• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Huh. There's some conflicting things regarding character number.
Brawl's in-game Data says there are 35 characters (counting by slots), while Sakurai says there are 39 (counting by characters you can control sans Giga Bowser and Wario-Man).

So, let's say hypothetically, Sakurai's repeated mention of 50 actually holds some merit. Would it be 50 characters by slot, like how Brawl labels characters, or by characters you can control, like Sakurai labels them?
Hold on wait....When did Sakurai say theres going to be 50 characters? Wheter its counting Giga Bowser, Wario man etc. Either way I'd like to know where you got that info from?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He didn't say there would be 50 characters, he used the number 50 as an example of a roster he believed was too big

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hold on wait....When did Sakurai say theres going to be 50 characters? Wheter its counting Giga Bowser, Wario man etc. Either way I'd like to know where you got that info from?
He said he could increase the roster size to fifty, or double the stages, or improve the graphics, but now (with the Wii U) he didn't have to be limited to choosing only one of those things, although he didn't actually confirm he would be doing any of those things (though improved graphics is a given).

Source:
http://andriasang.com/comw97/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

I doubt we'll get less than 45 characters.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
Want me to convince you with video footage of Fire Emblem 6 (the game he stars) and my ideas for how he could be an original and unique character=??? :bee:
I've actually played a translated hack of Fuinn no Tsurugi many times, I'm a big Fire Emblem fan. It's a good game, although Seisen no Keifu, Thracia 776, and Rekka no Ken are all better. But no, my problem with Roy has nothing to do with whether his moveset is or isn't good, it has to do with the fact that it's impossible to justify picking him over any other long-gone Fire Emblem lord.

Definitely agree, Smash is about celebrating the diverse and rich history of Nintendo. But think about it, not only is Nintendo's history diverse, but so are Smash's ways of celebrating it. We not only have characters and stages to represent Nintendo history, but we also have Assist Trophies, items, trophies, stickers, Pokeballs, etc. to cover the vastness of Nintendo's history. While I get that you want to represent current generations in each game well, why not just try to represent it in every way you can instead of just building an entire character from the ground up just to serve that one purpose?
Characters are the most important part, the others are incidental. All of the "near misses" should probably become Assist Trophies, and the rest trophies or stickers, but I see those I listed as too important to be relegated to Assist Trophy status. The only exception really is Starfy; there's so little conflict in his games I could possibly see him being demoted not through lack of importance but lack of viability.

Fully agreed, eevn though I wouldn't mind seeing Skull Kid as a playable character in the future
Skull Kid would be cool, but yeah, can't see it happening.

Honestly, I would say Deoxys rather than Blaziken considering he at least had a starring role in the movie (Destiny Deoxys)
True, or Deoxys. My was just that it likely would have been a Hoenn Pokemon.

Gonna agree to disagree here.
Of course,

Well, what if people like playing as Marill? That should justify it staying even if it isn't "relevant" anymore in Pokemon or whatever
I disagree. This is why I disagree with those who want Roy, Pichu and Dr. Mario back. Smash should not become self-referential. It is designed to celebrate other Nintendo franchises, and if spots are reserved for characters who no longer mean anything to Nintendo or represent Nintendo purely because they did in the past, I see Smash is failing in what it is trying to do.

Very good point you make here, although I would argue that the main reason that Geno not or in this case, couldn't get into Brawl was because of legal issues.
Is that even true? He features briefly in the Mario & Luigi series.

Well, even if he was a clone, at least Roy is his own character overall, unlike Doc. And Pichu was just meant to be a one-time joke character; in other words, pretty much completely useless
Indeed. But every other character he could be replaced with could also be their own character overall.

As for Master Hand, I don't really like for bosses in fighting games to become playable, but yeah, probably should save that for another discussion
Strongly agreed. :)

Huh, I never actually heard that before
Actually, Golden has corrected me. The piece of trivia I was actually thinking of is that "Jigglypuff is one of the only Pokémon that is able to be caught in every main series game of every generation, including remakes and expansion games." Jigglypuff isn't just constant in Smash, she's also constant in Pokemon.

Okay, I think I'm really starting to understand where you're coming from now.

To be brutally honest, you're very correct, Roy doesn't really need to return; I really just want him back because I really enjoyed playing as him in Melee (plus, he would be luigified like all of the returning clones were in Brawl)
Yeah, he was a fun character; but if he doesn't need to return, there are others who do.

Okay, awesome then.
:)

But then that would just create a predictable cycle of those kind of characters being replaced for every single Smash game. Again, what's the point of putting a whole character as a playable character if you're just going to replace them with another character soon afterwards? And what if people actually like that character and they want they play? Cutting them would only piss off a lot of people, so it's better to just keep them
But I think it's a good thing that those characters are replaced each Smash game! Nintendo's real franchises change and alter, and characters rise and fall in importance. It's not a static picture, you're not important forever because you were important once. I think it's actually a good thing that some characters do not return; it stops Smash becoming self-referential and instead makes it reflective of Nintendo as whole. To me, I remember what it felt like playing SSBM, when I was younger. All those characters were the characters I grew up. Mewtwo was damn awesome because I knew that character, grew up with that character. Now think about SSB4, which will probably be released no earlier than 2014. Imagine a young kid of 14, who is going to play SSB4 for the first time. Will he have grown up with Roy? No. Roy won't have been the main character in a game for 12 years. Will he have grown up with Mewtwo? No. Mewtwo won't have been the most prominent character in a game for 10 years, and in the anime for 14 - since this kid was born! He'll be wanting Zoroark, the awesome Pokemon from the Pokemon game he has. He'll be wanting Krom, from the fantastic new Fire Emblem. If we reserve characters for our own generation, if we say "I grew up with Roy, we must keep Roy!" what we're doing is in turn denying the next generation from having the characters they grew up with, and to me, that's not a good thing. Just because us oldies and veterans like them, that doesn't make it a good thing. We're just a very vocal minority.

Nice, let me check it out now and I'll get back to you tomorrow with a response for it
Okay dokes. :)

He's wrong, Metal.
It was Clefairy, not Jigglypuff that was going to be the mascot.
Yeah, wrong piece of trivia. I realised that just after I posted it. The one I was thinking of was the fact the Jigglypuff is the only Pokemon you can catch in every single game. She's constant in Pokemon, not just Smash.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Aside from new characters, what new franchises do you think will be added into SSB4?

In Melee, we got Fire Emblem, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game and Watch.

In Brawl, we got Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, Wario, Sonic, Metal Gear, R.O.B., Electroplankton, and Nintendo DS.

What new franchises (with or without character rep) do you think will be added/do you want to see added.

Personally I would love to see Punch-Out!!, Tetris, Sin and Punishment, Golden Sun, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Advanced Wars, Xenoblade Chronicles, Nintendogs, Wii U, 3DS, and Custom Robo to be some of the newer franchises. Of those, though, I only see Punch-Out!!, Wii U, 3DS, and either Sin and Punishment/Golden Sun,/Xenoblade.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
How could you represent Tetris as a character? Lip, from Panel de Pon? But yes, that's a pretty conclusive list. The remaining important franchises with multiple games (so not one offs like Xenoblade) not to have representation are essentially Tetris, Punch-Out!!, Sin & Punishment, Golden Sun, Starfy, [title] Wars, Custom Robo, the Legendary Starfy and the Wii series. There's also a few smaller ones like Balloon Fighter, Dr. Mario if you consider it a separate series, Duck Hunt, Excite, the R.O.B. series (Stack-Up and Gyromite), Star Tropics, Pilotwings, Mario Kart if you consider it separate series, Metal Combat, Wave Race, 1080*, Paper Mario if you consider it a separate series, Brain series, Chibi-Robo!, Picross, Clu Clu Land, Rhythm, Elite Beat Agents, Fossil Fighters and Nintendogs. (don't think I've left any out, feel free to correct me if wrong).

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Aside from new characters, what new franchises do you think will be added into SSB4?

In Brawl, we got Kid Icarus, Animal Crossing, Wario, Sonic, Metal Gear, R.O.B., Electroplankton, and Nintendo DS.

What new franchises (with or without character rep) do you think will be added/do you want to see added.

Personally I would love to see Punch-Out!!, Tetris, Sin and Punishment, Golden Sun, For the Frog the Bell Tolls, Advanced Wars, Xenoblade Chronicles, Nintendogs, Wii U, 3DS, and Custom Robo to be some of the newer franchises. Of those, though, I only see Punch-Out!!, Wii U, 3DS, and either Sin and Punishment/Golden Sun,/Xenoblade.
Probably Xenoblade, Punch-Out, Rhythm Heaven and Mysterious Murasame Castle. Maybe one or two more, like either the Wii series or a classic character.

So far, Sakurai only adds characters from first party series (likely to avoid copyright trouble now and in the future), so I'd go with these over Golden Sun and Sin and Punishment.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Objectively? Punch-Out!!, Mysterious Murasame Castle, Wii Sports, Xenoblade Chronicles
Subjectivly? Duck Hunt, Legendary Starfy, Tingle, Mega Man, Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Golden Sun, Captain N
For stages? Pushmo, Ketzal's Corridors, Swapnote

D

Deleted member

Fossil Fighters? What is that, probably some lame failed IP th-

YO GET THIS IN MY SMASH
Yeah, that's what I'm talking 'bout!
Gimme some T-Rex action in Smash!

Probably Xenoblade, Punch-Out, Rhythm Heaven and Mysterious Murasame Castle. Maybe one or two more, like either the Wii series or a classic character.

So far, Sakurai only adds characters from first party series (likely to avoid copyright trouble now and in the future), so I'd go with these over Golden Sun and Sin and Punishment.

Doesn't Nintendo own the S&P IP, though, and Treasure just works on the games? Like how Nintendo owns Wario, but Treasure worked on Wario World?
I remember someone at Treasure saying that a new S&P (prior to Star Successor) was completely up to Nintendo.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Getting a second party franchise in Super Smash Bros doesn't seem nearly as hard as adding a third party character. The inclusion of Pokemon alone proves this, but there are others too that made an appearance like Golden Sun, The Legendary Starfy, and Custom Robo that do still count.

But I can see why adding second party characters might cause a problem. Like the risk of the company closing or moving to work for a different 1st party for example.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
I'd be surprised if a Xenoblade character made it in; given Xenoblade is currently a one-off game rather than part of a larger series. It'd have been like having an Eternal Darkness representative in Brawl. The only way I could see it happening is if Monolith are currently working on a second Xenoblade game.

D

Deleted member

I'd be surprised if a Xenoblade character made it in; given Xenoblade is currently a one-off game rather than part of a larger series. It'd have been like having an Eternal Darkness representative in Brawl.
Not exactly, since unlike Eternal Darkness, Xenoblade is actually popular and (even though I criticize John for using sales as an excuse, it actually applies correctly here) has the sales to prove it's quite the contender.
Also, Shulk has much more support than Alexxandra ever did.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
Not exactly, since unlike Eternal Darkness, Xenoblade is actually popular and (even though I criticize John for using sales as an excuse, it actually applies correctly here) has the sales to prove it's quite the contender.
Also, Shulk has much more support than Alexxandra ever did.
We don't know how much Xenoblade sold, though, given NPD excluded it. All we have are estimates and VGChartz's nonsense. Eternal Darkness was 280k worldwide, I'd be surprised if Xenoblade was that much higher. Good game, and Dunban is awesome, but I'd be surprised if it got a rep. I don't think there's a single Smash character from a franchise that only has one title - even Ice Climbers has Ice Climbers and Ice Climbers Vs.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
correct me if i am wrong but did it not get best rpg game in 2010 in japan, best rpg game in 2011 in europe?

The game debuted at #1 in its week of release in Japan, selling 83,000 copies.[01] At the end of 2010, the game had sold 161,161 copies in Japan, making it the eighth best-selling Wii game of the year.[02] It debuted at seventh on the UK game charts,[03] and at second place on the Wii charts, despite stock shortages.[04] According to Gamasutra, it was the fourth best-selling game in the UK during its first week.[05] Investment banking firm Piper Jaffray estimated it to be one of the best-selling games in the United States during the month of April 2012, along with Mass Effect 3 and Prototype 2.[06] The NPD Group excluded the game from their monthly report as it was a retailer exclusive.[07]

technically, Ness only has Mother 2, and Lucas only has Mother 3... unless you would like to word that differently... Smash Rookie.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
correct me if i am wrong but did it not get best rpg game in 2010 in japan, best rpg game in 2011 in europe?
Oh, indeed, it's a fantastic game, I'm not disputing that. It was the sales I wasn't so sure about.

The game debuted at #1 in its week of release in Japan, selling 83,000 copies.[01] At the end of 2010, the game had sold 161,161 copies in Japan, making it the eighth best-selling Wii game of the year.[02] It debuted at seventh on the UK game charts,[03] and at second place on the Wii charts, despite stock shortages.[04] According to Gamasutra, it was the fourth best-selling game in the UK during its first week.[05] Investment banking firm Piper Jaffray estimated it to be one of the best-selling games in the United States during the month of April 2012, along with Mass Effect 3 and Prototype 2.[06] The NPD Group excluded the game from their monthly report as it was a retailer exclusive.[07]
That's interesting, I wasn't aware it sold so well in Japan. The US figures aren't great, though; they're judged by how well a game did on Amazon. Games which did very well via order online but very poorly at physical retail will look rather good; I suspect Xenoblade falls into that category. I was aware NPD excluded it, I mentioned that in my original post. Say Xenoblade did as well as it did in Japan in the US, which would be a massive achievement given the way in which it was distributed. It has 38,000 sales lifetime in Europe. That would give Xenoblade, on a very generous approximation, 340k, which is not really that far beyond Eternal Darkness's 280k, which was my point.

technically, Ness only has Mother 2, and Lucas only has Mother 3... unless you would like to word that differently... Smash Rookie.
You might want to read my post a little more carefully. "I don't think there's a single Smash character from a franchise that only has one title - even Ice Climbers has Ice Climbers and Ice Climbers Vs." I didn't say "I don't think there's a single Smash character who only makes one appearance". Ness and Lucas both come from Mother, which is a franchise with 3 titles, so it fits the criteria I provided... unless you would like to word that differently... Smash Lord.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Getting a second party franchise in Super Smash Bros doesn't seem nearly as hard as adding a third party character. The inclusion of Pokemon alone proves this, but there are others too that made an appearance like Golden Sun, The Legendary Starfy, and Custom Robo that do still count.

But I can see why adding second party characters might cause a problem. Like the risk of the company closing or moving to work for a different 1st party for example.
Game Freak is second party, but Pokemon isn't. 2/3rds of it are owned by Nintendo. Of course, Sakurai has said it is still hard to work around.

It can change and a second party game could get in (as a character of course), but we'll see. I don't think it will happen yet and only really Saki looks like he might pull it off.

I'd be surprised if a Xenoblade character made it in; given Xenoblade is currently a one-off game rather than part of a larger series. It'd have been like having an Eternal Darkness representative in Brawl. The only way I could see it happening is if Monolith are currently working on a second Xenoblade game.
Ice Climbers. Sheik.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Isn't Saki considered first party? I mean, Treasure was work for hire for both games, and they weren't even mentioned in the copyrights for Brawl.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
see? you should have worded it differently! even SmashChu had believed it was in the vein of the character at hand.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
Alternatively, a lot of people were jumping to conclusions because they're desperate for Shulk to be in. :p

Could get a good move-set with the Monando, though... here's hoping they break the trend.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
Alright, let's really throw a bomb into the mix;

In 2014, Sakurai reveals he's actually teamed up with Capcom to make Smash vs. Capcom. There are to be 60 characters on the roster, shared equally between the two companies. What is your roster?

EDIT: If that's really killing you, I'll allow 45/15.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
heh... hahaha!! I'd hate Sakurai for that... having only 30 nintendo characters? jeez.

hold on a tick, let me make my roster.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Now the image of Kirby beating up characters like Zero using ridiculous air combos is stuck in my mind. :laugh:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
That would be a ******* move on Sakurai's part.

Don't say you are continuing the Smash series and then turn around and make a VS. game >__>

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Samus vs. Jill
Bowser vs. M. Bison
Link vs. Zero
Captain Falcon vs. Viewtiful Joe
Pikachu vs. Amaterasu
Donkey Kong vs. Phoenix Wright
Marth vs. Dante

Finally my dream fights may be slowly coming together. But alas, it's not real yet.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
All I know is that Juri has to be in it. Imagine her double entendres towards the Nintendo characters.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Nintendo:
Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Wario, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf.
Pikachu, Mewtwo, Pokemon Trainer, Kirby, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Samus, Ridley, Captain falcon, Captain Olimar.
Fox, Falco, Ice Climbers, Marth, Ike, Ness, Pit, Little Mac, Saki Amamiya, Isaac.

CAPCOM:
Ryu, Ken Masters, Mega Man X, Zero, Morrigan, Felicia, Ryu (BoF), Dante (original), Arthur.
Chun Li, Soki, Saki Omokane, Batsu Ichimonji, Hayato Kanzaki, Strider, Captain Commando, Jin Saotome, Phoenix Wright, Frank West.
M. Bison (Vega in Japan), Firebrand, Regina, Nathan Spencer, Leon Kennedy, Albert Wesker, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu, Rouge (Power Stone), Yukimura Sanada.

(note, i didn't play sengoku basara so i chose the coolest out if the three in a gameplay trailer)
i really spread it out for capcom, lol... i hate akuma with a passion, i want X in a fighting game for once, Ryu (BoF) is neglected, i needed Firebrand to oppose Ridley, needed a captain in the capcom side since nintendo had 2, i wanted some Dino Crisis love, i have preference for Leon... and i wanted some new franchises for nintendo so i nixed some other characters (jiggz, wolf, MrG&W, etc.)

@Habanero... yeaahhh... no Jill... gonna have to settle for Regina.
@Bartholomew Kuma yeahh... no juri. but i put in M. Bison! there's that!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Aw hell, me too.
[COLLAPSE="Nintendo"]
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Bowser
  5. Toad
  6. Link
  7. Zelda
  8. Ganondorf
  9. Samus
  10. Ridley
  11. Yoshi
  12. Donkey Kong
  13. Diddy Kong
  14. Kirby
  15. Meta Knight
  16. Dedede
  17. Fox
  18. Krystal
  19. Pikachu
  20. Mewtwo
  21. Capt. Falcon
  22. Ness
  23. Paula
  24. Marth
  25. Sheeda
  26. Ice Climbers
  27. Pit
  28. Palutena
  29. Lip
  30. Duck Hunt Dog
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Capcom"]
  1. Ryu
  2. Chun-Li
  3. C. Viper
  4. Juri
  5. Alex
  6. Dante
  7. Megaman
  8. Zero
  9. Tron Bonne
  10. Chris
  11. Jill
  12. Wesker
  13. Amaterasu
  14. Morrigan
  15. Jon Talbain
  16. Felicia
  17. Phoenix Wright
  18. Arthur
  19. Saki
  20. Batsu
  21. Sengoku Basara Guy (I forgot his name)
  22. Frank West
  23. Don't have time for the rest, I gotta go.
[/COLLAPSE]

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Nintendo:
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
DK
Diddy
Yoshi
Wario
Link
Zelda
Gannondorf
Tingle
Pikachu
PKMN Trainer
Mewtwo(Tentative)
Lucario(tentative)
Kirby
Dedede
Meta-Knight
Samus
Ridley
Marth
Ike
Fox
Ness
Ray 01
Olimar
Isaac
Pit
G&W

Nintendo DLC:
Toad
Capt. Syrup/Ashley
Vaati
Jigglypuff
Dark Matter
Zero Suit Samus
Lyn
C. Falcon
Starfy

I don't know much about capcom, so I'm just gonna say UMvC3 plus MegaMan, Captain Commando, and 2 others are capcoms characters.
Capcom would have DLC too.

Deucalion

Smash Cadet
1. Mario
2. Pikachu
3. Link
4. Kirby
5. Samus
6. Donkey Kong
------------------// The unquestionables. Absolutely rock solid.

7. Fox
8. Captain Falcon
9. Ness
10. Marth
11. Olimar
12. Luigi
------------------// Not quite in the absolute top tier of inclusion, but close. Just after I finished these 12, I noticed I had SSB64's roster with the removal of Yoshi and Jigglypuff and addition of Marth and Olimar.

13. Jigglypuff
14. Yoshi
15. Bowser
16. Mewtwo
17. Ganondorf
18. King Dedede
------------------// The mid-tier of importance. You'll notice I have Mewtwo here, despite him not making my 44 roster Smash list. That's because I feel Smash vs. Capcom would probably be a one-off and thus present day relevance is not at all important compared to historical relevance.

19. Ridley
20. King K. Rool
21. Wolf
22. Peach
23. Zelda
24. Wario
------------------// Really important to their series, but not quite in the same manner as earlier characters. Again, King K. Rool is here despite not making my 44 character roster list. That's because I think Diddy is more important to the DK series if present and history are balanced evenly, but overall K. Rool is more popular. It's also roughly the Melee roster, missing Mr. Game and Watch, Dr. Mario, Falco, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Pichu, and Roy (i.e; all the clones, then Ice Climbers and Game & Watch because I didn't have room, Melee is 26 after all :p).

25. R.O.B.
26. Pit
27. Ray
28. Isaac
29. Saki
30. Starfy
------------------// This is essentially pretty close to the Brawl roster. It's missing Mr. Game & Watch, which was done because R.O.B. makes a cameo in Viewtiful Joe, a Capcom franchise, and thus takes precedence for the "retro" character, Diddy Kong, because King. K Rool got the place instead, Falco, because having 3 Star Fox characters when I have a limit of 30 is silly, and Wolf is probably slightly more important as the main repeat antagonist, Pokemon Trainer, because that'd be tricky to see with the vs. Capcom set-up, Ike, because there's no room when that could go towards representing new franchises, Ice Climbers, see Ike, Lucario, see Ike, Toon Link, see Ike, and Lucas, see Ike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom