• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
They're the most likely as they have had the most consistency in the series. Sorry to burst the bubbles of those hoping for anyone else.

:phone:

Kantrip

Kantplay
Cranky would complain and go on about how he should be doing it. He'd talk about how much better he'd do than them.

It would be Funky Kong, probably.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Cranky would complain and go on about how he should be doing it. He'd talk about how much better he'd do than them.

It would be Funky Kong, probably.
Doesn't he already have a role in the series? Like. he has a barrel plain or something stupid to go do? Did he get axed from DKCR? Is Candy Kong still the save point?

I would even be more happy with Kiddie Kong, but not Funky. His name says it all. He's. . . funky. .

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I think Tiny would be a bad idea because it overshadows the importance of Dixie's game.

Where the Bleep was Funky in Returns?

Ahh... army suit.
He wasn't, but he was in MKWii, which counts for something. Truly only Cranky Kong has remained the most relevant. But if for some reason he is too senile for adventure, Funky Kong it is. Unless they opt for generic tiki or something?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He wasn't, but he was in MKWii, which counts for something. Truly only Cranky Kong has remained the most relevant. But if for some reason he is too senile for adventure, Funky Kong it is. Unless they opt for generic tiki or something?

Well if we're talking racing, Tiny was in DKR2. Which is more closely related to the Donkey kong series than Mario kart.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well if we're talking racing, Tiny was in DKR2. Which is more closely related to the Donkey kong series than Mario kart.
Following that train of thought... Which is/was more successful...?

I was simply pointing out that Funky Kong won't be nearly as obscure as some of the other Kong clan.

D

Deleted member

Unless I for some reason missed it, is there a link saying Sakurai was contfronted after Brawl in regards to Ridley?

Will contribute to thread after work.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Following that train of thought... Which is/was more successful...?
I don't see how that plays into this discussion. Are they going to pick unknown Kong A for the unimportant player 4 slot because he was in a better selling game than unknown Kong B? I don't see why? No one would buy a Donkey Kong game just to play as Funky. haha. It's obscure vs. obscure. They could very well take the NSMBWii way out and just add two generic character because they're lazy.

I was simply pointing out that Funky Kong won't be nearly as obscure as some of the other Kong clan.
Mmm, debatable. Either way, if player four isn't King K Rool/Kranky, it's going to be an obscure character.

Unless I for some reason missed it, is there a link saying Sakurai was contfronted after Brawl in regards to Ridley?
I believe there is, somewhere. I recall him laughing and saying "That would be pretty impossible" when asked about Ridley being added. Which sort of makes me think that he could have had Ridley on the brain for the roster at some point and then was like "Meh, this could be a lot of trouble in the long run".

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I believe there is, somewhere. I recall him laughing and saying "That would be pretty impossible" when asked about Ridley being added. Which sort of makes me think that he could have had Ridley on the brain for the roster at some point and then was like "Meh, this could be a lot of trouble in the long run".
It was more like that he said it'd be pretty tough. He said he'd have to be a little slow and asked if that was ok.

The original quote gave the impression that he didn't even really consider Ridley as a playable character.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
It was more like that he said it'd be pretty tough. He said he'd have to be a little slow and asked if that was ok.

The original quote gave the impression that he didn't even really consider Ridley as a playable character.
Looking at all the Wii's limitations, do you think a Ridley would have been possible?

On a different note, I'm really excited that Sakurai is excited to work on this project. With Brawl, it seems like he was pushed into making it seeing as how he didn't want to do sequal after sequal. I feel like a happy/motivated/willing Sakurai will make for a better game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Technological limitations would only run in if too much power was used for attacks. This probably explains why the Pikmin have low polygon models as having 20 high polygon models would require more power and slow the game down, and you don't want that in a game that MUST be at 60 FPS for all active parts in the game (meaning cutscenes are the exception).

Unless Ridley required assists for every single attack, it shouldn't be a problem even on the Wii. The concern is more of how to do you put him in in a way that makes him faithful (meaning feels, looks, and acts like Ridley) and unique from the rest of the cast while keeping him balanced with his fair share of strengths and weaknesses.

I'm still confused as to why the loading times are atrocious in Brawl to the point. I can't understand why Zelda/Sheik aren't stored in a cache from the very beginning of the match. This would have reduced loading times much quicker.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Question.
Have I been replaced by that ****er Hokage?

*thinks about degenerating his status as "improving"*

Mabey I should go back to being that ******** Goku Fanboy you guys loathed so much.....

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@Crimson: Wow, so do you think that the limiting factor that involved a Zelda/Sheik tranformations is what caused Dixie to be scrapped from the duo? But don't you think they would have worked better as a loaded duo like the Ice Climbers? Or do you simply think of it as a tag team like Tekken Tag Tournament style for example?

I believe that if Sakurai does find potential for Dixie to be brought back in a duo, I still believe K.Rool would still have a chance at Smash 4 if Sakurai realiazes how demanded K.Rool is, not to mention he's a popular antagonist as well.

If Sakurai were to consider Diddy and Dixie as one character representing the DK franchise then I definetly can see K.Rool's chances going up considerably, even though Diddy/Dixie count as two characters, if Sakurai shows enough interest in K.Rool then I definetly can see it happening.

The Ice Climbers should stay unique though. Diddy and Dixie should be separate, considering that their moves are not the same.

D

Deleted member

@KumaOso: I don't think the load times in Brawl were that bad. If you want to hear of bad load time, check out GT5. Half a minute for every loading time.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
The Ice Climbers should stay unique though. Diddy and Dixie should be separate, considering that their moves are not the same.
Yes, but don't you think Sakurai would bring or include Dixie as a duo? After all that was planned for Brawl, if it meant that Dixie would play solo then that would probably hurt K.Rool's chances since Dixie happens to be more relevent I guess, plus I don't believe that the DK series would even get 4 reps whatsover, not that it wouldn't happen. It's just that a franchise such as DK probably doesn't need that many reps from that franchise to begin with IMO.

If Sakurai were to include Dixie in a duo with Diddy Kong which he actually showed interest in Brawl then I believe Sakurai would be willing to finally include K.Rool as a playable as well.

Question.
Have I been replaced by that ****er Hokage?

*thinks about degenerating his status as "improving"*

Mabey I should go back to being that ******** Goku Fanboy you guys loathed so much.....
To be honest, you were more hilarious that way lol, but Hokage is the chosen one as of now, you best stay intelligent.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yes, but don't you think Sakurai would bring or include Dixie as a duo? After all that was planned for Brawl, if it meant that Dixie would play solo then thT would probably hurt K.Rool's chances since Dixie happens to be more relevent I guess, plus I don't believe that the DK series would even get 4 reps whatsover, not it wouldn't happen. It's just that a franchise such as DK probably doesn't need that many reps from that franchise to begin with IMO.
Donkey Kong doesn't need four characters because they don't really have that many important characters. Dixie as a solo character seems even more far-fetched than Krystal joining StarFox's legion of characters. She is decently important, but I honestly don't want to see her take up space for another character since she runs the risk of being, to some degree, a Diddy clone. The Donkey Kong series in itself is a powerhouse. DKC has sold a **** ton of games, including all the GBA ports. Diddy Kong Racing was majorly popular during the N64 era as well. I'm willing to bet that the DKC series has sold as much/more than the Fire Emblem series.

So yeah, if they had another big character like King K. Rool, I would say sure, they might have enough merits for a fourth rep, but as of right now, I wouldn't bet on Dixie at all, let alone Dixie as a solo character.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
A DK discussion? I should've came earlier.

-From now on, I'm gonna parody the Diddy/Dixie tagteam ideas with a DK/Diddy one. DKCR proved its possible; with this we can have a Banjo-Kazooie styled fighter thanks to the combined moves of those 2 kongs. Its a win/win for them. They'll be stuck in one slot, you'll mainly play as DK, and Diddy can propel DK at high speeds with that Kong Roll and his Jetpack. Plus, he'll shoot peanuts from DK's back. Flawless. To those who may not have seen Banjo-Kazooie's symbiotic relationship, just use Mario and Luigi's bro moves from Superstar Saga and its sequels to get an idea.
-Or, instead of tagteams, they could just prioritize K.Rool, and if there's time for Dixie, have her separate. Donkey, Diddy, and Dixie have their own game(s), but some people want to keep them attached to others like they can't stand on their own. Kiddy is the only playable DKC kong that deserves this treatment because he has no game. What are you indicating about someone's importance if they should be companion Kongs? And I doubt plans remain the same for a series when a new and well received game comes out between 2005 and 2011, aka the start of Brawl's development and Smash 4's soon-to-be.

Other things:
-Yes, people picked Diddy over DK in DKC, and Dixie over Diddy in DKC2. Up until DKCR, DK was the least playable (only in 1 game), like Kiddy.
-I agree that Dixie should've been playable in DK64.
-Funky's said to hate adventuring according to the MarioWiki, and he isn't in DKCR. Cranky makes a joke about it (along with K.Rool), which kinda indicates that Funky's presence would cause a plothole. He could fly them straight to Tiki Tong, plus you had to go to him just to reach a section of the map. They made the process simpler.
-Dixie isn't as important as K.Rool. In relevance, its DK, Diddy, K.Rool, Animal Buddies/Cranky, Funky, Dixie, others.
-in DK64 and DKCR, Cranky made potions that gave new abilities. If he uses them on himself and makes others exclusive to him, he'll be far from useless. He always brags about his skills; maybe the potions are his secret.

OmegaXXII

@BirthNote:so would you suggest or even see the possibility of a Cranky Kong as playable?

I also agree happen to agree on you with K.Rool being more important as he has a more prominent role in the series as a main antagonist.

Aside from a potential solo Dixie, I believe K.Rool's absence from Donkey Kong Returns may be another factor that could potentially hurt his chances as well.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
in DK64 and DKCR, Cranky made potions that gave new abilities. If he uses them on himself and makes others exclusive to him, he'll be far from useless. He always brags about his skills; maybe the potions are his secret.
Mmmm, I would pass on this idea, it feels to "what-if?" for me.

OmegaXXII

Will contribute to thread after work.

Well, I wasn't able to find such an article, have you ever seen such an article?

Anyway here was I was able to find, it's not really about Ridley but he does seems to dodge the question though.

HERE

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@BirthNote:so would you suggest or even see the possibility of a Cranky Kong as playable?

I also agree happen to agree on you with K.Rool being more important as he has a more prominent role in the series as a main antagonist.

Aside from a potential solo Dixie, I believe K.Rool's absence from Donkey Kong Returns may be another factor that could potentially hurt his chances as well.
About a playable Cranky, not for Smash. That was more for a 4-player DKC thing (kiddy would be safer even though IDC for him) that was mentioned; I didn't want to do multi-quotes on a phone. And yeah, K.Rool's absence hurts his chances, but even though DKCR did well without him (AFAIK), hopefully the 'where's k.rool :(' comments show how popular he is.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
About a playable Cranky, not for Smash. That was more for a 4-player DKC thing (kiddy would be safer even though IDC for him) that was mentioned; I didn't want to do multi-quotes on a phone. And yeah, K.Rool's absence hurts his chances, but even though DKCR did well without him (AFAIK), hopefully the 'where's k.rool :(' comments show how popular he is.

K. Rool not being in DKCR is one of the only things that hurts him, in reality. He's popular, and absolutely no new characters emerged from the game as possible reps. However, the game sold well enough to put DK back in the spotlight, and thus, a third rep is more justifiable. Dixie's only shot is with Diddy, and even that is questionable at best.

At this point, I'd bet on K. Rool or no new DK rep.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yes, but don't you think Sakurai would bring or include Dixie as a duo? After all that was planned for Brawl, if it meant that Dixie would play solo then that would probably hurt K.Rool's chances since Dixie happens to be more relevent I guess, plus I don't believe that the DK series would even get 4 reps whatsover, not that it wouldn't happen. It's just that a franchise such as DK probably doesn't need that many reps from that franchise to begin with IMO.

If Sakurai were to include Dixie in a duo with Diddy Kong which he actually showed interest in Brawl then I believe Sakurai would be willing to finally include K.Rool as a playable as well.

I may not be Sakurai, but it would be pretty strange to see two characters work together when their movesets aren't even alike.

Plusle & Minun would work, since their moves are highly identical, but their inclusion is highly doubtful now.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
K. Rool not being in DKCR is one of the only things that hurts him, in reality. He's popular, and absolutely no new characters emerged from the game as possible reps. However, the game sold well enough to put DK back in the spotlight, and thus, a third rep is more justifiable. Dixie's only shot is with Diddy, and even that is questionable at best.

At this point, I'd bet on K. Rool or no new DK rep.
Hopefully he makes it in.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well, I wasn't able to find such an article, have you ever seen such an article?

Anyway here was I was able to find, it's not really about Ridley but he does seems to dodge the question though.

HERE
"Looking threw my Nintendo Power collection".

I did find that article, but other then what was already mentioned above there's not much else.

Except that the roster was chosen before 07, so this does raise Victini's chances quite a bit. That and Wave Dashing still may not return for SSB4 as he said it was originally in Brawl before they took it out.

He also admits slowing down the gameplay on-purpose.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is something that will make or break SSB4 in a lot of players eyes. I hope he knows this.
I didn't think Melee was too fast. I even played Sheik with her lightning fast reflexes.

Maybe they tried Sonic + Bunny hood on Melee speed blew their minds

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
"Looking threw my Nintendo Power collection".

I did find that article, but other then what was already mentioned above there's not much else.

Except that the roster was chosen before 07, so this does raise Victini's chances quite a bit. That and Wave Dashing still may not return for SSB4 as he said it was originally in Brawl before they took it out.

He also admits slowing down the gameplay on-purpose.
Slower game play isn't all that bad though. It helps players react better to attacks.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So, at the request of Barbasol I made a banner for Project: Unova.

EDIT: Forgot he asked for blue font.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I didn't think Melee was too fast. I even played Sheik with her lightning fast reflexes.

Maybe they tried Sonic + Bunny hood on Melee speed blew their minds
I miss the speed, the weight, the way you could combo/juggle in Melee. If SSB4 could get something similar to this, I would be delighted. OH, and hopefully this time around balance actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom