• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Why are people considering Ninten and Mega Man.Exe? Last I checked, Ninten was nearly the same as Ness, minus going on acid trips with surfboard tables, psychics, and little dudes with a bow and a string of hair! XD Mother 1 and MMBN3 are great games, although Mother 1 is ridiculously hard. I got like 2/3rd through it before beating it. I don't know why I stopped... >.>

And kudos to whoever brought up Bad Fur Day. Despite some of its' stupidity and immaturity, it was an enjoyable game.

Also, I thought nearly everyone agreed the 22 characters that were in Melee and Brawl were a shoe in for all future Smash Bros console games. I guess there are still those who believe Young/Toon Link and Falco are too similar to their counterparts (although both play completely different in Brawl, and will probably be even more so in future Smash Bros. game).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It wasn't just the fact that it was M Rated. Nintendo hated Conker's Bad Furday with a passion and it led to the eventual split of Rare and Nintendo. Conker was originally gonna be another generic 3D platformer where Conker was a cute and innocent squirrel who collected nuts and had animal helpers etc. However, being the crazy Brits that they are(and probably to stick it to the overcontrolling Nintendo), they scrapped that for the M Rated adventure that is still one of my favorite games of all time. Nintendo's childish image was tarnished, especially aided by the misleading marketing campaign(they constantly called him a "foul mouthed squirrel" even though he curses like once in the entire game and it's only "****"). After that, they worked on a game called Dinosaur Planet for like 4 years which was going to be an enormous Zelda style open world adventure game which would star the first version of Krystal. However, Miyamoto wanted a Starfox game for the Gamecube, and Nintendo's own attempts at one were failing miserably, so to get back at Rare for Conker they forced them to scrap everything they had and slap together a half ***** and mediocre Starfox game with the scraps. Of course this destroyed the relations with the 2 companies and Rare was bought by Microsoft, robbing Smash of Banjo and Kazooie for all time. Anyways, my point is that it has nothing to do with it being an M game, Nintendo are just a bunch of ****s.

Wow, I wasn't expecting to write all that... I spose being a former Rare mega fanboy has its downsides.

:phone:
If only Conker 64 was child-friendly. That might've kept Rare in a good relationship with Nintendo. Funny how one heavily violent title can ruin a relationship.

And the irony is, Nintendo actually has made some rather gruesome titles as well; Eternal Darkness easily comes to mind.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
Why are people considering Ninten and Mega Man.Exe? Last I checked, Ninten was nearly the same as Ness, minus going on acid trips with surfboard tables, psychics, and little dudes with a bow and a string of hair! XD Mother 1 and MMBN3 are great games, although Mother 1 is ridiculously hard. I got like 2/3rd through it before beating it. I don't know why I stopped... >.>
Yeah, Jeff, Poo, Flint or even the Masked Man are better choices for a 3rd character from Mother. Maybe they only choose Ninten because he is a protagonist and Mother 1 has no representation (stickers don't count).

About Megaman.EXE, it's Capcom's choice. There is a rumor that Megaman Starforce will join a "Super" version of MvC3, so, no one knows what is in Capcom's minds.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Although I believe you're referring to Pilotwings 64, StarPhoenix made this Pilotwings Resort stage.

Wuhu Island
So many things...

1.- That stage is beautiful, and I love the concept of it being a more relaxing take on Venom.

2.- I meant PilotWings in general... but dang.. now that you mention it Crescent Island would've been great too (if you catch my drift, I'm sure).

3.- I love this stage idea so much it makes me all fuzzy inside...

4.- I could, sadly, not picture an island stage such as this, without my favorite Nintendo hero in it. :p

5.- Wuhu Island reminds me a lot to the first island of Pilot Wings 64. I can see this stage totally happening, though.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yeah, Jeff, Poo, Flint or even the Masked Man are better choices for a 3rd character from Mother. Maybe they only choose Ninten because he is a protagonist and Mother 1 has no representation (stickers don't count).

About Megaman.EXE, it's Capcom's choice. There is a rumor that Megaman Starforce will join a "Super" version of MvC3, so, no one knows what is in Capcom's minds.
Just looked up Starforce, he looks really stupid

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
If only Conker 64 was child-friendly. That might've kept Rare in a good relationship with Nintendo. Funny how one heavily violent title can ruin a relationship.

And the irony is, Nintendo actually has made some rather gruesome titles as well; Eternal Darkness easily comes to mind.
Man, I wish Nintendo would have made that decision around 2002, by then Banjo-Kazooie would at least shown up in Melee. :p

Too bad for Banjo though, but isn't it weird how he supposedly appeared on a Nintendo handheld?

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
Also, Battle Network is now dead.
The ending in MMBN 6 makes sure that it is the last one.

For a Megaman representation, Classic, Starforce and Volnutt(MM Legends) are my bets.
Also, Volnutt appeared in Tatsunoko vs Capcom and he has a upcoming game for 3DS.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
So many things...

1.- That stage is beautiful, and I love the concept of it being a more relaxing take on Venom.

2.- I meant PilotWings in general... but dang.. now that you mention it Crescent Island would've been great too (if you catch my drift, I'm sure).

3.- I love this stage idea so much it makes me all fuzzy inside...

4.- I could, sadly, not picture an island stage such as this, without my favorite Nintendo hero in it. :p

5.- Wuhu Island reminds me a lot to the first island of Pilot Wings 64. I can see this stage totally happening, though.
Yep, I catch your drift. Personally, I was thinking more 64 States Island (or whatever that island was called) over Crescent Island.

Honestly, I think this stage would be a perfect choice for SSB4; you get representation for both the Pilotwings franchise and Miis. It's go along well with Smashville (whether the Smashville in SSB4, if any, is a new version or not).

I mostly would support Ninten if we had another Mother rep because, as you said, he would finally give Mother 1 the representation it should get when Mothers 2 and 3 have been represented.

But Mother doesn't need a new series rep in the first place.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Conker was family-friendly... on Diddy Kong Racing. (good racing game!) He's so cute for an alcoholic, perverted, suicidal squirrel. I just hope he isn't the squirrel my cat killed, gutted, and left at my front door. :awesome:

I don't think Mother needs anymore representation, and that's coming from a huge Mother fan. I beat a boss named Barf, after all! :laugh: Sakurai kept Ness cuz' we all love him and so does he, and he added Lucas because he was original enough to add something new to the series without being a Ness clone (yes, they are nearly completely different!). Ninten really couldn't add anything to the table without being a clone, really, or putting in an effort for a more deserving character. If every game in a series represented gets a character, we'd have 2,000 Mario reps.

I don't see why he shouldn't be an alternate outfit though. Really, I don't see why the smash bros development team is too lazy to do what other fighting games have done for a decade with alternate outfits and customizable outfits. I want to fight with Mario wearing Waluigi's clothes, a scuba mask, and tie dye pants brah!

Why would Nintendo have Mega Man.Exe in smash over the classic Mega Man? His series ended half a decade ago, and it wasn't that popular (says the fanboy who beat every game). Mega Man Starforce would, IMO, be terrible. Nearly every casual gamer knows only the classic Mega Man, and he's the run away most popular. It's a Nintendo game, and I'm pretty sure if Capcom wants to have some other Mega Man, Nintendo can sway them otherwise. They're the ones paying the bills after all. Star Force can be an AT or alterate outfit or something if they really want him.

Also, a Wave Race stage would be epic. I loved that game. Imagine fighting on that dolphin, lol! You know what would also be an epic "wtf?" stage like that one sound stage in Brawl? (which I've probably only played like 10 times) Friggen Nintendogs! :chuckle:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well Megaman classic is perhaps the 2nd character to have more appearances on a Nintendo system after Mario/Luigi/Toad/Peach. Megaman Volnutt has nothing on him. :p

I don't dislike Volnutt, though. I find him pretty cool. But it's about bloody time for a 3D render of classic Megaman already!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Omega
Everyone who's anyone wishes Banjo could've made an appearance. I remember a few years ago that Rare said their handheld production division was bigger than their console production division). He could make an appearance on the 3Ds version. It's possible, but not probable. Don't bet on it like I bet on Diddy Kong in Brawl! :laugh:

OmegaXXII

@ Omega
Everyone who's anyone wishes Banjo could've made an appearance. I remember a few years ago that Rare said their handheld production division was bigger than their console production division). He could make an appearance on the 3Ds version. It's possible, but not probable. Don't bet on it like I bet on Diddy Kong in Brawl! :laugh:
This is one of the reasons why I think Banjo-Kazooie at least stands a chance for the 3DS version, Microsoft isn't competing in the handheld market at the time, so it shouldn't bother them in any way, the only thing that's most likely to get him in at this point is popularity and whther or not Sakurai is even willing to work with such a developer which I really have my doubts about, Rare would have to listen to it's fans or beg like Kojima did.

I must say it would be a genius move for Sakurai to include him as an exclusive, non-tranferable character for the 3DS, sales would skyrocket if such a wanted character was exclusive.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
@ Omega
Had Nintendo bought Rare instead of selling them to Microsoft, Banjo+Kazooie would have been in Brawl without a shadow of a doubt. That is completely undebatable. Isn't fate cruel?

Edit: I'm sorry, any character that is completely exclusive to thhe 3DS version is a wasted character who shouldn't even be added in the first place.

OmegaXXII

Well would you rather see Banjo on the 3DS or not at all?

I am really agaisnt universal rosters, both versions shouldn't have to be exactly the same, character differences aren't going to be the same due to Single player modes and such taking more of the 3DS space.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Well would you rather see Banjo on the 3DS or not at all?

I am really agaisnt universal rosters, both versions shouldn't have to be exactly the same, character differences aren't going to be the same due to Single player modes and such taking more of the 3DS space.

I mean, think of it this way.

"OH BOY! I CAN FINALLY PLAY BANJO... against computers, hunched over a tiny screen... What's the point of a character if you can't play them in the true Smash fashion?

I'm against both rosters being the same top if the 3DS can't handle 50 characters. However, that's why there should be WiiU exclusives and that's it. The WiiU one is the true real sequel while the 3DS will be nothing more than a gimmick.

OmegaXXII

I do hope that a universal roster is implemented.
Why so? If anything that would be a bad move for Nintendo, let's face it, if Sakurai can only put so many character on the 3DS, let's say 45 characters maximum; do you honestly want that for the Wii-U as well when it is clearly capable of handling more?

IMO, that would be a waste of unused space, I'd rather get exclusive on the Wii-U seeing it's the mainstream, multiplayer game everyone is anticipated to play, it would be dumb for Sakurai to put such limitations when he could clearly add more characters.

Plus it's more sales on their part, having exclusives for both the 3DS and Wii-U would certaintly boost the sales of both platforms even though the Wii-U is the one most likely to sell the most.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There's always the compression methods. The data for the Wii U version can always be adjusted for the 3DS version.

For one example, the textures for the 3DS version can be restricted to using only the CMPR texture format, which uses 4 bits per pixel.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Don't also forget that the 3DS has a lower resolution than the WiiU (I'm guessing SmashU won't be more than 720p).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Had Nintendo bought Rare instead of selling them to Microsoft, Banjo+Kazooie would have been in Brawl without a shadow of a doubt. That is completely undebatable. Isn't fate cruel?

Edit: I'm sorry, any character that is completely exclusive to thhe 3DS version is a wasted character who shouldn't even be added in the first place.

I totally agree. He could've even been in Melee. Heck, if he had not been in Brawl there would've been riots so bad, everyone on smashboards would require a flame shield! :laugh:

However, I must disagree with you on your last point. It wouldn’t be a total waste, because hackers would find a way! (yeah!) That or they’d add it as DLC! ;)

In hackers we trust! :grin:

This is one of the reasons why I think Banjo-Kazooie at least stands a chance for the 3DS version, Microsoft isn't competing in the handheld market at the time, so it shouldn't bother them in any way, the only thing that's most likely to get him in at this point is popularity and whther or not Sakurai is even willing to work with such a developer which I really have my doubts about, Rare would have to listen to it's fans or beg like Kojima did.

I must say it would be a genius move for Sakurai to include him as an exclusive, non-tranferable character for the 3DS, sales would skyrocket if such a wanted character was exclusive.
Nintendo could make money off Banjo, Microsoft and Rare would make money off Banjo. Nintendo would celebrate their history, and they would also please many longtime fans. Seriously… who would lose in this deal?

Having Banjo as a (temporary) exclusive character would be great for Smash Bros 3DS (or as I call it, portable Irish drunken bar fight in space)… until DLC came out a year afterwards for him on the Wii U version! :D

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If I've read the interviews correctly, according to Reggie, they're planning on making both versions inter-playable (hope I get the term across).

So, if both versions can play against each other, they have to share the roster. If either version has exclusives, and they can still fight against other version's exclusive characters, it means both versions HAVE those characters, but not all of them are playable on one version alone.

That would be a far worse insult than that of the Trial games..

OmegaXXII

There's always the compression methods. The data for the Wii U version can always be adjusted for the 3DS version.

For one example, the textures for the 3DS version can be restricted to using only the CMPR texture format, which uses 4 bits per pixel.
Well when you put it that way it kinda makes sense, but I'm against the idea of the universal roster idea, even if the 3DS is in lower resolution, Im guessing maybe 480, I still believe things like cinematics, SSE modes, nit to mention online will probably take a large portion of it's memory, hence limiting what it can do.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
If I've read the interviews correctly, according to Reggie, they're planning on making both versions inter-playable (hope I get the term across).

So, if both versions can play against each other, they have to share the roster. If either version has exclusives, and they can still fight against other version's exclusive characters, it means both versions HAVE those characters, but not all of them are playable on one version alone.

That would be a far worse insult than that of the Trial games..
Who is Reggie?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like the idea of having console exclusive characters... if they release DLC for them on at least the Wii U version later. I think if they're smart business-wise that's what they'll do (or if they can only get the rights to a character for one game or another).

Still, I'll bet there's gonna be at least a couple exclusive stages, or that you need to own the copy of both to transfer from one to the other, and you'd only be allowed to do it once or twice kind of thingy. That would make sense from a players and business standpoint.

I also imagine the gameplay is going to be fairly different on each console.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Well when you put it that way it kinda makes sense, but I'm against the idea of the universal roster idea, even if the 3DS is in lower resolution, Im guessing maybe 480, I still believe things like cinematics, SSE modes, nit to mention online will probably take a large portion of it's memory, hence limiting what it can do.

At least the video files will probably use a lot less memory on the 3DS, due to the reduced quality.

Anyway, only time will tell if the roster will be universal or not.

OmegaXXII

I like the idea of having console exclusive characters... if they release DLC for them on at least the Wii U version later. I think if they're smart business-wise that's what they'll do (or if they can only get the rights to a character for one game or another).

Still, I'll bet there's gonna be at least a couple exclusive stages, or that you need to own the copy of both to transfer from one to the other, and you'd only be allowed to do it once or twice kind of thingy. That would make sense from a players and business standpoint.

I also imagine the gameplay is going to be fairly different on each console.
I totally agree with the concept of having characters as DLC, it would offer alot more plus can be offered if fans requested a certain character after Smash 4's release like Slime for example.

It's really a no lose situation for both the fans and Nintendo, we of course would be getting past stages, characters, music themes, alt. costumes etc.. While Nintendo on the other hand racks up sales from DLC and would greatly benefit from it for a game as big as Smash. There is no excuse this time around since the Wii-U is a more powerful system; maybe even more than the PS3.

@shin: I thought everybody knew lol...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I totally agree with the concept of having characters as DLC, it would offer alot more plus can be offered if fans requested a certain character after Smash 4's release like Slime for example.

It's really a no lose situation for both the fans and Nintendo, we of course would be getting past stages, characters, music themes, alt. costumes etc.. While Nintendo on the other hand racks up sales from DLC and would greatly benefit from it for a game as big as Smash. There is no excuse this time around since the Wii-U is a more powerful system; maybe even more than the PS3.
DLC offers the chance for Nintendo to have temporary console exclusive characters, the ability to keep adding maps (imagine-every SSB64, Melee, and Brawl map! :psycho: That would make me soooooo happy), and the ability to make more money, improve online, and maybe even fix glitches (ie: the Meta Knight infinite cape glitch, various edge glitches that have been common in Melee and Brawl, TRIPPING!) It also would allow SSB 3DS to have the ability to save stuff on the system as well as the cartridge, allowing Nintendo to keep adding content on instead of being limited by the cartridge memory.

Not just can this make Nintendo more money, but it can allow them to not make a smash bros game for years to come, especially with two games. The only people who lose in this deal are people without money (or parents with money! :laugh:) for DLC.

Nintendo can wait for new ideas to come. Nintendo can take their time. If Nintendo can make two individual and unique games with awesome DLC, good online, competitive and casual friendly features, gameplay, and modes, and good character balance (w/ many playable stages for competitive play), then Nintendo won’t need to make another smash bros games until the end of their next console life (although revealing these two games is probably an indication that there will be 4-6 smash bros games from the time the time SSB Wii U and 3DS come up to a decade after that).

Also, the graphics from the demos look way better than the PS3’s on the Wii U. I hope it supports Blu Ray, and runs on Blu Ray discs instead of regular CDs. Really, the Wii U should be more powerful than any console that came out half a decade ago. There really is no excuse for it not to blow the PS3 out of the park. It should be the dawn of the eighth generation of gaming, instead of just another “usual” prolonged extension of the seventh generation of gaming.

Hey, did anyone else notice U rhymes with 2? :laugh:

Edit: Awesome data Oasis. That proves my point that the 3DS can handle more character data. Although I do wonder about how much data it would take to add stages and different types of added features one could add through DLC…

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
All you guys wanting DLC are gonna be *****ing about it when it comes out.

And instead of DLC, do a Super Smash Brothers 4+ or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom