• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwayneGang

Smash Journeyman
IMO it would be really dumb is Sakurai were to bring back someone as Dr.Mario or Pichu, they are nothing but clones with no moveset potential whatsover, at least Roy could have his moves modified and Mewtwo was unique, but I still find it hard to believe that Sakurai would want any of them back, sadly that was Melee, this is SSB4, there time has cone and gone. xcept Mewtwo lol..

I'm taking a gamble for saying this, but...

Clones? 2 words for you: Don't care.

Lightosia

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Light0sia
Also, making clones with some differences like Melee would be nice to have a larger cast.
Black Shadow could easily have Ganon old moveset (Ganny gets a new one, WITH HIS SWORD).
Louie as a Olimar clone. (difference in power and some specials)
Daisy as a Peach clone. (again, power and specials)
Shadow as a Sonic clone.

Segastorm

Smash Apprentice
Also, making clones with some differences like Melee would be nice to have a larger cast.
Black Shadow could easily have Ganon old moveset (Ganny gets a new one, WITH HIS SWORD).
Shadow as a Sonic clone.
woah woah woah, shadow as a sonic clone? I'm sorry, but I just cannot see that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Shadow as a Sonic clone.
Black Shadow is pretty much the only character that I see making the cut. Everyone else can just be alternate outfits.

Anyway, I had that same thought about Black Shadow having Ganondorf's old moveset; Captain Falcon's semi-clone should've been an F-Zero character anyway.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Shadow as a Sonic clone.
Adding characters "just because" doesn't sound nice to me. :/

Segastorm

Smash Apprentice
I also think that Tails deserves more to be playable than Shadow. He is older, more important and more unique.

However, Shadow is an assist trophy and Tails...
Hey, neither character deserves a part as an assist trophy, that role should left to various species and very not well known characters.

Back the the Tails VS Shadow debate....Tails is a bit more unique than shadow, besides, picture his final smash, the cyclone(or whatever his walker was named).

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Forget Shadow, Forget Tails, forget a second Sonic rep in general.

It's clear that Megaman or Ryu will win this bout, enough said.

Don't agree? DEAL WITH IT!!

/OUT

:phone:

Zap tackle

Smash Journeyman
^(Segastorm) I agree with your point. Also I really don't understand as to why people take it that just because a character is an assist trophy means that they're automatically more important than those who are not and have a chance to being playable. Look at characters like Resetti, Nintendog, and even Hammer Bro.. Is there really a chance of them becoming playable? All of the assist trophy characters are like the pokeball Pokemon. They're in because they bring in some humorous or disastrous type of effect during the Brawl matches. I'm really tired of seeing the assist trophy = automatic importance theme (considering characters like Waluigi as well).

Honestly, I feel that Tails is a much better contender IF Nintendo decides to add another Sonic rep. He is Sonic's sidekick (much like Mario's "Luigi") and would be a lot more original than Shadow. Just because he's an assist trophy doesn't mean that he has better chances than more relevant characters like Tails or even Knuckles.

You can add Pokemon trainers but in the end they use pokemon to fight so like I said it's impossible. But notice how no other series has generic characters, there are no goombas, no hammer bros, no moblins, no metroids, just all star characters, and a character like Toad won't get in, why? because he's a generic character, the only other generic character in smash besides pokemon is Yoshi, but he was included in the very first game, a game Nintendo wasn't even gonna bring to America in the first place, a game where the inclusion of characters weren't important.

Tho it also helps that Yoshi got his own game.
'BUT SO DID SLIME! SO HE CAN BE ADDED'
you're telling me of ALL the characters square can add to represent the company in such an all star roster game like Smash bros, they're gonna pick a limbless generic character? get real, Cloud has a better shot thanks to the new game they just revealed.
Just because a character is generic doesn't mean that they cannot get in. Sakurai never mentioned this anywhere. Also your reasoning for Toad is wrong as he is a strong contender for the next Smash along the likes of Jr. and Paper Mario. He has been around for many years, and has starred in many games as a main character. He is also iconic to not only the Mario series, but as well as to the Nintendo company itself. He has potential for a unique moveset (something most people tend to overlook). Honestly, it seems like everyone is bashing Toad for the same reasons each time (moveset, Peach's B move, generic, "boring"); despite the fact, that all of these problems can be overlooked and fixed easily in the Smash series.

Also, Sakurai does show interest in Toad as he was infact one of the characters that he put into his journal for consideration as a character during Brawl's development. Toad had obstacles to face during that time; however, SSB4 is a perfect time for him to finally get added into the roster.

Also I wouldn't overlook Slime's chances. The company seems to love using Slime as they mascot and looking at future Mario crossover titles, Slime is still present in all of them. He was even added in a Mario Sports game for goodness sake (despite being a "limbless generic character").

In short, generic characters are not automatically ruled out and have the same or equal chances to individualized characters. This has never been a rule in the smash series.

D

Deleted member

@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy: How likely is it that you think we'll get a second Sonic rep? You seem to be very supportive of Tails inclusion.
Pseudomaniac said:
Personally, I think if Mewtwo shows up he'll be DLC (along with possibly Lucario). Just my 2 cents.
You might have a good point there. If this will truly be the last Smash game (Which I doubt), I can easily see them using DLC to get as many characters that people want in as possible along with stages, music, modes, etc. to extend the life of the game. That's why I think that the roster we see for SSB4 won't be final.
SwayneGang said:
I'm taking a gamble for saying this, but...

Clones? 2 words for you: Don't care.
I would kind of care about that. I would much rather have a 45 slot character roster with only unique characters then a 100+ roster filled with clones. The only new clone I would accept is Black Shadow and that's under the condition if Ganondorf gets his own move set.
MelMoe said:
Why does everyone want to give Ganondorf a sword to make him unique?
Because otherwise, he would be a weakling clone of Captain Falcon.
Zap tackle said:
^(Segastorm) I agree with your point. Also I really don't understand as to why people take it that just because a character is an assist trophy means that they're automatically more important than those who are not and have a chance to being playable. Look at characters like Resetti, Nintendog, and even Hammer Bro.. Is there really a chance of them becoming playable? All of the assist trophy characters are like the pokeball Pokemon. They're in because they bring in some humorous or disastrous type of effect during the Brawl matches. I'm really tired of seeing the assist trophy = automatic importance theme (considering characters like Waluigi as well).
In some cases like Waluigi and Nintendog, you are correct as they don't deserves to be playable, but for those who clearly demostrates the move set potentials to be playable {Ray, Saki, Starfy, Little Mac, Isaac}, I think it helps their cases. So being an Assist Trophy helping their chances depends on whenever or not they have move set potentials and I believe the five I've mentioned have shown enough in their games to be playable.
Zap tackle said:
Honestly, I feel that Tails is a much better contender IF Nintendo decides to add another Sonic rep. He is Sonic's sidekick (much like Mario's "Luigi") and would be a lot more original than Shadow. Just because he's an assist trophy doesn't mean that he has better chances than more relevant characters like Tails or even Knuckles.
I would have to agree, Tails would be the best new Sonic rep. I used to have him as my second most wanted character for SSB4 back in the day before I realized that his chances are very poor and there are much better third-party candidates. Still, if we get four slots, I'd be okay with Tails getting in as long as Sonic, Snake, and Mega Man are in first, even if I have others I'd rather see.

And in the likely chance Tails isn't playable, what do you think of him replacing Shadow as an Assist Trophy? I heard he was planned to be an Assist Trophy in Brawl and I think this would be the perfect time for him to get in.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yep. Online is disgusting. I just played with Luco for like forty five minutes. The lag makes me want to cry. I felt like a massive n00b because of it.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Toad's potential to be interesting and unique fails when compared to the other next-in-line Mario characters.

OhwhoopsIguessIwasalittlelateinresponding. :V

Segastorm

Smash Apprentice
The only new clone I would accept is Black Shadow and that's under the condition if Ganondorf gets his own move set.
Ganondorf having a new moveset is rather unlikley, maybe a switched up move or 2, but not an entire moveset. Looking at all the Smash 64/Melee guys that went over to brawl, they've barely changed all, the only one I can remember ATM was Marios Down B special. So odds are, no returning characters are getting new movesets, unless nintendo has tons of time and pulls a surprise change on us.

Segastorm

Smash Apprentice
and who here agrees with me when I say they should bring back some of the smash 64 stages, sure they did Final Destination/Battlefield, but that's just unique to Smash Bros. in particular.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hey Segastorm, you should try not to double post, because you can actually get in trouble for it. It's a much better idea to quote. Not being mean, just telling you so you don't get in trouble!

D

Deleted member

Ganondorf having a new moveset is rather unlikley, maybe a switched up move or 2, but not an entire moveset. Looking at all the Smash 64/Melee guys that went over to brawl, they've barely changed all, the only one I can remember ATM was Marios Down B special. So odds are, no returning characters are getting new movesets, unless nintendo has tons of time and pulls a surprise change on us.
It's not impossible to change Ganondorf's move set. Look at how much hate Ganondorf got for being a poor clone of Captain Falcon. It is ranked among the worst in the tiers for good reasons. Ganondorf is without a doubt, deserving of a new move set and I think the people who wants his move set changed outweigh that of those who wants his move set to stay the same. At this rate, the only way to make Ganondorf not suck is to give him his own move set, which he deserves. I would much rather see his move set change then Zelda get a fifth rep.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
You know what I think? I think we should capitalize on the fact that Sakurai got blindsided by Iwata's announcement and doesn't have a Game Design Document made yet. The top players and TO's of Smashboards should all get together and make a GDD for him, one that covers all the basic design elements so that we can get a head start on whatever crazy **** he wants to throw into the next game.

Also, when the game DOES come out, we should learn from our mistakes and not ban anything for the first 3-6 months of having the game. Seriously, take it super slow and methodical.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
ugg, this game couldn't come soon enough, my Wii just broke an hour ago and won't read any game disc, even Brawl. :(
Now I got to wait until Nintendo repairs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom