• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Still trudging through Pikmin 2. I have to say, this game is probably one of the best Nintendo games I have played on the Wii, and it's a Gamecub port. Funny how that works. Pikmin is just such a fun series, I am so excited for Pikmin 3. This series is definitely in my Top 5 Nintendo series category.

It also makes me enjoy using Olimar even more in Brawl. I'll be intrigued to see if Olimar ends up being able to use all of the new Pikmin.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ My top 5 Nintendo franchises would have to be Super Mario, the Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong (Country), Metroid, and MOTHER/EarthBound (minus Smash). This sounds like it could be fun though. So let me ask y'all this question-what are your top 5 or so favorite Nintendo franchises (minus Smash, for obvious reasons)=???
What I can't help but wonder is WHY was a team that had no fighting game design experience chosen for a high profile game like Brawl.
Maybe Nintendo was testing them to see if they should buy Game Arts out. That or they wanted a permanent smash bros. staff consisting of Game Arts and 2 other companies.
It's one thing to toss in new talent in with veterans - they gotta learn with first hand experience. It's another to toss them into relatively unexplored territory.
The whole idea was brand new and kinda wacky. Honestly, I actually felt pre-Brawl the company was Square Enix, Capcom, or Konami.
I was referring to the Adventure Mode for him addressing to an audience with a subpar entree. It has a great concept, but it has little to no playability, tried implementing Pokemon mechanics in a fighting game, stupidly limited itself to miming, etc. In short, it's a great concept executed horribly.
The SSE was a poor man's Kirby game. Sakurai should have had a specific team to make it, and should have had his focused minimally on it. I think he should have asked say Miyamoto, Retro Studios, or Nintendo EAD to help develop it. Really anyone with experience with 2D platforme/adventure games would do (Konami's Castlevania branch?).

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@John: Poor man's Kirby game? But it costs more than most of the Kirby games do! :laugh:

Top 5 franchises? Hmmm...
In no order:
1. Kirby
2. Pokemon
3. Paper Mario
4. WarioWare
5. Starfy

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The SSE was a poor man's Kirby game. Sakurai should have had a specific team to make it, and should have had his focused minimally on it. I think he should have asked say Miyamoto, Retro Studios, or Nintendo EAD to help develop it. Really anyone with experience with 2D platforme/adventure games would do (Konami's Castlevania branch?).
As I've said before, making SSE a Metroidvania game would've been awesome.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Poppy
It's a rich man's poor excuse for a Kirby game Mr. "I'm so technical with my words." :smirk: :cool: ;) :grin: :laugh: :chuckle: :lol: :rotfl: :joyful:
As I've said before, making SSE a Metroidvania game would've been awesome.
That and combine elements of Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Castlevania, Sonic the Hedgehog, and even Zelda II into it.

Oh, and if they really wanted to copy the Kirby game format, stick to it, instead of trying to make it its' own new awkward thing. It was executed very weirdly.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
My ideal story mode would be with the fanservicey levels of Melee's adventure mode with the Boss fights of Brawl.

now my top 5:

Mario
Zelda
Metroid
Kirby
Pokemon

my favorite one shot game is Drill Dozer.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
^^^ My top 5 Nintendo franchises would have to be Super Mario, the Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong (Country), Metroid, and MOTHER/EarthBound (minus Smash). This sounds like it could be fun though. So let me ask y'all this question-what are your top 5 or so favorite Nintendo franchises (minus Smash, for obvious reasons)=???
Sure thing. I'll rank them from my last favorite to my first.

5: Sin and Punishment - This game is everything I love about arcade shooters and schmups rolled into one package. Although there has only been two games I find myself enjoying the gameplay that both titles present. To me Sin and Punishment is a better Star Fox. Everything I liked about Star Fox 64, Sin and Punishment did better. The environment is so much different than any other Nintendo series I have played, which is a part of the appeal for me.

4: Pikmin - Yay! Who doesn't love those little guys? I just love the way this game presents itself. A small creature, with a band of even smaller creatures, trying to survive in a strange world where any number of predators could be just around the corner. The luscious, natural environments have always been extremely well done. The strategy of the gameplay is very engaging, which is something I was skeptical of before playing the series. I have such an obsession with trying to keep every Pikmin alive that it almost becomes an added challenge.

3: Donkey Kong Country - Want to talk about nostalgia shock? This series is the highlight of my childhood gaming experience with the SNES. In particular Donkey Kong Country 2 holds a dear place in my heart because of the reason behind why I got the game, and the game itself. The rich ambiance surrounding each level and environment absolutely blew my mind as a child. RARE's obsession with collect-a-thon mechanics in their games kept me playing for years. Even today with Donkey Kong Country Returns I still find the same enjoyment playing it that I did years ago.

2: Legend of Zelda (2D) - In my mind I typically split the 3D and 2D Zelda titles from each other. It is not to say games like Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are bad games; but compared to A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, The Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and even the Four Swords Adventures; I just have more fun with my top down adventures. Perhaps it is my antiquated, nostalgic self, but I have such fondness with those titles that fit into that category and only wish that someday Nintendo will revisit a style similar to Four Swords Adventures, but without the linearity.

1: Kirby - Shocking I know, but Kirby has to be the one series I have the most fun with, even more than Mario. Every single game I have played in the Kirby series is filled with an enormous amount of charm and ingenuity. It is simple, and not very long or difficult, yet somehow I am always engaged in the gameplay and find myself rooting for Kirby more than I do any other character in Nintendo's portfolio. Perhaps it is his big eyes and innocent demeanor, whatever it is, I just love that little tough, pink puff known as Kirby.

Honorable Mention: Metroid, Paper Mario

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You guys aren't putting Smash itself in your Top 5? :awesome:

Let's see... for me it'd probably be:

Smash
Animal Crossing
Pokemon
Mario
Metroid

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Top 5 franchises? Hmmm...
In no order:
1. Kirby
2. Pokemon
3. Paper Mario
4. WarioWare
5. Starfy
Can't say I can pick a favorite if I can't say Smash Brothers, so in no order as well like Poppy:

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Pokemon
3. Mario
4. Pikmin
5. Mario RPGs (the Paper Marios, the SNES game, and the handhelds. Is it wrong to group them together, even when Paper Mario was just going to be called SMRPG 2?)

Kirby and Donkey Kong are okay, they just can't compare to me. Unfortunately not too big on F-Zero and Starfox, or even Metroid (though Metroid certainly goes above those last two but not above the first two.)

Still trudging through Pikmin 2. I have to say, this game is probably one of the best Nintendo games I have played on the Wii, and it's a Gamecub port. Funny how that works. Pikmin is just such a fun series, I am so excited for Pikmin 3. This series is definitely in my Top 5 Nintendo series category.

It also makes me enjoy using Olimar even more in Brawl. I'll be intrigued to see if Olimar ends up being able to use all of the new Pikmin.
It is nice to hear the Pikmin love. :) Hope Pikmin starts to become one of the big franchises, I really think it has something to offer just as much as the others.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've been thinking that all along. A strategy game focused on the Pikmin with the stylus needs to happen.

That and a Shy Guy game where you play in a world of Shy guys and you can collect masks like in Majora's and when you put each on you turn into the various types of Shy Guys

I'm a genius.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
5. Animal Crossing

4. 3D Mario Platformers

3. Professor Layton (IT'S A NINTENDO SERIES TO ME LEAVE ME ALONE.)

2. Pikmin

1. Pokémon

Honorable Mention: Wario Land, Kid Icarus (particularly Uprising), and Drill Dozer.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
1. Pokemon
2. Mario Kart
3. Kirby
4. Mario (3D)
5. Donkey Kong Country

Without Smash, of course. Which would be number two.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
Smash would have been 1 but it's omitted for obvious reasons...

1. Metroid
2. Pokemon
3. The Legend of Zelda
4. Fire Emblem
5. Mother (your mom)

honourable mention goes to Mario Kart

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Top 5?

Fire Emblem
Pokemon
Kid Icarus
Kirby
Pikmin

In no particular order and not including Smash.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Top 5? Hmmm

Not including Smash, I guess for me, it would go:

1. Pokemon
2. Donkey Kong
3. Super Mario (both 3D and 2D)
4. Metroid
5. F-Zero

Honorable Mentions: Star Fox, Wario Land

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Oasis
I said no smash.... preferably... :p
I'm postive he said it was the hardest and the stuff SmashChu good at pointing out. He maybe could use some ideas, though with his developing style I don't see him taking much, I myself can only see him taking no Stamina PT and no Tripping.

EDIT: Wait, he said it was sharp, but too difficult. lol
Smooth (Criminal?) was the word. Okay, I was close. :smirk: But yes, that analysis by Sakurai was the best. He worked the hardest on that game (his hours were insane), and he definitely put more into Melee than any other game. Seeing as how where Smash Bros.' popularity took off and the reason many people owned a GameCube, taking most of the concepts from it seems to be the most natural idea, especially given this statement by Sakurai. Sakurai can make the learning curve steeper but easier to climb.

But yes, such a game could be made easier with HAL Laboratories' involvement. I've been preaching this for several years! :bee:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't see how anyone could even entertain the idea that we'll ever have a Smash even close to Melee again after reading this:

"But why did I target it so squarely toward people well-versed in videogames, then? That's why I tried to aim for more of a happy medium with Brawl's play balance. There are three Smash Bros. games out now, but even if I ever had a chance at another one, I doubt we'll ever see one that's as geared toward hardcore gamers as Melee was. Melee fans who played deep into the game without any problems might have trouble understanding this, but Melee was just too difficult."

Looking forward to Brawl 2.0.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Side note: I forgot to add Paper Mario, F-Zero, Yoshi, Wario Land, Golden Sun, and especially Pokémon [my #6] as "honorable mentions"

@ shorts
I've never asked this before, but I'm curious; are you what you consider to be a "competitive" smasher=???

@ Oasis
I think Sakurai meant specifically geared towards competitive players. Sakurai is trying to incorporate as many fans, fan bases, gamers, and really everyone he can to like smash bros., and enjoy it. Of course, having that ridiculous amount of characters, history, content, single-player modes, multiplayer modes, abilities, strategies, items, stages, etc. helps.

Edit: Also, to be fair to Sakurai, he did say that Melee was the most "polished" game if I remember correctly, and he basically said he felt it was the best smash bros. game.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I play with competitive type rules. (Stock, no items), but don't cut down stage selection much, and I'll play with more than two players.

But I'm a casual player. Just not accepting of balls gameplay.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
I doubt we'll ever see one that's as geared toward hardcore gamers as Melee was.

ohhh, this isn't violent anymore... this is a T rating by todays standards

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Hell yeah

I love that fatality

Simple, yet effective

Anyway, I don't want just Melee 2.0 or Brawl 2.0, I want something a little different from both of those. And that's exactly what Sakurai is planning on doing/will do for Smash 4

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ shortie
What's funny is most of the friendlies matches (in whatever smash game or mod) I have at tournaments I play on banned stages and I do either FFA's or 2v2! :laugh:

I used to play with items a few matches at every tournament I went to with Melee and Brawl, but then I faced great Ice Climbers players. Freaking those characters are beyond broken with items. For all those who whine "but the game would be better balanced with items" haven't faced a great Ice Climbers Melee/Brawl player with items. The Ice Climbers in Melee can 0 to KO you with several melee items. In Brawl they can get you up to 100% super fast, in part because just about ever item in Brawl are super broken! :laugh:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I hope their is more Gym Leader/Pokemon Trainer trophies in SSB4.

I want Misty and Bianca.

Also, way better than original designs.

Bianca is SO gay.

This one is cool too

[COLLAPSE="BOOM"]
[/COLLAPSE]

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I wonder if there'll be a Project B for when Smash 4 comes out. :awesome:

But yeah, I'm expecting something different than both Melee and Brawl (though I'd say closer to Brawl between the two).

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Gym Leader trophies? Hell yeah

I want mah Professor Oak trophy, too

Better yet, why not give him a Easter Egg codec on a Pokemon stage like what Star Fox and Metal Gear have

"Are you a boy or a girl"

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Metal
I think mostly everyone agrees with that. Personally, I want two games with completely different engines, gameplay (although maybe the same moveset), and physics.

You know, kinda like Melee and Brawl, but the same characters, stages, items, and nearly entirely (if not entirely) the same moves.

@ shortie
Agreed. Truth be told, we just need more trophies in general. Also, I see no reason every trophy from Melee and Brawl couldn't be in Smash Wii U and/or Smash 3DS.

@ Triple Dash
That probably will happen along with Smash Wii U/3DS plus/minus/balanced, and Project M 2.0 and 64! :laugh:

Actually, I would love to see Melee and Brawl get a Project 64 mod. :smirk: That would be quite interesting, actually... :bee:

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
oh! those are gender bends! i thought it was B&W2 art... lol that bianca could still pass as a girl imo

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Speaking of 64, that game had some awesome sound effects

Some of the spin kicks Fox and IIRC a couple of others used to do in the game sounded like a machine/gatling gun, lol

Why do those trainer designs remind me of Deadman Wonderland :/

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Actually, I expect both these games to have Melee-esk offensive power (maybe a few returning techniques, like the big bubble shield, dash dancing, more double jump cancelling, more cancelling in general, actually). Also, more ability to kill foes off the stage. The off the stage game in Brawl was snore worthy. Hopefully the edge grab invincibility frames aren't as high and it is easier to punish foes off the stage by gimping them than it was in Brawl (with most of the roster) to punish foes for poorly spacing/recovering.

Then add some of the Brawl defensive tactics, techniques (specifically the individual ones or ones that only a few characters use), some of the same physics (although more advanced; I'm not sure if the Havok engine will return), and a lot of the momentum-based things like sliding to return. And of course, make clones very drastically different from the characters they are based off, but expand it (at least with most of the clones) to where they are basically "on the verge" of being completely original. Oh, and dat DI!

@ Metal Overlord
Have you ever heard the sound effects from the Japanese version of Smash 64=??? They are totally different. (the Japanese version has a lot of small character differences).

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
oh! those are gender bends! i thought it was B&W2 art... lol that bianca could still pass as a girl imo
He's soooo cute. My Trainer has a crush on him.

Anyways, enough being gay on the internet. Time to go to pride and be gay IRL. *groans*

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh, yeah, one more thing.

Toad/Junior > Waluigi
Prince Fluff/Magalor/Bandana Dee > Knuckle Joe

for AT's right?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I had actually already starting watching the first video when you linked the other one, lol

But yeah... those sound effects ALONE make me want to hook up my N64 and play Smash again

I would do it now but I don't have a TV that I can hook it up too

And that MK64 commercial... Nintendo, y u no make commercials like that and this anymore

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This may interest some people. Apparently there is a possibility The Last Story might get a sequel on the Wii U.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Metal
That Smash 64 American trailer was amazing. I remember watching that and laughing at that every time I watched it.

Also, the English Melee commercials were crap. Like this one. Ironically, they do say the word "Brawl" in it! :laugh: The Japanese Melee commercials were OP though, like this one.

Also, I don't get why all the freaking Brawl commercials had everyone playing with the Wiimote and Nunchuck. Who still plays with that setup=??? :laugh:

@ Star
You got sources mai smash brothah=???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom