• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yeah, it's good. The only things I don't like is no Lucario and the Diddy Dixie team. Still a really good roster.
I tried to keep everyone. But I thought people would freak out more if Toon Link was cut, we still got Ghirahim, and we had five Pokemon. So kept Toon Link around, and cut Lucario.

Who has more priority over her that isn't already on the roster? Peppy? Lip? Andross? The roster has 95% of all the popular choices.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I see some things I like and some things I dislike. I could live with it, not that it would stop me complaining occationally (Lucario).

I'm cool with Diddy/Dixie, might get rid of those dumb banana peels. :p

@Yani: I saw that. Certainly would make for a more interesting game either of the two upcoming NSMB games. Just have levels that change from regular Mario platforming to Doki Doki Panic style and you have a a winner.

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
Have anyone heard that Miyamoto wants to make a first person shooter? This would be the perfect oppurtunity to earn more hardcore gamers.
Depends on what you mean by hardcore gamers.
If you mean those that like Nintendo and Miyamoto, then I can see that happening.

If you mean those that likes FPS games, then I'm not sure...
Most people (but not all) that like FPS games are probably going to stick with their favorite game(s) like CoD or something similar. I'm pretty sure that the community isn't very open-minded, if someone suggests a new game for them, they probably say that the game is boring or it sucks, even though they haven't played the game. They don't like drastic changes because they are so much into the games that they currently like.
But then there's those that hate CoD, but how many of them actually plays FPS games? I have no idea...

I'm not saying that the FPS genre has necessarily ruined the gaming community, it's just different or should I say divided...

If Miyamoto knows what he's doing, then I don't see any reason why he shouldn't try...
I'm just a little worried that how can a Japanase company compete with the Western ones, especially when it comes to the FPS genre.
If we can see something similar to Portal 2 or something revolutionary, then I say YES!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ yani
Now me saying Wart is a "dark horse" playable character choice doesn't seem so crazy... :smirk:

@ Shortie
Toad, Zoroark, Waddle Dee, Porky, and Ghirahim feel like filler character additions. Like they don't belong with the rest of your roster.

Also, the lack of 3rd party characters leaves much to be desired. I think nearly all of us would prefer Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, etc. to those 4 characters I just mentioned.

Lastly, Dixie/Diddy would be the most broken team ever, and would actually require more work than making them as separate entities. That and the balancing to make them work and not be broken would be way more trouble than it is worth.

That's why tag team characters aren't in very many fighting games, unless the roster is small-ish, or it is a tag-team fighting game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We need an Ufouria-style Mario game with Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad in Subcon.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@Shorts Talking about that is dangerous business, since it so closely borders pure opinion.

In descending order:

Lucario, AC character, character from franchise created in the last few years.

I've already discussed AC characters and Lucario, so allow me to elaborate on the last one.

I acknowledge that Shulk fits the criteria I've listed, but I feel that the roster could stand to have another very recent addition. This could be Miyamoto's new IP (if it isn't too late) or a quirky Rhythm Heaven based character, or perhaps another choice. I really believe the middle option has established itself as a strong, popular Nintendo series now, and any character included from the series would be a really unique addition if done right (which it would be).

That's not to say I don't feel that other characters on that roster are out-prioritized by the three choices I've listed above; it just so happens that I picked Krystal. Again, it's logic plus opinion that produced my view.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
[COLLAPSE="~Click here for Shortie's roster~"]
[/COLLAPSE]
My disagreements with the roster:
-Toad feels like a filler choice on this particular roster.
-I already mentioned I felt Dixie/Diddy was a bad idea, especially since Diddy was already OP and a great character in Brawl (on his own).
-Ghirahim isn't going to be playable, and shouldn't. I don't think it is worth debating over. A
-Waddle Dee is a filler addition, and IMO an unneeded one. That is unless it's a late clone add-on. Other than that, though, this is a definitely a bad pick IMHO.
-Krystal, I think, does not fit with your roster, or really many rosters (unless there are fewer "magic user" newcomers).
-I think cutting Lucario really takes away from your roster, and smash 4. He is such a unique character.
-Porky seems like he would be a really gimmicky character. I don't think he fits in smash. Plus there should not be 3 EarthBound characters in smash (says a EarthBound fan).
-I think that more than likely Pit will be the only Kid Icarus character in Smash 4. Still, Paletuna kinda "fits" this roster, oddly enough, even though she doesn't most rosters.
-Miis feels very out of place on this roster, possibly due to the size.
-Takamaru doesn't seem to "gel well" with the rest of the cast.
-The lack of big name 3rd party characters shows, as the characters on this roster aren't quite as unique as they could be.

Edit: Everything else I agree with. Although I am kinda neutral on Saki in your roster. He fits in your roster, I'm just not sure how well. :ohwell:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I would rather have a sequel-ish title to Super Mario Bros. 2. Personally, I'm not big on the whole remake thing. I actually think 90% of remakes are really stagnant and pointless.

I don't really understand why everyone gets all googly eyed over remakes; particularly the idea of a Majora's Mask remake unless it adds a lot of content. A sequel or related to title to Majora's Mask, though, is definitely worth getting googly eyed over! :laugh:

Also, while I'm at it, if we were to get a new stage from Super Mario Bros. 2, it should definitely be either the boss area against Wart, a generic location from World/Level 1-1 from the game, or the 1st Birdo boss area. :bee: Those would all be super rad stages. :shades: Mushroom Kingdom II was meah, and it was too gimp-friendly and too easy to SD. :facepalm:

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Hey, he's the one who brought it up, not me. Plus, Pokemon Trainer is a PoS concept that I will never get over. #NoRants

Okay, if this was revealed as the SMash4 roster, would you like it, what would you rate it, and why?

I think it's pretty good.. the fact that you added Zoroark makes me happy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ yani
Now me saying Wart is a "dark horse" playable character choice doesn't seem so crazy... :smirk:

@ Shortie
Toad, Zoroark, Waddle Dee, Porky, and Ghirahim feel like filler character additions. Like they don't belong with the rest of your roster.
This is what I don't get... how could you call Toad a filler character while at the same breath, suggests Wart for Smash? :c Toad has been a series mainstay since the beginning while Wart was in only one Mario game (ignoring the remakes/ports/cameos here) in 1988. Ah, well... at least it's a breath of fresh air to see someone suggest an one-time Mario character who isn't an overrated Zatch Bell reject. :awesome:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
We need a character that uses different kind of weapon... other than swords, hammers and guns...
Sheeda (lance), Krystal (magic-melee staff), and Palutena (magic staff).

WALUIGI. NO CHANCE.

See, it's easy.
Anyway that says Waluigi should be in Smash will be sentenced to death.

BY SNU-SNU!
Many people have already chosen the ultimate troll character for Smash Wii U and 3DS: the Duck Hunt Dog.

The Duck Hunt Dog's moveset: Laughing. In all of his moves, he laughs at you! :laugh:
I still need to think of a moveset for him.

I thought Lucas was just a partial clone, though
Special moves clone is the best way to describe him and Wolf.

And people need to stop being so uppity about weapon users. Yes, we have a bunch of sword users, but you can't tell me that all our sword users in Brawl play anything alike. Of course, we have potential in other characters. Saki has a gunblade. Takamaru has a samurai sword which can easily be based off of Iaido.

The fact that we factually have so many sword fighting styles should tell you that its irrelevant whining about so many weapon users.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
An actual SMB2 remake is one of the few games I'd buy a Wii U for. It would be worth it just to fight against Wart, Mouser and Tryclyde in 3-D. Too bad we have a higher chance of getting a Mario FPS than anything SMB2-related.

:phone:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Toad has been a series mainstay since the beginning while Wart was in only one Mario game (ignoring the remakes/ports/cameos here) in 1988. Ah, well... at least it's a breath of fresh air to see someone suggest an one-time Mario character who isn't an overrated Zatch Bell reject. :awesome:
I don't care about a character's history. I want someone who adds more to my smash bros. game with their moveset. Someone who is unique. Someone who "balances out" the roster. Someone who make me want to play with the game. I don't feel, in shortie's roster, that Toad adds much, if anything. In other rosters, I think Toad is a solid addition.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
An actual SMB2 remake is one of the few games I'd buy a Wii U for. It would be worth it just to fight against Wart, Mouser and Tryclyde in 3-D. Too bad we have a higher chance of getting a Mario FPS than anything SMB2-related.

:phone:
LOL. Yoshi's Safari. :troll:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I also forgot to mention that Project M Lucario has a new and epic up smash: SKY UPPERCUT!!! :shades:
I still need to think of a moveset for him.
The only moves in Duck Hunt Dog does in Duck Hunt is laughing, putting his hand up to his mouth, hiding in the grass, and not appearing on screen. :troll:
I freaking pissed my pants from laughing so hard. That was a super awesome parody, especially since Pikmin are cute... yet are strange aliens WHO EAT EVERYTHING!!! :psycho:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I also forgot to mention that Project M Lucario has a new and epic up smash: SKY UPPERCUT!!! :shades:
You mean SHORYUKEN!

You can't think of a "real" moveset for the Duck Hunt Dog, because his only move is laughing, putting his hand up to his mouth, hiding in the grass, and not appearing on screen. :troll:
All Phoenix Wright ever had going for him was pointing his finger and presenting evidence yet they managed to make something for him. Sure, he's bottom tier, but so is Darkstalker Hsien-Ko.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My idea for Duck Hunt Dog was that he would break the fourth wall in order to fight. I mean, he would point his fingers around, directing the person who is playing Duck Hunt where to shoot. It fits with his role as a hunting dog because hunting dogs has to point the prey.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Again, I want this **** for everybody.
The Project M staff did a ridiculously great job, but I think there best job was their changes to Lucario. When I read it I was like "I'm not so sure about this." When I saw people like Lucien play Lucario and I figured out how awesome Project M Lucario was, I was like "this is the freaking best character ever." Seeing Project M Lucario is believing! :laugh:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He is, but once you play Project M Lucario, you will never go back. If I had a choice between adding any Pokémon character I wanted, I would choose Project M Lucario. If you haven't shortie, see this TAS (short) Project M 0-death Lucario combo.

There are also several awesome Project M combo videos featuring Lucario, including this combo video and this combo video.
OF COURSE I KNOW OF PROJECT M. And Lucario isn't nearly as impressive as what they did to Charizard, Bowser, and Zelda.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You mean SHORYUKEN!
Nope, Sky Uppercut is better. :troll:
All Phoenix Wright ever had going for him was pointing his finger and presenting evidence yet they managed to make something for him. Sure, he's bottom tier, but so is Darkstalker Hsien-Ko.
What I meant is that is all Duck Hunt Dog does in his game. That doesn't mean he couldn't be playable.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Kuma, please go save the day and go vote on the latest Project: Super Smash Bros Universe poll.

People are going to make Zelda be her TP design. I will cry if that happens. SAVVVEE THE DAYYY!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
OF COURSE I KNOW OF PROJECT M. And Lucario isn't early as impressive as what they did to Charizard, Bowser, and Zelda.
Charizard has potential, but isn't quite "there" yet. Zelda... GOD I know this guy who camps like crazy I Zelda so good! :laugh: But yeah, she was the best remade character IMHO.

Bowser is a great character. He is a fun match up, for sure. While I'm at it, here is a video of the latest video of mai boi Choknater as Bowser facing SFAT (who scrapped me and everyone at Melee) from a tournament I went to 2 or 3 weekends ago. Twas a great tournament. I found out my brother is surprisingly good at defense in (Melee) doubles! :laugh:

Also, hat I meant is that Lucario is the best designed character in Project M.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Project M is cool, but I just can't help but feel that it's pointless in the end seeing that it's a mod and that it's not made for the common Smash player.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
What I love most is that his normals are greatly influenced not just by 2D fighters, but by Chinese martial arts as well. I'd love to see influences from the internal arts.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Project M is cool, but I just can't help but feel that it's pointless in the end seeing that it's a mod and that it's not made for the common Smash player.
Not really, because we can now hack future smash bros. games easier and apply such mods to it them. Plus Sakurai could easily take some ideas from Project M.

Heck, Sakurai has even flat out said Melee was the (I forget the exact word, but I'll say it regardless) "smooth" Smash Bros. game. So, implementing ideas from a fan project to make Brawl more like Melee makes sense, if he truly, really feels that way. :bee: The only thing is Sakurai would have to make such things appeal to casual fans, which he can.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Lol at Brawl being great.

There are a few things he has to do to get the casual players covered:
1. Provide a lot of replayability and a leaderboard in the single player portions.
2. Provide a tutorial that is at least up to the quality of Skullgirls and Virtua Fighter.
3. Make the game flashy looking without scrubbing it up.
4. Provide a lot of GOOD fanservice.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai knows how to appeal to all gamers, which is why I don't have troubles seeing him take cues from Project M. I just hope he makes characters feel more like "themselves." No offense, but Wario's garbage down smash does not feel like Wario. Project M's change of this move (to a ground pound punch) is totally Wario.
What I love most is that his normals are greatly influenced not just by 2D fighters, but by Chinese martial arts as well. I'd love to see influences from the internal arts.
Actually, I like that Lucario's moveset seems to actually be based off real Pokémon moves. As good as Lucario was done in Brawl, Project M did that much better.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone with a even partially functioning brain who knows how good Diddy was in Brawl and how good he could be wants a Diddy/Dixie Kong duo. That'd be broken.
My mind can hardly process this perspective or what is has to do with what I mentioned. I could care less about how a character's meta-game profile is received.

I'm not about to boo on Sonic on the premise that I don't like how he played in a cross over.

For what its worth, I believe that the Dixie combo is as Dynamic as it gets. Presuming that it would be a broken concept is a matter that is limited to the span of your imagination.

Conflict of Perspectives.

@Star it irritates me to a degree that you differed to others for clarity on your perspective. No harm done though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom