• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

That mental challenge or whatever it was.
It was the thirty-eight character slots challenge to lower people expectations but still prove that a 38 slot roster can still be good. I'll go dig it up now.

D

Deleted member

@KumaOso: Here's that challenge from me:
Super Smash Bros. Fan said:
Everyone, let's do a thought exercise. Imagine if we get a universal roster with only thirty-eight slots then adjust your expectation accordingly. You don't have to do a roster, you just have to say who you would cut and who would you bring as newcomers. I did a roster as an example of this:
[COLLAPSE="Roster"]Mario:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, or Toad*

Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
King K. Rool*

Yoshi:
Yoshi

Wario:
Wario

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda/Sheik
Ganondorf*

Metroid:
Samus
Ridley*

Kirby:
Kirby
Meta-Knight
King Dedede

Star Fox:
Fox
Falco*
Wolf*

Pokemon:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Victini*

F-zero:
Captain Falcon

Mother:
Ness

Fire Emblem:
Marth
Ike*

Kid Icarus:
Pit
Medusa*

Pikmin:
Olimar

Retro:
Ice Climbers
Mr. Game & Watch*
R.O.B.*

Punch-Out!!:
Little Mac

Sin & Punishment:
Saki Amamiya

The Mysterious Mursame Castle:
Takamaru*

That is thirty-eight character slots with the following cuts:

Toon Link, Lucario, Lucas, Snake, and Sonic the Hedgehog. I personally don't care for Toon Link or Lucas much, Lucario has a decent chance of losing his spot (Although this does go down if Victini is playable, although does not keep him safe), and Snake and Sonic are third-party characters and they are not guarantee to return. I am only expecting eight newcomers, none of which are third-party characters.[/COLLAPSE]Don't get me wrong, this isn't me being pessimistic here. I for one can easily see the game getting 49 character slots (Random not included) without an universal roster and I predict 44 slots with no universal roster; this is just me lowering my expectations as much as I possibly can and I doubt that even with universal roster that I'll be disappointed.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Snidely Whiplash was popular enough to become an assist trophy, and he will never lose relevancy.

Ithra

Smash Rookie
Is there any love for Waluigi?

personally my thoughts on him and Toad is that to give them a move set you have to take from the sports and party game spin offs or just make up stuff that they've never done before in games. (we've seen waluigi do both of this from the assist trophy) and i don't think thats good enough to warrant a slot in the next game.

i'm sorry i know i'm gonna get alot of crap for not liking toad its just i have a hard time seeing him in smash. (and yes i saw the moveset that one guy made for him, its a nice try but still doesn't seem like its a good fit)

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
personally my thoughts on him and Toad is that to give them a move set you have to take from the sports and party game spin offs or just make up stuff that they've never done before in games. (we've seen waluigi do both of this from the assist trophy) and i don't think thats good enough to warrant a slot in the next game.

i'm sorry i know i'm gonna get alot of crap for not liking toad its just i have a hard time seeing him in smash. (and yes i saw the moveset that one guy made for him, its a nice try but still doesn't seem like its a good fit)
We've seen stuff like that happen in Smash games before. Prior to Smash 64, Falcon only drove cars. His entire moveset came out of nothing, and it has become a trademark of his character ever since.

The same could happen to Waluigi. He's certainly spastic enough to have plenty of interesting possibilities.

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
Toad has a lot more unique moveset potential than other candidates (such as Bowser Jr.) that would guarantee him to being a very unique character. Many have posted movesets for him that are completely natural to the character itself and the games that he was playable in. Peach barely had anything to work with during Melee, but we saw her getting a full fledged moveset that even required Toad to be a part of it (she had little movset potential before). If Peach, Zelda, and even ROB can fight in Smash, so can Toad (just look at SMB 2, and NSMB Wii if you want mainstream experiences).

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm taking it that you completely hate Waluigi.
Not really but I'm really against the idea that he would even be suggested, he isn't deserving enough nor has he appeared on any significant Mario game, much less even played a role of some sort, a character such as Waluigi isn't worthy to be an "All-Star" alongside Wario and such IMO.

:phone:

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Not really but I'm really against the idea that he would even be suggested, he isn't deserving enough nor has he appeared on any significant Mario game, much less even played a role of some sort, a character such as Waluigi isn't worthy to be an "All-Star" alongside Wario and such IMO.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Toad has a lot more unique moveset potential than other candidates (such as Bowser Jr.) that would guarantee him to being a very unique character.
That's a big no.

Also Waluigi is usually only suggested by people who just don't know any better. "Well we have Mario, Luigi, and Wario, so Waluigi is only the next logical step. :D" Bunch'a silly gooses.

D

Deleted member

Regarding Waluigi, he is a purely spin-off character and I don't think we need purely spin-off characters in Smash. Not really what I consider Nintendo All-Star material when Bowser Jr., Toad, and Paper Mario fits that so much more.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Wawoods for Sm4sh.

I guess he'd be like Normal Tiger Woods only he sucks at Golf and is faithful to his wife?

@nLiM8d: No, he speaks as though he has stuffed two full-grown beavers in his cheeks.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Response to SSBF's Medusa bit, as I'm too lazy to copypaste on an iTouch.

Sakurai adds all characters in the first month of development, only making exceptions for extremely popular characters, such as Sonic in Brawl. I doubt Medusa will be popular enough to add this fall, before Uprising is released, or to be added in last minute, after her game. Medusa was a no-name until this E3, with her being on virtually no rosters or wishlists prior, although quiet supporters probably existed.

I stand by Sakurai's bias behind her biggest asset to become playable, although no one can reasonably predict what he will do. However, while it is not, I'm willing to bet he'll treat Kid Icarus content as his, considering 99% of new inclusions from the series will likely be from his game, Uprising.

Anyways, Waluigi has slim to no chance of appearing. He's one of the quintessential ATs, if you ask me, and his moveset would be entirely derived from spawning generic sports gear out of hammerspace, which Toad and Mii would likely do instead.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I know I'm late to the party on many topics, but I want to address some.

@Megaman/UMvC3: I wouldn't chalk his exclusion as being part of Capcom's supposed hatred for him as much as Nitsuma and his teams laziness in adding him. Can't wait to see Phoenix Wright! And Strider Hiryu!!! Too bad Hayato isn't in, since MvC2 I always wanted to play a Strider/Zero/Hayato team.

Today I learned and have heard rumblings that many within Capcom USA are upset about what has happened with Legends 3. But the decisions are coming from the Japanese offices so their hands are tied. So the problem is coming from the executives in Japan. Megaman isn't without his supporters within the company over seas. Yoshinori Ono picked Megaman as the number one Capcom character (after him M. Bison) he'd add to the next Smash Bros. Saying he fit best with the Nintendo theme, this coming from the man currently over the Street Fighter series. So it isn't as though he has become the target of a mass conspiracy. Just bad timing and bad PR handling. I don't believe Megaman is really as affected by this as previously.

@Black Knight: Many of you seem to be overlooking one very important character, Roy. If we are going to see any additional Fire Emblem in the next game it will be a revamped, returning Roy. He has one advantage going for him, he can have his cake and eat it too. Because he wasn't in Brawl and returns retooled it will be hardpressed for some unfamiliar to not see him as a "newcomer", yet he also has the excitement of being a returning character.

Really I don't see any other option for Fire Emblem but Roy. It makes too much sense in every way.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
I like Waluigi, he can be quite funny if portrayed properly as his spastic, erratic persona can allow? Do I think he deserves to be in Smash?

... Probably not. However, he does have appeal to everyone who's played mario party, sluggers, etc. So, it's not out of the realm of possibility. Bear in mind, it was he that made it as an assist trophy over Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario. He COULD be the dark horse who makes it in. I could see that happening.

Kantrip

Kantplay
SSBF Challenge, because it sounded like fun.

1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Bowser
4. Peach
5. <Toad, Bowser Junior, or Paper Mario>

6. Yoshi

7. Wario

8. Donkey Kong
9. Diddy <maybe with Dixie> Kong
10. K. Rool

11. Link
12. Zelda/Sheik