretty much all competitive players, and any casuals that like to emulate their playstyle.
Distant Planet: I liked the idea for this stage, but the rushing water and the fact that the monster insta-kills anyone standing on it make it much less viable.
New Pork City: Casuals loved Hyrule for its size, but this stage was nuts. Every single match degenerated into a "can't catch me" contest, and when Sonic was thrown in, this was intolerable to play on.
The Summit: Hardly any standard terrain, no grabbable ledges at all, swim-gimmick water, and an instant-death hazard make this stage ridiculous. Even casuals hate playing here, in my experience with them.
Skyworld: Not a bad layout, but the stage is so prone to stage spiking (among casuals) and teching (among competitives) that it's no fun to play on for anyone. The new Kid Icarus game should provide ample material for a better stage for the series.
75m: A nice throwback to an old classic, but generally poor stage design. There isn't enough room to actually fight, and the hazards are pretty serious.
Mario Bros: Ceilings everywhere, teching all over the place, walkoff blastlines, and the most life-threatening, unpredictable hazards ever seen in Smash. This stage is Smash Bros. Hell.
Game & Watch: I enjoyed the first one, but this one just had too many damaging gimmicks going on, especially for its close blast lines.
Pictochat: A very fun, novel idea for a stage, but a great example of how too many overpowered hazards can ruin a great idea.
Hanenbow: Just... no.
Shadow Moses Island: A novelty, but the fact that only one blast line is available makes it very unbalanced.[/COLLAPSE]

General Gameplay Changes:
[COLLAPSE="Show"] - Faster, but not quite as blazing as Melee.
- Less floaty
- More hitstun, but not as much as was in Melee. Getting helplessly stuck in long combos isn't Smash Bros, it's Street Fighter. That said, trading single hits back and forth is also dull.
- NO TRIPPING, unless it's induced by an attack, the banana peel item, or icy ground.
- Since L-canceling was dropped in favor of auto-cancelling, I say all aerials (save some of the really powerful ones) should auto cancel.
- Swimming was a nice try, but it came off as a gimmick and broke the flow of the game. Simple though it was, Melee's treatment of water (a la Great Bay) was much more effective.
- Footstooling was also gimmicky, but I feel that actually has some potential. It's mainly the tumble animation combined with the slow fall that screws it up.
- Drop the Subspace Emissary. I liked Melee's adventure mode better. The plot wasn't all that bad, but the gameplay was either insufferably boring or aggravatingly hard. The cutscenes and standard Smash-style duels were the only high points.
- Boss battles is a LITTLE ridiculous on Intense. That's the kind of challenge aimed at casual players, but I've yet to see a casual player actually beat it; the only ones I know of who've conquered the challenge are competitive players who got bored.
- The ability to turn off items in Single Player would be GREAT. I think I speak for all good players when I say that the Multi-Man Melees are MUCH harder BECAUSE of the items.
- Do more with the event matches. Melee's were a riot for the most part, but Brawl's were lacking.
- Bring back Board the Platforms! That was sick!
- The original Smash also had animated character selections. That would be nice to see.
- Drop the Masterpieces, and spend your time on things that aren't gimmicks.
- I'd say the amount of trophies is pretty good. Don't add too many more.
- Already said it once, and I'll say it again: to Hell with stickers.
- Keep the current airdodge system. Regardless of what it did for the competitive community, wavedashing was not how Melee was supposed to be played. Focus instead on making the normal Smash-style gameplay accessible to both competitives and casuals. Besides, going into helpless after a midair dodge is annoying.
- Fix some of the timing mechanics around shielding. It's WAY too easy to get punished for hitting a shield, especially since shield grabbing trumps a physical attack in priority. I've had CPU's grab Toon Link in the middle of his grounded Spin Attack.
- Make the AI smarter, not just hax. Superhuman timing and precision doesn't make them "harder," it just makes them frustrating and worthless for practice.
- Get rid of chaingrabbing... please... I use it because it works, but it's really lame, especially on stages where the blast lines can be walked into.
- Don't show so much favor to Kirby over everything else, Sakurai. Believe it or not, not everyone wants Brawl's story to be a Kirby-styled adventure, and the fact that Meta Knight has almost no weaknesses seems to be pretty blatant favoritism on your part. Kirby as a franchise is well and good, but when gamers want a Kirby game, they'll buy a Kirby game. Keep Smash Bros as Smash Bros.
- Don't ignore the wishes of American (and European) gamers. Metroid, for instance, is popular here, and just because the Japanese don't like it much, we've had to put up with Samus being the redheaded stepchild of Smash for three generations of consoles. The game's for us too, and last time I checked, our higher population actually translates to more sales... listen to us!
- In general, don't make things "random," "easy" or "gay" just to appease the casual gamer. Not all casual gamers even LIKE that kind of thing. At least provide options to turn that stuff off. (Examples include highly disruptive stage hazards, highly random and unbalanced items, Final Smashes, and tripping)
- Stage design needs work. Brawl had some nice neutral stages as opposed to Melee, but the more creative stages were mostly gimmicky, broken, or severely unbalanced. We understand that Temple will never go away, but is crap like the Mario Bros stage REALLY necessary? I don't mind the concept of stage hazards all that much, and even moving stages can be fun (Poke Floats was a riot for me), but when the stage hazards shift the focus away from the gameplay, there's a problem.[/COLLAPSE]
I don't have the time to look at everything you wrote, but I agree with those ideas I skimmed through. I don't think Jigglypuff or Toon Link should go, though.

Please, no American gaming characters..
Nooo. Starphoenix where did you gooo.

JAVACROC. You will have to suffice.
Wait, what? No American characters? Oasis needs me?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
K. Rool will never be a boss, due to it being awkward to have him towering over Bowser and Donkey Kong, who he is regularly just slightly taller than. This isn't a Ridley situation, where sizing him down would be out of the ordinary (yet still possible), this would be force-feeding K. Rool a Mega Mushroom just to shoe-horn him in as a boss.

King Zing would likely be an aerial boss covered in spikes for frontal defense, but with attacks that left its weak point (its stinger) open to attack. He would likely have low HP for a boss due to being difficult to attack, but would still be quite awesome.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yes. I believe that was the top Youtube comment for the video as well, last time I listened to it.

The Tiki Tong theme, the Treetop Rock remix, the Fear Factory remix and the Mine Cart remix must be in as well.

If we get three more generic Jungle themes, I'll be quite infuriated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom