• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Yes, yes. You must understand how sensitive I am about my brilliant name creations, though.

But I see that we are on the same side now. By our combined might, nothing shall go unnamed!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
i suppose Metroid Prime was tacked on?
it's only tacked on if the intention wasn't there in the first place.
lol, when I was writing my post I was honestly going to say "Some of the time adding new genres to an existing IP doesn't end well, however there are notable exceptions such as the Prime series." but I forgot to add it by the time I was done. :embarrass:

Yes sometimes reinventing the franchise is done well, but personally I think there would be more benefits in creating a totally new FPS IP than giving an existing franchise a FPS game. Not that a Wars FPS wouldn't work, but I think it would be in Nintendo's best interest to appease those asking for a new IP, and a more "hardcore" oriented "mature" game. I think the best solution (if not the most likely) would be to have one of each, a new Wars game that has FPS elements, and a totally new FPS IP.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Yes, yes. You must understand how sensitive I am about my brilliant name creations, though.

But I see that we are on the same side now. By our combined might, nothing shall go unnamed!
[COLLAPSE="Epic"]
[/COLLAPSE]

On another topic. Fire Emblem: Awakening is doing VERY well in Japan. It is managing to be one of the the most successful titles in the series. There is a very real chance by the time the game comes to Europe and America it could manage to pull off the same feat. How would everyone feel if Sakurai decided to make the Fire Emblem series more prominent in Super Smash Bros?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Call of Duty and story shouldn't even be in the same sentence

@Smooth Criminal- Can't argue with at all, to be perfectly honest. Shishio is probably my favorite anime villain or damn near close to it

:phone:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
On another topic. Fire Emblem: Awakening is doing VERY well in Japan. It is managing to be one of the the most successful titles in the series. There is a very real chance by the time the game comes to Europe and America it could manage to pull off the same feat. How would everyone feel if Sakurai decided to make the Fire Emblem series more prominent in Super Smash Bros?
Personally I would be fine if FE became more prominent in Smash, I enjoy playing as all 3 FE characters, I like Castle Siege, and IMO FE has some of the more memorable songs in Brawl. The only complaint I would have is that all the most likely FE reps are swordsmen, and FE has so many classes, it's a shame that only one weapon gets playable representation. I think how well Awakening does outside Japan might also affect how much content FE gets to an extent (although popularity in Japan is still the most important), as Sakurai is already weary about over-including content from series that primarily have popularity in Japan.

I also think Awakening's popularity and sales are going to cause Nintendo to have IS make another FE sooner than they probably would've otherwise. And if the popularity can continue to future games, I wouldn't be surprised if FE started to become one of the series with heavier amount of content in Smash.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I think Habanero doesn't like Shorts or me because we're all really, really Stubborn.
LOL

Because no one ever says your right.
You actually have to search deep to find the last time someone said that

[COLLAPSE="Epic"]
[/COLLAPSE]

I would not mind at all, I really love series because of the take of strategy and RPG. It's like Chess but you level up your pawns into various pieces of your army.

I love the playstyles that have been implemented so far from FE characters into Smash but it makes wonder. What if Krom (if/when he gets in) were to have a status effect where, the longer his stock/life lasts the stronger he gets, probably every 30 seconds. Kind of reflecting the characters that live the longest in your army/band in FE are usually the ones getting stronger.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I wonder if Nintendo Land could be the Mii's stage?

Butbut WUHU ISLAND...

NAWWW. Thinking about it, I don't think we'll see a Nintendo Land stage at all.

Yea, I would like it to be more siege and less underground. I am not sure how you could introduce any other character in fire emblem except as a sword user. I guess other things could work somehow. Anything mounted is just ridiculous.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, because Sakurai totally sits there and crunches sales numbers before deciding the roster...
Yeah, because Sakurai totally sits there and picks only modern obscure characters from series that didn't sell well at all. :awesome:
Also, I wouldn't rule out another Sin and Punishment entirely.
I'm not ruling it out, I just doubt it since Star Successor might have lost Nintendo money. That happens sometimes with successful games. As much as a I want a new Beyond Good & Evil, the fact the game was so overlooked is why I doubt we will ever get a sequel to that great game.
If Saki originally made it into Brawl as an AT because he was a popular request (as Sakurai has stated), then I think whatever popularity he had then is only going to increase now with less characters to choose from and more exposure, both as a character and as a series.
I don't disagree. I'm just saying that Saki isn't a "shoe-in" like people had mentioned, which is why I said what I said.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yea, I would like it to be more siege and less underground. I am not sure how you could introduce any other character in fire emblem except as a sword user. I guess other things could work somehow. Anything mounted is just ridiculous.
While they won't get in, non-sword-wielding characters like Micaiah, Hector, Ephraim, etc. I think would be able to work fine in Smash. I do agree about mounted characters though.

I'm not ruling it out, I just doubt it since Star Successor might have lost Nintendo money. That happens sometimes with successful games. As much as a I want a new Beyond Good & Evil, the fact the game was so overlooked is why I doubt we will ever get a sequel to that great game.
Beyond Good & Evil 2 is currently in development.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Good_&_Evil_2

Warheart_666

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX_Pinkie_Pie_Xx
I wonder if Nintendo Land could be the Mii's stage?

Butbut WUHU ISLAND...

NAWWW. Thinking about it, I don't think we'll see a Nintendo Land stage at all.
Actually I think that the chance could be pretty high, considering that it's something new...
In Brawl, they even added the stage PictoChat (or whatever the name was)... which was completely random for me...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Call of Duty died after COD 4: Modern Warfare. World at War on is garbage in my opinion, sorry. The series has become an atypical crap FPS series, instead of a great FPS.
Yea, I would like it to be more siege and less underground.
I would love a Castle or a field stage from Fire Emblem. Given that we've only gotten 1 Fire Emblem stage, I think having 2 in the Smash Wii U and/or Smash 3DS would be fitting.
I'm not sure how you could introduce any other character in fire emblem except as a sword user. I guess other things could work somehow.
None of the non-sword characters have really ever been the sole main character like Marth, Ike, Roy, and Krom have been. Although let it be known, I love Hector, and a Fire Emblem axe-wielding playable character in smash would rock. Actually I think Krom uses a lance. That would be so cool to see and play as in smash bros.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Warheart
Fire Emblem features a rock-paper-scissors balance of (all kinds of) swords, lances (and spears), and (various) axes, so those 3 weapons tend to be ones that are used the most. However, as previously mentioned, nearly all of the "main characters" aka Lords (they can't die, unlike other characters) use swords. Strange, huh=??? :bee:

@ Habanero
Yep, and I think using a lance would be a freaking awesome thing for smash and a way to show off a cool common weapon in Fire Emblem. A bow for Krom... I got no opinion.
graphically, though... who cares about graphics anymore.
Honestly, I don't see graphics being all that different from one generation to another now. We've pretty much hit something of a peak. Spending tons on further enhanced graphics now is stupid, because all graphic differences is minimal nowadays on consoles. We're not going to see a Halo game in 10 years with much better visible graphics than Halo 4.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I wouldn't like the idea of getting Marth, Ike, Roy, and Krom... it's kind of, bland as ****.

Marth, Caeda, Ike, Roy

Or, Marth, Krom, Ike, Micaiah

Or anything that mixes it up. Those FOUR, just, BLEK. So bland to me.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Fire Emblem: Weren't we all already expecting more FE content even before FE13? lol

Definitely want to see some stages based on actual locations, hopefully Marth's games can give us that. With characters all I want to see is Ike (yes, I'm severely bias with him for many reasons) at the least.

Doubt Krom will use lances, not that they hurt his case or anything.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Shorts
Ike and Marth aren't what I would call "bland." Both of them are definitely unique. The characters in question are Roy and Krom. If Roy can play with a stabbing and lunged-based swordplay style, and Krom could be the jack of all trades with different and unique weapons and skills, then we could have a great 3/4 Fire Emblem characters in smash bros. :)
Does Diddy still not know that Sheik IS Zelda? Or is he one of those slash shippers? You know, the people who refuse to accept that they're the same person, and pretend Sheik is a guy who gets teleported in when Zelda "transforms" to have all sorts of gay "adventures" with Link? Is that his OTP along with Impa/His Gary Stu? It all makes sense now!
Somehow, I doubt Diddy Kong has played Ocarina of Time much, if even at all. That or he doesn't remember much of the story, or sees Skyward Sword as a better game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Actually I think that the chance could be pretty high, considering that it's something new...
In Brawl, they even added the stage PictoChat (or whatever the name was)... which was completely random for me...
I don't think it would really add anything. The draw of Nintendo Land is the attractions, which will be based on series that ALREADY HAVE STAGES. Without the attractions, you'll just be fighting around the plaza thing. Probably on top of the train. I suppose that sort of carnival atmosphere would be SOMETHING new... But there are probably better stages out there.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Aw snap, Iwata just burned Microsoft. Dang.
We live in a copycat world. Once something is successful, there will be copycats of it.

When Nintendo's motion controls on the Wii were successful, Sony and Microsoft tried to copy the Wii's motion control's success. They wanted in on it.

Also, it's not like Nintendo didn't try to copy the success methods of Sony after the PS1 and PS2, or the success of the PS3's and Xbox 360's third party support, DLC, social media functions, non-gaming features, and online.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, I definitely would call them all pretty bland. Ike and Marth the least, but Roy will be a clone. And Krom, could be a clone. I really don't see why having two new additions be wasted on these two possible clones would be a good idea. Oh wait, it's not, which is why when time came down the wire, Roy was cut.

I mean, it wouldn't be awful, but it wouldn't be amazing. TO ME, anyways.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Roy will be a clone.
I don't think "Roy being a clone" is automatic, especially since "true clones" weren't in Brawl, and semi-clones and characters with a "few borrowed moves" is the norm.

Roy's moves, movement, and sword fighting styles in his game (Fire Emblem 6) are completely different from Marth's (FE1, 3, 11, and 12) and Ike's (FE 9 and 10). Marth is a super quick speed attacker with swift movements and little after lag. Ike has loads of power. quite some lag before and after, and little sprinkles of speed here and there.

If Roy is how he is in Fire Emblem 6 in smash, and is like I imagine him, he would be unique. Roy would noticeable speed. Not great, just good. He would have minimal lag, but not always afterwards. Deceptive power, similar to how my friend SuperSkeetBro describes Ganondorf in Melee as having "deceptive speed." While this is just me defining Roy's characteristics, if you add in that he does a lot of stabs and lunges like in Fire Emblem 6 (which Marth doesn't use), then you could have an interesting character in smash IMHO.
And Krom, could be a clone. I really don't see why having two new additions be wasted on these two possible clones would be a good idea.
Technically most potential newcomers could be clones. Toad, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Waluigi, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Krystal, Plusle and Minun, Zoroark, Samurai Goroh, Black Shadow, and Louie are all commonly mentioned potential newcomers that could all easily be/have potential to be clones, semi-clones, etc.
I mean, it wouldn't be awful, but it wouldn't be amazing. TO ME, anyways.
Fair enough. I just thought I'd throw out my vision of Roy based on his Fire Emblem 6 appearance. I think I'd like to also share this, and this, and this.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
If only my FE dream team weren't made unlikely because of Krom/FE Awakening's popularity.

Marth, Ike, Roy, Michaiah.

All vets are in tact, and a FE magic-user is introduced. My favorite configuration.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Remember earlier this year when someone at (I believe 1UP) asked Masahiro Sakurai if Pit would be in smash, forgetting he was in Brawl=???

Masahiro Sakurai's response was "maybe." :troll: I imagine it with a troll face, because it is funnier that way! :laugh:

Masahiro Sakurai's new response to such questions should be "That's a Clown Question, Bro!"

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
My ***hag just referenced Dixie Kong. Never been more proud in my life.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There has always been a "chance" Dixie Kong could be a clone, especially a semi-clone or a Lucas-esk clone. I think if Dixie was a "clone" in any aspect it would maybe be a few borrowed non-special moves from Diddy Kong. Then again, if that is considered a "clone" by any stretch, most of the Smash 64 characters were "clones."

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Starphoenix said:
How would everyone feel if Sakurai decided to make the Fire Emblem series more prominent in Super Smash Bros?
Nothing against the Fire Emblem series, more power to it for being a sucess. To answer your question, I've never been all that keen on genres that progress in a static fashion.

Its like Iblis mentioned, its like watching a game of chess just trying to appreciate why the series would be fulfilling. From the outside looking in, it really seems like fans tend to promote/enjoy pointing out and debating the key aspects of signicance from the story arcs. The manner in which ya'll carry is fairly saturated nontheless, its like someone's turned up the dial on the breadth of these familiar critera horizons.

(Forgive my "saturated" vocab, it wasn't all that easy describing this at the time)

As much as I like to be surprised, I do like to have some idea of what I'm getting and with a series Fire Emblem I'm too out the loop to comprehend (and Star, maybe its just me).

Perhaps this is because I don't know the extent of what you were suggesting, only a projection.

John said:
There has always been a "chance" Dixie Kong could be a clone, especially a semi-clone or a Lucas-esk clone. I think if Dixie was a "clone" in any aspect it would maybe be a few borrowed non-special moves from Diddy Kong.
I don't want Dixe to have any involvement bar something like Tails' role in Sonic Unleashed if that is the case.

Useless Supporting roles! Yay~

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, because Sakurai totally sits there and picks only modern obscure characters from series that didn't sell well at all. :awesome:
Just because he may not crunch sales numbers doesn't necessarily mean he is doing what you said above.

But really, we have no idea what the guy tries to do, like I keep saying, so John you may be very correct. Or wrong as well

Honestly, I don't see graphics being all that different from one generation to another now. We've pretty much hit something of a peak. Spending tons on further enhanced graphics now is stupid, because all graphic differences is minimal nowadays on consoles. We're not going to see a Halo game in 10 years with much better visible graphics than Halo 4.
That isn't the only thing that happens when the engines are upgraded. The systems can then tolerate way more content and bigger areas filled with those highly graphical things with less stress on the console. While in terms of pixel appearance, yeah, it isn't jumping by leaps and bounds, but everything else is.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Holder of the Heel, the more I look at that avatar of yours, the more I have a mental image of a trollfaced purple Reggiemin doing the haters gonna hate walk in front of the president of Sony and Microsoft. Please make it stop! XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom