• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
And thus the knowledge flows, I'm feeling what you said Iblis.

Johnknight said:
And if you really want to "prove yourself" and continue to get better by playing against everyone, there is always tournaments to go to, and friends to play against.
Certainly true, though overall based on last year's discussion, we hope to have more modes and options to promote those diverse environments.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Also, remember that they were getting opinions on character additions from as many places as possible. Not just Sakurai and Miyamoto himself. So, if Miyamoto doesn't suggest it, someone else could, and the idea could be brought to the table.
That is why I think there is going to be over 100 characters "considered." Because Sakurai is asking for tons of opinions by his employees and from other Nintendo sources. Maybe he even asked some of his friends and mentors, such as Miyamoto, Iwata, Kojima, and NON-SPECIFIC ACTION FIGURE!!!
I can definitely see the trademark on his productions John, which furthers my desire to have him orchestrate the Smash Brother's adventure mode(s).
Yeah, if Miyamoto made the adventure mode(s) for smash bros, that would seriously kick so much butt. It would be like a NOSTALGIA-GASM that was so strong, your TV BLEW UP!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I do believe it was Toise who said Wario is Nintendo's most successful, and least repped series in Smash.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Hmm.. can't say I have an opinion on which way Wario should go, either way seems fine to me personally. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I had played the WL games, I've only dabbled in the one you get for free on the 3DS Ambassador program. :laugh:

@John, I don't want to use some site to do it, that takes all of the fun and simplicity out of it. I hate to bring up a shooter, but with shooters, it has the addictive reputation because it is quick to pick up and for you to get better and better and mess with all of the modes you want. Smash Bros. is so much better than that to me, yet it doesn't do that. I want Smash Bros. online to ruin my life.

Also, my friends aren't good, and tournaments are too far because the Brawlers in my state like I said don't live in my area, and I can't drive without leeching on either one of them or someone else. Entirely my fault I guess, but still inconvenient.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If Toise meant Wario Land, he's right.... aside from the Mii/Nintendo series.

If Toise meant Wario as a whole, we got this thing called "Metroid"... and "Donkey Kong Country." Although I get what Toise means.

He was referring to how small the pool of Wario stuff was (it was all basically from 2 of the Wario Ware games).

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I agree with n on that. Wario alone suffices. Waluigi would be the only one, but that first requires for him to start being a part of his games, which I'd really love.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
It is interesting to see that a lot of the reason why Brawl was made because they thought that Smash Brothers was what they wanted to use with online functionality, yet the online was of poor quality, you had little freedom, and there was no ranking system.

In fact, Kid Icarus Uprising, while fun, didn't have a ranking system either. ;-; Becoming afraid there will be none. Without that feeling of progression, the replay value decreases greatly to me. With the ranking, it also makes sure that I don't come across bad players, learn against great players, and don't come across taunt parties, and thus making it a great sit-down-and-play experience that Smash goes for.

Though, even without a ranking system and freedom to control how matches are, the Miiverse really excites me with the potential, and should at least provide a lot of replay value alone. With it we will be able to find all of the good smashers in your area (maybe state? did they say how the Miis are decided in your particular Mii Wara Wara?), in fact, competing for the top spot in your state will become something very simple to attempt!

It's just, I'd prefer to be able to sit down and progress online and learn how to play without NEEDING to meet up with the best people around (especially since the best Alabamians live on the opposite end and I can't drive still).

Did n say Wario needs revamped? Is that how people feel? That he needs a Wario Land style vs a Wario Ware one?
YOU LIVE IN BAMA HOMIE??? YOO I COULD POSSIBLY TRAVEL TO PLAY YOU HAHAH

But to what you were saying, the ranking system has more postives as you have stated compared to the situational negatives that fret Sakurai's mind. With rankings intact it gives people incentives to try harder and most importantly keep coming back to the game.

To your 3rd paragraph, I suggest you look at my idea of every 10 wins unlocks a DLC of a top level player showing off an AT or gaming concept of smash. Something like what they do here already on Smashboards :p

All in all, KI was a great step in the right direction and I'm glad you've expressed this because I love talking about such features of the game.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I did find it interesting that it happens to be Nintendo's beneficiaries that develop those top notch titles, which is perhaps the sole reason we weren't blown away by this year's convention.

It is good to have a body with members of different talents.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Certainly true, though overall based on last year's discussion, we hope to have more modes and options to promote those diverse environments.
That's why you wouldn't just have Miyamoto by himself! Sure he could add a touch of Mario, a pinch of Zelda II, a mist of Yoshi, and a spray of Donkey Kong (arcade), but you need more developers than that. You have Sakurai throw in sprinkles of Kirby and Kid Icarus, Retro Studios throwing in some ideas that become sparkles of Donkey Kong Country, have Nintendo EAD contribute a bile of Wario Land, a test tube of Metroid have Kojima add a hint of Metal Gear, and SEGA splash in some Sonic.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Well actually I was referring to socially competitive play with that mention, but I do agree with where you are coming from.

Just in the way that Sakurai shouldn't be managing all the fine details alone, neither should Miyamoto in his department.

Holder of the Heel said:
Waluigi would be the only one, but that first requires for him to start being a part of his games, which I'd really love.
Which reminds me...

Perhaps one day

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@John, I don't want to use some site to do it, that takes all of the fun and simplicity out of it.
Not really, because you could make some friends doing it. ;) Plus even if you get leader boards, fans could make a leader boards and stage band/counter-pick/neutral list that is a thousand times better. I mean, I hardly think fighting on Wario Ware should have an impact on how you are rated as a player! :laugh:
I hate to bring up a shooter, but with shooters, it has the addictive reputation because it is quick to pick up and for you to get better and better and mess with all of the modes you want. Smash Bros. is so much better than that to me, yet it doesn't do that. I want Smash Bros. online to ruin my life.
Well, shooters all rely on systems of getting people addicted and have mostly balanced stages. With smash bros., you got all kinds of stages that are easy to win with by camping, stalling, and whatnot. On top of that, online console games these days are hacked like crazy. Just look at the Mario Strikers Charged leader boards. Everyone on the top has scored 999 goals in 1 game before according to it. Really, the only place where online leader boards are ever accurate is on computer-based online games or by fanbases.
Also, my friends aren't good, and tournaments are too far because the Brawlers in my state like I said don't live in my area, and I can't drive without leeching on either one of them or someone else. Entirely my fault I guess, but still inconvenient.
Well once rides aren't an issue, there is no issue of getting to tournaments, except for money Johns. :laugh: I doubt your state lacks tournaments, unless you live in Wyoming.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Time attacks and score leaderboards is another to be competitive without fighting and gives the game diversity. It would give something for those not as hardcore players something they can dig into.

I know my casual friends love that kind of thing and I do too.

Like imagine. Number of hits+distance leaderboard for homerun contest, people could defintely get into it for that.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Elements that make competition fun without making the focus of the outcome so overbearing.

We'd have to know what our options are.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Wait, so why again is Waluigi an exception? I find it kind of sad that you think Waluigi is a better choice than Mona or Syrup.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well actually I was referring to socially competitive play with that mention, but I do agree with where you are coming from.

Just in the way that Sakurai shouldn't be managing all the fine details alone, neither should Miyamoto in his department.
Miyamoto leans on guys like Eiji Anouma all the time. As for Sakurai, it's not even that those people/companies should design it for him (although I think Kojima would be willing to). It's just Sakurai should get some advice, some design help, and some pointers on how to make the adventure mode more like particular series.

Then, let the Smash Wii U and 3DS development teams' adventure mode staff/group make it with all that, with Sakurai and others supervising it.

Quick side note: I do think Miyamoto should be a supervisor for smash again. Sakurai seemed to lean on him a lot in Smash 64 and Melee. That definitely helped Sakurai.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
YOU LIVE IN BAMA HOMIE??? YOO I COULD POSSIBLY TRAVEL TO PLAY YOU HAHAH
Baha, u so silly.

But to what you were saying, the ranking system has more postives as you have stated compared to the situational negatives that fret Sakurai's mind. With rankings intact it gives people incentives to try harder and most importantly keep coming back to the game.
I am glad someone shares my thoughts, I love Brawl, perhaps my favorite game, and it has great replay value, but now I never touch it. It is a shame, and I know if there was a silly ranking that I could increase that I'd feel compelled to climb the top. In fact, I'd keep coming back even after breaks because then I'd feel threatened to stop playing. All rather silly when you think about it, but that works really well, and who knows, had there been something like that in Brawl, I'd perhaps still be playing it sporadically to this day. Amazing the potential Sakurai has in his hands! XD

To your 3rd paragraph, I suggest you look at my idea of every 10 wins unlocks a DLC of a top level player showing off an AT or gaming concept of smash. Something like what they do here already on Smashboards :p
Interesting... anything downloadable I'd welcome. :D

All in all, KI was a great step in the right direction and I'm glad you've expressed this because I love talking about such features of the game.
Can't argue with that, Uprising had some amazing polish, diverse multiplayer, decent balance (even with abilities and items in matches). There were some weapon types that were overpowered in general, and a lot of orbiters just plain struggle in any situation. There were even some weapons that could take you out in one shot, I believe! Wonder if Sakurai balanced this one on his own. But anyways, the game relied on stats and a bunch of abilities that had like an infinite amount of combinations, so to be quite frank, the fact that Uprising's multiplayer scene wasn't a complete mess is a testament to his (or his team's) balancing skills.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Star, how do you feel about Wario series, Yoshi series, and Mother in terms of newcomers?
Yoshi probably isn't going to get anyone else to rock the Egg icon. Wario is weird, I think we could see a WarioWare character, but the problem is there really is no demand for anyone from either Wario series. Bar Sakurai's own executive decision I don't think Jimmy T, Mona and the gang fare very well.

This might get me shot, but I think MOTHER can easily get another character. There are still enough hold outs from the Masked Man bandwagon to still raise their voice. Do I think it's likely? No, but out of the three series MOTHER probably has the best chances to see another character from its series.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
John said:
I do think Miyamoto should be a supervisor for smash again. Sakurai seemed to lean on him a lot in Smash 64 and Melee. That definitely helped Sakurai.
If not out of respect for their roles, but for the fun of that experience I mean, this is smash brothers! the blockbuster that allows Nintendo fans to come together in a fashion that isn't gay

(Yes I'm looking at NintedoLand)

Holder said:
But anyways, the game relied on stats and a bunch of abilities that had like an infinite amount of combinations, so to be quite frank, the fact that Uprising's multiplayer scene wasn't a complete mess is a testament to his (or his team's) balancing skills.
I regard that he took great care with that title as something he believed in, no so much based around a freelance role as Brawl was, but a title he was fully committed to developing as an artist.

@A-hole Link
Oh good lord, that is link's embodiment isn't it? Thank goodness his youth went out the window, perhaps Majora's mask hardened him.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Baha, u so silly.

I am glad someone shares my thoughts, I love Brawl, perhaps my favorite game, and it has great replay value, but now I never touch it. It is a shame, and I know if there was a silly ranking that I could increase that I'd feel compelled to climb the top. In fact, I'd keep coming back even after breaks because then I'd feel threatened to stop playing. All rather silly when you think about it, but that works really well, and who knows, had there been something like that in Brawl, I'd perhaps still be playing it sporadically to this day. Amazing the potential Sakurai has in his hands! XD

Interesting... anything downloadable I'd welcome. :D

Can't argue with that, Uprising had some amazing polish, diverse multiplayer, decent balance (even with abilities and items in matches). There were some weapon types that were overpowered in general, and a lot of orbiters just plain struggle in any situation. There were even some weapons that could take you out in one shot, I believe! Wonder if Sakurai balanced this one on his own. But anyways, the game relied on stats and a bunch of abilities that had like an infinite amount of combinations, so to be quite frank, the fact that Uprising's multiplayer scene wasn't a complete mess is a testament to his (or his team's) balancing skills.
I'm serious, me and Reflex/ and Elev8 and also a couple of bama players have played on multiple occasions.

Yeah, downloadable stuff is the best, especially when it's helpful and free :smirk:

I need to buy a 3DS and KI:U

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
If not out of respect for their roles, but for the fun of that experience I mean, this is smash brothers! the blockbuster that allows Nintendo fans to come together in a fashion that isn't gay

(Yes I'm referring to NintedoLand)
Awww, I thought everyone grew to love Nintendo Land? :(

This is what will happen if anybody dare say Brawl was the best Smash Bros. game there ever was.

:rotfl:

*takes over the thread and starts a dictatorship*
Hey, I personally just like playing that one more. It has my man Olimar. :olimar:

Not really, because you could make some friends doing it. ;) Plus even if you get leader boards, fans could make a leader boards and stage band/counter-pick/neutral list that is a thousand times better. I mean, I hardly think fighting on Wario Ware should have an impact on how you are rated as a player! :laugh:
True, you can make more friends, but on the Wii U with the Miiverse, that can happen all the same. Online doesn't seem like this way to please yourself or connect with friends anymore on this system, it actually seems to connect you with nearby people. :D

Well, shooters all rely on systems of getting people addicted and have mostly balanced stages. With smash bros., you got all kinds of stages that are easy to win with by camping, stalling, and whatnot. On top of that, online console games these days are hacked like crazy. Just look at the Mario Strikers Charged leader boards. Everyone on the top has scored 999 goals in 1 game before according to it. Really, the only place where online leader boards are ever accurate is on computer-based online games or by fanbases.
Eh, I'd still rather have them, even if people try to hack their scores. It is a necessary sacrifice, we need a ladder to climb and online scores, ratios, etc.

But PLEASE don't make it like in Pokemon online where you can leave right before you lose and make it so it never happened. That is half the reason why I didn't play my Pokemon Black a lot on there, almost everytime I won the other person left, so losses were the only thing that showed up on my score because I am not willing to do that myself.

Well once rides aren't an issue, there is no issue of getting to tournaments, except for money Johns. :laugh: I doubt your state lacks tournaments, unless you live in Wyoming.
Oh, yeah, no way I'm going to invest too much money in tournaments and money matches.

Unless I get really good, but the best chances of that are a progressive online system. :3

Oh, and Iblis, yes, get Uprising! It is the best 3DS game out there right now, and it is very lovable.
And it'd be fun to play Brawl again I guess, especially knowing that I think Reflex is the best in our state? He'd probably embarrass me. :laugh:

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
This thread is disgusting but I'll pop in to say that the 3DS connectivity and emphasis on personal experiences will probably mean the SSE Sticker System will be available in multiplayer and on Wii U if using a 3DS. Start a stock off with a Pokeball or Beam Sword, blast resistance, power buffs, all with a very limited area to place stickers; basically just like the Powers System in Kid Icarus Uprising. I'd personally be all for that. That's just my prediction.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Hopefully they try to inspire more of the same type humor and innuendos that Uprising had to offer. I'd love to see that this next game has some self awareness about Nintendo's history.

Much in the same likeness of showing things like "Its super effective" or patch conversations from the Starfox cast.

This thread is disgusting but I'll pop in to say ....stuff
Wait, so why again is Waluigi an exception? I find it kind of sad that you think Waluigi is a better choice than Mona or Syrup.
How embarrassing.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
This thread is disgusting but I'll pop in to say that the 3DS connectivity and emphasis on personal experiences will probably mean the SSE Sticker System will be available in multiplayer and on Wii U if using a 3DS. Start a stock off with a Pokeball or Beam Sword, blast resistance, power buffs, all with a very limited area to place stickers; basically just like the Powers System in Kid Icarus Uprising. I'd personally be all for that. That's just my prediction.
OH MY GOD. YOU'VE COME HERE WITH SUCH INSIGHT. WE HAVE NEVER EVER INTERPRETED THINGS THE WAY YOU DID.

Thank god you stopped by right?

yani

Smash Lord

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Waluigi is an exception because Mona, Syrup, Pancakes, etc. all suck as characters. Besides, I was more so thinking Waluigi joining the Wario Land scene, which would indeed be superior.

And hey now, don't be mean to the Bronie, we want to be welcome to everyone, even if they are holding double standards and being disgusting initially.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
OH MY GOD. YOU'VE COME HERE WITH SUCH INSIGHT. WE HAVE NEVER EVER INTERPRETED THINGS THE WAY YOU DID.

Thank god you stopped by right?
Sorry if it's been said before. I just thought some discussion about competitive aspects of the game on a competitive site would be a nice change of pace from the 7000+ pages of 15 year-olds arguing about whether or not Victini or Waluigi will be in the game.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Victini TOTALLY needs to be in before Waluigi.

Anyone who says otherwise is a *****.

Come at me.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So glad you came here, I think this would indeed be the way it will be done!

Though this means we'll be seeing more dumb stickers of what all sorts of Nintendo Characters...

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
BlazingKatakiri said:
Sorry if it's been said before. I just thought some discussion about competitive aspects of the game on a competitive site would be a nice change of pace
Reminds me of a familiar conversation.

Try to follow in with what's being discussed currently, we have the same witness to current events/ideas as anywhere else.

After reading your observations I felt compelled to do some GIMP editing

I think I'll start by swaping PM where Wayne should be

[COLLAPSE="The Sticker Mayne"]

[/COLLAPSE]

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Sorry if it's been said before. I just thought some discussion about competitive aspects of the game on a competitive site would be a nice change of pace from the 7000+ pages of 15 year-olds arguing about whether or not Victini or Waluigi will be in the game.
Thanks for tuning to see me and others from the competitive scene post in here. Wait, you didn't read...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom