• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Saki is DEFINITELY one of my most wanted characters for Smash now

Dat Ruffian form

Anyway, John, I really don't see how Waluigi could be a Wario clone at all. They aren't even built the same lol

I doubt Waluigi would have a farting move and a chomping move

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Toise.

How important would you say popularity is in character selection. We say it a lot, but it's not something that could be measured, so it's not something Sakurai could really pay attention. Despite that, we just seem to "know" who is more popular, so I guess he could just "know" too. Then we have guys like Geno and Waluigi, who are really popular for whatever reason, but they're not going to happen. So popularity by itself isn't the greatest determining factor.

I used to think popularity was just something that could get Sakurai's attention, and if that choice was particularly interesting, then they had a good shot. It's simple, and that's usually best, but I'm not sure it's really the best way to look at things.

So I guess a more open-ended question would be what criteria is actually important. One could probably just say "whatever Sakurai likes," but it's better to ask "why does Sakurai like this." I MEAN WE'RE ALL JUST TRYING TO THINK LIKE SAKURAI HERE.
I know it's for Toise, but I'll give an answer.

To Sakurai popularity is important. Sales too? Recent happening? And how unique or interesting the character is. The thing is all these things matter in their own way, but one is not better than the other. Sakurai does try to add characters people really want and some they don't ask for. The rosters of Smash are really good because they take a bit of everything and look at the big picture. In thinking like Sakurai, you should look at everything but don't hone in one one specific characteristic.

Also ignoring Warheart_666 for the stupid pony avatar. Less ponies we have the better.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Anyway, John, I really don't see how Waluigi could be a Wario clone at all. They aren't even built the same lol
Neither are Mario and Luigi.... if you are talking about body composition.
I doubt Waluigi would have a farting move and a chomping move
I don't have a hard time seeing Waluigi chomping a foe. I do have a hard time seeing him put half of a character in his mouth! :laugh:

Still, just because I said Waluigi could easily be a clone of Wario doesn't mean Waluigi would copy every move of Wario has! ;)

I don't think we're ever seeing those types of clones/clones to that degree ever again in Super Smash Bros. :ohwell:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
This is pretty much the luckiest post ever. Just saiyan.

Also, I want to see stuff from Fossil Fighters. Music, items, heck, even a character. Anything it can get.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Also, don't know if this has been posted yet, but the next FE DLC character is Celica from Gaiden.
Totally missed that. lol

I'm loving her redesign, like Alm's, it's probably one of the most radical redesigns seeing as Gaiden hasn't gotten any new artwork in twenty years.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah, T-Rex for assist trophy.

Also, how about Junior/Toad for assist Trophy? ****in' Waluigi getting in the way.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Mewtwo is a clone of Mew

EDIT: Damn, John beat me to it :urg:

Johnknight1 said:
Still, just because I said Waluigi could easily be a clone of Wario doesn't mean Waluigi would copy every move of Wario has!
Well, how would he be a clone then :laugh:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Metal
You do realize we still consider Lucas a "clone" of Ness despite only 5 or so moves that are borrowed from Ness (well, kinda not his neutral B).

I mean, if we can see clones of characters with virtually none of the same grab throws, aerials, tilts, and smashes as the characters they are partially copied off of, then why can't a clone or two have few or none or few of special moves borrowed from the character they are partially a copy of=???

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@ Metal
You do realize we still consider Lucas a "clone" of Ness despite only 5 or so moves that are borrowed from Ness (well, kinda not his neutral B).

I mean, if we can see clones of characters with virtually none of the same grab throws, aerials, tilts, and smashes as the characters they are partially copied off of, then why can't a clone or two have few or none or few of special moves borrowed from the character they are partially a copy of=???
B-Moves. Don't even pretend like those aren't the most OBVIOUS moves that are taken from other characters. You're playing dumb.

If you want people to stop complaining about clones, they need to get new B-Moves.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Gosh. I've become so conservative, it's hard for me to actually make a roster fit my expected number of characters.

IT'S NOT LIKE THERE'S A SHORTAGE OF CHARACTERS, but when I get to about 7 slots left, adding one means adding another in a similar position, oh but wait now I can't fit this other group, well fine I'll cut these guys OH BUT THIS BUT THAT...

Making rosters is very Serious business.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Five character cuts? God damn.

Sonic, Snake, Lucario/PT, Toon Link.... Lucas/Ike/Wolf?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I don't really care about how many new characters we get

Just give me my Mewtwo/Roy/Goroh/K. Rool/Little Mac and no cuts and I'll gladly STFU, I care about modes more, anyway

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Can't really see us getting character cuts with the exception of 3rd parties or that Sakurai redesigns the roster from scratch (Smash 5?) to make it either the same number of characters as Brawl or less. Toon and Young are the same thing to me.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Trainer, Lucas, Wolf? Get out.
Hey, he's the one who brought it up, not me. Plus, Pokemon Trainer is a PoS concept that I will never get over. #NoRants

Okay, if this was revealed as the SMash4 roster, would you like it, what would you rate it, and why?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Have anyone heard that Miyamoto wants to make a first person shooter? This would be the perfect oppurtunity to earn more hardcore gamers.

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
B-Moves. Don't even pretend like those aren't the most OBVIOUS moves that are taken from other characters. You're playing dumb.

If you want people to stop complaining about clones, they need to get new B-Moves.
*plays devil's advocate* If having 5 of the same moves makes a character a clone, then literally half of the Smash 64 cast can be considered a "clone." So many characters borrowed Mario's sex kick (nAir), back air kick, up air kick, down air kick, punching forward smash, leg sweep down smash, and various tilts.

Still, you are right. I do think many clones could use new special moves. For example, Lucas could use a revamped down B and/or neutral B (or new ones entirely) and probably a new forward B. His up B should stay (mostly) the same though. That and give his forward smash a new effect and/or animation to further differentiate from Ness' forward smash.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Have anyone heard that Miyamoto wants to make a first person shooter? This would be the perfect oppurtunity to earn more hardcore gamers.
I hardly consider FPS gamers "hardcore" anything, other than "hardcore babies." Especially console FPS gamers.

Also, what is the definition of "hardcore gamers"=??? I heard this term used so loosely, and nearly always Western gamers apply it mostly to or only FPS, competitive fighting game, sandbox, and action RPG gamers. This term is used so loosely, yet no one defines it. And for some reason, they tend to treat fans of many Nintendo series, including Mario (the defining series in all of video games), out of the equation. Quite frankly, FPS are mostly repetitive crap. Although there are great ones; BioShock, TF2, CS, Golden Eye, etc.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hey, he's the one who brought it up, not me. Plus, Pokemon Trainer is a PoS concept that I will never get over. #NoRants

Okay, if this was revealed as the SMash4 roster, would you like it, what would you rate it, and why?

Probably would be the best Smash ever.
Somehow, people would still complain.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
StarFox is set for a while, okay with Ghirahim.

Silly.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
You're the one who made the roster, then asked for input, sillier.

And there's the fact that I like Ghirahim as a character more. Which is an opinion, like all the other things I said.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Not that I think Krystal isn't a good idea, I just think she's out-prioritized currently is all. Mix that in with the fact that I just like Ghirahim more, and that's where my entirely subjective opinion comes from.

I'm not a Krystal-hater, foo.

Thanks muchly, R.O.B.!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, it's good. The only things I don't like is no Lucario and the Diddy Dixie team. Still a really good roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom