• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Eh, I'd still rather have them, even if people try to hack their scores. It is a necessary sacrifice, we need a ladder to climb and online scores, ratios, etc.
Well then it's really not competitive at all. But still, I suppose it is at least something to do. If that's what you mean you want, I suppose that makes (more) sense. :bee:
PLEASE don't make it like in Pokemon online where you can leave right before you lose and make it so it never happened. That is half the reason why I didn't play my Pokemon Black a lot on there, almost everytime I won the other person left, so losses were the only thing that showed up on my score because I am not willing to do that
That is a problem that you risk running into if you use leader boards. Again, the competitive nature of them can easily be turned into... well... just another "mode."
Oh, yeah, no way I'm going to invest too much money in tournaments and money matches.
I've never played a money match, lulz. Also, I've gone to tournaments as cheap as $5. Plus, there are always (free) Smashfests and peoples' houses you could play smash at.
Unless I get really good, but the best chances of that are a progressive online system. :3
Not really. I've been owned many times at tournaments, and each time, I got better. Heck at my last tournament, I was on a role. I beat someone pretty good. Then I faced SFAT (who dominated the tournament). He owned me, and I got better from that. After that match, I almost beat a player I thought was way better than me. It was awesome!

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
No, it's not Holder. It's why others from outside the competitive scene don't want to join. People in it that act all high and mighty.

You usually see the same people wondering why the rest of FG community looks down at smash at the same time.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
To be fair, the FG community is not any better. Its basically just a bunch of primates screaming at each other over "hacking" or "cheating".

Then again, you can apply that to any community.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Which is my point exactly. We hold double standards, by looking down at casuals but then it comes to huge tournies like EVO, APEX, and the like, they shun us and we are like "Well that isn't right guys"

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Savior of the Competitive Scene said:
It's why others from outside the competitive scene don't want to join. People in it that act all high and mighty.
Where

Is

Nine?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well, I don't really disagree with everything you've said John.
Can't believe I just said that :laugh:
just kidding buddy XD

I generally like the Smash community... I also notice in Alabama specifically that black people tend to be very into it and are very good. @_@

^^^ Not racist at all.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Iblis
You mean the non-tournament going "competitive" players who think they can kick everyone's bootie=???

Yeah, those kids are always freaking funny. Silly fanboys who think because they can beat their friends they are the bestest in the universe.

But still, casuals treating competitive players like "try-hards" are dumb (quite frankly, if they want to call me that, I'll call them other things while I scrape them), and competitive players calling casuals stupid (which really, being good at a children's toy [yes, video games are toys] doesn't make you special).

D

Deleted member

@Holder: I wonder if they want Blaziken. :troll:

Before anyone says anything, I'm not racist, but I can't let an opportunity like that pass.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
It's not okay to let people like Blazing run through like that, no matter their affliation.

Anyways, it's time for me go dancing with the crew. As much as I talk smack about this place or people here I won't let people without clue come in and do the same. I care about this place to an extent.

We out.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well, I just like to be accepting and hope with kindness we can change people. Like Naruto. :awesome:

And yeah, at the last tournament I was at, there was a huge gathering of black people that dominated and watched each other play and get all hyped up, surprised they didn't start screaming wombo combo. XD They were real chill and cool, the two that ended up beating me were really nice. Every experience with the Alabama Smash community has been very amiable. Respect.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Nothing really stands out in that article. It's basically the same stuff people have been requesting since day 1.

Although the video where almost the entire tier list consisted of Meta Knight was kind of humorous.

For that article,

Nixing Tripping: Agreed with this.
Fewer Smash Balls: It might be better to simply control the frequency for each individual item rather than all of them as a whole.
Character Balance: Dozens of fighters have tried, and I doubt they will ever succesfully get a balanced game. Even then, it depends what you mean by balance.
Smooth Online: This would be nice, but not entirely up to nintendo I feel.
Don't Split the game into two: I'd like this. The thought of a 3DS hook-up makes me squirm for any idea for making this a competitive gaming experience for all smashers while still keeping it available for casual play.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
1. Random tripping needs to be gone, yes. Perhaps tripping in general, I know Lucas can potentially lock you with his down tilt until he wants to up smash you. Or is it actually easy to get out of the down tilts? Someone correct me here.

2. Smash Balls actually need to be removed and, again I must mention this, must either be replaced by some bar or have some other system where you can activate "Super" moves. The only issue with that is balance, but that can be done.

3. We need better balance than Brawl, though honestly, I feel myself wanting to put having the characters feel distinctive, like Sakurai recently mentioned, above having them perfectly balanced. I don't want to be playing a Tenkaichi 3 where the only difference between me and the other characters is my appearance and size. Characters having distinct styles and learning curves is acceptable, we just shouldn't have any Metaknight or Ganondorf situations.

4. Everyone knows how I feel about online, especially since I just mentioned it.

5. The game I don't think is being split in two, I just think it enhances the experience. If it does more than that, then we can simply play the simple Wii U version and thus prevent it from interfering the competitive scene.

Also, any true Smasher would get both versions, sorry, but it is true. If getting both is an issue, then you aren't likely going to be in the competitive scene anyhow.

Thank you yani, 2014/2015 me will appreciate the price cut. :laugh:

Hoots

Can Be Combative
You can preorder Smash 3DS and save $10 now at Best Buy LOL

:phone:
By the time the game actually comes out, inflation will have made it so that you probably will lose money by preordering it now. Pretty hilarious.

Wow o.0 If that's true, that's pretty stupid to allow any sort of pre-ordering for these games. I imagine they must have pre-ordering for the WiiU smash game as well?

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
There is even a review on it, apparently it is 5 out of 5 stars. SSB4 being good confirmed. Now we just need to know how this guy is aware of this....

Must be Sakurai.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I preordered the game before I was even born. This is nothing new to me.

Also of course Super Smash Bros. 4 is going to be good. It's Super Smash Bros for goodness sake!

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
By the time the game actually comes out, inflation will have made it so that you probably will lose money by preordering it now. Pretty hilarious.
Its interesting reading a post like this with a sig like yours attached to it.

So really, you're aiding Gamestop's budget and you'll know its all towards a good cause because, well you know, they have the inside scoop right?

Meanwhile IGN doesn't have a clue.

Inflation will probably make WiiU games cost around $70 or something like that, and the pre-order fee will go up to $15 instead of the typical $5 or $10. Other than IGN, is there usually any other site that is reliable for its information? I remember when IGN got an article out saying they had a good idea that the new nintendo system would be a portable controller with screen. And they were right.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Practically, it wouldn't be a good idea to invest in a Wii U title until 2020. Here it is 2012 and the last game I purchased at full price was Brawl.

They have a ton of good games out for the Wii and I'm barely considering purchasing DKC Returns.

Hoots: I know it comes from an educated place.

Xeylode said:
Other than IGN, is there usually any other site that is reliable for its information?
Starphoenix is usually good about finding legitimate sources to speculation details. I think a site that he regularly brings up is NeoGaf, something with an N.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Practically, it wouldn't be a good idea to invest in a Wii U title until 2020. Here it is 2012 and the last game I purchased at full price was Brawl.

They have a ton of good games on the Wii and I'm barely considering purchasing DKC Returns.

Hoots: I know it comes from an educated place.
I would recommend DKCR if you aren't expecting a true DKC game. Its more like a fun DK/Mario hybrid.

Glad my signature is an educated one, haha. And trust me, I work at a libertarian think tank. I know a thing or two about the evils of inflation.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Ha, I did however spend my last gaming expenditure on attaining the DKC library. Had to catch up on DKC3 and whatever delights it holds.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed Returns. Seeing as how Nintendo hasn't produced a potent sidescroller in some time, this was a good change of pace.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This thread is disgusting
Says the man with the most annoying avatar in the world. Less motion is better.

Sorry if it's been said before. I just thought some discussion about competitive aspects of the game on a competitive site would be a nice change of pace from the 7000+ pages of 15 year-olds arguing about whether or not Victini or Waluigi will be in the game.
This thread has a lot of non-competitive players. You'll see more when the game is revealed.

It's pretty much written buy a tourneyfriend. The Smash Ball part makes it obvious. Also, only competitive players complain about Meta-Knight.

2. Smash Balls actually need to be removed and, again I must mention this, must either be replaced by some bar or have some other system where you can activate "Super" moves. The only issue with that is balance, but that can be done.
The other issue is that the bar is boring as heck and doesn't let the FSes be extravagant. They will only end up being boring.

Besides, items will allows gain focus in a match. People chase the Smash Ball because it helps you. This is why they run after Pokeballs for the last 3 game.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Is a Rayman inclusion getting more and more likely? Relations with Ubisoft seem great at the moment, what with their very vocal support of Wii U and a Nintendo exclusive title in the works. I could definitely see them being represented in the next Smash, and Rayman seems the perfect candidate given his recent success with Nintendo, his Nintendo-esque appearance (he would fit right in) and his notability. He would also be very interesting to play and give them a lot of options in terms of special moves and movement.

I could definitely see the next two 3rd party inclusions being Megaman for Capcom and Rayman for Ubisoft.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Why would that be boring? o.o We don't find every other thing a character can do boring, and yet doing "Super" moves inherently would be? It adds some more depth and option. While Smash Balls are fun to try and get, that isn't practical and is random.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
What if we had both Smash Balls and a Smash Gauge. The Smash Gauge would gradually fill up like a typical fighting game, but a Smash Ball when obtained automatically maxes out the gauge. To balance out this issue, Smash Balls will become rare regardless of item settings.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
That seems perfectly logical, if we are to be able to build up some sort of energy, it stands to reason that we will see items that can give you it to you for free, or max it out immediately. I also feel that if players camp or go too long without building it up, it should begin to deplete, and thus by itself discourages camping and too much defensive play (granted, the game itself should also discourage it, but it'd help), for anyone building their Smash gauge will have the advantage compared to someone who doesn't, obviously.

It would add an interesting element as well, because it could cause different ways of playing, and also have certain types of characters focusing on building that gauge by chaining attacks, so weaker characters while weaker, are better at getting their Super Smashes and therefore pose a different type of threat. Or perhaps it can be so that the bigger and slower characters are better at building it, so faster characters don't completely outclass someone like Bowser because they have to be weary of Supers.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Relations with Ubisoft seem great at the moment, what with their very vocal support of Wii U and a Nintendo exclusive title in the works
I have the same outlook on that observation. Careful though, you might receive mixed responses about 3rd Party inclusions around these parts.

Many of us have a few reserves about over reaching past applicable 1st/2nd party picks.

Personally I would love to see Ubisoft's the creative team on board. The colorful worlds and artistic attention to detail would definitely be a plus. Perhaps you can present some ideas on what Rayman's world could introduce.

Not mentioning all the Rabbid Shenanigans that would ensue. ;)

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Why would that be boring? o.o We don't find every other thing a character can do boring, and yet doing "Super" moves inherently would be? It adds some more depth and option. While Smash Balls are fun to try and get, that isn't practical and is random.
How does a bar have more options and depth? There are tactics to getting a Smash Ball, knocking it out, using and avoiding Final Smashes. But you claim that having a bar you just can use adds more depth and options? How?

It's boring, for one, because every other fighting game does it. I can actually stop here.

The problem is that the final smash (as is anything in a game) is designed around how the player uses it and the game space (the rules). Final Smashes can be strong because they only appear once in a while as item spawns, must be broken and used. You can also only have one at a time (without hacks). A bar has to be redesigned. First, you can have multiple players get theirs at the same time. Does this means multiple final smashes can be used at once? This means the game has to handle them differently (as the game can crash when using hacks with two Smash Balls) or have the other players get locked out. But what if two players can use it with the bar? Is it who ever hits the button first. What about for characters like Ike who don't use them immediately. Also, some characters will be better just for building the meter faster.

The best solution is make them weaker. If they are weaker, than you can have players use them whenever and don't have to restrict them. Of course, this makes them less like a "personalized hammer" since they have to do a lot less. You also would have to remove some like Landmasters which crash the game when 2 or more are on screen. They also have to be weaker since they will be more frequent and more than one player can have them. Basically, the more practical option is make them just stronger special movers rather than a big unique attack.

Also, they are items. So them moving and you chasing them is something that already happens in the game.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
How does a bar have more options and depth? There are tactics to getting a Smash Ball, knocking it out, using and avoiding Final Smashes. But you claim that having a bar you just can use adds more depth and options? How?
It adds to the game and your options. I can actually stop here.

It's boring, for one, because every other fighting game does it. I can actually stop here.
No, you can't stop there. Doing something that other fighting games do does not inherently make it boring. There are some things fighting games do well and would do especially well having a Smash Bros. version.

Not to mention, Smash Bros. does several things other fighting games does, and Smash Bros. doesn't suffer from it. By being a fighting game you must necessarily be similar to all fighting games in some manner, but Smash Bros. isn't boring insofar as it is. No one thinks that, and to say so would also be saying that other fighting games are objectively boring and that Smash Bros. is the only novel and fun one.

The problem is that the final smash (as is anything in a game) is designed around how the player uses it and the game space (the rules). Final Smashes can be strong because they only appear once in a while as item spawns, must be broken and used. You can also only have one at a time (without hacks). A bar has to be redesigned. First, you can have multiple players get theirs at the same time. Does this means multiple final smashes can be used at once? This means the game has to handle them differently (as the game can crash when using hacks with two Smash Balls) or have the other players get locked out. But what if two players can use it with the bar? Is it who ever hits the button first. What about for characters like Ike who don't use them immediately. Also, some characters will be better just for building the meter faster.
Well, first off, these Supers don't have to be so big and monstrous. Not to mention, the Wii U is going to be pretty strong, you have characters in Playstation All Stars with bars and it doesn't seem like multiple people using them at once causes it to crash, or else they wouldn't be setting the game up like that at all. And the Wii U is supposed to be stronger, right? But that is beside the point.

Also, characters who build up their meters better doesn't have to make them better, especially because they don't have to be these monstrous things. They also can be designed to help out slower or weaker characters, and it can also be designed to have multiple uses where you can spend some of your bar to do certain things, and thus trying to build it up to the highest level can be difficult and also put you at a disadvantage against someone who is using their Smash energy freely. There is a lot you can do with it, and many ways to balance it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The main issue with Rayman is that he's not created by a Japanese company. Not to start up any racist controversies, but generally Japanese companies have a distaste for other companies from other countries (USA in particular). Not sure if Sakurai and his rag tag team of developers follow the stereotype, but its possible we'll never see Rayman. Especially considering that Rayman is pretty obscure in Japan.

A shame too, because he can easily have a moveset and fit in the crowd as another quirky character. Plus being a limbless character would make him stand out from the other characters barring possibly Sukapon.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
I have the same outlook on that observation. Careful though, you might receive mixed responses about 3rd Party inclusions around these parts.

Many of us have a few reserves about over reaching past applicable 1st/2nd party picks.

Personally I would love to see Ubisoft's the creative team on board. The colorful worlds and artistic attention to detail would definitely be a plus. Perhaps you can present some ideas on what Rayman's world could introduce.

Not mentioning all the Rabbid Shenanigans that would ensue. ;)

I actually agree, and if I could have it my way there would be no 3rd party support. But, seeing as it's probably inevitable, might as well speculate! :bee: And I don't have too much of a problem with it as long as they don't go too overboard, and keep it one character representing one studio. Smash for me is about Nintendo, and I guess 3rd parties are part of Nintendo sometimes.

As for Rayman himself, I think the most interesting thing that he could add is his unique movement. He manages to be buoyant, like Jigglypuff and Kirby, but also quick and not overly light. It could be great fun to play as. There's tons of potential for moves as well, the new character introduced in Wii U could definitely be used and a Rabbids final smash could work nicely. A Rayman Origins/Legends stage would be great as well I'm sure:

There's probably better options, but this gives you an idea.

I'm actually not a Rayman fanboy (only played Origins) but seeing Ubisoft at E3 this year got me thinking, and I actually think Rayman is a strong possibility now. And I'm not opposed to the idea.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
The main issue with Rayman is that he's not created by a Japanese company. Not to start up any racist controversies, but generally Japanese companies have a distaste for other companies from other countries (USA in particular). Not sure if Sakurai and his rag tag team of developers follow the stereotype, but its possible we'll never see Rayman. Especially considering that Rayman is pretty obscure in Japan.

A shame too, because he can easily have a moveset and fit in the crowd as another quirky character. Plus being a limbless character would make him stand out from the other characters barring possibly Sukapon.
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Well this kind of squashes my idea, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see him. I agree the limbless thing is a nice hook.

ViperGold42

Smash Lord

I've also heard that Sakurai wants to go out to other generations of gaming or universes, I've heard Darth Vader/Obi-Wan Kenobi can make a apperance bringing in big money because Star Wars fans would join the smash community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom