• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
@Venus
I agree about Takamaru, but I doubt we'll see any ZombiU content, considering it's a Ubisoft game.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how much content Project P100 gets in Smash. I don't expect a character, but maybe an AT or something. Sakurai seems to have taken an interest in it, at least.

Really? How do you figure Sin and Punishment is closer to a first party IP than the others? Pokémon I understand, but I'm just curious.
IIRC, Nintendo completely owns the S&P IP, which would make it a 1st party IP, even if it was made by a 3rd party developer (although it was also developed by Nintendo R&D -- not that that really means anything). I know Nintendo commissioned Treasure to make a rail-shooter, but right now I'm trying to find the source where it confirmed Nintendo wholly owned the S&P IP.

Anyway, that's the only reason I view it as a possible 1st party IP, as opposed to Pokemon and Starfy, which I know aren't wholly owned by Nintendo, and GS and Custom Robo, which I haven't found any source saying if they are fully or co-owned by Nintendo, so by default I assume they're 2nd party IPs.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
If such games are first party I feel they deserve priority when it comes to rep then. It's interesting learning who is 2nd party and who is 1st, lol

AIM0001

Smash Lord
This may be off subject for what the last few pages have been talking about but I just wanna say I think Smash bros. 4 wont be shown until E3 2013 and it'll be released Q1 or Q2 of 2014 at the latest.

Also I'd like to see Mega Man and Pac-Man for 3rd party slots. Another Sonic character wouldnt hurt.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So, random Pokemon news, but apparently Keldeo is getting a new "Resolution Form." No pictures yet, though. Just thought it was worth a mention.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Speaking of Pokemon, was it true that Serebii begged Nintendo to remove Mewtwo from the game? And that GameFreak treathened to bail out of Smash if Jiggz would be removed?

Oh and I guess I kinda support Maxwell from Scribblenauts now

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I believe the whole Serebii thing is true. IIRC, one guy complained and wrote to them about it. Many people in the Pokemon fanbase sort of believe that that was one reason for Mewtwo's removal. Not the only reason, but a reason. Not sure on the Jigglypuff thing.

And as unlikely as he is, I would love Maxwell. Scribblenauts is fantastic in my opinion.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
@Venus
I agree about Takamaru, but I doubt we'll see any ZombiU content, considering it's a a Ubisoft game.
Yeah, I know. However, I'll wouldn't say it's totally out of the picture considering it will be a launch title most likely, a WiiU exclusive game, as well as being a game designed to showcase the Gamepad features. Yeah, there are licensing issues but given the title in question, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo and Ubisoft to forge some kind of deal.

As well, it could possibly lead to....dare I say.....a playable Assassins Creed character?? ψ(`∇´)ψ

yani

Smash Lord
I've heard about the Jigglypuff one. Never heard of the Mewtwo/Serebii issue though. Do you have an article? I'd love to read about it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That Mewtwo / Serebii thing I read up about in this thread by some poster. Can't post no article. I only know that it was Serebii who first told the world that Lucario was in Brawl, and Mewtwo was not.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I highly doubt Serebii was the main contribution to Mewtwo being removed. He may be the host of a well known Pokemon news/fan site, but he's still only one guy. Nintendo doesn't usually take requests from random people regardless of status.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
...did you not read his post at all?

Smooth Criminal
The problem here is that I asked for it like for 3 post. N3ON was the only one who posted it. It happened before we were arguing I think.

Which begs the question why did no one put it up before if that was what I was asking for 5 post back.

@SmashChuThis seems pretty clear how it would involve more depth than just attacking a ball when it shows up. It would definitely influence playstyle more than a Smash ball, and people would go in depth trying to find the best ways to build up their meter in the shortest time, and use it at specific levels best needed for the situation. Even by simply having different levels does it go more in depth than a Smash ball that always gives the same attack at the same level.
Thanks for finding the post.

I could go more into this, but building it and using it isn't much different than how the Smash Ball works. You still have to grab the Smash Ball, keep it, and use it at an appropriate time. Some characters can kind of blow it (which is also a problem with a bar system as well), but it adds differences to them. Ill go more into it some other time.

...Does Smashchu hate me or something? Why is he trolling me? I thought we were cool. D:
No. I don't hate you. I just wanted my question answered. We couldn't have gone forward with the discussion without that information. My frustration was that I wasn't getting a clear answer from anyone. And that's all I wanted. If you had said it before, just quote yourself. Shouldn't be too hard since it would have been recent.

No hard feelings.

Dumbfounded by Smooth Criminal. Try to come into a discussion, say "Huur, you sallllllllllllty" and provide nothing for 3-4 post
(or even actually)
. N3ON did more in less time.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I've never really cared for Smash Balls but I know this idea will help those who do use it.

Instead of the Smash ball randomly falling out of you from random number of hits, the game should have a counter 3 hits in a row for a person to lose the Small Ball, and the Smash should have a consistent amount of health everytime it reappears.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Man. What a weird dream. N posted a picture of himself that was FULL OF HOMO, and Shorts was jealous that he may have lost his potential ***hag, N3ON, to N.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Not just that, but non-competitive players are "accepted" just as easily as if they were competitive.
Such an open community :)

Having a bar you get for using attacks, specifically landing attacks, rewards players for actually fighting and not running away like wimps. With the Smash Ball, you can run away like a little beach and chase it and win matches just by running and gunning for Smash balls. This is so easy to do as (say) Falco against a slow character like Bowser (without a long-range move).

I know this works because I have done this strategy before. I used to face 1 of the best Wario players in the world and I did this a few times when he had items. I was Tink! :laugh:
One of the problems is it focus the game play in a certain direction. Think Sony Smash Brothers and Sweettooth's spamming.

Of course, it's not more depths. It's just different. The game becomes building and the meter, fighting and than using it. It's not different from getting the Smash ball (which has a lot of tactics and strategy)

I've never really cared for Smash Balls but I know this idea will help those who do use it.

Instead of the Smash ball randomly falling out of you from random number of hits, the game should have a counter 3 hits in a row for a person to lose the Small Ball, and the Smash should have a consistent amount of health everytime it reappears.
The beauty of it being a random drop is that you can lose it at any moment. Encourages you to use it sooner, which may not always be better. Given, some are, but that's more a balance issue of the moves vs. the Smash Ball itself.

D

Deleted member

I would hate for sakurai to fledge out a moveset for a boss only SSE character so people could ***** at him about it (which for good reason), kind of like making trophy stages that are only available for certain events.

Such a waste...
Is this directed at Ridley?

Or is this about a boss being like a character yet not playable, because I would agree with that being stupid.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Sometime after that I was playing a Pokemon game which didn't allow you to go back. And there was a time limit for how long you could stay in areas. Actually, I must have been watching someone review it, because they kept praising it as "refreshing" instead of "bull****."

D

Deleted member

Speaking of both Pokemon and Ridley....
Ridley is a Pokemon confirmed:

:troll:

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Is this directed at Ridley?

Or is this about a boss being like a character yet not playable, because I would agree with that.
For any character that was of quality that was cut short. This however boils down to the person precieving it I guess. It would have to be more of a group decision for sure.

The beauty of it being a random drop is that you can lose it at any moment. Encourages you to use it sooner, which may not always be better. Given, some are, but that's more a balance issue of the moves vs. the Smash Ball itself.
I guess that does give you a thrill. I guess I would have to use it more often to completely understand. Which makes me wonder, what kind of random factors are fun vs. destructive.

Smash Balls vs. Tripping

Sometime after that I was playing a Pokemon game which didn't allow you to go back. And there was a time limit for how long you could stay in areas. Actually, I must have been watching someone review it, because they kept praising it as "refreshing" instead of "bull****."
Tell it like it is.

D

Deleted member

Just as long as that isn't anti-Ridley. :troll:
Cuz who wouldn't want summa this?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Do you think they will add elemental factors into this Smash?

I'm seeing things like actually stages with rain and such, seeing you know the small stuff that makes you go wow. Little water splashes coming up, with a little less traction on said stage. Snow-filled stages, with more traction. We already got ice stages. More wind effects in certain areas.

You know, make work with areas that would such effects.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
One of the problems is it focus the game play in a certain direction. Think Sony Smash Brothers and Sweettooth's spamming.

Of course, it's not more depths. It's just different. The game becomes building and the meter, fighting and than using it. It's not different from getting the Smash ball (which has a lot of tactics and strategy)
Sony All-Stars' direction is way more extreme than just a meter. That game is making it where the only way to K.O. is with supers. No one is suggesting that here.

There are ways meter adds depth. Think of it as the MP in RPGs, except you have to build it up to use your more powerful moves. Outside of that, it emphasizes momentum which we know Sakurai wanted to emphasize with the original Smash. If either of us has enough meter to use it for something, we become aware of our increased options and the risks and rewards involved in fighting.

As an example, in Street Fighter 4, Chun-Li's options of getting out of a situation are to block and back dash away. With some meter, she can use an EX Spinning Bird Kick to get the opponent off. However, the opponent knows that with the meter available, Chun-Li will likely use it so the opponent might bait it out and punish her.

You can say the same thing about momentum. You can lose it in a fraction of a second or get it back.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
@Iblis I always thought there should be an option for time-of-day on all stages. It may not be practical, but I imagined playing on Delfino Plaza at night with fireworks lighting up the island sky and couldn't resist thinking about other stages benefiting from changes in time (where applicable, of course). And yeah, weather effects would be lovely. Perhaps just for outdoor stages, though. I always wanted to play in a blizzard, and Summit failed to deliver that to me (even though I do like the stage).

@Smash Ball discussion: I just like Smash Balls more than the meter concept. If I really had to qualify it, I'd say I prefer the former just because of the instantaneous impact they have on a match. Meter has its benefits, but I prefer the "big moment" nature of a Smash Ball appearing. That being said, I'd like the frequency with which Smash Balls appear to be somewhat consistent in stock matches, and the Smash Ball should become more ragged looking as it takes damage, that way players can tell how close it is to breaking.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I probably mentioned this before, but a more versatile Special Mode should be considered for Group Mode.

Basically, you would be able to give each player different attributes, instead of everyone having to follow the same settings. For one example, one player is a giant, while another is normal-sized and metallic.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Smash ball should have those lightballs rotating aroung it.

@MaSG:But then that means you can cheat and make you have everything good and the others everything bad.
And i think that being giant is still more powerful than tiny and metallic.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
@MaSG:But then that means you can cheat and make you have everything good and the others everything bad.
And i think that being giant is still more powerful than tiny and metallic.
Well again it's a Special Mode feature only, so it can't be utilized in Standard Mode, nor Tourneys. Also, being able to perform actions like that can add a lot more diversity to your Special Mode matches.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah I've been talking about a special mode like that for a while, glad someone else suggests it though. I was hoping that would be in Brawl really bad but it didn't happen. :/

Also, Smashballs do not add a lot of strategy to games, even when they are allowed in. You go and pop them and they randomly pop open (although a lot of characters have a HUGE advantage at breaking it open than others), and you activate it and get a likely KO. The most interesting thing you can do is not use it immediately to try and raise the opponent's percentage to guarantee a KO, but really that is it. That is just a small part of what bars could do. Smash Balls are just big random fun items, which is why they aren't allowed in competitive play.

And yeah, the way Playstation All-Stars uses bars is super dumb, I don't want it like that in our game, at all.

Also, doubting Serebii had anything to do with Mewtwo being gone. That just seems silly. Sakurai does he wants, serebii could cry himself to sleep at night for whatever unknown reason he didn't want Mewtwo in.

Has anyone given much thought to the "smash formula" changing at all? One of the biggest things which is talked about has always been the new added content, but I was thinking of how they might change it.

With the ability to have 2 wiiU Controllers and people having separate screens, Smash could possibly attempt a 3D mode instead of being stuck on a 2D playing field. Sort of like soul caliber. It might be interesting to see Mario fling people around (like bowser in n64).

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I doubt SSB4 will use two Gamepads because it will likely be graphically demanding and the framerate being halved would be an issue. That and it is a four player battle party game, so I doubt asymmetrical play would be in, or even a mode strictly for two players to battle with Gamepads like that.

Uuuuugh I hate typing on a different laptop, keep messing up. >__<

I thought it possible Nintendo will likely want to use the features the system has to offer somehow for a large game like this. Each installment has seen some sort of increase in the ways to play the game. N64: platform, target, 1-player, and that was it. Melee: adventure mode and all-star mode was added. With Brawl, the subspace was like adventure mode, but with co-op play added. They added a boss mode.

Something like a 3D mode using two game pads game to mind as a possibility.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, I suppose there could be a little mode now that I think about it as long as the framerate somehow doesn't become an issue. And perhaps a mode even with asymmetrical play could be amusing, like a player messing around with items, players, and the environment perhaps, maybe even summon things, etc.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It'd also probably take a lot of work to do, which would thus mean less attention to the mode that really matters: 2D.

GiantBreadbug

Smash Ace
NNID
GiantBreadbug
3DS FC
5327-0910-4273
Y'know, in a game like Smash Bros., adding new content does keep the gameplay fresh. I don't know why there's this implied mutually exclusive duality between adding more characters and having a new experience. The core game concept behind Smash Bros. is strong, and a radical change is not necessary to make the game good. Smash Bros. holds the grandeur it does because of the worlds through which its mechanics are presented, and adding more fun, unique characters further diversifies that presentation.

Sakurai seems to think differently, though. He keeps talking about a radical new direction for Smash U/3DS, so we'll see, I suppose. Either way, the game will be great, but I'd hate to see any great potential content snubbed in favor of a major overhaul. The series is just a baby, after all.

As far as things like new modes or a couple of new battle mechanics go, I'm totally on board. It's drastic changes to the basic formula that I think would distract from building on what makes Smash so great.

There would be ways around it I wager for controllers. In the end, I hope the original smash idea is still kept with, but they do add in some other differences for when your bored. One thing I loved about the smash games was because I could do a multi-player brawl, or go and do a ton of achievements in 1-player in different scopes.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
You people who argue/discuss characters and game modes. Bahhh...
I just hope it doesn't have garbage brawl-esque physics. So slow and... easy.
I could hardly care who they have, even if it had less characters than brawl I could be satisfied. But I don't want a game that focuses on chain grabs and getting out of combos after 14-22 or so frames... seriously.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Has anyone given much thought to the "smash formula" changing at all? One of the biggest things which is talked about has always been the new added content, but I was thinking of how they might change it.
All the freaking time. I guess my gameplay talks always get drowned out in the sea of character discussion though.

There's been a bunch of things I've contemplated about. I'll just make a list without going into details.
[COLLAPSE="Ideas"]
  1. Walking back and forth ala traditional fighters - running is kept the same. This is to encourage more of a ground footsies game.
  2. A turn around button for mid-air and for walking
  3. A block button that doesn't break down.
  4. On hit canceling into normals, specials, jumps, dashes, etc.
  5. Air dashes
  6. Crouch dash
  7. Turning B into another attack button
  8. Traditional FG inputs for specials - too allow diversity in the amount of specials.
  9. High jumps
  10. Magic series and similar chains
  11. Super meter
  12. Grab breaks.
  13. Close range grab for tether throwers
  14. Movement momentum like Melee
  15. Streamlining of DI
  16. SDI only on specific moves
  17. Counter attacks (NOT like Marth's)
  18. Super specials
  19. Defensive counters (look up alpha counters)
[/COLLAPSE]

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You people who argue/discuss characters and game modes. Bahhh...
I just hope it doesn't have garbage brawl-esque physics. So slow and... easy.
I could hardly care who they have, even if it had less characters than brawl I could be satisfied. But I don't want a game that focuses on chain grabs and getting out of combos after 14-22 or so frames... seriously.
Poor, pitiable Soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom