• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Must i post this? i will anyway... for greater justice!

augustoflores said:
Whoa Whoa WHOA!!!

TRIVIA
Mario creater, Shigeru Miyamoto, has stated that Pac-Man is his favorite video game character.
Pac-Man and Mario share a huge rivalry. The names however have a big comparisson as Mario was originally known as "Jumpman" sounding similar to "Pac-Man".

sigh... Pacman for..... smsh~... PACMAN FOR SMASH!!!

[COLLAPSE="Taken from PacMan's Wikia page"]Abilities

Pac-Man has different abilities on his own and from Power Ups found in the Pac-Man World games.

Butt Bounce

This attack can be used by jumping with the X button, then pressing it again while in air. There is a rare power-up where if the player touches it, Pac-Man gains the ability to do a Super Butt Bounce where if the player does the control for a normal butt bounce, a huge explosion will occur and any enemies in a certain radius will be terminated. It can only be used once per power-up.

Rev Roll

Pac-Man will run in place at a high speed and releasing the button will have him roll into a ball in any direction in which he is pointed. Using the Rev Roll on a ramp will send him high into the air. It can be used to destroy most enemies.

Pac-Dot Shoot

If Pac-Man has at least one Pac-Dot he can shoot one from his hand like a bullet and damage enemies.

Super Pac-Dot Shoot

This attack is a stronger form of the previous attack. To use this attack, hold down the O button and Pac-Man will do the exact same thing, except he will spin around and then shoot a huge blast of Pac-Dots from his hand. There is also a requirement for this attack. Pac-Man must have at least 10 Pac-Dots to use it.

Swim

If Pac-Man enters water, he instantly floats on the water. To go underwater, press and hold the triangle button. To go back to the surface, press and hold the X button. Pac-Man can do a dolphin flip if you jump out of the water while holding the X button.

Flip Kick

By jumping in the air, and pressing the Square or X buttons, Pac-Man jumps in the air, and flips with his foot extended. This can be used to smash high up boxes.

Steel Body

Using the Steel Ball Power Up, Pac-Man's body will become steel and he can't hardly be damaged. He can stand on fire and walk across lava.

Tiny Pac/Shrink Pellet

Using the Shrink Pellet Pac-Man will shrink in size and will be able to go through small doors. But enemies can squish him like a bug. Pac-Man is very good at using this ability. It is very uncommon for him to be attacked when he is very small.

In Pac-Man World 3

In this game, the Butt Bounce, the Rev Roll and the Flip Kick are also used.

Punch

Using the O or B button, Pac-Man can punch at enemies.

Electro Shock

With the Electro-Shock Power Pellet, Pac-Man can also perform an Electric Shock with the same button command. Pac-Man will be able to shoot electricity from his hands and can damage or stun enemies.

Triple Butt Bounce

If you hit the X or A button 4 times, Pac-Man will preform a Triple Butt Bounce. A small shockwave comes out of Pac-Man. It can kill up to 2 enemies at a time.[/COLLAPSE]

make a moveset, he's gonna be in this game.
so yeah john, i went onboard the pacman bandwagon before you got a chance to

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well I assume now that Tekken X Street Fighter will be on the WiiU, especially since Namco Bandai's fighting game developers are working on smash bros. on said console! :laugh:

Also, did I miss any Tales/Tekken/SoulCalibur fanboys' yesterday=??? Because there is literally no chance we'll get any such characters in smash bros over Pac-Man.

Edit: Good to see you were smart to be on the Pac-Man bandwagon like Metal and I.

Also, if Pac-Man is playable in smash, he would be a welcomed addition. He's probably the biggest gaming icon not playable in smash bros.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's what they said about Megaman being in MvC3 and look how that turned out.

Sorry, but I find Pac-Man boring as Brawl. Most of those moves mentioned remind of moves already in Smash and don't even strike me as OMG COOL.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm glad that Namco Bandai is working on these 2 forthcoming smash bros. games, because they know how to balance fighting games. Finally we get a company that has worked on fighting games before, and know how to balance them! :grin:

Also, I hope Namco Bandai does some shameless plugs of SoulCalibur, Tekken, and the Tales (specifically Tales of Symphonia) series. Trophies, stickers, and whatnot.

@ Kuma
I'm sure Namco Bandai can think of a unique moveset for Pac-Man. And if they can't, GOD (aka Shigeru Miyamoto) will know how to.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
This is great news about Namco/Bandai helping out. I was all excited, and read through the 15 or so pages I missed, and then saw a Ridley size argument...

Either way, I'm excited. This is pretty big news.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
yeah... the last few pages were bunk

and yes we got that already but it's nice to see it again; the tweet only mentions his surprise in seeing Pit as number 1.
why the bloody hell is waluigi there? damn japanese...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Sol
That is old jazz from some random magazine. Sakurai was surprised Pit was the #1 character.
It's not as much hate for him personally as it is strong disagreement with his new philosophy.
You mean the philosophy that Smash Bros. should be like a platformer (and other genres) mixed in with a fighting game=??? That and the guy who invented basically every technique in smash bros. and balanced everything on his own=??? Because no offense, but I doubt anyone would be balance a game with 39 characters as well on their own as Sakurai did.

Also, what new philosophy=??? Sakurai (in Brawl) was trying to make the learning curve easier to conquer. He failed because he didn't have HAL Laboratories, and he had a rookie staff (none of whom had worked on a fighting game before). If you want to see what Game Arts, Brawl's primary developer look like without Sakurai, play TNMT Smash.

This is why y'all shouldn't speak out of your bootie without doing some research. *points at Sakurai's presentation at the 2008 Video Game Developers' Conference*

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Which I'm still confused about because in the magazine I bought. Mario wax number 1. Maybe Sakurai has mad photoshop skills?

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ august
Sadly, Waluigi has tainted fanbases everywhere... unless it's a "who do you want to see in Mario Kart 8" poll! :troll:

@ Venus
Maybe you bought the wrong edition (as in perhaps from the wrong month)=???

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but I find Pac-Man boring as Brawl. Most of those moves mentioned remind of moves already in Smash and don't even strike me as OMG COOL.
Does
  • Causing matresses to appear above people
  • Blowing people with a super hot hair dryer stream
  • Using voodoo dolls
  • Taking peoples photos
Sound interesting?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Does
  • Causing matresses to appear above people
  • Blowing people with a super hot hair dryer stream
  • Using voodoo dolls
  • Taking peoples photos
Sound interesting?
Yes. It's just that the moves mentioned for Pac-Man remind me so much of the moves already in Smash. It's like Zoroark. Does Pac-Man have anything that sticks out for him that is applicable to a fighting game, especially Smash?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Also, I know this was briefly touched up on, but from what I've heard from friends, SoulCalibur V has one of the most lag-less online gameplay for a fighting game ever. Hopefully that transfers over to Smash WiiU and Smash 3DS. In other words, it might actually be reasonable to expect the OPPOSITE of Brawl's online! :laugh: :cool: :grin:

Edit: Hopefully Snoop Dogg isn't the announcer of Smash Bros. Wi U and Smash 3DS like he is in Tekken Tag Tournament 2! :chuckle:

deuxhero

Smash Journeyman
Yes. It's just that the moves mentioned for Pac-Man remind me so much of the moves already in Smash. It's like Zoroark. Does Pac-Man have anything that sticks out for him that is applicable to a fighting game, especially Smash?
They aren't Pac-Man moves, they are some of the things Kalas can do.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I will say that the first and fourth ones remind me of Peacock and Frank West.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
yeah... the last few pages were bunk

and yes we got that already but it's nice to see it again; the tweet only mentions his surprise in seeing Pit as number 1.
why the bloody hell is waluigi there? damn japanese...
It is odd though it is strange considering the case of how Sakurai and Venus of the Desert Bloom had different magazines.

Then again Waluigi wasn't on the other magazine poll results (that VotDB has), but rather Toad was on it, so I'm curious as to which to believe more. :awesome: (though both magazine polls likely mean very little to the Smash Bros. roster).

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That does sound interesting, but doesn't sound like someone who is trying to KO you.

Not that I am hating on Pac-Man, he is definitely one of the most iconic characters of all time and would fit. Just please, no mecha.

Yes yes, we get it Johnknight, you think you're smart.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I like how when I'm reading everything from yesterday in this thread, most of the smart stuff is stuff I have said before as proof of my points.

I guess being here in the pre-Brawl days made me smart and to know what to look for. That and being left-handed! :grin:

Although to be fair, I don't think I mentioned Namco as a primary developer (although I felt possibly pre-Brawl that there was a chance were the primary developer).

Hoots

Can Be Combative
@ august
Sadly, Waluigi has tainted fanbases everywhere... unless it's a "who do you want to see in Mario Kart 8" poll! :troll:
Waluigi is popular for one reason. Most boring kids with super generic tastes (like 70% of Nintendo's demographic) love playing the "sinister" anti-hero type. However, they would never DREAM of playing as a fat guy. He is Mario's version of Shadow, as pathetic as that is... Baffling, ain't it?

Also, Pacman is super uninteresting no matter how you slice him. The only way you can make him playable is by grasping at straws ridiculously and essentially making up stuff that was never in any of his actually memorable games. I WILL concede that his chances have skyrocketed (as much as it makes me ****ing weep to do so), but no one can possibly say that Pacman is interesting, at least more interesting than all the other third parties that could be added. They had to give him a mech SFxT. That is all.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
DeuxHero
i'm pretty sure Kuma was referring to this list of moves
[COLLAPSE="Taken from PacMan's Wikia page"]Abilities

Pac-Man has different abilities on his own and from Power Ups found in the Pac-Man World games.

Butt Bounce

This attack can be used by jumping with the X button, then pressing it again while in air. There is a rare power-up where if the player touches it, Pac-Man gains the ability to do a Super Butt Bounce where if the player does the control for a normal butt bounce, a huge explosion will occur and any enemies in a certain radius will be terminated. It can only be used once per power-up.

Rev Roll

Pac-Man will run in place at a high speed and releasing the button will have him roll into a ball in any direction in which he is pointed. Using the Rev Roll on a ramp will send him high into the air. It can be used to destroy most enemies.

Pac-Dot Shoot

If Pac-Man has at least one Pac-Dot he can shoot one from his hand like a bullet and damage enemies.

Super Pac-Dot Shoot

This attack is a stronger form of the previous attack. To use this attack, hold down the O button and Pac-Man will do the exact same thing, except he will spin around and then shoot a huge blast of Pac-Dots from his hand. There is also a requirement for this attack. Pac-Man must have at least 10 Pac-Dots to use it.

Swim

If Pac-Man enters water, he instantly floats on the water. To go underwater, press and hold the triangle button. To go back to the surface, press and hold the X button. Pac-Man can do a dolphin flip if you jump out of the water while holding the X button.

Flip Kick

By jumping in the air, and pressing the Square or X buttons, Pac-Man jumps in the air, and flips with his foot extended. This can be used to smash high up boxes.

Steel Body

Using the Steel Ball Power Up, Pac-Man's body will become steel and he can't hardly be damaged. He can stand on fire and walk across lava.

Tiny Pac/Shrink Pellet

Using the Shrink Pellet Pac-Man will shrink in size and will be able to go through small doors. But enemies can squish him like a bug. Pac-Man is very good at using this ability. It is very uncommon for him to be attacked when he is very small.

In Pac-Man World 3

In this game, the Butt Bounce, the Rev Roll and the Flip Kick are also used.

Punch

Using the O or B button, Pac-Man can punch at enemies.

Electro Shock

With the Electro-Shock Power Pellet, Pac-Man can also perform an Electric Shock with the same button command. Pac-Man will be able to shoot electricity from his hands and can damage or stun enemies.

Triple Butt Bounce

If you hit the X or A button 4 times, Pac-Man will preform a Triple Butt Bounce. A small shockwave comes out of Pac-Man. It can kill up to 2 enemies at a time.[/COLLAPSE]
and yes, being left handed makes you cooler

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Hoots
I find most Waluigi fans want him to finish off the "Mario Four" or whatever of Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi. That and because he is a familiar face... or they like him (in his roles) in the Mario spin-off games, and want more of him. Personally, if Waluigi had more of a developer personality and a role in a few canon Mario/Luigi/Wario games (or his own series), I wouldn't mind Waluigi at all in smash bros.

But as it stands, I give him a "No" for appearing playable in smash. Although I must admit, I kinda like him in the Mario spin-off games for whatever reason! :laugh:
Hope namco makes the new Smash Bros WiiU technical its most likely :3
Melee!
Hopefully, without being needlessly technical (press A, B, C stick, and L+R to walk!). :laugh: Also, this is 2 smash bros. games Nine, not one! DOUBLE HYPE! ;) At the very least, though, at least it takes pressure off of Sakurai to balance everything on his own. Now Sakurai isn't the only person who knows anything about balancing! And now we can get these games with more quality, content, and whatnot quicker, and more efficiently, especially if Game Arts (and the 2 other Brawl developers) and HAL Laboratories are on board.

And even if they do fail, well... now we got modding experience in our community! :grin:

Edit: If Capcom is involved in balancing or helping on this game, I got dibs on being the 1st person here to call it! :shades:

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
Also, I know this was briefly touched up on, but from what I've heard from friends, SoulCalibur V has one of the most lag-less online gameplay for a fighting game ever. Hopefully that transfers over to Smash WiiU and Smash 3DS. In other words, it might actually be reasonable to expect the OPPOSITE of Brawl's online! :laugh: :cool: :grin:
As someone who plays Soul Calibur V I can vouch for that, it does have some pretty sexy online gameplay.

Hopefully they can help the Smash Series out in that category.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I don't think Pac-Man was given a mech so he would be more interesting. I mean just look at Megaman in that game, they didn't put that version of him to make him more interesting. And if they did, then they are clearly poor judges to do with these characters.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
With Pac-Man appearing with a mecha, at least it leaves a bit of a surprise to how he could appear in Smash Bros.
As someone who plays Soul Calibur V I can vouch for that, it does have some pretty sexy online gameplay.

Hopefully they can help the Smash Series out in that category.
The WiiU's sexy online helps. And yeah, I've seen the SoulCalibur V online, and it looks amazing. I played the PSP SoulCalibur game (my girlfriend has it; my brother hogs it!), :laugh: and man, that one had incredible online. It's fast, simple, and has loads of depth and content. That in smash + 8th Generation Gaming consoles = SUCCESS!!! :)

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Mario Four? oh god!! another algorithm.
I have to deal with the Original 12 of SSB when considering Jigglypuff (and by extention, Ness, but that's another story)
The Mario Big 8, all 8 racers from Super Mario 64 used to consider Toad as "needed"
The Forbidden 7 when accounting for, well, anyone within that group.
and now the Mario 4?

(sexy online gameplay? i take it you've seen the penises?)
as for PacMan's Mech in SFxTK, Capcom don't know how to make megaman into a good fighter character(like i do) so they got nothing on PacMan... it's lazy work.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Metal, august, and I are the original Pac-Man 3. :cool: Maybe I'm forgetting someone, though! :laugh: But yeah, we're driving this hype train all the way into Smash 3DS and WiiU! :)

@ august
Capcom knows how to balance fighting games probably as good as or better anyone else (with loads of characters). Street Fighter II and III are proof of it. However, I feel Capcom will play more of an advisory role, and help add a lot of Mega Man content (since I think Mega Man is all but confirmed).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Waluigi is popular for one reason. Most boring kids with super generic tastes (like 70% of Nintendo's demographic) love playing the "sinister" anti-hero type. However, they would never DREAM of playing as a fat guy. He is Mario's version of Shadow, as pathetic as that is... Baffling, ain't it?
Actually, that would apply to the majority of most American demographics. We, as a whole, have ****ty tastes. Why else do Ryu and Ken remain so popular?

vicgur

Smash Ace
Good character, bad character, it doesn't matter.
Pac Man is a huge character and a huge gaming icon.
Even a non-gamer idiot knows who he is. He is as iconic as Mario, if not more than him.

*speaks in Colonel voice* He is THAT famous

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Good character, bad character, it doesn't matter.
Pac Man is a huge character and a huge gaming icon.
Even a non-gamer idiot knows who he is. He is as iconic as Mario, if not more than him.

*speaks in Colonel voice* He is THAT famous
I don't care if Pac-Man is the Jesus of videogames (that goes to Mario). If he's boring as ****, he's boring as ****.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Kuma
Truth be told, every smash fanbases have bad tastes. Japan wants anime characters (in smash), we want comic book characters (in smash). Other than that, pretty much every good and bad idea overlaps everywhere. Still, our opinions on their opinions is just opinions (as for Pac-Man, your opinion is your opinion as well).

@ vicgur
Exactly. Pac-Man, according to some polls, is more recognizable than Mario, Sonic, and Pikachu! :psycho:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
While I doubt he would make it in, I would love it if Klonoa made the roster. Too bad he's not popular enough to be an Namco Bandai rep if they do add one.
I don't think Pac-Man was given a mech so he would be more interesting. I mean just look at Megaman in that game, they didn't put that version of him to make him more interesting. And if they did, then they are clearly poor judges to do with these characters.
That's exactly why they put in BBA Mega Man. Ono asked if they could put Mega Man in and Inafune said that putting standard Mega Man would be boring and that's it's been done before. After proposing BBA Mega Man, Inafune liked the idea and gave the okay.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
So... does that mean we all agree that Pac-Man is gonna be playable=???

I'm not willing to call Pac-Man a "shoe-in" or even a "near shoe-in" quite yet, but IMO he's pretty dang close to that.

Edit: Nevermind, I change my mind; he's a shoe-in.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
And why exactly is Pacman considered boring? A lot of the other characters we actually have that we dare not say are boring receive less or the same amount of things to use for movesets. If you actually think about that, you'll know this is true.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
@ august

@ Venus
Maybe you bought the wrong edition (as in perhaps from the wrong month)=???
Mine is the newest July issue. Maybe Sakurai has a August issue early :/

:phone:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Actually, that would apply to the majority of most American demographics. We, as a whole, have ****ty tastes. Why else do Ryu and Ken remain so popular?
That's what I mean. Every demographic literally nuts over the generic "badass" anti-hero. Shadow, Vegeta, Meta Knight, etc. That explains the popularity of a lot of characters, and as far from 'badass' as Waluigi is, it's the closest thing Mario has to one.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Namco addition to Smash is really interesting news. I'm really hoping Namco brings some of that online sexy we saw in SC5. For all that games faults, it did online probably better than any other fighting game thus far. I wonder just how much Namco is going to contribute to the new title. Sakurai did mention that for the first time he'll let other people balance the game for him... I'm just not sure if I want that to be Namco or not.

And I bet this clinches Pacman as one of the 3rd party characters.
*olds news but*... Panda, what's happenin=??

For balancing, it will probably be HAL Laboratories (if they're involved) and of course Namco. Maybe another advisory company, like perhaps SEGA (don't know why) or Capcom (since I think Mega Man is a shoe-in). Judging by how the balancing of Brawl probably drove Sakurai mad (along with Melee's fast paced "let's balance late adds quickly act), Sakurai is probably pleased with these additions. It will allow him to rely on his strengths as a unique game designer.

But for reals, I find this and that SEGA-Capcom-Namco crossover to be curiously timed. Perhaps this may be a sign that Sonic is back, and more proof we're getting Pac-Man and Mega Man=???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom