• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't get the Mega man ending. Maybe it's because I haven't played the game?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Bad Boxart Megaman was sort of a joke thing for only that game, so I'd doubt we'll see that guy again.

That version of Megaman received mixed reactions anyway.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No, HAL Laboratories should be the lead developer, instead of Game Arts (don't say Sora Limited, because that studio's staff is like a handful of people). Game Arts and the other 2 studios that worked on Brawl (plus Sora Ltd) should focus 100% on Smash Wii U and 3DS (along with HAL Laboratories), and should be the "assistant developers." Because HAL Laboratories has seniority, and is better at making smash games.
And you haven't played 3-5 and 12 according to your bio. :smirk:
I have played 3 quite a bit (which is why I added that edit), :p and a few levels of 4, 5, and 11, but nothing much. Hence why I didn't mention them. I never played 2. At all. :bee:
I've tried out 6 and 12 before I just haven't had time to really dig into either. Planning on importing them, however, when I get the time. I've also beaten FE1 before the translation rom came out and was one of the first to report on it on SF. :p
Looks like we got a bada** over here... :smirk:

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
First thing that comes to mind when I think of things I liked about Brawl better than Melee was that Melee had a much steeper tier gradient in general, so if Hal helps out on Smash 4, I hope the tier gradient won't be so steep. (Game & Watch, Mewtwo, Pichu, Kirby, Ness, and indeed about 1/3 of Melee's roster wasn't worth playing as in Melee because they were harder to use and/or be good with).

And one thing I can't understand is why Lyndis got into Brawl as an Assist Trophy over Hector who was much more important to Rekka No Ken's plot. Not that I'd want any Rekka No Ken character playable, but especially not Lyndis, because her 10 or 11 chapters in Rekka No Ken, mattered by far the least (It doesn't help that Lyndis' part was the tutorial mode either!).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Mixed reactions... so some people actually liked that? LOL
Some thought it was a funny parody, while others thought it was an insult. Ether varies depending on who you ask. It doesn't help that the Bad Boxart Megaman announcement was a little after the official cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ GTA
Brawl's learning curve was much smaller because the heights to how technical and strategic weren't anywhere near the level you could achieve with Melee, especially with offense.

Unless of course you are talking about defense to offense gameplay, which Brawl wins out because of more camping and stalling methods (that work) and are hard to punish.

And you also left out that a huge portion of the Brawl characters were garbage as well. There is a much bigger gap in Brawl between the top, high, middle, low, and bottom tiers.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
No, HAL Laboratories should be the lead developer, instead of Game Arts (don't say Sora Limited, because that studio's staff is like a handful of people). Game Arts and the other 2 studios that worked on Brawl (plus Sora Ltd) should focus 100% on Smash Wii U and 3DS (along with HAL Laboratories), and should be the "assistant developers." Because HAL Laboratories has seniority, and is better at making smash games.
For one of the rarer moments on this board, I agree with you. The good thing is we will be guaranteed two new Kirby stages.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Johnknight: Much better. lol

You should check out Gaiden though. It's much better than the other dark horses at the time (Mario 2, Zelda 2, Metroid 2). Story's kinda weird though near the end.

@Mega Man: BBA was really only liked by about half upon his first reveal, after that his fanbase mostly died or turned against him. He's really only used now to yell at Capcom, make fun of the already crying MM fanboys, and as a way to troll online.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Star
I would like 2 new Kirby stages, since all of the Kirby stages thus far have been incredible. Minus Green Greens, which was so-so (take out the side bombs, and we're good).

@ Triple Dash
Super Mario Bros. 2 is bomb bro (lol bomb-omb accidental reference). Also, Zelda II, for what it's worth, has a challenging difficulty that makes it have a great legacy.

Also, I will eventually check out Fire Emblem 2... once I finish my current playthru of Fire Emblem 7 and 6... :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
1)People hate cuts because they hate losing "their" character
2)Your idea that "People think everyone from Smash has to be in" is false because no one wants Pichu back (kind of true for Doc too)
3)No one wants Duck Hunt Dog or Tingle because people don't like them. Not sure why you have to bring this up every other post. Your worse than Diddy (Diddy's characters are ones some people do want).
Wow. Talk about opinion myopia! You are really convinced that I am the only one on this planet who wants Duck Hunt Dog and Tingle, huh? I have looked around throughout the Internet and I see some fan-made rosters with Duck Hunt Dog and/or Tingle included. I have seen some YouTube videos where fans describe the special moves for Duck Hunt Dog or Tingle. That's how I know I am not the only one who wants Duck Hunt Dog and Tingle in Smash. I know for sure there are other people besides me who think that Duck Hunt Dog and/or Tingle would be pretty fun to play as in Smash. It's why I know your comparisons between me and Diddy Kong are inaccurate. I am beginning to think you are suffering a severe case of opinion myopia where you think only your opinions are absolute and just. I mean, you are saying that no one wants Pichu and yet I see some fans saying they want Pichu back because they hated their favorite character getting cut. So, why is cutting characters okay if the characters are the ones you don't like but cutting characters are morally wrong if the characters are the ones you like? Just because you don't like a character does not mean it is universal where everyone on this planet shares your views. I don't know why you are always trying to suppress my pro-Duck Hunt Dog and pro-Tingle opinions and constantly reprimanding me for supporting characters that YOU personally don't like. I already acknowledge that Duck Hunt Dog and Tingle are not very likely but they at least have a chance.

GTA_Hater_331

Smash Journeyman
@ GTA
Brawl's learning curve was much smaller because the heights to how technical and strategic weren't anywhere near the level you could achieve with Melee, especially with offense.

Unless of course you are talking about defense to offense gameplay, which Brawl wins out because of more camping and stalling methods (that work) and are hard to punish.

And you also left out that a huge portion of the Brawl characters were garbage as well. There is a much bigger gap in Brawl between the top, high, middle, low, and bottom tiers.
...that's odd. In general, whenever I play Brawl, my choice in characters makes less of a difference in my performance than my choice of characters in Melee. I don't suppose there's any logical explanation for my paradox?

And if MegaMan were to be playable in Smash 4, do you think they'd mostly focus on the classic MegaMan games? (If not, which branch and why?)

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Wikipedia is telling me Hal worked on every MOTHER game. Is this true? I thought Ape Studios became Game Freak?

@ Star
I would like 2 new Kirby stages, since all of the Kirby stages thus far have been incredible. Minus Green Greens, which was so-so (take out the side bombs, and we're good).
Wel I'm fully expecting a Kirby's Epic Yarn and Kirby's Return to Dreamland stage. Not only are both titles the most recent Kirby titles, they are also two of the better selling games on the Wii.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland is Duke Nukem Forever, but actually worth the wait.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wikipedia is telling me Hal worked on every MOTHER game. Is this true? I thought Ape Studios became Game Freak?
I think they helped assist in the creation of the game, like a secondary developer. It would also explain what HAL Laboratories was busy doing from 1993-1995, and 2003-2005. :laugh:
I'm fully expecting a Kirby's Epic Yarn and Kirby's Return to Dreamland stage. Not only are both titles the most recent Kirby titles, they are also two of the better selling games on the Wii.
I wouldn't "fully expect" a Kirby's Return to Dreamland stage, unless it's a reoccurring stage from Kirby. Still, I am kinda expecting a Epic Yarn stage (to Sakurai's displeasure?).

D

Deleted member

Quite literally, if a character isn't inelligible, they have *some* degree of a chance. Even if it's very minute. Very VERY minute.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@ Triple Dash
Super Mario Bros. 2 is bomb bro (lol bomb-omb accidental reference). Also, Zelda II, for what it's worth, has a challenging difficulty that makes it have a great legacy.

Also, I will eventually check out Fire Emblem 2... once I finish my current playthru of Fire Emblem 7 and 6... :p
You won't know until you try a playthrough of it. ;)

I don't think that either developer really will change much other than the pace of development (hense Melee in such a short time), it's all on Sakurai for the parts of gameplay I think we're referring to.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well in that case Golden, I think Red Gyarados stands a chance! :laugh:
...that's odd. In general, whenever I play Brawl, my choice in characters makes less of a difference than my choice of characters in Melee. I don't suppose there's any logical explanation for my paradox?
That's because you probably don't play anywhere near the top level of play (which is what I was referring to). Mains Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Olimar, Snake, Falco and maybe 1 or 2 other characters win almost all of the "semi-big" Brawl tournaments. With Melee, literally half the cast can win any of the "semi-big" tournaments.
And if MegaMan were to be playable in Smash 4, do you think they'd mostly focus on the classic MegaMan games? (If not, which branch and why?)
We're getting Classic Mega Man if we get Mega Man. Mega Buster, power slide, charged Mega Buster blast, and maybe even power absorption... :bee:

D

Deleted member

Is the Red Gyarados elligible? Yes. So by default it has some degree of a chance.
However, being that it's the Red Gyarados....that chance is like 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000001%. Maybe even less.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I wouldn't "fully expect" a Kirby's Return to Dreamland stage, unless it's a reoccurring stage from Kirby. Still, I am kinda sorta expecting a Epic Yarn stage (to Sakurai's displeasure=???).
Oh I would. We're losing Green Greens since only Brawl stages will be returning. Adding in something like Cookie Country would be a great way to incorporate KRTDL while carrying on the spirit of the Green Greens stage. Not only that, but Kirby's Return to Dreamland has been a remarkable success for Nintendo, considering the 11 year development period.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Shush Golden, we all known Red Gyarados has a 100% chance. Otherwise, we wouldn't get to play as Golden Magicarp. ;)
You won't know until you try a playthrough of it. ;)
Have you beaten Zelda II=??? Because if you have, you would know your
d*** instantly is as big as beast Ganon
. Tru fax.
I don't think that either developer really will change much other than the pace of development (hense Melee in such a short time), it's all on Sakurai for the parts of gameplay I think we're referring to.
Sakurai is only one man. He doesn't make smash bros. alone. Far from that, actually. With Melee and Brawl, he had a staff of just under or around 100 or so.

And HAL Laboratories helped build up a lot more of smash bros. a lot quicker and more effectively than Game Arts and co did. Plus, I think they add a certain "flair" Game Arts lacks. That and HAL Laboratories' games are of much better quality than Game Arts' games are (lol TMNT Smash!).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Golden
If that song isn't in Smash Wii U and 3DS, you will probably still be dancing around like a maniac! :laugh:
Oh I would. We're losing Green Greens since only Brawl stages will be returning. Adding in something like Cookie Country would be a great way to incorporate KRTDL while carrying on the spirit of the Green Greens stage. Not only that, but Kirby's Return to Dreamland has been a remarkable success for Nintendo, considering the 11 year development period.
Meah, we're gonna get the Haleberd back in all likelihood. Also, while that would be nice, I'm not sure if Sakurai would have played Return to Dreamland.

Still, if HAL Laboratories is on board and working on Smash Wii U and 3DS, then it would definitely be quite easy for them to make such a stage. ;)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Have you beaten Zelda II=??? Because if you have, you would know your
d*** instantly is as big as beast Ganon
. Tru fax.
I beat the other week actually (I mentioned it a few times in the BR).

Sakurai is only one man. He doesn't make smash bros. alone. Far from that, actually. With Melee and Brawl, he had a staff of just under or around 100 or so.

And HAL Laboratories helped build up a lot more of smash bros. a lot quicker and more effectively than Game Arts and co did. Plus, I think they add a certain "flair" Game Arts lacks. That and HAL Laboratories' games are of much better quality than Game Arts' games are (lol TMNT Smash!).
That's true, but Sakurai's the one who controls the direction the game takes (If we're referring to the gameplay and elements).

Hal's definitely the better developer though, there's no question about that if you look at their history. Quicker is a no brainer too, they're a bigger studio too. But what do you mean by flair?

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Meah, we're gonna get the Haleberd back in all likelihood. Also, while that would be nice, I'm not sure if Sakurai would have played Return to Dreamland.

Still, if HAL Laboratories is on board and working on Smash Wii U and 3DS, then it would definitely be quite easy for them to make such a stage. ;)
Sakurai has not played a lot of games that he ended up putting in content for, that is what the subsidiaries do. At the end of the day I still see Kirby's stages as going like this:

Cookie Country
Fountain Gardens (aka Patch Land)
The Halberd

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I beat it the other week actually (I mentioned it a few times in the BR).
Welcome to the Man Club, here is your Man badge. ;)
That's true, but Sakurai's the one who controls the direction the game takes (If we're referring to the gameplay and elements).
Yes he is the guy who can change any decision, but he said for Smash Wii U and 3DS he is leaning on other people. Who better to lean on than the heads of HAL Laboratories=???
Quicker is a no brainer too, they're a bigger studio too.
They also were able to make 3 high quality Kirby games that were released in a span of 24 or so months.
But what do you mean by flair?
Just look at the "style" differences between Smash 64 and Melee. Huge differences. Now look at Brawl. Brawl basically looks like it combined the whacky of Smash 64 with the "smooth" of Melee, instead of branching out and being it's own thing. HAL Laboratories added more to smash in Smash 64 and Melee than Game Arts did in Brawl with less time.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai has not played a lot of games that he ended up putting in content for, that is what the subsidiaries do.
True, which is why HAL Laboratories working on Smash Wii U and 3DS would make adding a Return to Dreamland stage that much easier to accomplish.
At the end of the day I still see Kirby's stages as going like this:
Cookie Country
Fountain Gardens (aka Patch Land)
The Halberd
Sounds like a good list to me. :bee:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Welcome to the Man Club, here is your Man badge. ;)
"Eyes tear up in happiness." :cry:

Yes he is the guy who can change any decision, but he said for Smash Wii U and 3DS he is leaning on other people. Who better to lean on than the heads of HAL Laboratories=???

They also were able to make 3 high quality Kirby games that were released in a span of 24 or so months.

Just look at the "style" differences between Smash 64 and Melee. Huge differences. Now look at Brawl. Brawl basically looks like it combined the whacky of Smash 64 with the "smooth" of Melee, instead of branching out and being it's own thing. HAL Laboratories added more to smash in Smash 64 and Melee than Game Arts did in Brawl with less time.
I think a good chunk of that could be argued, but I don't feel like at the moment as I know what it'll lead to. Really just depends on if you liked Brawl or not.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree that if Hal had the game that it would be finished faster and that Hal has more experence, but the quality is subjective. Let's just pray that Sakurai's involvement doesn't change too much (unless you don't like his approch to games he's developed recently) as he's the biggest factor.

Gotta go, but I do wonder what this thread would be like if there was less bias towards either Melee or Brawl.
64 for the win!

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Sounds like a good list to me. :bee:
Yep yep. By the way, I don't know how many times I have said this, but this is the most epic Kirby song I have heard in the past decade. Kirby, the only series that can make me feel nostalgic for even it's newer games.

The only stages I am curious about are the ones where the respective series has not had a new game released. Yoshi, Ice Climbers, Game and Watch, F-Zero, to an extent Star Fox; these series intrigue me because I am not sure what Sakurai is going to do. It's difficult to try and peg what will happen, considering this is the first time this has really been an issue. Earthbound is the only series I don't question because there is such a large demand for a new stage, particularly Saturn Valley, that I think Sakurai will listen. Sure, Game and Watch could easily go the Flat Zone 3 route, but I am still not 100% positive that will happen.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
What if Sakurai messes with you and just creates a stage based on nothing, like Lylat Cruise.
Lylat Cruise is interesting, now that you bring it up, because it blended Assault and Command into one stage without needing to be one place specifically. It always amazes me how Sakurai felt this need to balance Assault and Command, it is not something I think many people notice.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Eh? How was it Commandy?

You based your two Kirby picks on the first levels of their respective games, right? So that means Patchland or whatever is all greeny and junk, like it's non-patchy counterpart? You should fix that. Maybe.

I don't remember what they were like.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Eh? How was it Commandy?
Thought the ship came from Command, could be wrong.

You based your two Kirby picks on the first levels of their respective games, right? So that means Patchland or whatever is all greeny and junk, like it's non-patchy counterpart? You should fix that. Maybe.

I don't remember what they were like.
Actually I based my stage idea off of Fountains Gardens. In a way it is a spiritual successor to Fountain of Dreams, but with yarn platforms and stuff. More light blue and pastels.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm sorry that I am dumb.

Also Sakurai just made up that ship on the spot, lol. Which is why I commented that he can throw you a curveball.

Then there's Mushroomy Kingdom, I guess.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
"Eyes tear up in happiness." :cry:
Are you crying=??? THERE'S NO CRYING IN SMASH BROS!!!
I think a good chunk of that could be argued, but I don't feel like at the moment as I know what it'll lead to. Really just depends on if you liked Brawl or not.
I think everything good about Brawl was a few key people, most noticeably Sakurai. Hence this is the 1st smash game Sakurai has publicly said he needs more help. Remember, Game Arts was brand new to fighting games. Even after learning how to make a smash-esk fighting game in Brawl, they still made that forgettable game TNMT Smash! :laugh:
Don't get me wrong though, I agree that if Hal had the game that it would be finished faster and that Hal has more experence
This is why we need HAL Laboratories. That and they know how to lead the way. We can get much more much quicker. Although, personally, I want this game delayed for ages so I can get more content, balancing, characters, stages, modes, and whatnot! :chuckle:
Gotta go, but I do wonder what this thread would be like if there was less bias towards either Melee or Brawl.
64 for the win!
There is a lot of bias for 64. I for one think a few concepts from 64 should return, such as having large stages that aren't camping hell stages (like the large stages in Brawl).

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Also Sakurai just made up that ship on the spot, lol. Which is why I commented that he can throw you a curveball.

Then there's Mushroomy Kingdom, I guess.
Yeah, Sakurai will do that, which is why it is impossible to predict everything he will do. Mushroomy Kingdom is really just his own name for Level 1-1. Personally it's a lot better than simply being called "Level 1-1".

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
IT'S MORE THAN THAT. He got all ARTISTIC and decided the cheery Mario setting could look a bit more post-apocalyptic.

"It's an old game, so this world must have gone to ruins since it hasn't been played in for so long."

What a cool weirdo.

Also Mach Rider needs to tap into that atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom