• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Skull Kid is probably not going to be influenced by the Majora's Mask thing at all, especially since he's only a major character in one game. But Tingle might, mostly due to the cult love for him in Japan.
You forgot about the fact that the Skull Kid species is also in Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time. And it is implied in MM's ending that the Skull Kid is the same one as one of the three Skull Kids that Link befriended in Ocarina of Time.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
You forgot about the fact that the thing you just said doesn't really make his statement wrong.

And a Ganondorf in a SS Demise style would make not playing as him really really difficult, even if he doesn't get any better (although he will more than likely be made better).

The one time where Luigi gets the girl instead. Remember at the time when I was young first seeing that and being annoyed that Mario didn't get any love, but after all this time, I just feel bad.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
how come we never got Banjo Kazooie 360 or Uncharted Vita? it's always on a nintendo platform... except for gamecube... that got the most respect.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
One more off-topic post for the night.

@Anime: OP and Naruto? They're not even close, Pokemon has been on longer than either, and even beating that would be Doraemon which has been on since the 70s.

I should have a new stage concept for tomorrow, until then later.
Lol, how could I miss the obvious? Knew I was forgetting something haha.

Also, I lived through the 64 age. Yayyyy! :p

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to get a feeling that Saki may be the only Assist to be made playable.
I'm starting to grow doubts about Samurai Goroh and Little Mac...
EDIT: Never mind on Mac, those doubts are going away.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Probably because it doesn't role off the tongue-New Super Mario Bros Gamecube. Only game is unnecessary- New Suoer Mario Bros Game. And cube just sounds dumb- Super Monkey Ball Cube.

I know I used a a different game for the last one but I like that title better =P

:phone:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Super Mario Sixty Four
Super Mario Bros Wii
Super Mario Bros U

Super Mario Famicom?

Naw none of that

Super Mario Sunshine, well alright.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow weren't even the main villains in the first F-Zero's first story mode ever (in GX). Deathborn would have a higher chance imo and even then I wouldn't expect him to be anything more than a trophy.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I want Sora to be in Smash, just so Utada can be in Smash.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow weren't even the main villains in the first F-Zero's first story mode ever (in GX). Deathborn would have a higher chance imo and even then I wouldn't expect him to be anything more than a trophy.
True, but goroh's position as an assist trophy perhaps pulls him up a little bit. I keep thinking ATs were often characters Sakurai wanted to put in but couldn't get enough of a moveset for or just didn't quite work. Maybe he could find a place for a couple of them?

Then again, I see what golden means... I dunno.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Ya theres no way F-zero gets a second character before Metroid. Assist trophys are good for the F-zero series.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Back in the GameCube days, I thought I would see a lot of "Cubed" at the end of titles.

Super Mario Cubed.
Star Fox Cubed.
Super Smash Bros. Cubed.
Kickle Cubicle Cubed...

I remember thinking that generation had to do with SQUARES. xBOX, ps^2, gameCUBE.

Yeah...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
oh... apparently Retro's Starfox game is called Starfox United...

jeez, i hope not all of these games will go the U route.
Unlimited, Universe, [United],... U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qjRCs-SfIM&feature=g-u-u
I'm almost positive the Starfox United rumor was proven fake, but I'm not having any luck finding sources to back me up. All I have right now is that this picture:
http://i.imgur.com/oBnxS.jpg and this picture:
http://starfox-online.net/gallery/image/242-sfasarwing1/ use the same arwing.

And Nintendo milking the suffix (or prefix) currently relevant is nothing new. It's really been going on since the SNES with "Super". The Gamecube was really the only system that didn't do it. I expect a good deal of titles to have Us or words that start with U to come out in the next couple years. I'll consider myself lucky if they call it Mario Kart 8 instead of Mario Kart U. :rolleyes:
I still want Mach Rider Unchained though. :laugh:

yeah... we all wanted Helirin to be playable...
Well the theory doesn't apply to every AT, but I wouldn't dismiss characters like Goroh, Little Mac, Saki, Isaac, Starfy, and maybe even Waluigi or Lyn as considered by Sakurai at one time. Even if they never made it into the actual programming stage. I'm not saying all of those characters were considered, but I'm guessing at least a few ATs were during pre-production.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Read a few pages back, and apparently people want Ridley based off his Other M appearance.

Seriously, wtf=??? Why do we want to base Ridley's appearance after the worse Metroid game ever=???

Ridley's many appearances Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption were all much better anyways.

That and Ridley's body looks freaking awfully designed in Other M! :laugh:

D

Deleted member

I mean, first, let's factor in the unrepped series (as in, the series has yet to have a character, like Punch-Out or Golden Sun).
First, any "Retro" is kind of out, given that they are obscure and most are not suited for fighting. I'm talking characters like Devil, Dr. Wright, Excitebikers, etc.

Next we have other franchises. We know that during Brawl's development, Sakurai found only Pikmin and Animal Crossing to be "worthy" of a character. However, he said that Animal Crossing didn't "fit the vibe", and he would've considered the Crosser first, so Resetti is out.
Any series that has yet to expand after Brawl like Custom Robo or Drill Dozer are out.
Now, some series that an Assist Trophy comes from have expanded a little more since Brawl, but there are only five: Punch-Out!!, Sin & Punishment, Golden Sun, The Legendary Starfy, and Jam With the Band (Barbara). We shouldn't expect Barbara, so she's out. If Sakurai didn't find Golden Sun "worthy" before, Dark Dawn isn't likely to change his mind, so Isaac is out. Sakurai seems to not think much of Starfy (we don't know for sure), so for now, Starfy is out. Sakurai has shown interest in Saki, so it's likely he's going to be included. Mac, while a highly popular character in the States, isn't so hot in Japan. And there's also the fact that he probably wouldn't "put out much" in Sakurai's eyes like the Urban Champion. On the other hand, Sakurai could easily figure something out since Mac clearly has more to work with than the Urban Champion. So Mac is 50-50 in my eyes.

Now, we factor in the ATs from repped franchises.
For all we know, 3rd Parties are out, even if Sakurai expressed interest in Gray Fox as a playable character.
Next, we factor in who the characters are.
Lakitu and Hammer Bro. are common enemies.
Sakurai had doubts about including Wario, and basically said Wario got lucky because of WarioWare, so Waluigi would probably be pushing it.
Tingle has a bit of a hatebase in the States, and while popular in Japan, isn't too requested.
Metroid is well, a Metroid. Not too viable.
Knuckle Joe is a common enemy from one game (two counting the remake) and Sakurai might not feel compelled to add another Kirby rep anyway.
Andross is Andross.
F-Zero has been "dead" for a bit, and while that shouldn't be a reason to not allow a new character, I kind of feel that it will end up being the case.
Same with Mother, except it's "complete" not "dead". Also, Jeff is from Ness' game, and we'd more likely get a Mother 1 character or another Mother 3 character like Claus or Flint.
Lyn has too much competition and is kind of old news.
It really doesn't seem too terribly likely that Wario would get a 2nd character, so no Kat & Ana.

So really, the only one that seems to be a sureshot is Saki, and even then there's still Isa to factor in. Mac comes at a close second.

Again, this is all just my personal observations and viewpoints. Your Mileage May Vary.

D

Deleted member

Read a few pages back, and apparently people want Ridley based off his Other M appearance.

Seriously, wtf=??? Why do we want to base Ridley's appearance after the worse Metroid game ever=???

Ridley's many appearances Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption were all much better anyways.

That and Ridley's body looks freaking awfully designed in Other M! :laugh:
Well, I said I wanted Ridley to walk on all fours like Other M, not take the exact appearance.

And the worst Metroid ever? May have had some story problems, but I wouldn't go that far. Especially to those that whine about Samus freaking over Ridley. They need to grow up. ;)

And I used to be like you in that I hated his Other M design, then I saw some clips of the fight itself (in order to better visualize how Ridley would fight), but I learned that I kind of liked the design after putting aside my unwarranted distaste. :awesome:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Saki's series has only sold a few hundred thousand copies, versus millions of copies of Punch-Out!! and Golden Sun games. Plus, unlike Golden Sun and Punch-Out!!, a sequel to Sin & Punishment is doubtful at best.

I mean, if we're going to look at "new" series getting a playable character in smash, they all sell at least a million or so units units. Sin & Punishment maybe sold half a million. :laugh:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just saw the new CoroCore on Pokemon BW2, says that the cities will all go under major changes. Seems that I may have to change my latest stage concept after all. >_>

Oh and Keldeo's new form was revealed. I also believe that Serebii mentioned that there is some rumor that Genesect could be revealed later this year or something.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Golden
Okay, the stance part I get. But I think the Zero Mission, Fusion, Super Metroid, and Metroid Prime 1/3 designs are so much better.

But as for the worst Metroid game, it's still a good game. I'm not dissing it. It's just every other Metroid game that isn't Pinball or Hunters is so much better. In fact, most of the rest of the series IMHO are instant classics. No offense, but I wouldn't even want to compare recent Zelda games (Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess) to that.

Seriously, Metroid was a revolutionary game. Super Metroid and Metroid Prime changed the landscape of gaming. Thus, it is unfair to compare nearly every game to that.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Just saw the new CoroCore on Pokemon BW2, says that the cities will all go under major changes. Seems that I may have to change my latest stage concept after all. >_>

Oh and Keldeo's new form was revealed. I also believe that Serebii mentioned that there is some rumor that Genesect could be revealed later this year or something.
yeah, my friend told me about that. Also said something about different rivals. Interesting....

D

Deleted member

Saki's series has only sold a few hundred thousand copies, versus millions of copies of Punch-Out!! and Golden Sun games. Plus, unlike Golden Sun and Punch-Out!!, a sequel to Sin & Punishment is doubtful at best.

I mean, if we're going to look at "new" series getting a playable character in smash, they all sell at least a million or so units units. Sin & Punishment has maybe sold half a million. :laugh:
Sales aren't everything. Also, Sin & Punishment DID receive a sequel. It's called Star Successor. :troll:

Sakurai has expressed great interest in Saki, to where he mentions that he has recieved quite a few requests, is cool, has no problem fitting in, and rivals every other main character while saying he did his best to include him in the game right on his DOJO page.

So even if Star Successor isn't enough to make Saki "worthy" like Punch-Out would probably do for Mac, there's still the fact that Sakurai is very fond of him and acts as though he'd be perfect for Smash.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Star and Luco
Hopefully if there are other rivals, they don't totally disappear after a while.

@ Golden
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn sold more copies in the 1st week than Sin & Punishment: Star Successor probably sold. Star Successor was what the movie industry calls a "flop."

As for Sakurai's interest, he didn't show any interest in Wario before Brawl's announcement, yet he showed up. Also, fan demand for Isaac and Little Mac are much higher. Now would be a perfect time to announce Little Mac for Smash Bros, given that boxing is somehow more relevant after a certain fixed fight! :laugh:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
yeah, my friend told me about that. Also said something about different rivals. Interesting....
I'm just surprised that Keldeo doesn't look all that different. It gained a longer horn and 3 feathers in it's hair. :p

The rest of the new info is making the game look even better and feel more like a sequel though. :bee:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
If sales are a thing here, then Starfy has a good chance. All 3 GBA games were #1 at one point, and I believe the original sold around 29000 in like... the first year?

The fifth also beat out New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart DS here in the US. So not only does Starfy have sales everywhere, but he also definitely has a lot of fans.

D

Deleted member

@ Star and Luco
Hopefully if there are other rivals, they don't totally disappear after a while.

@ Golden
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn sold more copies in the 1st week than Sin & Punishment: Star Successor probably sold. Star Successor was what the movie industry calls a "flop."

As for Sakurai's interest, he didn't show any interest in Wario before Brawl's announcement, yet he showed up. Also, fan demand for Isaac and Little Mac are much higher. Now would be a perfect time to announce Little Mac for Smash Bros, given that boxing is somehow more relevant after a certain fixed fight! :laugh:
Not in Japan. Isaac (or Robin, as he's known in Japan) and Little Mac barely have any requests in Japan while Saki (and Isa) is about average, though Japan does take notice of Little Mac's (not Isaac's) popularity outside of it.
But again, sales aren't everything. Especially when Sakurai makes notice of requests that Saki had, but says nothing about Little Mac or Isaac.

And Sakurai did show interest in Wario. As a Mario clone in Melee until he decided that Wario deserved better. Though since the information came from what was it, NeoGAF? you choose to denounce it as false.
Also, remember that Bowser and Peach came before Wario in the Pre-Melee poll, so they were higher priority overall.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Poppy
Yeah, I think the "factor" holding back Starfy is a lot of people don't expect him, ask for him, and many people assume Sakurai doesn't like Starfy (for whatever reason).

@ Golden
Considering all the news from NeoGAF that has been fake these days, I doubt those sources.

Still, I think Wario would take higher priority than Sheik, the Ice Climbers, or Marth. Besides, Wah! Boshi can be a Wario clone.... FOR THE LULZ!! :troll:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@ Golden
Considering all the news from NeoGAF that has been fake these days, I doubt those sources.
I wouldn't call it all fake. They were right about the missing Wii U games at E3.

Much of the stuff in that article Golden's referring to does hold up, though a good chunk of it doesn't. You just gotta take it with a grain of salt.

D

Deleted member

@ Poppy
Yeah, I think the "factor" holding back Starfy is a lot of people don't expect him, ask for him, and many people assume Sakurai doesn't like Starfy (for whatever reason).

@ Golden

Still, I think Wario would take higher priority than Sheik, the Ice Climbers, or Marth. Besides, Wah! Boshi can be a Wario clone.... FOR THE LULZ!! :troll:
That would be implying that everything must go down the exact list, but it doesn't work like that.
Wario was labeled under a Mario character in the pre-Melee poll, so he would have been treated as such in Melee. And yes, while a Mario character would be a bigger priority than a Fire Emblem character, a Zelda character, or an old Retro, there were two added already; :bowsermelee: and :peachmelee:. Any more than that (prior to clones) would've been overkill.

But then again, would you really argue that Sheik, who is Zelda, who is the titular character of the Legend of Zelda series is lower priority than a one-time villainous Mario copy that got a few spin-offs? (Note, this is what Wario was back then.)

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
@John: Okay, I don't believe that rumor, and I don't really understand why it's such a factor.

And I remember poll results or something Chronobound found on a Japanese site that went in this order: Mewtwo, Roy, Waluigi/Starfy. AND Starfy has popularity.

I'm not sure about expectation.

Not to mention the Starly trophy conspiracy thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom