• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Oh are we on Toad bashing now? I mean of all the Mario character Toad is the most deserving. Instead of the usual choice of word I wish to represent Toad in a collection of visual arts. I doubt none of the Toad haters will get it but it's better then just rambling on about it. This is all official artwork and not fan base.

[Collapse=Wario Woods]
[/Collapse]

[Collapse=Mario2]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Mario Wii]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Mario Party]
[/collapse]

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Incoming FF:

Thunder Plains: FF X

It's a repetitive song, but it's kind of happy, or at least different from the main theme of songs. I found i really liked it, especially since you had to press X in that small time before the lightning struk you to avoid it, and if you did it like 100 times you got this item or something or rather happened.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Vegeta Mii vs. Goku Mii = EPIC matches.

I'm all for Mii's I'm not sure if customization will be possible, he might just include generic ones in game with customizable moves, hopefully it will let you import your Mii's as well.

:phone:
I don't see why a customizable moveset is necessary. The concept of a Mii is only the appearance, not the function. Mii's always take on a generic function, so why should it be any different in Smash? Just make 3 variants on the moveset based on size. That's essentially creating 3 new characters that are as different as, say, Mario was from Dr. Mario. The moveset wouldn't change based on size, but the speed and power would.

D

Deleted member

Responding to Starphoenix's wall-of-text:

- I have to agree with Toad having a shot of being playable. However, a major barrier to his inclusion is that he has been Peach's B move. This could mean that Sakurai intends for Toad to be just that, Peach's B move. However, moves have changed before, so you never know.

- Definitely agree with Medusa here. As I feel a rep is near guarantee, since Medusa is preferred over Palutena, I can see Sakurai choosing Medusa, though I also feel we have a shot of getting three reps.

- Ridley is near guarantee, but I heavily doubt he'll be made available from the start. Fans will have to wait until Japanese release to see if he makes the cut.

- Interesting point in regards to Samurai Goroh having a shot of being playable. I think because of this that Samurai Goroh's chances are slightly better then I think. As such, I would not be surprised if Sakurai look at the Melee opening and decided to include him and Ridley as playable characters to finally have all NPC on Melee's opening finally playable.

- I agree with you in here in regards to Starfy. However, the question is if Sakurai recognize Starfy's potential since he was given a horrible AT treatment. If he doesn't, he will remain an AT, but if he does, I envision Starfy being one of the most likely newcomers to the series. Overall, I think he has a good chance, but we'll have to see if Sakurai truly holds a bias against him. Let's hope he actually played his games ever since Brawl.

- Right now, I consider Roy very unlikely to be playable due to not being relevant since 2002, haven't really seen much demand for his inclusion outside of Knights of Elibe, and being treated in Melee as advertisement. However, if we truly do get a remake of Roy's game, he becomes the most likely cut Melee vet to return since the relevancy issue would be solved. That said, I support his inclusion for the possibility he'll return unique.

- Don't need to say anything in regards to Little Mac. He's almost a shoe-in.

- Agree with what you said in regards to Saki Amamiya, but there's a small chance he could get edged out by Isa Jo, though like in Isaac's case, I can see the team going the way of Pokemon Trainer. Selecting the most well-known character in the series over the newest one.

- We'll have to see in regards to Shulk. If the game is a success in Europe AND North America, Shulk has a realistic shot of being playable and I will consider supporting him. Otherwise, I don't think he's getting in.

- Mewtwo deserved to be playable in Melee and I could go out to say he deserves to be playable in SSB4 as well., with of course a buffed move set. Since six slots is very unlikely, the only way Mewtwo is getting in is if we get five slots. If Pokemon for some stupid reason sticks with four, Mewtwo has no chance. However, if we get a fifth slot like I hope we do, then he'll battle out with Lucario for the fifth and last spot. I wouldn't mind if the team replaced Lucario with Mewtwo since I prefer him to Lucario.

Sadly, his chances aren't good due to being cut in the first place. :(

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Oh are we on Toad bashing now? I mean of all the Mario character Toad is the most deserving. Instead of the usual choice of word I wish to represent Toad in a collection of visual arts. I doubt none of the Toad haters will get it but it's better then just rambling on about it. This is all official artwork and not fan base.

[Collapse=Wario Woods]
[/Collapse]

[Collapse=Mario2]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Mario Wii]

[/collapse]

[collapse=Mario Party]
[/collapse]
Beserker would be proud of you son! :cool:

who that in your avi? Looks like an amazing Little mac contender.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
When it comes to Toad, he has plenty of merits. I don't know why people argue over him. It's all up to Sakurai anyway. Our arguing won't change the fact that there are still relevant characters inside and outside the Mario franchise that deserve an inclusion, probably at Toad's expense. I use that wording cautiously, because it insinuates that there's an intention of including him in the first place, which isn't necessarily true.

D

Deleted member

OmegaXVII said:
I'm all for Mii's I'm not sure if customization will be possible, he might just include generic ones in game with customizable moves, hopefully it will let you import your Mii's as well.
I would absolutely hate for this to happen. If we get Mii's, they better let us use our own Mii's.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I would absolutely hate for this to happen. If we get Mii's, they better let us use our own Mii's.
What game with Mii's doesn't? Why do people even feel a concern that they won't let you import Miis? Miis by their very nature require import.

Hence my idea of linking Miis to names.

OmegaXXII

I don't see why a customizable moveset is necessary. The concept of a Mii is only the appearance, not the function. Mii's always take on a generic function, so why should it be any different in Smash? Just make 3 variants on the moveset based on size. That's essentially creating 3 new characters that are as different as, say, Mario was from Dr. Mario. The moveset wouldn't change based on size, but the speed and power would.
Eh...don't take it too serious, I was merely suggesting something that people have considered in the past, to be honest I really don't care what moves they have, apperance is all that matters and it is the main reason why I'd like to see Mii's in the first place.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Wow.....just wow.......Most of you guys are sheep,because somewhere in these pages,some of you hated the ideas of Mii's.
It was a good amount of you,too.

D

Deleted member

What game with Mii's doesn't? Why do people even feel a concern that they won't let you import Miis? Miis by their very nature require import.

Hence my idea of linking Miis to names.
Obviously, I don't see Mii's being restricted to generic choices if they are playable, I'm just saying if they get in, there's no reason why we can't have a Mii-Joe Biden vs. Mii-Mickey Mouse vs. Mii-Tom Hanks vs. Mii-Naruto fight.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wait, usually popularity is a positive thing?
Yes. But when it's the only thing you have going for you, and you have two others with better credentials, you lose out.

So you concede he has had an important role but knock him down at the same time for not having any...
You conintuously mention Toad being in many games. He is, this is very true. But what was he doing? Filling up space? Almost always, this is the case. He is a character in the background, he's the guy you see for ten seconds who says "The Princess is in another caslte", and he's the guy who you get missions from. He's been in a lot of games, doing a lot of nothing. The only games he isn't doing a lot of nothing in is when he gets added in for technicalities. I mean I pointed that out with NSMBWii, and with SMB2, lets be real. Mario, Luigi, and Peach were added into Doki Doki Panic. This game is the least Mario game out there.

Define important to me? Because we apparently seem to be on different pages about what this means? I can write you a list of every single game where Toad has had his own title or been playable, not even counting the times he has made appearances.
When a character has a role that is more important than another. Now, Bowser Jr doesn't have a major role in the Mario games, this is true. But being a Semi Boss and a predominant villain sure beats out being someone who sits in Town Square with Toadsworth who shouts about the Princess missing.

That list will be predominately spin-off titles, which aren't what I'm getting into. Because, Bowser Jr. makes just as many appearences in them as Toad does. The only reason Toad has been in more, is because he's been around longer.

Fawful is not a good example, I'll say that right now. I'd drop it before I tear that argument to pieces. Since you wantd to point out Paper Mario, guess who is in there too?
Has Toad even been a partner in Paper Mario? I make my point. Even if he HAS, the fact that he is nothing more than a one-time partner proves his insignificance.

As for Bowser Jr. I could make the case that he has never truly contributed to the series apart from Sunshine. Be that as it may I won't unnecessarily knock him just to bolster my argument, I don't try to win arguments, just be logical. No matter which way you slice it Bowser Jr is nothing compared to Toad. Toad has been one of those characters with Mario since Day 1 (or 2 more specifically).
This is where we differ, you look at time as if it is more relevant than an actual high profile role. Which just isn't how I see things. You can try to tear down any sort of argument but I don't see "Toad has been useless since the 80's as a great argument".

Just because it is harder to distinguish between the single entity of "Toad" and the species does not mean he is not a valid and worthy candidate. Otherwise every species character such as Yoshi and the Pokémon should be removed. That is where that logic takes us. Yes, I agree that is absurd. Which is why trying to say that Toad isn't "important" is silly.
This isn't even a point I care about. I agree that this doesn't hurt his chances. You keep tip toeing around the major argument which is: Toad is unimportant and has conrtibuted slightly more to the series than the Koopas have.

It's clear to me that our values in characters lie in two different places, so this argument really won't get very far.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Wow.....just wow.......Most of you guys are sheep,because somewhere in these pages,some of you hated the ideas of Mii's.
It was a good amount of you,too.
I always loved the idea of Miis. As long as they're treated the same was as MKWii

Chris the Ripper

Yes. But when it's the only thing you have going for you, and you have two others with better credentials, you lose out.

You conintuously mention Toad being in many games. He is, this is very true. But what was he doing? Filling up space? Almost always, this is the case. He is a character in the background, he's the guy you see for ten seconds who says "The Princess is in another caslte", and he's the guy who you get missions from. He's been in a lot of games, doing a lot of nothing. The only games he isn't doing a lot of nothing in is when he gets added in for technicalities. I mean I pointed that out with NSMBWii, and with SMB2, lets be real. Mario, Luigi, and Peach were added into Doki Doki Panic. This game is the least Mario game out there.

When a character has a role that is more important than another. Now, Bowser Jr doesn't have a major role in the Mario games, this is true. But being a Semi Boss and a predominant villain sure beats out being someone who sits in Town Square with Toadsworth who shouts about the Princess missing.

That list will be predominately spin-off titles, which aren't what I'm getting into. Because, Bowser Jr. makes just as many appearences in them as Toad does. The only reason Toad has been in more, is because he's been around longer.

Has Toad even been a partner in Paper Mario? I make my point. Even if he HAS, the fact that he is nothing more than a one-time partner proves his insignificance.

This is where we differ, you look at time as if it is more relevant than an actual high profile role. Which just isn't how I see things. You can try to tear down any sort of argument but I don't see "Toad has been useless since the 80's as a great argument.

This isn't even a point I care about. I agree that this doesn't hurt his chances. You keep tip toeing around the major argument which is: Toad is unimportant and has conrtibuted slightly more to the series than the Koopas have.
TL;DR :awesome:

OmegaXXII

Incoming FF:

Thunder Plains: FF X

It's a repetitive song, but it's kind of happy, or at least different from the main theme of songs. I found i really liked it, especially since you had to press X in that small time before the lightning struk you to avoid it, and if you did it like 100 times you got this item or something or rather happened.
Yep, one of my fafovorite FFX tracks one there, I remember getting 200 plus dodges just to get the Venus Sigil gor Lulu, that was so hard but eventually I ended up finding a pattern and it worked.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Obviously, I don't see Mii's being restricted to generic choices if they are playable, I'm just saying if they get in, there's no reason why we can't have a Mii-Joe Biden vs. Mii-Mickey Mouse vs. Mii-Tom Hanks vs. Mii-Naruto fight.
Of course. I just think it would be super awesome for me to use my Mii, which is as short as you can make a Mii. Seeing little me running around as fast as squirtle, fighitng against some other, hulking Mii, who moves like Ganondorf.

Scar86

Smash Cadet
You know what would be great? A character creator! that way If Nintendo omits a character we all wan't, we could just make one! Like geno For instance.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Instead of writing an essay on the contributions Toad has given to the Mario series, shouldn't it be left at "Toad, as a fighter, is the least interesting choice."

D

Deleted member

You know what would be great? A character creator! that way If Nintendo omits a character we all wan't, we could just make one! Like geno For instance.
What do you think of Mii's? They're a character creator in some way.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Do you have any idea how complicated that would be? Not only accurately getting the appearance of real characters (which is essentially impossible unless he give you some sort of model importer), but then creating a moveset that is balanced?

Chris the Ripper

Do you have any idea how complicated that would be? Not only accurately getting the appearance of real characters (which is essentially impossible unless he give you some sort of model importer), but then creating a moveset that is balanced?
To bad,still a good idea

Scar86

Smash Cadet
What do you think of Mii's? They're a character creator in some way.
I think they are absolutely swell. They could have custom final smashes (From a list) Customizeable move-sets, customizeable anything! But the problem I have with Mii's is that you can't use them to recreate a character from other gaming universes. Like how people used the character Creator in Soul Calibur 4 to make Characters Like Link (and Obama) lol.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
To bad,still a good idea
Do Mortal Kombat Armageddon and Soul Caliber III ring a bell? Do you know how hated those two games are? Do you know they both have a really complex character creator in them? Do you think it's just coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom