• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
Lol at Brawl being great.

There are a few things he has to do to get the casual players covered:
1. Provide a lot of replayability and a leaderboard in the single player portions.
2. Provide a tutorial that is at least up to the quality of Skullgirls and Virtua Fighter.
3. Make the game flashy looking without scrubbing it up.
4. Provide a lot of GOOD fanservice.
You summed it up pretty well, though I think that the word co-op should be there somewhere... but I don't know...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@Oasis
Watch this all the way to the end. You'll love the last one.

@John
I disagree considering his priorities and intentions with Brawl were so warped. The fact that he managed to alienate an entire demographic while providing a subpar entree for the audience he was wanting to address tells me he hasn't quite figured it out. Seems like he got it down for Kid Icarus, BUT there's one minor hole - the grinding to get weapons for multiplayer mode.

@Pinkie Pie
Online training mode perhaps?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Kuma
Meah, I think the problem, again, with Brawl was the rookie staff, and too much focus on the forgettable adventure mode in Brawl.
Since I'm not a poohead, I can enjoy both Protect M and regular Brawl.

Golly, being versatile sure does make gaming fun.
We're not talking about the games, we're talking about the movesets.

Although Brawl matches aren't anywhere near as exciting as Smash 64, Melee, or Porject M matches; however, the ledge and off the stage gameplay of Brawl IMO is really boring and stale. They even need rules for it! :laugh: Again, it's a matter of preference, not being "versatile." It's this beautiful thing called "an opinion," which nobody's is necessarily right.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
N3ON said:
From there, Operation Rainfall gained momentum by all the disgruntled Wii-owners who saw a relatively barren landscape in upcoming games, ones who joined even though they might never have had interest in buying the game.
So by that margin, the demographic that you are describing was more interested in participating in the movement than the Xenoblade itself.

That legacy would be the compelling factor for these titles, superseding whatever value these titles have individually.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not really, because we can now hack future smash bros. games easier and apply such mods to it them. Plus Sakurai could easily take some ideas from Project M.

Heck, Sakurai has even flat out said Melee was the (I forget the exact word, but I'll say it regardless) "smooth" Smash Bros. game. So, implementing ideas from a fan project to make Brawl more like Melee makes sense, if he truly, really feels that way. :bee: The only thing is Sakurai would have to make such things appeal to casual fans, which he can.
I'm postive he said it was the hardest and the stuff SmashChu good at pointing out. He maybe could use some ideas, though with his developing style I don't see him taking much, I myself can only see him taking no Stamina PT and no Tripping.

EDIT: Wait, he said it was sharp, but too difficult. lol

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ Kuma
Meah, I think the problem, again, with Brawl was the rookie staff, and too much focus on the forgettable adventure mode in Brawl.
What I can't help but wonder is WHY was a team that had no fighting game design experience chosen for a high profile game like Brawl. It's one thing to toss in new talent in with veterans - they gotta learn with first hand experience. It's another to toss them into relatively unexplored territory.

I was referring to the Adventure Mode for him addressing to an audience with a subpar entree. It has a great concept, but it has little to no playability, tried implementing Pokemon mechanics in a fighting game, stupidly limited itself to miming, etc. In short, it's a great concept executed horribly.

@---
The problem with Melee was the fact that there was no real teaching beyond controls ever offered in the game along with the arbitrary execution barrier that is L-Canceling.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I love how you think a good game is something complex that divides players of differing skill levels, with a lot of trivial **** for casuals to just eat up because that's what they do right.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Would you rather have a game with absolutely no skill barriers in a competitive environment and therefore no sense of accomplishment in your progress as a player?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think we're getting into another casuel vs competitive discussion again. Can't say I really care for those as it's just a Melee and Brawl bashing session.

But since I don't often speak up during them I might as well quick say what I think:

Brawl was fine at it's core but there are many things that could be polished.
  • Get rid of Tripping.
  • Improve (something that offsets the decrease in stats) or get rid of PTs stamina.
  • Improve the balance (it can always be better).
  • Maybe revamp SmashBalls and Final Smashes.
  • Maybe add in a few more simple Advance Techniques in conjuction with an expanded tutorial mode. Event Mode would be great for this.
  • A few more stages that aren't wacky to play on even when playing casual (ex. Summit, 75m, Mario Bros.).
  • Now that we have patches, use them to fix glitches.

Gotta run to the store. I'll be back in a while. Later.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
Online training mode perhaps?
The training mode was actually a good one.
I was actually thinking of a 2 player mode or something (Subspace Emissary had the option?) where you and your friend can complete something together.
It doesn't necessarily have to be online, it could be local... or both...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Really Kuma. Really.

Super Kumash Bros. requires you to go grind through 4 hours worth of sandbags, stocking up on coins to purchase the next training mode. Once you graduate from the training school you can fight your first opponent, but losing requires you to earn more coins to pay off medical fees.

I mean, that's fun right? Making stuff like the real world?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Random Tripping = Should go.

I'm okay with Attack or Stage element/item-induced tripping, however.

Also ignoring Warheart_666 for the stupid pony avatar. Less ponies we have the better.
Lighten up, man. We mean no harm. :D

Also, on a random note, this was the first time I've ever seen Saki's Ruffian form. Pretty cool, I must say. Definitely Final Smash Material.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
One of the only things that bothered me about getting a fuchsia name was that it seems to be associated with bronies. Gross.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So by that margin, the demographic that you are describing was more interested in participating in the movement than the Xenoblade itself.

That legacy would be the compelling factor for these titles, superseding whatever value these titles have individually.
Yes, some people (not the majority, but a fair amount) who supported and took an interest in Operation Rainfall were more concerned with getting games that Nintendo wouldn't localize simply because either they couldn't have them (wanting what you can't have psychology :rolleyes:), Nintendo seemed to be showing itself as hypocritical making the focus of the Wii U the "hardcore" but ignoring these "hardcore" titles, they were fed up with NOA not localizing increasingly more games recently, or were just starved for games (as the number of quality Wii games were drying up), as opposed to actually wanting Xenoblade (or TLS/Pandora's Tower).

This was only a rather small percentage, most "members" of Operation Rainfall also wanted these games specifically, in addition to some of the reasons above.

As for your second sentence, mind clarifying? You kinda lost me. :embarrass:

yani

Smash Lord
^ Yeah if it wasn't for Operation Rainfall I would have never known about Xenoblade. Now it's my favorite Wii game :grin:

:phone:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^ Yeah if it wasn't for Operation Rainfall I would have never known about Xenoblade. Now it's my favorite Wii game :grin:
I had heard about the Rainfall games, but until they really starting showcasing them constantly and showing alot of trailers and gameplay, I probably wouldn't have ended up buying them. I'm glad the campaign was as successful as it was, Xenoblade deserves to be played by everyone, and Rainfall caused it to get an unprecedented amount of coverage and hype.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630

There aren't a lot of good pictures of monster Saki around... But there he is when you first see him, RISING OUT OF BLOOD WHICH HAD FLOODED JAPAN.

yani

Smash Lord
I had heard about the Rainfall games, but until they really starting showcasing them constantly and showing alot of trailers and gameplay, I probably wouldn't have ended up buying them. I'm glad the campaign was as successful as it was, Xenoblade deserves to be played by everyone, and Rainfall caused it to get an unprecedented amount of coverage and hype.
My message to any Wii owner that hasn't played Xenoblade.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That goes without saying. It's pretty much guaranteed that online will be greatly improved, but probably not perfect. There is no such thing as perfect after all.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
That's not true at all. I am perfection. Also i wish operation: moon fall got the kind of support behind it that rainfall got.

:phone:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Moonfall did get noticed by Nintendo, and it could be one of the reasons they're seriously considering remaking MM instead of ALttP.

But it's alot different when you're asking for a game to be made (even a remake) as opposed to localizing an already-made game.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Moonfall did get noticed by Nintendo, and it could be one of the reasons they're seriously considering remaking MM instead of ALttP.
Well, Zelda Williams herself is a huge supporter of Operation: Moonfall, and given that she herself said Majora's Mask is her favorite Zelda game, I would imagine that fact alone will have some significant impact on Nintendo opting for a 3DS port of MM with updated visuals.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
The very idea of a SKILL BARRIER is dumb.
As you decide you MUST replay that silly Sin and Punishment game on VARYING SKILL BARRIERS.

Hypocritical, especially considering you play with no items, stock, AC level, in brawl.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
As you decide you MUST replay that silly Sin and Punishment game on VARYING SKILL BARRIERS.

Hypocritical, especially considering you play with no items, stock, AC level, in brawl.
Makes me wonder why it's worth arguing with Susan about this topic considering he's hypocritical about it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Just don't. It's like arguing with me about Krystal, or talking to Chrono about Krom (Even though I do that for funsies), or just talking to Golden and Diddy in General.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
"The very idea of a skill barrier is dumb?"

pftttttttt HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Welp. I guess we can all stop playing video games now.

...unless, of course, Oasis is advocating an EAZY TO PLAY sorta thing.

Smooth Criminal

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
...unless, of course, Oasis is advocating an EAZY TO PLAY sorta thing.
That thing Smash has always striven for, yes.

You're asking for ADDED MECHANICS to PURPOSEFULLY complex up the game, beyond the basic gameplay, to give advantages to the user. An even playing field just isn't good enough for you.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
That thing Smash has always striven for, yes.

You're asking for ADDED MECHANICS to PURPOSEFULLY complex up the game, beyond the basic gameplay, to give advantages to the user. An even playing field just isn't good enough for you.
No, no it's not. Not when I've played since age eight, and my mom since eight thirty, and we're on an even playing ground.

This isn't even about Smash anymore, it's about gaming fundamentals.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Lmao.

I'm not "asking" for anything. You know what they say when you assume? It makes an *** out of you and me.

'sides which, explain how giving both players an advantage (i.e. access to mechanics they can BOTH use) is a bad thing.

Smooth Criminal

D

Deleted member

Waluigi can easily be a clone of :wariobrawl:. It isn't hard to visualize. This is especially true since Waluigi has few moves that are unique to him.

Sure Waluigi is skinny and tall and :waribrawlo: is short and "stocky." But that doesn't mean he can't be a clone of :wariobrawl:. It didn't stop :luigibrawl: from being a clone of :mariobrawl:. :laugh:

That's not even considering that Luigi has quite a few more moves (and potential moves) unique to him than Waluigi.
You don't grasp the big picture. Literally, anything Mario can do, Luigi can do as well, and this is true in the main Mario series as well. Sure, Luigi has never used the F.L.U.D.D., but it isn't illogical that he could use it as easily as his big bro.

Wario and Waluigi on the other hand, cannot copy each other so easily.
Wario has herculean strength that Waluigi lacks and well as a rotund belly and girth that he likes to throw around, and conversely, Waluigi has freakishly long legs that Wario doesn't have.

Also factor in Wario's moveset. Wario's moveset comes from WarioWare. If Wario had a Wario Land inspired moveset instead, then it can be easier to visualize Waluigi copying him.
Wario's Chomp came from a microgame about eating hotdogs. Waluigi using Chomp makes no sense, as Chomp caters to Wario's gluttony trait.
Wario Bike, yes, Waluigi can use the bike, but then again, so could Bowser and Donkey Kong. However, out of those 4, bike riding is a trait that is more associated with Wario than anyone else, due to the WarioWare series, where his bike is his main method of travel.
The Corkscrew, yeah, I can see, since it's a generic move not based on anything really.
As for Wario Waft, you cannot be serious in that Waluigi can clone that. Farts are a part of Wario, with his "love of toilet humor". Waluigi eats eggplants; the anti-fart food. (Ingenious on Nintendo's part or mere coincidence?) But aside from that, Wario's flatulence is featured in WarioWare on more than one occasion. In fact, one of Smooth Moves' microgames is fanning the air that Wario farted in.
And what about a Final Smash, "Waluigi-Man"?

I know what you're going to say. "But :ganonmelee: copied :falconmelee:!"
However, Ganondorf and Captain Falcon are both of the same build, it isn't out of place for the wielder of the Triforce of Power to punch and kick infused with his energy of dark magic, and Falcon's moves didn't originate from anywhere but Smash, so they aren't technically "exclusive" to him.

Also, how many times do I have to list abilities Waluigi has that no other character has? I mean, other than F.L.U.D.D., Mario doesn't use any techniques that are unique to him in Smash. Luigi used Capes in SMW. Luigi and Toads use fireballs. Spinning is not unique at all. Make the Mario Finale green and you got "Luigi Finale", since Luigi can shoot fire as well.

EDIT: And no, I didn't type all this in one sitting. I wrote some, stopped, wrote more, stopped again, then wrote more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom