• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

@Star: Isn't HAL a 1st Party?
I remember last that only Pokemon was a 2nd Party.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
And yeah, at the last tournament I was at, there was a huge gathering of black people that dominated and watched each other play and get all hyped up, surprised they didn't start screaming wombo combo. XD They were real chill and cool, the two that ended up beating me were really nice. Every experience with the Alabama Smash community has been very amiable. Respect.
You do realize that if you go to any NorCal tournament, you meet half of the people from that video, right=??? :laugh:

I actually once was interviewed by the announcer of that match like 3 years ago because I faced Mango in friendlies... and I got beat pretty bad, of course! XD

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Life sized is what we're aiming for isn't it? If we're looking into the specifics, Pikachu should only be about chest level to Mario thats counting his ears (check your local Pokedex ladies and gentlemen)

If we were to determine Ray by the scale of his life sized battles, we would be considering bots and other mechs that resemble his own size.
Yes. Like I said, he has done it for every other character, so I'm not sure why Ray is some exception? Or Little Mac for that matter, but that is a whole different topic.

@Star: Isn't HAL a 1st Party?
I remember last that only Pokemon was a 2nd Party.
HAL is technically second party from what I know.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I don't know about Custom Robo DS, from what I know Battle Revolution was the superior title. If, hypothetically, Custom Robo came to the Wii U I could see how the Gamepad and gyroscopic sensors could be used in conjunction with the TV.

The only thing I have ever noticed about Sakurai is that despite what people think about sales, all he really takes a look at is whether a series has had a new game or not. While I'm sure this is a shocking revelation (sarcasm), it's just something I noticed. It's part of why stages out of all the content reflect newer games in each series.
I'll have to look up some reviews then.

I agree to an extent, a series getting a new game is definitely a big factor, I doubt Sakurai cares about numbers (probably is too busy anyway). New game content to take from is something that's great for continuing to build upon Smash.

But I do think it gets a little fuzzy with characters (why no new F-Zero character yet? :3) and overrated when you get into things like relevance.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Smooth
What is your favorite video with that "Wombo Combo" sound clip=??? (ie: the Donald Driver catch and run)
Not sure if Sakurai and his rag tag team of developers follow the stereotype, but its possible we'll never see Rayman. Especially considering that Rayman is pretty obscure in Japan.
Sakurai doesn't necessarily believe that. Just look at his Wii's virtual console library, and you will see all kinds of American and European games! :laugh:

Also, a lot of the current developers of the Sonic series (for instance) are not Japanese. ;)
This thread has a lot of non-competitive players. You'll see more when the game is revealed.
Not just that, but non-competitive players are "accepted" just as easily as if they were competitive.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Star said:
he has done it for every other character, so I'm not sure why Ray is some exception?
Perhaps it is Olimar that holds the exception? >.>

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No, I want an answer. I have been sitting here for the last few post saying "How does it add more depth." I have yet to get an answer.
Having a bar you get for using attacks, specifically landing attacks, rewards players for actually fighting and not running away like wimps. With the Smash Ball, you can run away like a little beach and chase it and win matches just by running and gunning for Smash balls. This is so easy to do as (say) Falco against a slow character like Bowser (without a long-range move).

I know this works because I have done this strategy before. I used to face 1 of the best Wario players in the world and I did this a few times when he had items. I was Tink! :laugh:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I agree to an extent, a series getting a new game is definitely a big factor, I doubt Sakurai cares about numbers (probably is too busy anyway). New game content to take from is something that's great for continuing to build upon Smash.

But I do think it gets a little fuzzy with characters (why no new F-Zero character yet? :3) and overrated when you get into things like relevance.
Well the only thing I think new games affect the most are stages. Characters still fall under the discretion of Sakurai at the end of the day.

Perhaps it is Olimar that is the exception? >.>
Not really, look at the height dimensions for Charizard. Dudes freaking huge compared to other characters (or Pokémon for that matter).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
HAL is actually 1st party nowadays. I posted this a while back:

Basically HAL Laboratory used to be a third-party developer, but when they started making games for the NES, they received financial support from Nintendo. These games failed to generate a large enough income, and in financial crisis were bought out by Nintendo, making them first-party.

Source: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAL研究所
(It's in Japanese)

There is alot of conflicting information about HAL's ownership though, so I'm betting it's a little more complicated than that.
As for Custom Robo, I've played both the GCN and the DS versions, and IMO the Gamecube game is the superior of the two, even though I think they got pretty similar reviews. Custom Robo Arena is still a great game though, and it's good for a portable Custom Robo, but the Gamecube Custom Robo is the better game. I really hope they make a Custom Robo for the Wii U, I don't recall NOISE doing anything recently anyway. I always thought the Custom Robo series was way underrated. It's definitely a "hidden gem".

I'm not optimistic for Ray's chances in Smash anytime soon though.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Well the only thing I think new games affect the most are stages. Characters still fall under the discretion of Sakurai at the end of the day.
Yep I agree. Characters are a whole different story.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
L@@k Dat Up-Smash!

Ya'll have been providing them comic relations all day!

LOL Star, I'm talking what matter of character he is.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
HAL is actually 1st party nowadays. I posted this a while back:
Maybe they are now. All I do know is Kirby is still technically a second party series, or so I've heard.

As for Custom Robo, I've played both the GCN and the DS versions, and IMO the Gamecube game is the superior of the two, even though I think they got pretty similar reviews. Custom Robo Arena is still a great game though, and it's good for a portable Custom Robo, but the Gamecube Custom Robo is the better game. I really hope they make a Custom Robo for the Wii U, I don't recall NOISE doing anything recently anyway. I always though the Custom Robo series was way underrated. It's definitely a "hidden gem".

I'm not optimistic for Ray's chances in Smash anytime soon though.
Actually NOISE have expressed interest in doing another Custom Robo series as recently as February. Perhaps if they could pull a Treasure and get Nintendo to green light a project, then perhaps it can happen. Not going to hold my breath though. Robot arena games seem to have gone out with the nineties.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Star said:
Not going to hold my breath though. Robot arena games seem to have gone out with the nineties.
Though you've got to consider the new spectrum the Wii U is introducing. Possibilities all over the place.

Still think Mother nature is funnier, John

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm just wondering; I know that Miyamoto pretty much can make or break a character's chance of getting a spot on the roster, but does anyone know if he's more partial to his own creations?
Still no response to this?

I'm invisible:O

But seriously, can anyone answer this?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
No one knows, but I imagine that is not a matter anyone can just delve into. (Fortunately

I think the only thing that comes close is the discussion over how he is Impartial to Donkey Kong, when it was suggested that he was otherwise.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ah, I see. For some reason I thought it was mentioned in an interview or something.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Though you've got to consider the new spectrum the Wii U is introducing. Possibilities all over the place.
Yeah, I mean Treasure got Nintendo to green light Sin and Punishment: Star Successor for the Wii after all. That game was Nintendo's attempt to give something to the "core" crowd. Too bad they left the Wii a long time ago. THAT game was phenomenal; but that's straying from the point.

I'd think if there was a way Nintendo could use Custom Robo as a multiplayer experience and really drive that point home, I think it could work. F-Zero and Custom Robo would be two really fun franchises that could not only make use of the Gamepad, but offer rich multi-player experiences for the Wii U. I mean look at Kid Icarus, the ability to customize your character and fight in a 3D arena has been one of the selling points of the game. Custom Robo could offer that same experience for the Wii U, but deeper and with less Greek overtones.

Either way, back onto point, I wish Ray had a shot at being playable. Sadly he is a longshot, even among all of the other ATs.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I'd think if there was a way Nintendo could use Custom Robo as a multiplayer experience and really drive that point home, I think it could work. F-Zero and Custom Robo would be two really fun franchises that could not only make use of the Gamepad, but offer rich multi-player experiences for the Wii U. I mean look at Kid Icarus, the ability to customize your character and fight in a 3D arena has been one of the selling points of the game. Custom Robo could offer that same experience for the Wii U, but deeper
I certainly can appreciate how customization befits a certain depth for a multplayer experience. What's inconvienent about that kind of focus to the gameplay is that handling the details can take time to smooth out.

At this point we have no idea where next Smash schedule stands with respect to time. Though judging by some of our own predictions about the Wii U's launch window, there might be some pressure on their end to handle things sooner than later due to the ridiculously high demand.

What we've seen with the previous launch is a bunch of developers get introduced to a revolutionary new concept, but they meet difficulty in making the experience as phenomenal as the market expects.It took util the end of the Wii's lifespan for even the First Party developers demonstrate the scope of the console's capabilities.

(Plenty of Grade A titles loaded with fresh content, setting the next true bar from a franchise. All of which we didn't get to see in Brawl because we wanted Brawl first.)

Its a catch 22 because we expect these new experiences, well because Nintendo promotes them, but the parameters of those experiences aren't given nearly enough time to develop in order to meet those expectentions. Not nearly enough time for developers to get acquanted with the next big vision.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Awesome like an Opossum
I imagine Miyamoto someone is Sakurai can lean on, especially since Miyamoto is one of two of Sakurai's mentors, along with Iwata.
I doubt Miyamoto has that much power in developing and making decisions in game he's not working on.
Miyamoto was an executive producer of Smash 64 and Melee, and had a huge impact. He helped develop movesets for all of the characters he created or was involved with the creation of, which is nearly all of the Smash 64 roster, and most of the Melee roster. Literally Miyamoto has had the 2nd biggest impact on Smash, behind only Sakurai himself.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You know, I'd really like to see a Subspace Emissary 2 out of the next Smash Bros. If Sakurai's intention is not to include a whole bunch of the characters in the next game, then at least give me another comprehensive single player experience, but better. I keep having this mental picture in my mind of having a team of Link, Kirby, and Metaknight fighting Galacta Knight as a fire rages in the background.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I'd hate to be the guy that manages the shipping of characters for certain events.

D

Deleted member

Not really, look at the height dimensions for Charizard. Dudes freaking huge compared to other characters (or Pokémon for that matter).
Charizard's only 5 feet. Which means in canon, he'd be shorter than Snake and Samus (Power Suit), who are both around 6 feet, IIRC.

However, there are size discrepencies galore in Smash anyway, at which point someone like Olimar shouldn't even be seen in a canon fight (he can fit in R.O.B.'s eye socket).

It's these size discrepencies that make size arguments flawed.
So Ridley is too big? Nope, he can be resized. It doesn't make sense? Well neither does a lot things in Smash regarding size; deal with it.
(This last paragraph isn't towards you, just making reference to "Ridley is too big" peeps. ;))

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
I would be willing to bet on another fleshed out single player experience. Sakurai loved working on it, and it was received well-ish.

I'm actually looking forward to it. I mean, I would like to see a host of improvements to the formula, but a story mode is pretty much the peak of fanservice, throwing all those characters together like that. I still get goosebumps during the cutscene where the Subspace Cannon blasts apart the Halberd, and Samus's Gunship, the Hocotate Freight Ship, an Arwing, and the Falcon Flyer come bursting out to Brawl's main theme.

I had a heart attack the first time I saw that.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Charizard's only 5 feet. Which means in canon, he'd be shorter than Snake and Samus (Power Suit), who are both around 6 feet, IIRC.

However, there are size discrepencies galore in Smash anyway, at which point someone like Olimar shouldn't even be seen in a canon fight (he can fit in R.O.B.'s eye socket).

It's these size discrepencies that make size arguments flawed.
So Ridley is too big? Nope, he can be resized. It doesn't make sense? Well neither does a lot things in Smash regarding size; deal with it.
(This last paragraph isn't towards you, just making reference to "Ridley is too big" peeps. ;))
I thought Charizard was tallen than that? I guess not. Either way, the point still stands that characters sizes fluctuate to accommodate the game.

Although, all this talk of second party series makes me curious. What is everybody's favorite second party Nintendo IP?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@John
Pokemon
Custom Robo
Golden Sun
Starfy
Sin & Punishment (though Nintendo completely owns the IP, I guess it might count as a 1st-party IP)
also Eternal Darkness might be one, but I'm not quite sure if Nintendo owns or co-owns the IP.

My favorite is honestly... probably Pokemon. Golden Sun is a close second though.

It used to be Banjo-Kazooie. :cry:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
@ Kuma
Maybe you could provide videos=???

As for Sonic, I think I get it.

I do kinda get what you mean with Virtual Fighter, although I haven't played any game in that series in ages.
This video goes over Xiaoyu's stance mechanics in Street Fighter X Tekken. This one goes over her normals and specials, and I recommend watching this first. It should get the message across. Trust me, it's not all that complicated once you see it.

So without turning this into a move set discussion thread, I want to post these examples so that perhaps I can get some insight from Kuma and others.

I want to demonstrate how we can expand a moveset library based on positioning. Much like how characters with chains/tethers (what have you) can use attacks from Z to assist their recovery options, movesets like these can inspire dynamism among characters.

This one is representative of how new age sonic takes on a boosting techniques, this could be a side B technique that can used on solid ground.

When the game registers that Sonic is airborne, his Side B will adopt this ring toss (light dash) technique.
Are we talking about any other situations besides ground vs. air? Either way, I would definitely like to see aerial exclusive specials, especially since you have characters like DK and Peach who only have three specials in the air.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@John
Pokemon
Custom Robo
Golden Sun
Starfy
Sin & Punishment (though Nintendo completely owns the IP, I guess it might count as a 1st-party IP)
also Eternal Darkness might be one, but I'm not quite sure if Nintendo owns or co-owns the IP.

My favorite is honestly... probably Pokemon. Golden Sun is a close second though.

It used to be Banjo-Kazooie. :cry:
Really? How do you figure Sin and Punishment is closer to a first party IP than the others? Pokémon I understand, but I'm just curious.

Hey, for anyone who knows Sin & Punishment well, would this style of fighting suit Saki?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVWu9VO2Fs0

There's no specials or FS, though (other than a copy of Link's Up B without a hitbox, so that he has some form of Recovery until he's complete)
Outside of the weird shock effect on every single attack of his, yes, it would suit him fine. Although I think his range of attack seriously needs to be shortened.

Also, this:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hey guys, sorry I haven't been active here as of late. Work and life stuff got me busy. So no new news concerning Smash 4, I take it?

However, from the wide range of new games released at E3, I think many doors have opened up concerning inclusions in Smash 4. For example:

While it's considered a mini game, Takamaru's mini game in Nintendo Lsnd could possibly point at a Takamaru revival which may affect his possible inclusion in Smash 4.

As well, I'd love some representation of the Zombie U game. Either AT, stage, enemies, or games.

:phone:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I would hate for sakurai to fledge out a moveset for a boss only SSE character so people could ***** at him about it (which for good reason), kind of like making trophy stages that are only available for certain events.

Such a waste...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom