• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Triple Dash
Yeah, that wasn't a dig at Golden at all. It's just there was a lot of stuff that I really doubt was true. That and NeoGAF got most of the recent stuff on ED2 and E3 wrong! :laugh:

@ Golden
Wario is probably listed as a "Mario character" because having a "Wario character" list would imply that there would be a "Wario character" in Melee. Which, we all know, would basically be not just a confirmation of Wario being really important, but basically in Melee.

Also, again, this isn't "x character from x universe vs. y character from the same universe," but rather everybody against everybody; as of Brawl, this can include a few veterans.

And yeah, I would say Sheik, who is a one-off appearance of Zelda, is less important than Wario... and Zelda's other alter ego, Tetra, who has appeared in 2 Zelda games. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

@ Triple Dash
Yeah, that wasn't a dig at Golden at all. It's just there was a lot of stuff that I really doubt was true. That and NeoGAF got most of the recent stuff on ED2 and E3 wrong! :laugh:

@ Golden
Wario is probably listed as a "Mario character" because having a "Wario character" list would imply that there would be a "Wario character" in Melee. Which, we all know, would basically be not just a confirmation of Wario being really important, but basically in Melee.

Also, again, this isn't "x character from x universe vs. y character from the same universe," but rather everybody against everybody; as of Brawl, this can include a few veterans.

And yeah, I would say Sheik, who is a one-off appearance of Zelda, is less important than Wario... and Zelda's other alter ego, Tetra, who has appeared in 2 Zelda games. :smirk:
Tetra didn't exist in Melee's time. And the latest game Zelda was in during Melee's time was OoT, which had Sheik, who is Zelda. Don't start pulling a Diddy now, or I won't bother debating with you. :glare:
Sheik = Zelda
Saying Wario > Sheik is saying Wario > Zelda.

And no, Wario was listed as a Mario character because that's what he WAS. A Mario character that just happened to have a couple of spin-offs.
Do you call Tingle a Tingle character, or do you call him a Zelda character who has spin-offs? Exactly.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Starfy:

Alright here's my last charity post for the night, I have a job interview tommorrow.

Chrono's Japanese's findings:
Anyway, here is what I found:
- Mewtwo and Roy are BY FAR the most requested characters for Smash 4. There are no other characters that come close to them in the amount of requests in the comments.
- The true newcomers with the most requests are Waluigi and Starfy.
- For Mario characters its Waluigi>Geno=Dr. Mario>Bowser Jr.=Toad
- For Donkey Kong its Dixie Kong > K. Rool, both got many requests, though Dixie Kong more so, usually its the over way around.
- Ridley, Little Mac, Takamaru, Samurai Goroh, Krystal, Isaac, Saki, Lip, Sukapon got barely any requests (2 or 3)
- Black Shadow is easily the favorite for a F-Zero newcomer.
- Gooey (the second playable character from Dream Land 3) has quite a bit of support in the comments for some reason. The next most supported Kirby character is Galactica Knight.
- Kumatora is the most requested female character outside of Dixie Kong. She is the only Mother character to get a decent amount of requests.
- For Fire Emblem, the only character to receive a notable amount of requests was Roy (of which he probably had the most requests of any character).
- For Pokemon, Mewtwo left every character in the dust (except Roy). However, there were quite a few Pokemon that received a lot of requests. Zoroark received many requests. However, both Victini and Black/White Trainer also received quite a few requests.
- Basically no requests for Zelda characters.
- Barely any requests for Kid Icarus characters (I think Palutena came up three times though).
- Mega Man is the most wanted third-party character.
- Ryu and Leon from Resident Evil also have quite a bit of support.
- For Square-Enix characters, the characters that got the most support were Geno, Cloud, Terry (Dragon Quest), and Sora
- No other third-party characters outside of Capcom and Square-Enix were heavily requested.
- Lots of idiots suggesting anime characters. Doraemon, Goku, Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanaho were what I saw come up the most.
Just remember that it's all from just one site. Later.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Doesn't matter, Tri-Hy. All support is accepted and appreciated to the fullest degree.

...In my mind, anyway. :chuckle:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Poppy
I'm not sure why it is a factor, either, but for some reason, I kinda sorta believe it to an extent. I mean, I don't think Sakurai hates Starfy, but I think he doesn't see Starfy as a character with as much priority as Starfy should have. Maybe Sakurai sees Starfy as a "cutesy character" and thinks his 3 Kirby characters, some of the playable Pokémon, and maybe another character or 2 are "enough" of that character archetype.

@ Golden
Wrong, Oracles of Ages, Oracles of Seasons, and Majora's Mask were the most recent Zelda games.

And I ain't pulling a Diddy at all. That isn't even comparable. Wario has 2 series; Sheik, while the alter ego of the title character, can't scratch that (and Wario) without Zelda.

If Sakurai did that pre-Brawl on a Brawl poll (if hypothetically Wario wasn't in Brawl's debut trailer), we all know that would confirm Wario. That's what I'm saying. Think about it.

D

Deleted member

That has nothing to do with the debate. We're talking about pre-Melee (which is what happened), and now you're jumping to "Well, I would be right if this was pre-Brawl! :troll:" (which is a hypothetical).

And I didn't say that OoT was the latest game, I said it was the latest game Zelda APPEARED in, which is still false because of the Oracle games, which I forgot came after OoT but before Melee. Young Zelda was nothing but a cameo in Majora's Mask, so it doesn't count.

EDIT: I really don't like it when people try to stretch random hypotheticals just so they can be right while ignoring the reality of what really happened, so I'm ending the debate here.

~His Goldenness himself, OUT~

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@John: Cuz Meta Knight is SO cutesy...

Let's see... We have Kirby, Dedede, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and I believe Yoshi. I think that's it...?

So 5 to maybe 7 of 39. We can stand a couple more.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Golden
"Young Zelda" in Majora's Mask does matter. :p

Plus, again, of course Wario would be under "Mario characters" for the same reason Marth (Mars) was under misc. (or whatever the equivalent of that was) characters. Because not having them as that would have basically confirmed those characters as playable then and there! That or smash fans would expect them. :laugh:

The deeper part of this that I am trying to get to is that say "Golden Sun" wouldn't get its' own category in a similar poll; because, again, that would either "confirm" a new character, or "confirm" a new character in the minds of the fans, and then lead to major letdown.

@ Poppy
I am not agreeing with that logic, I'm just throwing that out there. Also, :pichu:. And kinda sorta :peachmelee: and :toonlinkbrawl:. And maybe :ness64: and :lucasbrawl: in a way. And :falconmelee: while we're at it! :cool:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Ahh guys, I have a minute left on this library computer. Gotta go, and I enjoyed talking with you again. Btw i posted in the backroom if you want to see at all.

Anyway, cya, byeeeee!

*waves*

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I hope we do not see the Wii U Pro Controller... (this is a long name. The gamepad and pro controller) pro controller facing a lawsuit by Microsoft. A company ended up filing a lawsuit against nintendo for the gamecube control stick design which stopped production for the longest time. While the button layout is completely different and redesigned, I still think someone in Microsoft could get around to filing a complaint about the mere shape of the controller.
Honestly, the Super Nintendo controller invented that layout. That and the original Xbox controller literally has tons of "borrowed" ideas from the PS1/2, GameCube, and Super Nintendo controller. Plus the control stick layout is unique to video game controllers.

As for the GameCube controller case, Nintendo won that settlement, right=??? (I'm not 100% sure)

D

Deleted member

@ Golden
"Young Zelda" in Majora's Mask does matter. :p

Plus, again, of course Wario would be under "Mario characters" for the same reason Marth (Mars) was under misc. (or whatever the equivalent of that was) characters. Because not having them as that would have basically confirmed those characters as playable then and there! That or smash fans would expect them. :laugh:

The deeper part of this that I am trying to get to is that say "Golden Sun" wouldn't get its' own category in a similar poll; because, again, that would either "confirm" a new character, or "confirm" a new character in the minds of the fans, and then lead to major letdown.
No, you don't understand. On the Top 20, it states where characters are from.
It states that Marth is from the Fire Emblem series and it states that Wario is from the Super Mario series. Which is what I'm getting at. Wario was a Mario character in Sakurai's viewpoint.
http://translate.google.com/transla...are/nus_p_nalj/smash/PostResult2.html&act=url
It shouldn't come to any surprise, though. Sakurai counts Yoshi as a Mario character as evident in Brawl's Sticker feature (There are stickers that only work on characters from a particular series, however, all stickers that only work on main Mario characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser) work on Yoshi as well).
And again in Melee, by featuring him (AND DK) in a Mario All-Stars Event Match.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Golden Son
I get that, but what I am saying is although Marth (Mars) is listed as part of the "Fire Emblem series," he still is listed with several miscellaneous/minor Nintendo series' characters, just like Wario is. I guess I failed to inform you I was using this as a gateway to a new debate.

Like, what if say Golden Sun got its' own category on such a poll=??? Such a situation, in my opinion, would be quite fascinating!

D

Deleted member

If that were the case, then it would all but confirm one, but if and ONLY IF other series don't get that same treatment.

EDIT: UNLESS, it just so happens that a whole bunch of characters from Golden Sun have requests, then Sakurai would have no choice but to lump them into a seperate category.

EDIT2: Excuse me if I don't show any excitement; I honestly don't care about Isaac or Golden Sun, so if he gets in, whoop-de-doo. If he doesn't, oh well. The Golden in my name is not for Golden Sun. :p

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Meah, I just thought of Isaac and Golden Sun as an easy series/character to pluck.

Plus, your name is Golden, and it reminds me of that. :p

And I agree with your assessment. That is, unless 2 and maybe 3 1st/2nd party series got such treatment, or it was clear such a series with multiple characters on such a list (without a previous playable character in smash) didn't stand a chance at getting a playable character in smash bros... like Nintendogs! :laugh:
You mean pull on rods?
Now, now, now, let's not compare rod sizes! :awesome: Besides, I got a gold rod, and we all know that longer than white standard ones. :shades: :rotfl: :grin:

D

Deleted member

Mine is golder. :troll:
Welp, needs some sleep, or else I'll keep singing the Adventure 1 version of "Unknown from M.E." to myself. (The one with "You can call me Knuckles. Unlike Sonic I don't chuckle. I'd rather flex my muscles.")
Yeah, when bored and tired I sing corny songs.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
When bored and tired, I begin to tell crazy stories of true stuff, but I totally mess 'em up!!! :laugh: Also, rap songs about anything related to Sonic is the definition of cheesy! :rotfl:
[COLLAPSE="OH MAH GAWD! NINTENDO SIXTY-FOUR!!!"]
[/COLLAPSE]I need to hear this again...
...And this.
A Link to the Past > Every Zelda game since then. While this is my opinion, but this little opinion of mine I'm gonna let it shine should be a universal truth.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I show very little excitement when receiving presents. So little the person giving it thinks I dislike it, even when it was something I wanted. I just politely thanked them and tried to force myself to feel excited.

I don't understand the reaction of the kid because of that.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Psycho
I get hyped for anything and everything! :grin: Although, I never freaked out like that little kid, except for when Diddy Kong and Toon Link were confirmed in Brawl! :laugh:
Coming from the person that wants Genesect and Krystal in Super Smash Bros. 4? I'm glad I'm not listening.
...And that is what gets you ignored by everyone here. Which is ironic, because that is what yo usaid you did.

While you may not like what character someone likes or may think they stand a chance of happening, that is no excuse to be rude and tell someone their opinion doesn't matter.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Torkoal

When released from its Poke Ball, Torkoal will create a smokescreen. While the smokescreen is around, players will have a harder time getting around, and this does apply to the one who released Torkoal to begin with.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I gonna let Holder hold the convo for me.
Impa replacing Sheik isn't dumb, as Impa is an actual re occuring character in Zelda, whereas Sheik is not.

And wtf is this **** now? People argue Sheik should have priority over WARIO? :rolleyes:

Apperantly Golden thinks Sheik is the most important character ever or something. Zelda herself ain't even that important and in terms of popularity, Ganondorf is a whole leap above Zelda AND Sheik, combined.

Wario was much more than a Mario one time villain around Melee's release. Ever heard of Wario Land? And even IF he was just a one off villain, that still means he's greater than Sheik UP UNTIL TODAY

Because, you know, even in her only role excistant, Sheik never did ANYTHING of worth.

:phone:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Does Diddy still not know that Sheik IS Zelda? Or is he one of those slash shippers? You know, the people who refuse to accept that they're the same person, and pretend Sheik is a guy who gets teleported in when Zelda "transforms" to have all sorts of gay "adventures" with Link? Is that his OTP along with Impa/His Gary Stu? It all makes sense now!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik = Zelda in just one game. All other Zelda games she's not. And Zelda and Link are a different person (though, incarnated as the same) every time. So no, Sheik isn't important. She's a set of clothing, a disguise, who didn't do anything of worth in her sole appearance, trained under Impa even. The rest you say is even more bull****. :rolleyes: You didn't even bother to reply to my K.Rool vs Dixie post either so consider my reply a privilege. :smirk:

Btw, suck a ****. I'm sure you are by far more experienced in that than me.

Impa 4 Smash. Keep things straight :smirk:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
And when will they finally reveal another DLC Fire Emblem character?? Wanna see Ike and Hector badly.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Sheik = Zelda in just one game. All other Zelda games she's not. And Zelda and Link are a different person (though, incarnated as the same) every time. So no, Sheik isn't important. She's a set of clothing, a disguise, who didn't do anything of worth in her sole appearance, trained under Impa even. The rest you say is even more bull****. :rolleyes: You didn't even bother to reply to my K.Rool vs Dixie post either so consider my reply a privilege. :smirk::phone:
Does that mean that all the Links and Zeldas were created via incest?...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Is it me or Galacta Knight is the new Geno? A lot of Kirby fans keep saying that Galacta Knight should be the new Kirby rep, though isn't an important character. His fans are like gnats that swarm, buzzes about about him constantly, and bite peolple until they assimilate with them. They are everywhere from Facebook to Youtube. Those were the dark times. It's gotten worse after he appeared in Kirby RtD. This new breed of rabid fanbase will never end. -_-

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Sheik = Zelda in just one game. All other Zelda games she's not. And Zelda and Link are a different person (though, incarnated as the same) every time. So no, Sheik isn't important. She's a set of clothing, a disguise, who didn't do anything of worth in her sole appearance, trained under Impa even. The rest you say is even more bull****. :rolleyes: You didn't even bother to reply to my K.Rool vs Dixie post either so consider my reply a privilege. :smirk:

Btw, suck a ****. I'm sure you are by far more experienced in that than me.

Impa 4 Smash. Keep things straight :smirk:

I want to point out that, by your standards, Sheik wasn't important during Melee. Majora's Mask came out before Melee with no Sheik and Sheik still got in. Hoots is right. They are the same freakin' character. They brought her back in Brawl too. And guess what. GASP. They'll bring her back in SSB4.

One game doesn't matter because a lot of the characters in Smash have only been in one game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, retro characters and Ness and Lucas. But Ness and Lucas where still main characters, Sheik was not.

MM is a literally a sequel to OOT, so it doesn't mather.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I want to point out that, by your standards, Sheik wasn't important during Melee. Majora's Mask came out before Melee with no Sheik and Sheik still got in. Hoots is right. They are the same freakin' character. They brought her back in Brawl too. And guess what. GASP. They'll bring her back in SSB4.

One game doesn't matter because a lot of the characters in Smash have only been in one game.
Chu, you have just spoken the truest words that I have ever heard. *salutes*

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
oh... apparently Retro's Starfox game is called Starfox United...

jeez, i hope not all of these games will go the U route.
Unlimited, Universe, [United],... U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qjRCs-SfIM&feature=g-u-u
Hate to break it to you, but that image is fake, just like much of what comes from 4chan. The big planet is a shop of the planet, and the other image is a shop of the Star Fox 64 planet screen. I'm surprised people even let this one go as long as it did.

Saki's series has only sold a few hundred thousand copies, versus millions of copies of Punch-Out!! and Golden Sun games. Plus, unlike Golden Sun and Punch-Out!!, a sequel to Sin & Punishment is doubtful at best.

I mean, if we're going to look at "new" series getting a playable character in smash, they all sell at least a million or so units units. Sin & Punishment maybe sold half a million. :laugh:
Yeah, because Sakurai totally sits there and crunches sales numbers before deciding the roster...

Also, I wouldn't rule out another Sin and Punishment entirely. While the game may not have performed well financially, critically it was well received by the demographic it was marketed for, and by some accounts (as I tend to agree) those people think Star Successor to be one of the best games for the Wii. The two most glaring problems the game faced is with the price and the target market, of which there were few. I think with the Wii U's expansion into the digital market it is possible for Nintendo to make a hypothetical sequel more financially profitable and market it better to those who would play such a game. Digital distribution helped the original Sin and Punishment perform better than it originally did on the N64.

@ Golden
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn sold more copies in the 1st week than Sin & Punishment: Star Successor probably sold. Star Successor was what the movie industry calls a "flop."

As for Sakurai's interest, he didn't show any interest in Wario before Brawl's announcement, yet he showed up. Also, fan demand for Isaac and Little Mac are much higher. Now would be a perfect time to announce Little Mac for Smash Bros, given that boxing is somehow more relevant after a certain fixed fight! :laugh:
Well guess what, Isaac isn't in some competition with Saki. If anything Isaac's biggest threat is in Shulk, not Saki. As for Assist Trophy requests, all of them are about the same when you factor in both Japan and the West, though Saki has more than you credit him.

If Saki originally made it into Brawl as an AT because he was a popular request (as Sakurai has stated), then I think whatever popularity he had then is only going to increase now with less characters to choose from and more exposure, both as a character and as a series.

EDIT: Everyone, read this.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120606qa/index.html

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Sheik is part of the story,and only appears in OOT,she's another form of the character the whole game is about.

She is PART of the mains at this point.

While we are at it,remove Bowser,Ganondorf,R.O.B.,MK,DDD,WOLF,Pokemons except for pika and trainer,because none of them was a main character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sheik is part of the story,and only appears in OOT,she's another form of the character the whole game is about.

She is PART of the mains at this point.

While we are at it,remove Bowser,Ganondorf,R.O.B.,MK,DDD,WOLF,Pokemons except for pika and trainer,because none of them was a main character.
Actually, Bowser was a main character in Super Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Meta Knight and King Dedede were main characters in Kirby's Return to Dream Land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom