• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's not even a productive thread. At least we can be assured that this forum will never get as bad as GameFAQs.

Continuing my dive into that forum.

And there are people seriously thinking Ashley is going to be in SSB4? Ridiculous if I say so myself. Even Kat & Ana have a better chance at being playable and I see no Wario rep happening in SSB4.
Yeah, Wario is pretty much on his own.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah...

I'm at least having fun coming up with a moveset for Slime over there. So not everything is worthless over there. Luckily the announcement of Fortune Street has boosted the Dragon Quest discussion a bit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeLjlVutUM0
Slime is personally one of the few third-party characters that I actually think deserves a spot in Smash Bros. Dragon Quest has a very long history with Nintendo, and lately Slime has been appearing several titles with Mario, with Fortune Street being the latest example.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening, especially if "Sakurai is too dumb." If he thinks Ridley can't be resized, what makes you think that he would think that a character with no limbs could work. He comments on Mr. Saturn not being a choice for a playable character due him not having arms. However, I think Slime's gelatinous nature can make him produce temporary limbs for grabbing. Then again he can probable "swallow" an oppoent for his grabs and spit them out in a certain direction as part of his throws.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Slime is personally one of the few third-party characters that I actually think deserves a spot in Smash Bros. Dragon Quest has a very long history with Nintendo, and lately Slime has been appearing several titles with Mario, with Fortune Street being the latest example.

Unfortunately, I don't see it happening, especially if "Sakurai is too dumb." If he thinks Ridley can't be resized, what makes you think that he would think that a character with no limbs could work. He comments on Mr. Saturn not being a choice for a playable character due him not having arms. However, I think Slime's gelatinous nature can make him produce temporary limbs for grabbing. Then again he can probable "swallow" an oppoent for his grabs and spit them out in a certain direction as part of his throws.
Well actually over at Gamefaqs we have a pretty good WIP movelist going, especially for his Smash attacks which honestly are the only difficult aspect of him. Carrying items won't be a problem as Slimes have been shown to carry objects over their bodie's. As far as swinging items such as bats go, it is as simple as spinning it's body. Grabs, I always envisioned the Slime "wrapping" the opponent, think Shuma Gorath's Chaos Dimension.

But normally I would agree with the limb part, but the vary composition of Slime itself, the fact he could logically (logically in a game that is) have other Slimes support him in an attack or two, and has magical properties. This all give Slime a better shot than most
other suggestions I've seen on Gamefaqs.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

Well actually over at Gamefaqs we have a pretty good WIP movelist going, especially for his Smash attacks which honestly are the only difficult part with him. Carrying items won't be a problem as Slime's usually carry objects over their heads. As far as swinging things go it is as simply as spinning it's body. Grabs I always envisioned the Slime "wrapping" the opponent, think Shuma Gorath's Chaos Dimension.

But normally I would agree with the limb part; but the very composition of Slime itself, the fact he could logically (logically in a game that is) have other Slimes support him in an attack or two, and has magical properties. This all give Slime a better shot than most other suggestions I've seen on Gamefaqs.

User33

Smash Journeyman
I am going to withdraw from GameFAQs for a while. I just don't hope the idiots win out and convince everyone to support their inanity (examples of this are when Ashley suddenly became a popular choice).

Here is an example of an idiot likening himself to be a genius.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/59400263

I really wish Iwata had not announced Smash 4. We will now have to deal with a year of full-on idiocy with nothing to go on.
Do you plan on posting your future essays in this topic then?

D

Deleted member

I'd actually be incredibly surprised if a generic Dragon Quest enemy got in over a protagonists, but at this rate, Slime is pretty much the third-party character from Dragon Quest who's chances aren't darn near impossible, although I still doubt we'll see any rep.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Do you plan on posting your future essays in this topic then?
No. I don't plan on posting any future essays at GameFAQs for a while considering that essay pretty much got bombarded with "lol too big", despite that argument being torn to pieces in the essay proper.

I probably won't be posting another essay at GameFAQs until late July at the earliest.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'd actually be incredibly surprised if a generic Dragon Quest enemy got in over a protagonists, but at this rate, Slime is pretty much the third-party character from Dragon Quest who's chances aren't darn near impossible, although I still doubt we'll see any rep.
If Slime is generic so is Pikachu, Slime is the mascot of the Dragon Quest series. Why do you think it's face is always splattered (no pun intended) everywhere? Heck, it is the fourth most popular video game character of all time in Japan according to Famitsu! If you need a specific one use Rocket from the Rocket Slime series.

Again; Fortune Street, Nintendo publishing and expanding the series in the West, new Rocket Slime 2 for 3DS, Mario Sports Mix appearance, etc...

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I am going to withdraw from GameFAQs for a while. I just don't hope the idiots win out and convince everyone to support their inanity (examples of this are when Ashley suddenly became a popular choice).

I really wish Iwata had not announced Smash 4. We will now have to deal with a year of full-on idiocy with nothing to go on.
I was reading the thread and I think in the Fire emblem group they should have lyn and eliwood.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I wonder if they will let your mii be playable. He would have moves from various wii sports games and you can change the colors of his shirts (for team battles). The reason I want this is because it will be the closest I'll get to getting Captain N the Gamemaster in Smash.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
I wonder if they will let your mii be playable. He would have moves from various wii sports games and you can change the colors of his shirts (for team battles). The reason I want this is because it will be the closest I'll get to getting Captain N the Gamemaster in Smash.
Adding to your comment, the game should give you the option to import your Mii character and the announcer should say "Mii". The height and weight would be adjusted to the default height and weight, except for the head (since that would screw up the hitbox). Imagine playing yourself in the game :D. That would be hilarous :D

D

Deleted member

If Slime is generic so is Pikachu, Slime is the mascot of the Dragon Quest series. Why do you think it's face is always splattered (no pun intended) everywhere? Heck, it is the fourth most popular video game character of all time in Japan according to Famitsu! If you need a specific one use Rocket from the Rocket Slime series.

Again; Fortune Street, Nintendo publishing and expanding the series in the West, new Rocket Slime 2 for 3DS, Mario Sports Mix appearance, etc...
There's a major difference. Pikachu is a first-party character, Slime is a third-party character. As such, Nintendo will probably look at major protagonists before even considering characters that are in general, generic.

That's not to say he would be a bad character, just not a likely third-party character. Also, while the Dragon Quest series have been generally popular on Nintendo's consoles, there's also Square Enix to deal with and aside from Dragon Quest, they're not exactly the most pro-Nintendo company.

D

Deleted member

I'm back...
...Back into Pokemon and character relevance? o_O
Nope, we're currently discussing the stupidity of IGN and GameFAQs. We're also discussing third-party characters.

Earlier on, we were discussing online features and how to improve the CPU.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
There's a major difference. Pikachu is a first-party character, Slime is a third-party character. As such, Nintendo will probably look at major protagonists before even considering characters that are in general, generic.

That's not to say he would be a bad character, just not a likely third-party character. Also, while the Dragon Quest series have been generally popular on Nintendo's consoles, there's also Square Enix to deal with and aside from Dragon Quest, they're not exactly the most pro-Nintendo company.
First party third party makes no difference to the argument, you said he was a generic enemy, I refuted that by stating he is the series mascot similarly to Pikachu.

Actually you are incorrect about that, SquareEnix has had a relatively decent relationship. Plus, in all my ramblings do remember something, Nintendo (Satoru Iwata) has a vested interest in the Dragon Quest series. I've explained why I believe that is, but honestly only they do. At least when it comes to this series, SquareEnix and Nintendo seem very chummy at the moment. Heck Masahiro Sakurai did an interview with the producer from Dragon Quest IX, to make it even more relevant.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Im surprised you guys are talking about the troll topics there. If they bother you guys that much, get into another hobby or something.

:phone:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Im surprised you guys are talking about the troll topics there. If they bother you guys that much, get into another hobby or something.

:phone:
We aren't anymore, at least I'm not. I found my little oasis in the dry desert of stupid over at Gamefaqs in the Slime moveset workshop that a few of us guys are working on. Once it is complete I'll share it over here.

Super Smash Bros. Fan said:
Like I said before, I doubt Toad will make it into SSB4 and I think Bowser Jr. will come in instead.
How can you say that? Toad had more major roles than Bowser Jr. plus he appeared in the many Mario spin-offs and games. Don't even think of saying he's Peach's neutral B. That's easily replaceable with Toadsworth.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Adding to your comment, the game should give you the option to import your Mii character and the announcer should say "Mii". The height and weight would be adjusted to the default height and weight, except for the head (since that would screw up the hitbox). Imagine playing yourself in the game :D. That would be hilarous :D
That would be great and now you can play your Mii in the New Super Mario Bros. Wii U It is certainly possible.

I know during Brawl discussion I thought it was ridiculous to have a Mii as playable but now I really like the idea.

refugee

Smash Journeyman
Each character has its own qualities that makes it special. I should point out the similarities between Mewtwo/Lucario and Roy/Ike too. Therefore, your argument is invalid.
No I'm not talking moveset wise I'm talking about the "characters" themselves. Dr. mario is just Mario in a damn doctor suit for example. That's like saying when you put on new clothes you have literally change your entire identity and have become a new person. That's what I am saying is stupid.

User33

Smash Journeyman
No. I don't plan on posting any future essays at GameFAQs for a while considering that essay pretty much got bombarded with "lol too big", despite that argument being torn to pieces in the essay proper.

I probably won't be posting another essay at GameFAQs until late July at the earliest.
Going back to your essay, I would actually have to agree with you that Ridley is the only major character from an "A-list" franchise that we haven't seen yet. Looking at the 10 newcomers I believe are most likely:

Paper Mario, Ridley, Victini, Little Mac, Takamaru, Isaac, Medusa, Stafy, Megaman

Only Paper Mario really comes close (and Megaman, but he's third party and shouldn't really count).

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Going back to your essay, I would actually have to agree with you that Ridley is the only major character from an "A-list" franchise that we haven't seen yet. Looking at the 10 newcomers I believe are most likely:

Paper Mario, Ridley, Victini, Little Mac, Takamaru, Isaac, Medusa, Stafy, Megaman

Only Paper Mario really comes close (and Megaman, but he's third party and shouldn't really count).
While I would definitely prefer Paper Mario over Bowser Jr., please do explain why you think that he is so much more likely than Toad and Bowser Jr.?

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
How can you say that? Toad had more major roles than Bowser Jr. plus he appeared in the many Mario spin-offs and games. Don't even think of saying he's Peach's neutral B. That's easily replaceable with Toadsworth.
Why does it have to be Toadsworth? I mean there are many toads and one is playable and the other is Peach's meat shield.

I really like the effort you put into developing him though I have a different strategy. I would like to see Toad as a grappling character since it's his main fighting style in SMB2 and Wario Woods. Also he could do it in Mario Wii.

For the people who don't know the Toad character is the captain of Peach's guard (mention in SMB2 booklet) and he does appear in many other games in the same way Yoshi does.

refugee

Smash Journeyman

Wait, why the **** is Dragonite on that list? Then again, don't tell me. I don't want to know why. I'll just try to think happy thoughts and forget I saw such a awful choice.

Why does it have to be Toadsworth? I mean there are many toads and one is playable and the other is Peach's meat shield.

I really like the effort you put into developing him though I have a different strategy. I would like to see Toad as a grappling character since it's his main fighting style in SMB2 and Wario Woods. Also he could do it in Mario Wii.

For the people who don't know the Toad character is the captain of Peach's guard (mention in SMB2 booklet) and he does appear in many other games in the same way Yoshi does.
Maybe it's because he tries to protect her :D

But yeah, maybe some other Toads would work better.

Toad's forward throw should be like Donkey Kong's? I also don't want to give Toad a chain grab.

User33

Smash Journeyman
While I would definitely prefer Paper Mario over Bowser Jr., please do explain why you think that he is so much more likely than Toad and Bowser Jr.?
I actually did forget Bowser Jr. You'll notice that I unintentionally posted 9 characters instead of 10. Although I don't think that both Bowser Jr and Paper Mario will get in.

As for Toad, I just feel that if Sakurai thought he had potential as a character he would have put him in either Melee or Brawl. His character hasn't really evolved since then, and if anything has gotten more generic over the years.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Wait, why the **** is Dragonite on that list? Then again, don't tell me. I don't want to know why. I'll just try to think happy thoughts and forget I saw such a awful choice.
Because he's an idiot.

/10easyanswers

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Maybe it's because he tries to protect her :D

But yeah, maybe some other Toads would work better.

Forward throw should be like Donkey Kong's? I don't want to give Toad a chain grab :c
No no, no chain grabs. That was a glitch that should be fixed. But yeah Toad can pick up people and carry them like DK. Also a guy here Zap Tackle gave an idea for a grab special that allows you to grab people in the air.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
No no, no chain grabs. That was a glitch that should be fixed. But yeah Toad can pick up people and carry them like DK. Also a guy here Zap Tackle gave an idea for a grab special that allows you to grab people in the air.
Chain grabs aren't glitches, lol. And DK can chaingrab.

Maybe that should be his default grab. He can grab both mid air and on ground. The problem is the grab range.
I can see Toad as playable, now that they've given him a playable role in the latest mario games.

I just hope they went back to his old N64 voice rather than the "screeching chicken" they've been using lately.

More of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYx34GpuRlo

Not this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ4_PEBDk-c
I like the sound of Toad 64 screaming

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH xD

Edit: Update in moveset

D

Deleted member

@User33: Interested to see why you think Takamaru and Paper Mario come in your list among the most likely newcomers? Would be great to see them both in the game.
We already have one generic Mario rep in the game (If you count subseries) and that's Yoshi, we don't need a second one. Also, if he hasn't been considered as a playable character in Melee and Brawl, he'll probably remain as a special moveset. I've said more then enough on this matter.
refugee said:
Even worse is this roster: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/59406825

No Luigi, Marth, Jigglypuff, or Ness, thinking that Toad and Bowser Jr. together are realistic while also including Funky Kong, Yarn Kirby (WTF?), too many new Pokemons, putting Mewtwo as a starter, removing Falco and Wolf for Krystal, too many Kid Icarus rep, lack of Saki and Ray MK II, and a ridiculous third-party selection when only about six third-party characters have more then 20% chance of being playable (I kid you not, he put in Venom), and you have one terrible roster. I actually went into that roster and pointed out all the flaws in regards to it (I'm Limelight788 on the forum).

Based off that, I'm not expecting many realistic people on this forum.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Bowser Jr. is playable, keep his cartoonish voice. I don't care if people despise it, because he wouldn't sound right with realistic animal cries; think about Yoshi. Bowser is understandable, but not so much his son.

PF9

Smash Lord
Jill Valentine would be a great addition to the Smash roster. Her FS could be a zombie rampage. I'd also love to see Machamp in the game. Machamp is a strong Fighting Pokemon - needs to be in.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I would be okay with CGs but only if they're DI dependent like Melee. It's ****ing stupid when you can just do it over and over without even trying.

Chain grabs aren't glitches, lol. And DK can chaingrab.
They're an exploit of some type of DI I can't remember.

edit: Jill and Machamp... wow...

PF9

Smash Lord
If Bowser Jr. is playable, keep his cartoonish voice. I don't care if people despise it, because he wouldn't sound right with realistic animal cries; think about Yoshi. Bowser is understandable, but not so much his son.
Come to think of it...I think Charizard's voice sounded more realistic than its anime voice

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Even worse is this roster: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/59406825

No Luigi, Marth, Jigglypuff, or Ness, thinking that Toad and Bowser Jr. together are realistic while also including Funky Kong, Yarn Kirby (WTF?), too many new Pokemons, putting Mewtwo as a starter, removing Falco and Wolf for Krystal, too many Kid Icarus rep, lack of Saki and Ray MK II, and a ridiculous third-party selection when only about six third-party characters have more then 20% chance of being playable (I kid you not, he put in Venom), and you have one terrible roster. I actually went into that roster and pointed out all the flaws in regards to it (I'm Limelight788 on the forum).

Based off that, I'm not expecting many realistic people here.
I always loved those roster. I don't know, they have a sense of innocence and hope in them, they really put alot of work in them... Well, that ones that aren't trolls at least. Kinda sucks that many people just bash them because it's not what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom