• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
You could say the same for Luigi, but of course, that's silly. Your last two sentences are full of bias and tip your hand.
It's a bit amusing you think I'm biased to Bowser Jr., when I actually really don't like the character. I'm just pointing out in the spectrum of Mario importance, Bowser Jr. > Toad. Luigi also has his own series now, Luigi's Mansion.

Except a Goomba has never been a playable character in a Mario platformer.
That was more in reference to how generic Waddle Dee is.

It's funny you list characters that have either already been rejected by Sakurai, or have little to no chance at all. If you need some inspiration for Mach Rider, watch this.

Although Takamaru is probably next up for the abandoned NES franchise team anyways, so this argument is really moot.
Just because they've been rejected once, doesn't mean they will be so indefinitely. I also stand by Mach Rider being a worse option than essentially all those characters. I agree Takamaru has "next retro character" on a lock-down, though.

Representation does not work the way you think it does.
:awesome:

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
Mario doesn't have a huge mushroom on his head though lol
It worked in NSMB Wii / NSMB U / SMB2 (USA) / others I've probably forgotten about.

BY THE WAY, where are all these new guys coming from that want Sukapon...

It's depressing.
I don't really want Sukapon that much, but my Sukapon want outweights my Mach Rider want. My secret most wanted retro character is one of either Mike Jones, Lip, or Prince Sable, but none of them stand a chance. :(

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think your idea of "Important" is both over emphasized and extremely inaccurate. Most of your reasoning didn't really move past "He sucks", and when it did, it wasn't very good. You also believe in things like "Overrepped" or, this silly idea that slots are numbered. You seem to not realize that things like fan service, is what Smash is essentially about. A lot of it was really just your opinion poorly hidden behind some sort of "actual reasoning". Long story short, you need to brush up both your Nintendo history, and break out of thinking like a Smash speculator, because Sakurai sure doesn't.

If you want to argue against/for something, at least TRY to put some effort into it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Over representation is a thing though, you know. But only Mario and Pokemon really need to worry about that.

Except not Mario because Toad is really the only good choice for that series.

And I feel like I need to pull a Habanero and let it be known that Sukapon is absolutely not happening.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
It's a bit amusing you think I'm biased to Bowser Jr., when I actually really don't like the character. I'm just pointing out in the spectrum of Mario importance, Bowser Jr. > Toad.

That was more in reference to how generic Waddle Dee is.

Just because they've been rejected once, doesn't mean they will be so indefinitely. I also stand by Mach Rider being a worse option than essentially all those characters. I agree Takamaru has "next retro character" on a lock-down, though.

:awesome:
I'd only let Bowser Jr. in if they included this Boss music from Yoshi's Island!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnkZ9PjXOQQ

In all honesty he would be fun to play as, but only if he has the paint brush and the face mask and just isnt a lighter weight clone of Bowser. Bowser Jr. and Waluigi > Toad and Daisy. Not that anyone mentioned Daisy but I just threw her in there to help out lil Toad.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Over representation is a thing though, you know. But only Mario and Pokemon really need to worry about that.

Except not Mario because Toad is really the only good choice for that series.
But, I wasn't ACTUALLY over representing any series. Even if I kept Lucario, I still would be safe I'm sure. Which, is where his problems lie.

Ok, though I do agree that Ghiriham is kinda overrated.
I wouldn't consider him OVERRATED, so much as just a well received character who has really, little chances of being added. I think most realize that Ghirahim isn't very likely, but still want him to be playable. I mean, heck, I would rather have Tingle and Ghirahim, and no Toon Link. Such a loser.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
I think your idea of "Important" is both over emphasized and extremely inaccurate. Most of your reasoning didn't really move past "He sucks", and when it did, it wasn't very good. You also believe in things like "Overrepped" or, this silly idea that slots are numbered. You seem to not realize that things like fan service, is what Smash is essentially about. A lot of it was really just your opinion poorly hidden behind some sort of "actual reasoning". Long story short, you need to brush up both your Nintendo history, and break out of thinking like a Smash speculator, because Sakurai sure doesn't.

If you want to argue against/for something, at least TRY to put some effort into it.
Woah, I made two distinctions. There are characters I think are poor (Krystal, Toad), and there are characters I think are unlikely, even if they are awesome (Porky). Don't confuse the two. Also, slots are numbered. To pretend otherwise is silly. Would you create a 100 character roster? No. Would you create an 80 character roster? No. There is a limit to the amount of characters; and, as such, adding a character creates an opportunity cost. Every character you add means there are characters you haven't added. If you're aiming for 60, and you add Mach Rider, you've reduced the amount of space available for, say, King K. Rool. That's factual.

Additionally, I'm fully aware that Smash is "fan service". But, it's not really fan service to us. If Smash was fan service to us, Brawl would not be floaty, tripping would not exist, and you would be able to turn stage hazards off. Smash is fan service to all Nintendo fans. That's not even all internet Nintendo fans, that's all Nintendo fans full stop, from seven year-olds who just bought their first Pokemon game to thirty year-old women who've bought Super Mario 3DLand thanks to that ridiculous advert featuring the one from Sex in the City. You are a minority voice; in the grand scheme of things you are not important. I'm not actually thinking like a Smash speculator. If I was, I'd add Roy and Pichu and Dr. Mario and other totally inconsequential characters that people outside of the Smash community don't give a damn about. I'm the one who is avoiding thinking like a Smash speculator, and thinking: hey, SSB4 is for all these other fans too, what would they want?

But hey, sure, brush off my reasoning without actually approaching it.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Deucalion said:
It worked in NSMB Wii / NSMB U / SMB2 (USA) / others I've probably forgotten about.
Toad doing Mario Cape would look weird

Sakurai said not to expect Sukapon in the future, though

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm getting too old to play with these kids.

/Goes to Tacobell

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
Toad doing Mario Cape would look weird
True. I could see work arounds - if the Cape was replaced by the similar Flying Squirrel from NSMBU.

Sakurai said not to expect Sukapon in the future, though
I know. That's a good thing, Sukapon's not exactly great either. Still better than Mach Rider.

Prince Sable and Lip are better than them all. :p

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
@AIM... you're giving Bowser's final boss music to his son? lol

@Oasis_S... weren't you one of the supporters of sukapon back in the halcyon days?
i mean, didn't you have a ridley and sukapon in a swimming pool with doughnut flotation devices as your sig?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
But hey, sure, brush off my reasoning without actually approaching it.
I brush it off, because if I stopped to show all the noobs how wrong they are, I wouldn't have any time to make fun of them with Oasis.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
How could you represent Tetris as a character? Lip, from Panel de Pon? But yes, that's a pretty conclusive list.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Tetris could go the route of Animal Crossing by being repp'd by a stage, an assist trophy (a large amount of tetris blocks!), music, and possibly trophies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
@Oasis_S... weren't you one of the supporters of sukapon back in the halcyon days?
i mean, didn't you have a ridley and sukapon in a swimming pool with doughnut flotation devices as your sig?
See, that's the thing. I dearly want Sukapon in Smash. But it's not happening. It's just not.

And I just hate seeing newbies with HOPE in their eyes. Heart breaking.

I just want to sit them down and explain everything to them.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Tetris could go the route of Animal Crossing by being repp'd by a stage, an assist trophy (a large amount of tetris blocks!), music, and possibly trophies.
Ah, yeah, I see. A tetris stage would be awesome. You know the level in the SNES Yoshi's Island where the boulder platforms slowly come down as you're trapped in the alley and you have to jump upwards? I imagine the tetris stage like that.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
ah yes... wanting someone in that will never be... i know that feel.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
and you would be able to turn stage hazards off.
just wanted to address this real Quick. in Smash, even if they had this feature, very little would change. Oh, Warioware would be legal, yeah, But New pork would still be banned for being huge, Temple would be banned for being Huge, Corneria would be banned for infinities, and so on. and I don't think you can really turn off Scrolling levels either, so they would still be CPs/banned. so in the end we'd get like 2 or3 legal stages. so in this game, not having the ability to turn hazards off is no big deal.

having said that,I'm curious of how Playstation All-Stars will translate that, since you can turn hazards off there.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I have a lot of those kind of "want them, but they'll never get in" characters, especially these ones:

Riptor, the last one, hurts the most :(

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
@Metal

Stupid question...
Are you talking about Smash?

Shinobi 3 is a fun game... one of my favorite Mega Drive/Genesis games...
But who is that lizard thingy?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
LOL Warheart yes I am talking about Smash

Those two are a couple of characters I would love to see in Smash

While I'm at it, I might as well just mention Viewtiful Joe and Knuckles too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom