• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Not sure I know what you mean, lol. It's his body after he reverts from his full-ruffian monster form? So half his body is all weird looking and the rest is normal. Conveys that he's half-ruffian well enough.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Oasis, I never got very far into the original S&P, and you seem to know Saki pretty well, so what do you imagine his FS would be? From the amount I played, I could never come up with a good one.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
YOU MUST NOT HAVE GOTTEN VERY FAR. At the end of the first stage he's turned into a giant monster. That would undoubtedly be his Final Smash.

QUICK, INTO SHINJUKU STATION.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Really? I swear I got past the first stage, how could I not remember that? :dizzy:
I'm going to give it another playthrough one of these days, hopefully I'll get further than I did last time.

Oh well, thanks! ^_^

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Well, stages are kind of split up into parts. I GUESS IT'S MORE OF A WORLD AND LEVEL SYSTEM. SO THEN at the end of the first world. There you go.

I still need to beat that game on hard mode. U3U

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
tl;dr
The amount of exposure (being the poster-game of Rainfall), critical success, marketing, and piracy/sales (1.6 million copies are out there) caused Xenoblade to be recognized and acknowledged by non-JRPG groups and fans in addition to its target demographic.
This so much.

Not sure I know what you mean, lol. It's his body after he reverts from his full-ruffian monster form? So half his body is all weird looking and the rest is normal. Conveys that he's half-ruffian well enough.
I guess the graphics make everything look really blurry so I can't see much detail.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, back then (this was long before Brawl), I didn't really give S&P much attention. It was on my Japanese N64, and I really preferred playing my NA 64 more, so I didn't give it a fair shot. Played S&P2 more, though now I think I'll download the first one from the VC.

Also, don't know if this has been posted yet, but the next FE DLC character is Celica from Gaiden.

I'm still waiting for a FE7 Lord to be used.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Golden Sun is fairly well known... I'm sorry, but outside of that same demographic that "barely knows" what Golden Sun is, barely anyone knows what Golden Sun is either.
A noticeable amount of GBA owners knew what Golden Sun was, or had heard of it, especially when compared to Xenoblade Chronicles. I wasn't pretending like everyone owned it, but that the series was well-known in much larger circles than Xenoblade Chronicles is. Plus, again, Golden Sun 4 was basically confirmed at the end of Dark Dawn.
The fact of the matter is that both Golden Sun titles came out before Brawl was completed and it was not enough to compel Sakurai, as far as we know, to seriously consider him.
Or maybe there were characters that took priority over Isaac. Seriously, just look at all the newcomers in Brawl. Don't you think they all have higher priority Isaac=??? Literally we got 2 legendary mega superstar icons of gaming (:snakebrawl: and :sonicbrawl:), and quite a few very well-known Nintendo characters (:zssbrawl:, :wariobrawl:, :diddybrawl:, :metaknightbrawl:, :dededebrawl:, :lucariobrawl:, :charizardbrawl:, :ivysaurbrawl:, :squirtlebrawl:, :ptbrawl:).
I also have this theory that handheld based series are more difficult to create content for because you cannot import content into the game and model it to function in Super Smash Bros, from what I've seen anyways.
Maybe with trophies this is true, but not with characters. Character models are totally different in smash, and are original. Thus, the point of this theory seems to be missing for playable characters. I mean, just compare characters like Ike and Toon Link to their latest appearances, and you will laugh at how much better they look in Brawl! :awesome:
Xenoblade is GOING to have a stage at the very least, I cannot see Sakurai just leaving it at that. Sure Xenoblade is no Mario, but it still managed to get released in every territory due in part to the fanbase. It does not need a sequel in order for Sakurai to look at the game and see what it has to offer in terms of content. That is just your weird view of sales talking again.
You say "Xenoblade is no Mario," but you are acting like it is Animal Crossing. I wouldn't be so sure of this. If every internationally released Nintendo IP got a stage with the same popularity as Xenoblade Chronicles, we'd have upwards of a hundred of stages! :laugh:

Considering how many mega popular Nintendo IPs there are that have sold pretty well without getting a stage in smash bros., I really doubt we'd get a Xenoblade Chronicles stage if Shulk isn't playable. So far the only Nintendo IPs with a stage but no playable characters are the Nintendo series with PictoChat (which has sold over 100 million copies), Electroplankton with that God awful stage Hanebow, and Animal Crossing with Smashville (which has sold tens of millions of copies, is ridiculously popular, and even had a movie).

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
I don't think it would really add anything. The draw of Nintendo Land is the attractions, which will be based on series that ALREADY HAVE STAGES. Without the attractions, you'll just be fighting around the plaza thing. Probably on top of the train. I suppose that sort of carnival atmosphere would be SOMETHING new... But there are probably better stages out there.
Of course there are... it's just that we never know what Sakurai and his team wants to include...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That Celica model looks pretty good. Like you said N3ON, I am waiting for a Fire Emblem 7 Lord. Hector's axe deserves to be playable! :awesome:
Thing is, it has to be pretty damn popular to have a whole project for its translation for overseas ports.
Yeah, within JRPG and Nintendo RPG fan circles. That doesn't take away from how great the game may be. The problem is, folks act like it's mega-popular, and the next huge Nintendo IP already. It may be, but looking at Brawl, the only new Nintendo IP with a character was Pikmin. Quite frankly, that series was much more popular, got 2 new games instead of 1 (and has had a 3rd in the works since the 2nd game), both games sold about 1 million copies, and the series was made by GOD himself.
I don't know many video games that get that kind of attention, support from random translators, and then actual support from the company itself to be released outside of Japan.
That has made it very beloved within the JRPG and Nintendo RPG fan circles, and judging by other sites' reactions, people overrated it's popularity. Let's slow down on that.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
tl;dr
The amount of exposure (being the poster-game of Rainfall), critical success, marketing, and piracy/sales (1.6 million copies are out there) caused Xenoblade to be recognized and acknowledged by non-JRPG groups and fans in addition to its target demographic.
Sales (especially in that range) are pretty irrelevant since Sakurai doesn't pay attention to that. Pirated numbers even more so.

@everyone: I don't know why you guys are talking to John Guy about sales... or really any measurement of anything ever.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sales (especially in that range) are pretty irrelevant since Sakurai doesn't pay attention to that. Pirated numbers even more so.

@everyone: I don't know why you guys are talking to John Guy about sales... or really any measurement of anything ever.
I know that sales aren't nearly one of the most important factors for character inclusion in Smash, but I was just referring to how Xenoblade has been acknowledged and obtained by people not just from the JRPG demographic, with relatively decent numbers (including piracy) being one of my examples of proof of how it transcended its normal audience. I wasn't relating it to Smash or Sakurai. (So I guess my post was off-topic :embarrass:)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Toise
I use sales as an indicator of popularity. Sales is, to a degree, a measurement of popularity. It tells you how much people like a game enough to actually buy said game new. ;)

I just am tired (not on here; on other sites) of people acting like Xenoblade Chronicles is the next Animal Crossing. It's kind of disturbing (on other sites) that people think that! :laugh:

Although the Xenoblade Chronicles fans are pretty rabid, and really love that game. That passion and love for that game something definitely worth taking note of. :bee:
But he didn't who Krystal was :troll:
I kinda forgot who Krystal was until I did pre-Brawl speculation. :laugh: My brain didn't think Star Fox Adventures, Assault, and Command were worth remembering! :chuckle:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Toise.

How important would you say popularity is in character selection. We say it a lot, but it's not something that could be measured, so it's not something Sakurai could really pay attention. Despite that, we just seem to "know" who is more popular, so I guess he could just "know" too. Then we have guys like Geno and Waluigi, who are really popular for whatever reason, but they're not going to happen. So popularity by itself isn't the greatest determining factor.

I used to think popularity was just something that could get Sakurai's attention, and if that choice was particularly interesting, then they had a good shot. It's simple, and that's usually best, but I'm not sure it's really the best way to look at things.

So I guess a more open-ended question would be what criteria is actually important. One could probably just say "whatever Sakurai likes," but it's better to ask "why does Sakurai like this." I MEAN WE'RE ALL JUST TRYING TO THINK LIKE SAKURAI HERE.

D

Deleted member

Quit glorifying Golden Sun.

Anyway, here's Saki's monster form:
That's Ruffian Saki?! (I have never seen what it looked like before and couldn't find any images)

Saki is now one of my hyped characers.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Yeah, Saki's a pretty cool guy. Guy with a lasergunsword that can turn into a giant monster. Interesting!

Also all of this trying to interpret Sakurai's WAY OF THINGS, reminds me of Metal Gear. Pretty much everything that happened in that series was all about influential people trying to interpret and living up to one, great man's will, and failing.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
@John: The problem I have is when you throw out these completely random numbers in an argument about something you admittedly aren't really familiar with. Not limited to sales numbers either, if my glancing at this thread has revealed anything.

Xenoblade is pretty fun though.

@Susan: Man, don't you remember anything I've said all this time?

Watch this orange juice commercial and think about how it compares to Smash, write 10 pages, due tonight.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How important would you say popularity is in character selection. We say it a lot, but it's not something that could be measured, so it's not something Sakurai could really pay attention. Despite that, we just seem to "know" who is more popular, so I guess he could just "know" too. Then we have guys like Geno and Waluigi, who are really popular for whatever reason, but they're not going to happen. So popularity by itself isn't the greatest determining factor.
Technically Sakurai does try to measure popularity with his character polls, but he really only gets a localized sample size from that, although (with some exceptions) the most popular characters on the polls tend to be good choices.

IMO popularity is one of the most important factors (although not the only important factor) and usually about 80-90% of the new characters chosen have quite a lot of popularity backing them. Though some popularity is localized to certain regions (such as Marth, Lucas, or hypothetically Little Mac and Ridley).

And yeah, Saki's monster form is ridiculous and awesome. :awesome:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@John: The problem I have is when you throw out these completely random numbers in an argument about something you admittedly aren't really familiar with. Not limited to sales numbers either, if my glancing at this thread has revealed anything.
Like I said, sales are an accurate portrayal of popularity. Granted, popularity isn't the only factor. If it was, I doubt we would ever get a Star Fox character not named Fox or Falco, and we'd probably have ten thousand Pokémon! :laugh: However, nearly every character in smash is at least somewhat popular, even the lesser known characters. For example, Pit is from a game with quite a following. ROB helped sell the NES, and was a popular character in Mario Kart DS.

Still, if Smash Bros. didn't have popular characters, it wouldn't be anywhere near as popular. Say if instead of the original 12 we got lesser characters from the same series. Or if we got all obscure characters from obscure series. How many of us would honestly be interested in smash in that was the case=??? :laugh:
Xenoblade is pretty fun though.
I look forward to getting to play it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I would say popularity is almost irrelevant to Sakurai because all of the decently popular characters have all probably all been made aware to him during Brawl's development. At this point (Besides Shulk/Zael) it's all about who he picks. And, I really think he's not going to pick Dixie in favor of K. Rool "Because she has 100 more votes than him".

I think most of the character decisions at this point are going to come down to what he can DO with the character, to make them interesting. I mean, really, what character with any shot besides Shulk didn't show up in Brawl? And what character, besides maybe Mewtwo is... Peach, or Ganondorf? None..

John is being silly again.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ shorts
I agree. It is what you can do with characters that ultimately gets a lot of them in, whether as a fairly easy clone/semi-clone addition, a new style, or something that changes the way we view smash bros. character movesets entirely. That is actually one of the many appeals of lesser known characters like the Ness, the Ice Climbers, and R.O.B.

Also, I'm not arguing popularity is the only determining factor as to whether a character is playable or not. All I said is it can get them considered, which IMHO is half the battle. As I have stated a number of times, I think Sakurai and co. starts with a long list of characters, and gradually lowers the number. Although once characters are "eliminated" it doesn't mean there still isn't a chance they may end up being playable. The opposite (I think) is also true.

Still, if a character (let's call him Bobby) was as popular as Sonic was in Brawl, but didn't have anything unique it could bring to smash (whether as a unique character, a clone, semi-clone, Luigified clone, etc), there is no reason to add them. If they don't, as Sakurai says "make us want to play the game," they don't belong in Super Smash Bros. Instead, they belong in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale of the Ultimately Artificially Long Title! :troll: :laugh: :cool:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I really don't think we have a legitimate way of knowing who has a better shot than X character.
I think we do, to an extent.

I can confidently say that Waluigi has no chance, while Dixie Kong and Mewtwo have a good chance. But, most characters are hard to weigh in on and not base it mostly of arbitrary reasoning.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I wouldn't say Waluigi has no chance. He could easily be a late add-on clone of Wario or Luigi.

Still, I think we don know that characters like a few of the Forbidden 7, a lot of the Brawl Assist Trophy characters, K. Rool, Mega Man, and so on will be "considered."

That and we can easily tell that minor characters in major or minor franchises aren't going to be playable... although I guess Waluigi qualifies as that. :laugh:

But you all know what I mean by that. And if you don't basically, we aren't getting Koopa Troopa over Mario. ;)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I was referring to how his description on the DOJO made him sound like a troll addition. "No one wanted him, BUT HERE HE IS ANYWAYS"

D

Deleted member

John, stop saying Waluigi can be a clone of Wario. Just stop. That's like saying Ridley can be a clone of Jigglypuff.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Waluigi can easily be a clone of :wariobrawl:. It isn't hard to visualize. This is especially true since Waluigi has few moves that are unique to him.

Sure Waluigi is skinny and tall and :waribrawlo: is short and "stocky." But that doesn't mean he can't be a clone of :wariobrawl:. It didn't stop :luigibrawl: from being a clone of :mariobrawl:. :laugh:

That's not even considering that Luigi has quite a few more moves (and potential moves) unique to him than Waluigi.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Many people have already chosen the ultimate troll character for Smash Wii U and 3DS: the Duck Hunt Dog.

The Duck Hunt Dog's moveset: Laughing. In all of his moves, he laughs at you! :laugh:

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I will eat all of your delicious tears on a sandwich when Waluigi is revealed as a character.

I won't like it any more than you guys, but watching the world explode at his inclusion will be entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom