• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Speaking of Bowser Jr., some guy at the Mario Wiki forums wants Bowser Jr. as an Assist Trophy. I didn't agree with his thought.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well I believe him not having bib wouldn't necessarly be a factor for considering his moveset, after all Smash isn't canon.

Anyway what kind of Bowser Jr. moveset would you suggest, as I have only seen a Shadow Mario based one?

:phone:
I haven't really thought of one for him. With characters I just think about their potential but I don't build up from there. I've thought about Jr. using his Clown Car as an UpB and other things inspired by his siblings' attacks, but I haven't made a cohesive structure. A paintbrush moveset would be great though (my first choice), and I usually bring up the other things like the Clown Car to show that in case he doesn't get a brush-based style, he'll have other things to rely on to prevent cloning.

Also it would be interesting if they found a way to implement the different types of goo, like the normal (poisonous), fiery, and electric. I have no idea how to do that right now and I'm avoiding my 'use DownB to change goo' thoughts. There's also a Bowser Jr. post in Make Your Move that went in depth with some paint-based possibilities.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I would be disappointed to see Bowser Junior transform into Shadow Mario.
Hmm.. It seems the majority of the fans here hate the idea of a Shadow Mario moveset, hmm.. Interesting to learn, I wonder if any Bowser Jr. supporters think the same, looking and imagining Oasis's ideas made me realize that he has much more potential to be unique moveset wise that is.

@M&S guy: That person who suggested the idea must obviously not want Bowser Jr., he probably hasn't realiazed how prominent of a character he really is, he is not in the same league as say Birdo or Waluigi.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah. With his flying clown car and his paintbrush, there are MORE than enough options to cover a moveset without a transformation.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It would be a waste of potential if Bowser Jr. were an Assist Trophy, but even so he would make a great one nonetheless, lol.

@BirthNote: What's wrong with using Down B to change paint? Also, going along with the "flicking paint droplets with each swing" concept, perhaps if he has Fire paint, the droplets send opponents upward, Sludge paint just stuns (doesn't really send them in a direction (OR, sends them horizontally?)), and Electric paint sends them downward? The knockback for both Fire and Electric would be minimal, of course.

It would be amazing if they put a SYSTEM (WHATEVER) in place like in Mario Sunshine, where goo sticks to the players' model. (Just an aesthetic thing)

CalvinWars

Smash Apprentice
While I agree Bowser Jr. has enough moves to be unique without transformations, doesn't mean that Shadow Mario wouldn't be original. I think people are just afraid of him being a Mario clone, which I think we all agree would be a huge waste.

Off topic: First time posting in more than 2 and a half years

Kantrip

Kantplay
Or make it not an aesthetic thing and have movement be reduced when you have paint on you. It can be removed by the player the same way Olimar's pikmin can.

D

Deleted member

OmegaXVII said:
I'd really like to see Mewtwo make his epic return as well along with the following:

•Pikachu
•Pokemon Trainer (any trainer would be fine)
•Victini
•Jiggylypuff

I don't really see Lucario demanded so badly as Mewtwo is so I rather have Mewtwo back instead, as for Zoroark, he would just make Mewtwo's and Lucario's chances go down considerably due to the similar bodytype, therefore I support Victini solely for this reason.
That's why I said IF Mewtwo makes his return. But I would love to have a roster like that.
PsychoIncarnate said:
I've decided to make a Geno Moveset. He's going to act somewhat like a mixture between Mewtwo and Snake.
That'll be interesting. Would like to see that.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yeah. With his flying clown car and his paintbrush, there are MORE than enough options to cover a moveset without a transformation.
I agree. Hopefully, the closest they ever come to Shadow Mario would be a reference in which there's an alt recolor of Jr. that has Shadow Mario's palette. It will be like that cutscene in Sunshine's Pinna Park (Mecha Bowser Appears!) where Jr. revealed himself.

@Oasis: LOL, nothing's wrong with it. I wanted to think of another way to switch paint before choosing DownB, since it would be SLIGHTLY similar to Zelda and PT's swapping. Maybe press the Taunt button and hold B? IDK--this idea's new atm.

OmegaXXII

Expand on it!! It would be interesting if someone came up with some good concepts as far as Bowser Jr. is concerned, it's a group effort.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Well at least Shadow Mario is a different character from Mario (unlike Paper).

I think Shadow Mario should be a costume change of Mario. If Bowser Jr. is playable he should be unique.

Kantrip

Kantplay
Yeah, Olimar pulled off a very unique way of switching things with his Pikmin. It would be cool if we could do something like that. I personally would rather avoid using a taunt for a core character mechanic like that.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Eh, I was just curious. Down B seemed like the most obvious way to do it, but that's fine trying to think of something new.

AND THE PROBLEM WITH SHADOW MARIO IS, people seem to suggest it when they can't imagine what more Bowser Jr. could do, so they just kind of toss that out there in an attempt to make him sound unique. It's better to show he could be way more unique WITHOUT a transformation. I mean, it's not even necessary. THEN you're just trying to think of a new Mario moveset. UNLESS SHADOW MARIO, TOO, USES THE PAINTBRUSH. And at that point, it's even more unnecessary.

Also, has anyone suggested his alt colors be based on the Koopa Kids? That'd be great. PINK ROY JUNIOR.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Though I'm not really for him he is the second most deserving other then Toad.

Let's look at what Bowser Jr. has done it game.

- Spit Fire balls (Mario Wii)
- Flies Clown Copter (Mario Wii)
- Can disgues as Mario (Mario Sunshine)
- Use Giant Mechanical Machines (Mario Galaxy)

Then we look at what can be added to him. (I'll be taking some ideas from other games and you guys)

- Paint brush can be used similar to a spear
- Paint things to come to life that can be used for attacks (Scribblenauts, Kirby 64)
- Can throw paint (Epic Mickey)
- Use similar Bowser and Squirrtle style attacks (Smash Bros)

I don't know much about Bowser Jr. so I can't give much of an idea. You can use similar thought process to make more creative ideas.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I want to see alternate costumes this time around, not just alternate colors

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I finished revising my roster today. Any comments?

[lack of pics is due to laziness on my part. same with the leftover correction marks from Word.]

Here's my list of reasons why I excluded certain characters
  • Caeda can be switched out for Black Knight. I don't really care.
  • ^Same with Vicinti and Zoroark.
  • Toad is excluded because of a personal preference toward Bowser Jr and Paper Mario
  • Geno is excluded because he doesn't stand any chance of getting in due to his abysmal background (appeared in 1 game, not new enough to be relevant or old enough to be retro, is owned by a third party who's more known for their other stuff)
  • Black Shadow was chosen over Goroh because I still feel that having 2 samurais (Goroh and Takamaru) would be repetitive and because someone needed to inherit Ganondorf's old moveset.
  • Ghirahim was excluded on the basis of being a one-shot Zelda villain like Skull Kid and Zant.
  • Andy and Ray were cut at the last second for Starfy and Little Mac.
  • Black Mage was included as a second 3rd party character due to being one of the mascots of the Final Fantasy series, having his original appearance on a Nintendo console, and of course moveset potential.
  • Dixie Kong was excluded because I honestly can't see her being significantly different from Diddy except for specials and, of course, because of K. Rool.
  • Team Rocket was excluded due to stealing Pokemon Trainer's gimmick, and Genesect due to the fact that Nintendo hasn't even revealed him yet.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yeah, Olimar pulled off a very unique way of switching things with his Pikmin. It would be cool if we could do something like that. I personally would rather avoid using a taunt for a core character mechanic like that.
Perhaps. The way I was imagining the "taunt-switch" idea was to make the desired type instantly obtainable. With DownB you'd have to go from Paint A to Paint C in a certain order, but if the types were mapped to a directional taunt you'd be able to get what you wanted faster. So, going by Oasis's idea of directional knockback, the fire goo could be UpTaunt+B, electricity being DownTaunt+B and the "regular" (poisonous) could be the Left and Right Taunts+B.

The taunts would work the way they were meant to (taunting) if you don't hold B while pressing them. I thought of these..."Taunt Switches"/"Special Taunts" (whatever) because there weren't enough buttons for this so I thought '"Why not use some buttons differently?".

@Oasis: Yeah, I thought it would be cool for Jr. to have Morton's color scheme, down to the white star on his face.

OmegaXXII

@Pseudomaniac: Just have TheBlack Knight and I'll be happy.

Black Mage? How about Slime and Chocobo team or Sora instead lol..

BTW, five 3rd party reps is way too many, just 3 would be fine, I don't really expect to see more than 3 much less even 4.

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
@Pseudomaniac: Just have TheBlack Knight and I'll be happy.

Black Mage? How about Slime and Chocobo team or Sora instead lol..

BTW, five 3rd party reps is way too many, just 3 would be fine, I don't really expect to see more than 3 much less even 4.

As I said, Caeda could be switched out for Black Knight and I wouldn't care.

I've always disliked the idea of Slime and Chocobo in Smash. IDK why. And Sora's more of a Disney\Sony character.

And I forgot to replace Tetris (a character made of Tetris blocks) with another WTF character after I was told Tetris would be third party. So replace it with either Duck Hunt Dog or Captain N for a WTF character.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
*Cough* Geno's been in 2 games, last one appearing in 2003 though it's only a cameo appearance */cough*

OmegaXXII

Yea, Sora seems more of a Sony character than anything, but seeing he's at least had apperances on Nintendo platforms I wouldn't count him out completely, his chances are almost non-existant.

Anyway as far as 3rd party guests goes I think these would have the most probably chances:

•Sonic
•Snake
•Megaman
•Professor Layton
•Slime or Slime & Chocobo
•Travis Touchdown
•Tails
•Ryu
•Phoenix Wright

personally out of any of those, if we got just one new 3rd aside from Sonic and Snake I'd say Phoenix Wright would be my choice, even though he is very unlikely, maybe just as much as Sora.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Phoenix Wright was chosen over Megaman for UMvC3. Anything can happen.

D

Deleted member

Yes, it was called Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.

@Pseudomaniac: What do those bars behind the username indicate?

OmegaXXII

Phoenix Wright was chosen over Megaman for UMvC3. Anything can happen.
Agreed! TBH, I'd rather see him in instead of Megaman only because Megaman's creator is no longer working for Capcom, therefore Capcom probably isn't supporting Megaman as much as they once did, I honestly don't see him as very likely after MML3 got cancelled, Phoenix Wright and that raccoon just goes to show how they have more priority over Megaman in Capcom fighters nowadays, I wouldn't even be surprised to be honest.

OmegaXXII

@OmegaXVII: Rocket Raccoon is owned by Marvel.
Yes, I am quite aware of that, I'm was just referring that Capcom would consider him rather than Megaman instead, even if he does happen to be owned by Marvel.

As to Ryu Hayabusa, I can see him likely as well, I totally forgot about him since I don't know much about him, what franchise/company does he come from?

Kantrip

Kantplay
Paint switch between three can work just fine with 1 button, I think.

Let's say you start with the goo paint, as that is the "regular" one. If you press down-b, you will switch to the fire paint. If you SMASH the input of down-b, you will skip fire and go to electric.

Now let's say you regularly pressed down-b. You now have fire paint. If you were to press down-b normally again, you would switch to electric paint. If you smash input down-b, you will switch to goo paint.

Normal input again, you are now at electric paint. Regular down-b gets you goo paint, smash down-b gets you fire paint. Let's say you smash this time.

You have fire again, skipping by goo. With this method, you could always skip goo and just alternate between fire and electric if you so desired.

G->F->E->G->F->E

Barbasol

Smash Ace
They didn't snub Megaman because Inafune, they included Zero because they wanted to utilize his moveset potential as a more modern design. Zero is, basically, more japanesey-mecha modern Megaman. I dunno, I basically consider Zero to be basically like X, .EXE, Volnutt. IMO.

But, yeah, Zero is instead of Megaman. Not for no reason.

Kantrip

Kantplay
For air turning around, it should just be smashing in the direction you want to turn, otherwise it's overly complicated for something that should be so simple.

D

Deleted member

Yes, I am quite aware of that, I'm was just referring that Capcom would consider him rather than Megaman instead, even if he does happen to be owned by Marvel.

As to Ryu Hayabusa, I can see him likely as well, I totally forgot about him since I don't know much about him, what franchise/company does he come from?

Considering that Rocket Raccoon is owned by Marvel, I would say a better argument is that they prioritized him over Gambit/Venom since Marvel calls the shot for who gets in on the Marvel side, not Capcom. That's just me, though. However, in regards to Phoenix Wright, I see him as extremely unlikely, but I'm not sure why people think him appearing in Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 lowered his chances. Even I, someone who is against his inclusion in SSB4 has admitted that it has helped him.

Ryu Hayabusa is the protagonist of the Ninja Gaiden series and is owned by Tecmo.

As for third-party characters likelihood, I don't think there's any likely third-party characters. I would say Mega Man, but cancellation along with not appearing in Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 has hurt his chances considerably, although I still see him as the most likely. That said, Ryu Hayabusa would be great and is my second most wanted third-party character.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I will dissent on this notion:smash hasn't seen much cancelling love so far. I'd love to see some, but I'm not holding my breath
Special Canceling - This is actually a very basic thing. While the normal is coming out, buffer the input for the attack and press B as soon as it hits. Doing so bypasses the recovery and you go into your special for a free hit. An example of this would be doing Mario's FTilt into UpB.

DI - I'm not quite certain myself what could be done to it so that it still plays an important part.

Final Smashes - They'd be impractical in that the conditions to safely connect them are specific and are just there mostly for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom