• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Man, I've never been so excited about investing effort in fan movements in a while... But I need to sleep soon. =P

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'll see what I can do. Right now, I feel like creating a basic framework that I can use for anything I come up with.

And my sights are on the PCAM blogger right now. Of course, I don't want to impose my ideas on you guys, so if you don't want me putting my grubby little hands in your business, feel free to let me know. =P
I don't think anyone is going to be upset. If anything we would be very appreciative for that. If nothing else I know I'd be, I'm really pushing for my thing to take off.

I don't have the benefit of having the training and skill you've acquired when it comes to graphics.

But it's time for me to log out. Later.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Same here. I'll get back to you guys on templates and stuff some time tomorrow evening.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Young Gamers and Their Older Counterparts

I never truly saw a divide in the Smash Brothers speculating community until recently. I see my peers who have been around the community since I was a kid. I’ve always assumed that the reasons they were right about everything was because they were older, and I myself just don’t “understand it yet”. For about a year now, this has been my major theory as to why I just don’t see the reason older gamers back up Toad, and count out Krystal so much. It was only a few weeks ago that I thought to myself, as an eighteen year old, perhaps my brain hasn’t fully developed yet, and like a growing child, I’ll understand these concepts when I get older. I recently had an epiphany, and the idea that suddenly appeared in my mind is this. It’s not that I’m too young and that I just don’t understand or cannot comprehend their reasoning yet, it’s that I will never understand their reasoning, because I am of a younger generation. The value they see in characters like Toad, Falco, and Wolf will never truly be realized by myself because I didn’t grow up in an era where they were the head honchos. By the age thirteen, Krystal and Bowser Jr. had made their debut and I myself was born into the age of “You just don’t understand”.

It’s easily argued that Toad plays the role of wall flower, and does it well; it’s also easy to argue that Krystal plays the role of Secondary character better than Falco, and also had the “Love Interest” role covered. These two roles alone bring her to a higher status than Falco and Wolf. I’ve argued these points more times than I can count, and what I’ve realized is that either these older peers of mine don’t care, or they too don’t get me, just like I don’t get them. Is it possible that my view of the future and their recollections of the past will never see eye to eye? Are we both at fault for our sides? Do we just have mindsets to blame?

It’s now that I realize, it’s not only I, that do not get you, my older peers, but it’s you just don’t seem to understand me either. So, with this thought off my chest, I can take a sigh of relief, and conjure up a little smile. :)

Thoughts? Anyone?

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I'll see what I can do. Right now, I feel like creating a basic framework that I can use for anything I come up with.

And my sights are on the PCAM blogger right now. Of course, I don't want to impose my ideas on you guys, so if you don't want me putting my grubby little hands in your business, feel free to let me know. =P
Well that's incredibly helpful of you, Hex! I'd be happy to accept any help you'd be willing to provide to the Black Knight alliance. :)

@Trihyphon

Thanks champ! Really appreciate it.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Sorry guys i had to go for a bit but i'm back now.

Omega and army, Pretty much, the only hazard i was thinking of would be the question marks, but they've already been explained. The only other thing i've recently been thinking of would be perhaps the stage would turn every so often, like with the parasite queen stage. However, it wouldn't leave as annoying results as that stage: It would just be a quick rotation until you get to the portal to the sea of eden and back. Also i was thinking the present box might be useful in some way, perhaps every so often you could get a random item from it. What do you guys think of that?

Otherwise the stage would be pretty simple.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Shortie, I think you're one of the older ones in this thread. :laugh:

I played super nintendo at the age of 4 because my parents played. I was better than them after like a couple weeks. I continued with the SNES until I got a gamecube. I played luigi's mansion, super mario sunshine, melee, and the likes, but super mario world 1 and 2, as well as the dkc series, just had an unsurpassable replay value and appeal to me. I play them nowadays as well.

And I'm 16.

Great post, though. I've noticed the generation divide and don't know how I manage to side with the end I'm not on :p

:phone:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
just tried to play the first fire emblem and could not fininsh it, did not like they way it played plus the main character is mark not marth ?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Shortie, I think you're one of the older ones in this thread. :laugh:

I played super nintendo at the age of 4 because my parents played. I was better than them after like a couple weeks. I continued with the SNES until I got a gamecube. I played luigi's mansion, super mario sunshine, melee, and the likes, but super mario world 1 and 2, as well as the dkc series, just had an unsurpassable replay value and appeal to me. I play them nowadays as well.

And I'm 16.
Haha, well this post is more aimed towards people older than me. :p
Honestly, I didn't expect YOU to be so young. You seemed twenty to me, at least.

Great post, though. I've noticed the generation divide and don't know how I manage to side with the end I'm not on :p
Well of course I'm speaking in generalizations, and it makes sense for someone who grew up with the same materials as older games to side with older games. I myself play N64 as a kid, but I didn't go through my teen years playing this system. I find that your teenage/pretteen years play a cruitial role in who and why you side with the side that you do. I played Mario Sunshine just as much as I played Mario 64. I think it's because I played Sunshine and later Assualt as a teen and as I started to develope the idea of complex relationships between characters and which role I deemed more important really started to blossom. I once I began to look at games in a more complex way I think that's when I recognized Bowser Jr. as a Semi Boss/secondary antagonist and Toad as a minor character. It could be that older generations, or you for example, didn't have that role or character type within the Mario series, but they had Toad. Who they then probably deemed an important character based on what he did then. The argument is the same for StarFox.

I guess what it comes down to in the end is this: They tend to look in the past and say "Hey, look what Toad did for the series, look what he made for you" while I tend to say "Well look right NOW, and look what's to come. Do you see what Bowser Jr. is doing?".

I think another way to look at is that if for some crazy reason Rosalina becomes a staple character in a Mario Galaxy franchise, six years down the road there will be kids saying "How can you NOT see how Important she is!". Do you think it will be easy for Me and even the older posters to look at this and agree?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm that way as well. I'm 14, but I have fond memories of the SNES and the N64 as i've been growing up. Then we got an NES, but it only had a few games(castlevania was one actually). We still have them(although the NES is extremely temperamental: Sometimes it works, sometimes it turns it's back to us and says "You youngsters are lame!") and i still play games on them when i can, nothing beats the nostalgia.

Nothing.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
They tend to look in the past and say "Hey, look what Toad did for the series, look what he made for you" while I tend to say "Well look right NOW, and look what's to come. Do you see what Bowser Jr. is doing?".
i can't help but love the irony in this quote.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
God if Shortie is old at 18, I must be an old man at 20! :laugh: I remember when I was a young 15 year old lurking these forums, smack talking anyone who doubted Diddy Kong in Brawl! :laugh: Worst part is, now (campy) Diddy mains annoy the hell out of me! :ness:

For generation divide, you also have to consider when they started gaming. I started with a the NES, SNES, and (young) N64. So Toad was huge then. He was one of your few or your only ally in most of those games (aside from Luigi, and in some cases Yoshi), and in SMB2 he was playable (I totally mained him with Luigi). Maybe that makes me more lenient towards Toad; maybe not.

Although for the generation divide, it also has to do with perspective. I acknowledge Toad's past role(s) helps his chances, along with the fact he is a staple supporting character in the biggest gaming series ever. However, I acknowledge that Bowser Jr.'s role as a major villain recently, and his constant role helps his chances (on top of that, smash is low in females and enemies).

Perhaps I'm just stuck with the best of both worlds. Also, I hope this Rosalina thing doesn't become as annoying as those Daisy fans. Just be happy with the alternate costume for pete's sake!

Edit: I don't care if DK64 was all about collectibles, it rocked the dang house, and had some epic bosses. Original DK Rap ftw! :laugh:

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
the kids say "look what he made for you" right? well, those whom they refer to, shun what they offer.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
the kids say "look what he made for you" right? well, those whom they refer to, shun what they offer.
I'm not follpwing :I By kids, are you reffering to the older generation, or the younger generation? I don't mean to bug, but can you just elaborate. I really want to know what you mean, but it's one, and I'm pretty drained.

For generation divide, you also have to consider when they started gaming. I started with a the NES, SNES, and (young) N64. So Toad was huge then. He was one of your few or your only ally in most of those games (aside from Luigi, and in some cases Yoshi), and in SMB2 he was playable (I totally mained him with Luigi). Maybe that makes me more lenient towards Toad; maybe not.
I'm glad that you guys are realize that this isn't just about characters, but more about two different generations not seeing eye to eye. :) I was afraid someone was just going to bust in here and rant about Falco for three pages. >.>

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
ghh!!! kids.... younger gen...

ah whatever,

only I understand I. -Augusto Flores, quote from smashboards, 2011.
yeah! i trademarked that!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
ghh!!! kids.... younger gen...

ah whatever,

only I understand I. -Augusto Flores, quote from smashboards, 2011.
yeah! i trademarked that!
Are you saying that when the younger generation says "Look at what X character is doing now and will be doing in the future?" the older gen just ignores it?

haha, I'm trying here :p

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Sometimes i find myself completely disagreeing with kids in my school who play games like CoD and Halo. A lot of it is my upbringing, and indeed, the atmosphere in which i'm surrounded in. My earliest memories are of my brother showing me the N64 and the SNES and me eating the chords and finding every single cheat in DKC because i was too young to understand. It's why i love the games. A lot of other kids were brought up in houeholds where first person 3d shooters were just taking effect.

Off for a while, my brother wants to do some graphical art. cyas! ^^

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
They (younger generation) tend to look in the past and say "Hey, look what Toad did for the series, look what he made for you (older generation)"
with that being said, isn't the older generation the ones who generally support B Jr. and downgrade Toad? the younger generation weren't even there to experience the supposed rise of toad to even be talking and are trying to get Older Gen to see what they missed to abandon him.

can't believe im explaining... cie la vie

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
with that being said, isn't the older generation the ones who generally support B Jr. and downgrade Toad? the younger generation weren't even there to experience the supposed rise of toad to even be talking and are trying to get Older Gen to see what they missed to abandon him.

can't believe im explaining... cie la vie
I see it the other way around.

I see the older generation looking at Toad and what he did in the past and trying to justify that his actions 20 years ago are reason enough to add him. While we have this Younger Gamecube generation trying to show the older generation that Bowser Jr. is important for what he's doing now, even though he may not be as old as Toad, look what he's doing now, and what he will do in the future.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
oh! did i misread/misunderstand the original post? oh well, it happens, lol.

well, you get why it would have been ironic had it been the other way.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
oh! did i misread/misunderstand the original post? oh well, it happens, lol.

well, you get why it would have been ironic had it been the other way.
Haha yeah, I do. I'm glad you get what I'm trying to say now though ^.^

American Dad, then bed. Night guys.

Love your drawing of that Megaman character whos doing a sort of kick pose. Very nice.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't think age should matter as long as one can FAMILIARIZE oneself with these characters we throw around...? Maybe a factor in preference I suppose. :I

I don't see Krystal as very important to her series, but I think she'd fit perfectly in Smash. Toad does have more history in his series, but he'd be a terrible choice for a playable character.

I'm 21 if that matters at all.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
ah! that's Ballade... i kinda ran out of poses from my life drawing class so i borrowed Juri's pose from SSFIV, lol

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't think age should matter as long as one can FAMILIARIZE oneself with these characters we throw around...? Maybe a factor in preference I suppose. :I

I don't see Krystal as very important to her series, but I think she'd fit perfectly in Smash. Toad does have more history in his series, but he'd be a terrible choice for a playable character.

I'm 21 if that matters at all.
Well, I think it makes sense if you didn't grow up with Krystal, or don't see what she brings to the table.

ah! that's Ballade... i kinda ran out of poses from my life drawing class so i borrowed Juri's pose from SSFIV, lol
I'm excited to get my hands on some good art classes. I mean, self teaching only can take me so far.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
ButIplayedalltheStarFoxgames... :I
I think I would need to see your view on who is more important, and why. Then I could try and talk to you about it. But as of now, I haven't a clue about your situation :p

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
competition with my brethren boosted my abilities at an early age... i level capped at 18 so i had to go to college. i capped again at 20 so im back in college... hooray for scholarships!

also, i feel age doesn't truly matter. research matters. open mindedness matters. adaptability and adoptability matters too.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm glad that you guys are realize that this isn't just about characters, but more about two different generations not seeing eye to eye. :) I was afraid someone was just going to bust in here and rant about Falco for three pages. >.>
Time for my Star Fox character rant!
Fox is a pretty stable and relate-able main character.
Falco has a good role, has a memorable attitude, and is one of the few characters who is always memorable in Star Fox.
Peppy went from awesome (Star Fox 64) to okay (Adventures) to lame old man (Assault on).
Slippy was always lame.
Wolf's personality changes by the minute. He went from British to redneck; "What the heck? No way! I don't believe it!"
And Krystal, was probably added for the furry fans. She has no personality. The only thing cool about her is her psychic abilities and staff.

Also, my earliest memories of gaming were playing with my grandfather while he tried to teach me Spanish and mathematics (the guy was a genius scientist who spoke 7 languages, and read 8!). I didn't do good at learning Spanish or math (still have troubles with the latter), but I kicked his butt at SMB3 at the age of 3! :laugh:

Also, Oasis is older than me! Yes, I'm not the old man! :grin: :laugh: :chuckle: :ness: :troll: :cool:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
this is an unrelated note but do you all think the sales of 3ds will improve in the future?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
And Krystal, was probably added for the furry fans. She has no personality. The only thing cool about her is her psychic abilities and staff.
This is such a typical argument I hear for her. She plays a better more in-depth role in the StarFox series than Falco, and has the Love interest thing going on. She probably was added as a female character, who got popular because furries like furries. she definitely has a personality, you either don't like it, have a bias, or like Falco/Wolf better.

No one likes Slippy :awesome:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Being as snobby as I can be, I wouldn't really say any of the Star Fox characters are all that notable. Falco hardly stands out more than Slippy and Peppy in 64. Krystal while maybe having potential at first in Adventures, has evolved into a terrible character. Like she's just a love interest for the sake of it. ...I guess Wolf kind of "took off" in Assault, and wasn't really hurt by Command.

IN TERMS OF SMASH THOUGH, Falco is the certainly the second most popular character. Wolf... was a bit of a surprise for me. I guess I just wasn't aware of his popularity. Nice moveset too. I'd be happy if Krystal could get in. Her moveset would be great. They are the only Star Fox character Smash needs, in my opinion.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
IN TERMS OF SMASH THOUGH, Falco is the certainly the second most popular character, Wolf... was a bit of a surprise for me. I guess I just wasn't aware of his popularity. Nice moveset too. I'd be happy if Krystal could get in. Her moveset would be great. They are the only Star Fox character Smash needs, in my opinion.
And this is really where everything comes down to. They're the only ones who know how to fight. (Krystal in Brawl said herself that she's the only one out of her/Slippy/Leon/Panther who knows how to fight) They're the most popular, for sure. And really, if all four of them got in, Star Fox is done. Zip. Goodbye. We can move on, and everyone is happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom