• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@ Star
You got sources mai smash brothah=???
Bunch of hinting by Takuya Matsumoto, producer of the game. Apparently he and Sakaguchi are really excited about the Wii U.

Going on a tangent here, but I've been saying that with the Wii U you are going to see a split in support. Hearing how much trouble Japanese studios have had transitioning to the HD age I have a feeling there will be much more support coming from Japanese studios versus Western studios. The next console generation is going to be the "Bleeding Edge" generation, and in the long run, Nintendo may look like the wiser company. Just my little "prediction."

-J-

Smash Rookie
Huh, ironic. I actually had just finished an couple hour long session of Smash 64 with a friend this morning. Good stuff. I've always appreciated the super comic book-like nature of it in comparison to Melee and Brawl. Sure, it's a "crazily unbalanced mess", but it's the "crazily unbalanced mess", and that's what makes it totally fun in my eyes. It's also the only game which I'm actually attracted to playing as and maining Mario, for some reason. Fun facts.

Absolutely love those old commercials, too. Making me all nostalgia hard already, and I've only been a member for less than half an hour? That's a new record. :p I was just a kid when the 64 came out. Smash had me hooked from the first time I had ever rented it from Blockbuster at like, six.

As far as the Wii U iteration goes, I know we're in for a fight of epic proportions here (at least, you know, ten to fifteen characters more than Brawl, that is :>), so I just hope we get a more proper online experience. Brawl's Wi-Fi Room for me was all kinds of laggy or buggy, but I LOVE the idea of playing with all of my Smash friends all around without those types of communications problems, and with all of this focus they've had with pre-E3 "Miiverse" events and all, I don't think we'll have that sort of problem. This is bound to be great.

As far as newcomers go, I just really want to see those who would've been obvious for a Brawl or Melee inclusion included now. King K. Rool, for instance. I'd also personally love to see Shulk, though I know that's like a 50/50 shot right now. Everyone at that cancer GameFAQs board for SSBU likes to bash me and others with a similar mindset just for that. No likey. Just my wants, though. Not going to force 'em down anyone else's throat.

The "lol it's not gonna happen" want for me? Momohime from Muramasa: The Demon Blade. Now that'd be unreasonably badass. Loved that game with a burning passion.

@Star - I've heard of that rumor passing around GoNintendo. The Last Story, to me, was a piece of writing genius. I do hope we see a sequel, just to knock Sakaguchi out of retirement one last time. That'd be so great. There's lots of untapped game potential there that shouldn't go to waste.

@Yuiitusin's post below me lololol - I know right! I loved those guys; wouldn't mind if we see them again this next generation. They provided much lulz. And thanks for the welcome! LOL @ the PlasmaCannon bit. Yeah, I don't think anyone can quite take him so seriously, anyway. It's a bit of a nice comedy act seeing some of his posts. :p Lip, I do agree with him would be nice to see in some form, though.

D

Deleted member

Lol, I forgot about those "Wii would like to play" guys! I wonder why they haven't appeared in commercials for quite a bit...?
@J: The only one I've seen being very vocal against Shulk was PlasmaCannon, but he's a big douche anyway that just hates everything that's not Lip.
Welcome aboard.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Star
Yeah, okay, thanks. That game is still on my Wii list. I got a lot of "great" GameCube and Wii games left to play.

Also, I agree with your assessment. Nintendo budding up with Ubisoft is smart, since that company keeps growing, and they have become if not THE elite 3rd party Western company, than one of the leading elite 3rd party companies (move aside EA). Budding up with Square Enix (specifically for Dragon Quest) is also going to help in the long run. Seeing as how EA isn't afraid of Nintendo helps too, of course. That's why I'm not worried about the Wii U, or even the 3DS. In the long run, they'll both have great game libraries.

Plus Nintendo has some great new 1st/2nd party studios, which they didn't really have in the N64, GameCube, and early Wii era (Retro Studios aside). They seemed to have gotten better at picking out video game developer/studio/personal "prospects" and really growing them into great game designers. They have many great companies in their arsenal now.

@ (Agent?) -J-
Everyone knows the online multiplayer needs to be better, which is why Nintendo focused so much of everything on it.

Also, most of us here see K. Rool as either very likely, a near shoe-in, or a shoe-in character. Personally, I fit into the latter.

As for Shulk, there are divisions of opinions on his chances, but no real opposition to Shulk being playable here (unless you make it a scenario like "Shulk vs. another character). Our opinions on Shulk's chances here generally range from possible but not likely to fairly close to a shoe-in. I don't personally have a good estimate/opinion on Shulk's "chances."

Then again, I like to view everything based on who I think will be "considered" (which I think is like 80-200 characters, and is slowly condensed into the final roster).

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
HOLY CRAP ORANGE GAME-A-CUBE

To this day, I STILL want one of those

Yeah, the Japanese Melee commercials are a lot better; the early GCN commercials were weird, including the English Melee one

I get the whole "It's not just any fighting game" aspect of it, but wtf does samurais fighting in a mall have to do with Smash :laugh:

As for the Brawl commercials... yeah, those were pretty lame. I think the most ridiculous of all those "Wii Would Like To Play" commercials would have to be the one for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Anyway, here's some more nostalgiac Nintendo commercial goodness:

Fruit By the Foot N64 conmmercial
SM64 "Got Milk" commercial
Majora's Mask Japanese Commercial
Funny Pokemon Commercial from the 90s

-J-

Smash Rookie
@John
I actually have become more of a passerby since the transition to the U board from the Brawl board at GameFAQs, but I used to be active a few years back under "FE411" and displayed myself as a possibly annoying, fourteen-ish Fire Emblem fan. :p Nowadays, I just stalk those boards and view some of the new topics that might strike my fancy. There's such a rigid division there on so many things, it kinda gets your brain juices flowing and you end up finding half of the others there are possibly annoying, fourteen-ish posters like I was a while back, ha-ha.

Nonetheless, yeah, King K. Rool I've always viewed as a shoe-in type, and generally liked. With DK stepping back into the spotlight again (regardless of K. Rool's exclusion from Returns or not), it's especially likely we'll see SOMETHING of K. Rool now, and I reckon it'll be a playable spot.

As for Shulk, I can at least understand why people would view him at about 50% likely or less, and I actually agree with the former. No one knows his actual chances since there's so many unique denominators to take into mind- that he's in a new IP, Operation Rainfall "influence", etc., don't really give nor take away his chances, in my mind. If he's in, it'll be one of those on-a-whim decisions that I'd personally be all-for. Either/or, it's no biggie, but it'd be cool.

Then again, I like to view everything based on who I think will be "considered" (which I think is like 80-200 characters, and is slowly condensed into the final roster).
This is actually very smart. There's a boatload of characters to add into the roster- there's no way we can actually reach an agreement everyone can 100% say they resonate with. Building an idea of who might be considered and who is just impossible seems like the more plausible way to go about things.

Metal Overlord said:
I remember loving this when it first aired. ejdoejosdjfcjeo

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
HOLY CRAP ORANGE GAME-A-CUBE

To this day, I STILL want one of those

Yeah, the Japanese Melee commercials are a lot better; the early GCN commercials were weird, including the English Melee one

I get the whole "It's not just any fighting game" aspect of it, but wtf does samurais fighting in a mall have to do with Smash :laugh:

As for the Brawl commercials... yeah, those were pretty lame. I think the most ridiculous of all those "Wii Would Like To Play" commercials would have to be the one for Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Anyway, here's some more nostalgiac Nintendo commercial goodness:

Fruit By the Foot N64 conmmercial
SM64 "Got Milk" commercial
Majora's Mask Japanese Commercial
Funny Pokemon Commercial from the 90s
Man, those old commercials were definitely the best.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Metal
HAHA, that Mario "Got Milk?" commercial was one of the funniest gaming commercials ever.

Yeah, the early GameCube marketing was horrible. Who the heck wants to see someone locked in a cube=??? How is that appealing to anyone but S&M folks=??? :chuckle: They tried to make everything dramatic. That Wind Waker commercial was awful. I mean, the game is cel-shaded! :laugh: If that was Twilight Princess or Majora's Mask, that would make sense!

Also, the "Wii would like to Play" commercials were nice, but I agree. The Brawl one was "awkward." The Metroid Prime 3 one was just

Also, the American Pokémon Red and Blue commercial with the bus driver was freaking funny. Nintendo's worldwide marketing for Pokémon (specifically the canon games and sometimes even the spin-off games and card games) has been nothing short of amazing since day 1. They are like Apple (with anything involving an "i") in that regard.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Indeed Wizzy

Yeah John, I think the only commercials for a gaming console that were as weird as the GCN's were the Sega Saturn's

Seriously, WTF is this (as funny as it is)

Huh, ironic. I actually had just finished an couple hour long session of Smash 64 with a friend this morning. Good stuff. I've always appreciated the super comic book-like nature of it in comparison to Melee and Brawl. Sure, it's a "crazily unbalanced mess", but it's the "crazily unbalanced mess", and that's what makes it totally fun in my eyes. It's also the only game which I'm actually attracted to playing as and maining Mario, for some reason. Fun facts.
Don't even know why, but I thought the 64 version of Mario was the best, too

Also, who needs GameFAQs, anyway, when you have us now ;)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You know what's mean=???

Your fix breaking something that was perfect. Because your fix was actually a break.

You broke your bone now... WEAKLING!!!

@ Metal
That dude in the beginning looks like and sounds like he is from the movie 300.

Also, I just saw a "Miller 64 (calorie)" beery commercial. Does playing a N64 while drinking that reduce the calories=??? :awesome:

-J-

Smash Rookie
Don't even know why, but I thought the 64 version of Mario was the best, too

Also, who needs GameFAQs, anyway, when you have us now ;)
Mario just is somehow cooler in the 64 version's lighting or something, dunno.
There's just something charming about the overall package, I suppose. :p Great minds think alike.

And that is very true. ;D mfw

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
N64 does everything and anything you want it to do :shades:

I still haven't seen 300 yet

Although yeah, I should probably take off the nostalgia goggles for now and get back on topic, haha

@J- Yeah, I thought Smash 64 had the best atmosphere, honestly

I really liked how cartoony it was

M Bison's "Yes!" just never gets old to me lol

-J-

Smash Rookie
@Metal - It definitely did, and I agree for the same reason. Loved that cartoony feel! I prefer the gameplay of the later games since they became more fine-tuned and "tight" control-wise, but the atmosphere of 64 will never cease to "get" me.

Also, my God, I love TFS. My ex-girlfriend got me into those videos and to this day (we're still friends), we end up on marathons together. I remember first laughing with the "Piccolo is a Yoshi" one, or something along those lines.

Mewtwo definitely should be returning!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mewtwo had tiny hit boxes, awkward moves, and like one strength (his great recovery and maybe his ability to teleport). He was weak, slow, light, and easy to juggle.

It literally is not hard at all to fix that. Give him a ton of weight, more kill power, more range, some new attacks with loads of range, and actual hit boxes! :grin:

Also, watch 2:35 to 2:44 in this video for some epic lulz! :laugh:

-J-

Smash Rookie
Thanks, Smooth Criminal! Perchance, are you named after one of my favorite Michael Jackson songs, or is that some extreme coincidence? :p The warm welcome from you lot is appreciated.

I agree that it won't be epically hard to change Mewtwo for the better. I don't have very many doubts that they -wouldn't- change him for the better after that not-so-well received Melee rendition and his exclusion from Brawl that got the fans all lit up.

@John - LOL. It makes me wonder if that actually happened.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't say give him a ton of weight. I mean, it sort of makes sense that since he floats all the time, that he'd be light, as he's technically making himself lighter to float.

But he needs to NOT be a lightweight. Heavy-middleweight to light-heavyweight would be best, like around R.O.B.'s weight.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mewtwo weighs 269 pounds in the Pokémon games. I think we should switch his weight with Charizard (who only weighs a bit over 100 pounds; also, give Charizard speed and combos). I think Mewtwo would be an effective floaty, good recovering, and somewhat strong character with few kill moves but great range.

That would at least be an interesting direction for Mewtwo. Really, any direction is better than the direction-less Melee Mewtwo! :laugh:

That or just make Mewtwo OP at everything... like Project M Lucario! :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo weighs 269 pounds in the Pokémon games. I think we should switch his weight with Charizard (who only weighs a bit over 100 pounds; also, give Charizard speed and combos). I think Mewtwo would be an effective floaty, good recovering, and somewhat strong character with few kill moves but great range. That would at least be an interesting direction for Mewtwo.

That or just make Mewtwo OP at everything... like Project M Lucario! :awesome:
Wario is around 300 lbs. and is only 1 step higher than R.O.B. on the weight list.
Mewtwo would be fine at R.O.B.'s level.
Charizard should be lower on the list yes, but Mewtwo should NOT be where Charizard is currently at.

EDIT: And then factor in that Wario doesn't have psychic powers to make him lighter to levitate, so I'm actually being a little "generous" with Mewtwo being near his level.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Really, Smash's weight tier and difference is minimal and kinda dumb. :laugh:

Also, I do agree Mewtwo shouldn't be where Charizard is at. I also think that Snake should be lower, and Bowser should be way higher. I like having something of a "big gap" between the heavy and the light (although super duper lightweights should have super combos).

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
100% agreed Golden

It's kinda hard to explain, but I remember someone on here from like a WHILE back (I think it was John) saying that Mewtwo should feel like a powerhouse. They went on to say that wouldn't mean they would actually be overpowered or anything... just that he would have that badass aura around him while controlling him that he didn't really have in Melee. His moves would sort of feel heavyhanded when you execute them. Definitely agree with that

I also agree that Mewtwo should have like a floaty-type of playstyle

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
D

Deleted member

Exactly. Mewtwo should be given a little more weight in Smash due to being a large target.

Large target + light weight + slowish attacks + limited power = Disaster

All Mewtwo really needs is a little more weight and kill power, and he's good to go. Maybe a couple more reliable specials wouldn't hurt either.

Or instead of making him heavier, give him quite a bit of kill power and make him a straight example of a Glass Cannon.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I've always said Mewtwo should have a wide (and sometimes tall) hit boxes with his psychic attacks, not a ton of kill power (maybe one slow smash attack plus Shadow Ball), quite a lot of weight (make him somewhere between a middleweight and a heavyweight), a few short 2-3 move combos, and the same great recovery.

And Metal, I agree. Mewtwo not being floaty would be very weird. Mewtwo is the perfect floaty mid-heavyweight/heavyweight character (idea).
How about the canon weights shouldn't be reflected at all because it's only a product of balance.
It depends what you mean by that. If you mean Olimar shouldn't weight 1 microgram and Bowser shouldn't weight 10 tons, agreed.

If you mean Olimar's weight should be similar to Bowser's, then no. I just would personally like a bigger gap between the heaviest and lightest characters. I mean, Bowser needs something to stop making him a trash character in each smash bros. game! :laugh:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
[COLLAPSE="This will be my facial expression and reaction if Mewtwo is in the next Smash Bros. game, is fun to play as, and is not super weak (like he was in Melee):"]
[/COLLAPSE]

-J-

Smash Rookie
@Smooth Criminal - Nice! I love both major renditions of the song for what they each offer- and that 8-bit remix is pretty darn cool!

LOL @ John's Mewtwo reaction post.
Gotta love that image.

Some bits here and there.

Definitely not a balanced series, but some parts were tried.
^ This.

Too bad Zoroark will be in it instead and cause yet another ****storm in the community.
LOL.

"Mewtwo would be fine at R.O.B.'s level."
- Around this in-game weight "feel" would be perfectly acceptable, I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom