• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Back to the Ridley arguments. I personally feel he's better as a boss than a playable character. A smaller Ridley wouldn't seem right with him. I know it's possible and I wouldn't care if they did do that with him but personally I liked him as a boss.
I respect your opinion. If Ridley was a boss in SSB4 and not playable, however, then Dark Samus better get in to take the spot that should be Ridley's, because Metroid needs a second rep at this point.

He could be both like Bowser was in Melee.
This is perfect. His normal form could be him as a playable character, while he could take on his Omega Ridley form as an Adventure Mode boss.

@JavaCroc: I think this along with Brawl shows that Sakurai takes requests seriously. Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, and Marth were all highly requested and got added into SSBM. Wario, Diddy Kong, Pokemon Trainer, King Dedede, Meta-Knight, Olimar, and Sonic were all highly requested characters that got into SSBB, of which all Olimar made the polls in Melee. Sonic wasn't highly requested at the time, but obviously, popularity for his inclusion expanded explosively once Snake got in. Only highly requested Melee character not in Brawl yet is Toad, although unlike the other I mention below, I thought his popularity was small in Brawl (I don't remember seeing any requests for Toad at the time).

I think this shows that Sakurai looks at polls from past games and tries to apply characters into the next one based off highly demanded characters from the last game. Here's a list of characters IIRC that were highly requested at the time that did not make it into the game:

Mega Man, Ridley, King K. Rool, Bowser Jr., Krystal, and Geno. The first four definitely continues to have strong support to this date and to lesser extend, I still see Krystal and Geno getting requests for SSB4. Based off this pool, I can easily see the first four get into SSB4. Maybe Krystal if we get a 50+ slot roster, but I doubt we'll be seeing that many characters. Combine that with ones that gained a lot of popularity for SSB4 like Little Mac, Saki, Zoroark/Victini/Genesect, Toad/Paper Mario, Medusa, Takamaru, and Isaac and I think that popularity, while definitely not the sole factor, as with past installments, will contribute to quite a few characters inclusion.
Popularity definitely comes into play when choosing a character: that's why a character like Tingle could be a bad choice, given his hate fanbase here in the U.S.

Hopefully the inevitable SSB4 poll that Sakurai creates will be worldwide this time.

Wave Race

Do it

As for Rare I remember reading somewhere when someone asked Chris about it, but they had some trophies and the Cloaking Device being from Perfect Dark lined up for Melee and of course with the impending Microsoft buyout, all of their trophies and the PD reference were removed. If Rare was still with Nintendo they would have pushed for Banko-Kazooie and Joanna Dark as characters.

Sad, but that's the way things are :/
If Rare was still part of Nintendo, we would absolutely have Banjo-Kazooie in at least Brawl if not Melee, as well as one or two more reps (can't think of any good ones though, considering that Conker would never make it into Smash Bros. after his N64 game).

IMO, if somehow Nintendo could get the rights to Banjo-Kazooie for SSB4, I would absolutely add him to the game; considering the history of Rare with Nintendo and without, he would completely deserving.

Taken in context you would realize I said in the condition RARE was still owned by Nintendo, which it isn't. Conker went awkwardly lewd shortly into the end of the N64's lifespan, so true, even if they'd stayed, who knows.
That's exactly why I doubt Conker would have ever gotten into an SSB game. If he did, he would be a simple trophy that avoids all reference to Bad Fur Day.

Toad can't be in SBB because he is used in peach's special.
:glare:
How about we swap Toadsworth or Toadette in with Toad and wow, Toad can be playable now! Or maybe even swap in an item from Super Mario Bros. like a Bob-Omb (for explosive counter damage) or an Item Box from Mario Kart?

People don't really see him that way, anti-Toad supporters usually only seen him as a generic, scared Toad as seen in Melee's adventure mode, which isn't much to go by if you are trying to argue his inclusion.
Completely true. The only anti-Toad supporters are those ignorant of his significane in the Mario series and who can't think of an easy solution for Peach's neutral B.

The amount of pony avatars on this forum are starting to tempt me into seeing this show.

MUST... RESIST... TEMPTATION!!!

...Or should I not?

So I kind of stayed up all night working on this. I'm hoping it proves that Ridley can definitely work in Smash without being "too big" or "too awkward."

MAINLY, his head is just smaller (His head is often about the same length as his body). His wings are small, but that's how they always are in the 2D games so this shouldn't be a surprise. Also I kind of balls'd it up at showing DEPTH, so keep in mind his wings are SORT OF perpendicular to the screen, so really they'd look larger in 3D. PLUS, like Charizard and Pit, his wings can grow while in use (Seriously, their wings do that in Brawl. Just noticed. lol). Now, you may think his tail is too short, but what you may or may not know is that in the 2D games (and now a 3D game thanks to Other M) Ridley's tail stretches. Because of its ability to extend, it doesn't have to be all that long to being with.

The text in the image shows my goals for Ridley's proportions. Can't exceed Bowser's total height, his head can't go higher than Ganondorf's, and he should be eye level with Samus. As a bonus, he's not even as wide as Bowser! Keep in mind that his tail and wings (for the most part) wouldn't have a hitbox while idle, so they don't cause him to be THAT huge of a target.

So yeah, I hope everyone is alright with that. Personally, I think he looks fine this way (I may be a TAD biased though). I guess if one were to think he still just looks "off" or "not right" then it just can't be helped. u3u

I thought I would create a properly scaled Ridley first, then illustrate a moveset, BUT IT TOOK ME LONG ENOUGH JUST TO MAKE THIS ONE IMAGE OF RIDLEY, so I guess I'll just type it up, lolol. u3u

Ridley for Smash!
Awesome diagram. This should be shown to all the anti-Ridley people out there.

Personally, I think he actually should be a little bigger and taller. He could have an outstanding mix of strength and mobility - but his biggest fault would be his large size, which can make him an easy target.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
It's got Beedrill, so I approve.

EDIT:

Actually, Lucario Pichu and Mewtwo as Pokeball item would be a slap to the face to their fans. So either playable, or not playable at all. No Pokeball, if you ask me.
Are you a fan of Beedrill? Cool!, Ah, I do not want to see characters outside of smash, so why not hold them up as pokes or AT?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It wasn't just the fact that it was M Rated. Nintendo hated Conker's Bad Furday with a passion and it led to the eventual split of Rare and Nintendo.
Wait what? Got a link to where you heard that?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
That diagram looks pretty badass!

Last time I hated Ridley.

But this year *movie trailer voice* one man... will support a space dragon.

And that diagram makes it easier to imagine how he would work in-game.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
You have 1 too many mario characters, drop ninten, add another link incarnation, switch zoroark for victini, and IMO it needs more bomberman but I understand why you didn't add him

:phone:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
What do you think of Aisya?

She is the protagonist of ASH, and has potential!
What game is she from?

Also remove Waluigi, if you are trying to create a wishlist roster that's fine, but if it's realistic; it won't happen

Also, add Megaman, he's deserving enough and remove Krystal or Falco and that Ness clone.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Also, add Megaman, he's deserving enough and remove Krystal or Falco and that Ness clone.:phone:
If you did not notice Megaman is on the list, and NINTEN not have anything in common with NESS, exept the appearance, he is the protagonist of the Mother 1, he applies the PKs are completely different of the Paula, Poo and Kumatora.

Getting rid of Falco? Da **** outta here with that. He needs to stay.
Exactly! Why removing the Falco? would be like removing Diddy!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I see there's Ninten, but Megaman Battle Network is ... ñeeh...

I can accept the new Zelda villain if he replaces Toon Link, I can live with that definitely.

I'm not sure on Team Rocket either. Don't get me wrong, I love those guys. It's the only reason why I watch Pokemon from time to time. But having another "trainer" character is overkill in my eyes. One pokemon character for the worth of three is a lot as it is. Having another one would cramp his style. :D

OmegaXXII

FUUUU!!, out of anybody, I certainty don't need to start an argument over Falco, or do I? :awesome:

Xblis: Be convincing, enlighten me!!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
FUUUU!!, out of anybody, I certainty don't need to start an argument over Falco, or do I? :awesome:

Xblis: Be convincing, enlighten me!!

Falco's been in two games so far and he's been high tiered in both Melee and Brawl. Removing him at this point would result in massive backlash.

OmegaXXII

Completely true. The only anti-Toad supporters are those ignorant of his significane in the Mario series and who can't think of an easy solution for Peach's neutral B.

The amount of pony avatars on this forum are starting to tempt me into seeing this show.

MUST... RESIST... TEMPTATION!!!

...Or should I not? .
Agreed, only people who've never really played any of his major games and have only seen him as Peach's Neutral B would say that, it's a weak argumen tif you ask me.

And what's up with Bad Fur Day being avoided?, was it that violent?

And yea...don't hold your curiousity over ponies back, I did but in the end I just gave into it, it's a great show if you like Fauster Home of Imaginery Friends or Looney Tunes.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
And what's up with Bad Fur Day being avoided?, was it that violent?
It was violent. It also had drinking, sex, lots, adn I mean LOTS of cursing, and stupid immature **** you would never see in games bad then.

It's a great game. lol

And yea...don't hold your curiousity over ponies back, I did but in the end I just gave into it, it's a great show if you like Fauster Home of Imaginery Friends or Looney Tunes.
Ponies are gay.

OmegaXXII

It was violent. It also had drinking, sex, lots, adn I mean LOTS of cursing, and stupid immature **** you would never see in games bad then.

It's a great game. lol
It was? I'm even more shocked that Nintendo even approved a game with such content seeing they were all family oriented and all.

I need to play sometime.:/

Ponies are gay.
No, no they are not. :glare:

Check out the show lol...

OmegaXXII

Falco's been in two games so far and he's been high tiered in both Melee and Brawl. Removing him at this point would result in massive backlash.
Maybe so, the way I see it though is that Falco isn't part of the original 12 so he doesn't exactly have full priority as opposed to a character like Fox or Captain Falcon.

Also, IMO he already plays too sinar to Fox, we don't need him IF Sakurai were to bring luigified clones again, but that's not to say he is, Krystal on the other hand is less popular BUT would offer more uniqueness when it comes to movesets and playability.

Sure if Sakurai somehow diverses him from Fox and manages to modify his moveset a little more then I have no problem, Sora also needs to give both Wolf and Falco their own Final Smash, it made them look unoriginal likes clones.

I have. Tis gay.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They re-released it on the original Xbox, but don't get that one. It censors everything. The original is soooooo much better.
Funny it's not censored on Nintendo, but it's too much for Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom