• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There is more than just characters to hype about...

There is more than characters to hype about...
In the long run, all I have ever played in this series was vs mode. If its not characters you changing up, its items, game mode, or stages. Other than that, I really hope they deliver something really unique.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Well yeah Tri-Hy, but I mean, this is a crossover game we're talking about. The focus is on a bunch of different Nintendo characters and universes coming together, and people like to see their favorite characters and stages and whatnot be a part of that. So, nothing's really gonna get you hyped like how some of your favorite characters getting in would do unless it's something like Final Smashes. At least, that's how I see it

BTW, I'm not sure yani, maybe 8 or 9 GB?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Is it me, or does Chrono post in his own universe?
Yeah, pretty much.

I think of him as like, an old war veteran. He's been through a lot. This is the only place he can share his thoughts, but no one truly understands the kinds of things he feels. How many can relate to a man that has been part of the speculatory scene since the beginning?
PTSD?

Yeah. The wii discs are designed for about 8 gigabytes and use a double layer. Although, only half a dozen games have ever used the 2nd layer as far as I know. Obviously, Brawl being one of the few.

25 gigabytes worth of storage space... Geez. I wonder how serious Nintendo is getting about getting better support for 3rd party developers if this is true.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
There is more than just characters to hype about...
The problem is is there really isn't. I do not play Smash Bros because it is a deep or complex fighter, I play it because I get to see my favorite Nintendo characters go at it.

Yeah. The wii discs are designed for about 8 gigabytes and use a double layer. Although, only half a dozen games have ever used the 2nd layer as far as I know. Obviously, Brawl being one of the few.

25 gigabytes worth of storage space... Geez. I wonder how serious Nintendo is getting about getting better support for 3rd party developers if this is true.
That is pretty standard for Bluray discs. Nintendo's proprietary discs don't need to be much more than that now because most companies are not going to max out the space available.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
He's not Samus.
Samus, funny enough, was the whole reason why I followed Smash Bros. in the first place. I learned of Smash Bros.'s existence through a Metroid fansite in late 1998 prior the Japanese release. I was so excited that Samus would finally make her 3-D debut. It was so great that not only Samus would return, but also that she would be in a game alongside all of my other favorite Nintendo characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
In one of the most graphically unimpressive game at the time? :troll:
As a Metroid fan, I took anything I got, and I was pleased to even see Samus make a cameo in Kirby's Dream Land 3 and Super Mario RPG. I was also absolutely giddy when I saw Ridley flying across the background to the Planet Zebes stage in Smash 64 for the first time.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The problem is is there really isn't. I do not play Smash Bros because it is a deep or complex fighter, I play it because I get to see my favorite Nintendo characters go at it.
Didn't you say a while back that you don't care about characters, only stages?

Anyway no more stage, music, gameplay, online, single player discussions then. :troll:

I still want to know how Nintendo plans to combine their 3DS and WiiU system smash games together somehow. With a strategy game like pokemon it worked perfectly. But, trying to connect fighters over a mobile sytem and a game system make me shudder.

Then again, I have never really gotten into the portable fighters much to really know how well they can work.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Chrono, I don't know why you wouldn't have as much hype as before, now that two of your most wanted characters (Ridley and Megaman) have better chances than they ever did before. Although I guess I can understand if you've been doing this for nearly fifteen years. Most of the rest of us have only been seriously speculating since pre-Brawl or afterwards....

Anyway, you might be the only one that won't get more hyped up when the DOJO rolls around. I just hope we don't get like a three-month character drought this time. I don't expect the DOJO to have daily updates til after E3 2013 though, at the earliest.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
...I wonder if the two versions will have a story that's connected somehow. Like, maybe the story on the Wii U is presented as more linear, but on the 3DS the idea would be that your character has instead taken a more EXPLORATORY route to build up his or her whatevers. Then when you transfer them back onto the Wii U, they're like "OKAY, found a lot of stuff, time to go on."

I dunno.

It's like if Uprising's flying part was on the Wii, and the land battles were on the 3DS, lol.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Didn't you say a while back that you don't care about characters, only stages?
You know what I'm talking about, or if you do not, let me enlighten you. I'm reaching back to what was discussed yesterday when people started advocating rebooting the roster. At it's core Super Smash Bros is about our favorite Nintendo characters going at it. The appeal IS the characters themselves, not the mechanics. Yes, in some ways Super Smash Bros is not a fighting game in the sense that it is not the gameplay that defines the game, but it's content. Characters play a part of that, stages play a part of that, music play a part of that. Everything ties into each other because they are snapshots of games we love, experiences we have had, stitched together on one canvas, one game known as Super Smash Bros. This is why the series has been as successful as it has been, and why there are many issues with where to go with the next game.

I'm not advocating that the gameplay is unimportant, just that the draw of Super Smash Bros is not in it's technical proficiency, and I have a little bit of a problem with this mindset that gameplay takes preeminence over the content. There has to be balance. I do not want to see Super Smash Bros. 4 going the Street Fighter III route, because both series are dramatically different. There are things worth learning from Street Fighter or other fighting game series, but Super Smash Bros should not have to conform to some perceived standard of what it must have to be a good game according to a minority. Balance, that is the key.

I still want to know how Nintendo plans to combine their 3DS and WiiU system smash games together somehow. With a strategy game like pokemon it worked perfectly. But, trying to connect fighters over a mobile sytem and a game system make me shudder.

Then again, I have never really gotten into the portable fighters much to really know how well they can work.
I'm not really into portable fighters either. They usually end up being a mess to control for me.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

I'd figure it would involve items like Kid Icarus. You'd probably get items or power-ups and use them in the Wii U version which would be your standard fare. Like, you'd buff a character with stickers and another item thingy and you take them into Classic or All-Stars or Online and play with your new over powered creation. Of course, you can play both separately.

@Star:I think Smash is a kind of game that utilizes content and gameplay. Both are important to a game to get people to play and then keep playing it. It's a combination of both.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Star: Don't worry I already got what you and Metal were getting at even before I said anything, it seemed that everyone was acting like "X" character gets in or bust. Characters are the main part and center of the hype factor, I'm not that dumb. :p

Still could have sworn that you said you only cared/cared more about stages.

This isn't an argument, but I do remember that when the 2nd Brawl trailer came out I was more happy about seeing a Mario Kart and Kid Icarus stage than Fox being in, I flipped out when they showed off PS2, an updated version of my favorite stage from Melee. Good times.

I even remember contantly listening to the remixed tracks on the dojo over and over again. My dad even caught me listening to them and said he enjoyed them too. lol

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
@Star:I think Smash is a kind of game that utilizes content and gameplay. Both are important to a game to get people to play and then keep playing it. It's a combination of both.
It is, hence why my repeated use of the word "balance" was intentional. At it's core though the Super Smash Bros series is about the characters themselves and not solely the gameplay. I feel like people swing to one end of the pendulum depending upon where I visit.

Still could have sworn that you said you only cared/cared more about stages.
I do, but I am talking about games as a whole. The worlds themselves; representation in a literal sense. Believe me, I love my stages. What I'm talking about is something more philosophical in nature. I'm just not always great at being eloquent with the point I'm trying to make. Being concise is not one of my strong suits.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'd figure it would involve items like Kid Icarus. You'd probably get items or power-ups and use them in the Wii U version which would be your standard fare. Like, you'd buff a character with stickers and another item thingy and you take them into Classic or All-Stars or Online and play with your new over powered creation. Of course, you can play both separately.

I just wanted to use the thumbs down icon because I never see anyone use those things.

I think my avatar is about to have a thumb war with it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Smash is a poopy enough fighter to work decently on the 3DS. Having Blazblue on the 3DS, was a mistake however.

And Star is completely right, it's about the characters.. who's honestly that excited for SSE2 and StickersPLUS? The gameplay probably won't be that great, and, yeah, it ultimately comes down to the faces in the game.

Which is why if I don't see any characters that hype me get in, I definitely won't buy it. (Partly because I've grown disinterested in Video Games)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is a large amount of idiots over at NeoGAF who think Jigglypuff should be cut this time if Sakurai is making cuts.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
There is a large amount of idiots over at NeoGAF who think Jigglypuff should be cut this time if Sakurai is making cuts.
Oh, it's worse than that, I saw that large list that had Mr. Game and Watch or R.O.B being cut to "make room". You want to know what? That's an awful idea. And for what? So the roster can be filled with B-grade characters? Yeah, I don't think so.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
who's honestly that excited for SSE2 and StickersPLUS?
I actually am. I still have good memories of both and I want to see how they can be improved on. Multiplayer gets boring and it's nice to have something else to do in the game.

The **** load of extra stuff is one of the reason I enjoy Smash games so much in comparison to other most other games in general. There's always something to do.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Oh, it's worse than that, I saw that large list that had Mr. Game and Watch or R.O.B being cut to "make room". You want to know what? That's an awful idea. And for what? So the roster can be filled with B-grade characters? Yeah, I don't think so.
I saw worse. There are at least two people who said Ganondorf should be cut for Ghirahim. I also definitely remember one post making mention that Peach should also be cut too.

The sad thing is that if Sakurai does say that there will be less newcomers for Smash 4 than there were for Melee and Brawl., expect this type of thinking to go wildly out of control.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I saw worse. There are at least two people who said Ganondorf should be cut for Ghirahim. I also definitely remember one post making mention that Peach should also be cut too.

The sad thing is that if Sakurai does say that there will be less newcomers for Smash 4 than there were for Melee and Brawl., expect this type of thinking to go wildly out of control.
See, that's probably what bugs me most of all about this whole whinefest. You want to cut popular and existing characters for, again, B-grade characters? I mean really Mr. Game and Watch for Ghirahim? Look I like the guy too, but it would be a horrible idea to replace ANYONE for him. Same goes for plenty of other characters, even ones I like. Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, King K. Rool, Palutena; I get those characters, anyone apart from them I do not. It makes little sense to me at all.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
See, that's probably what bugs me most of all about this whole whinefest. You want to cut popular and existing characters for, again, B-grade characters? I mean really Mr. Game and Watch for Ghirahim? Look I like the guy too, but it would be a horrible idea to replace ANYONE for him. Same goes for plenty of other characters, even ones I like. Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, King K. Rool, Palutena; I get those characters, anyone apart from them I do not. It makes little sense to me at all.
I think if Sakurai says, "Don't expect more than 13 (or possibly nine) new characters for Smash 4. :troll: " that things will get very ugly in terms of speculation and character support.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think if Sakurai says, "Don't expect more than 13 (or possibly nine) new characters for Smash 4. :troll: " that things will get very ugly in terms of speculation and character support.
Which would be hilarious since 13 is a fine number of characters, lol.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I don't know, it'd be nice to get a straight forward answer out of him for once. lol

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
See, even then it really isn't that much of an issue because there are only like five clear cut favorite choices, and beyond that it is pretty much up to Sakurai to figure out. Ridley, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, Roy, Palutena and Megaman (even though he has no control over his inclusion) alongside the Brawl characters would pretty much satisfy the majority of people out there.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
See, even then it really isn't that much of an issue because there are only like five clear cut favorite choices, and beyond that it is pretty much up to Sakurai to figure out. Ridley, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, Roy, Palutena and Megaman (even though he has no control over his inclusion) alongside the Brawl characters would pretty much satisfy the majority of people out there.
Could you explain your thoughts on her? She stands out the most in comparison to other KI characters, but how is she up there with the big boys like Mewtwo and Ridley?

I haven't seen too much talk about her or demand, so please enlighten me.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think so too. I think most people would be satisfied with these as the nine newcomers for Smash 4 and there were not cuts:

1. K. Rool
2. Ridley
3. Mewtwo
4. Roy
5. Palutena
6. Mega Man
7. Miyamoto's new IP
8. Takamaru
9. Mii

Could you explain your thoughts on her? She stands out the most in comparison to other KI characters, but how is she up there with the big boys like Mewtwo and Ridley?
Palutena's is pretty much Sakurai's best option if he wants a female newcomer. Considering there is a lot of complaints about a lack of female characters, I think Sakurai will opt to place in one female newcomer, even in a low newcomer scenario. Palutena is in the best position because she has more visability and prominence than any other female character not already playable in Smash Bros.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465

I haven't seen too much talk about her or demand, so please enlighten me.
She's a safe bet for Sakurai. He probably does not have to do any type of legal negotiating since, you know, he and his team did work on the game for the past several years. She is prominent enough that she is not going to be an obscure choice. Considering how well received both Pit and Palutena are for their roles in Uprising I don't really see people complaining with her being playable, no quite the opposite.

I think so too. I think most people would be satisfied with these as the nine newcomers for Smash 4 and there were not cuts:

1. K. Rool
2. Ridley
3. Mewtwo
4. Roy
5. Palutena
6. Mega Man
7. Miyamoto's new IP
8. Takamaru
9. Mii
I keep forgetting about Mii... Either way, I do not think we should even bother talking about Miyamoto's new IP, because I doubt we are going to hear about that for awhile. I'd also throw Saki up there, though I know you disagree.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Palutena's is pretty much Sakurai's best option if he wants a female newcomer. Considering there is a lot of complaints about a lack of female characters, I think Sakurai will opt to place in one female newcomer, even in a low newcomer scenario. Palutena is in the best position because she has more visability and prominence than any other female character not already playable in Smash Bros.
She's a safe bet for Sakurai. He probably does not have to do any type of legal negotiating since, you know, he and his team did work on the game for the past several years. She is prominent enough that she is not going to be an obscure choice. Considering how well received both Pit and Palutena are for their roles in Uprising I don't really see people complaining with her being playable, no quite the opposite.
I see. Kinda makes me wonder what I was fighting for during that long war when I myself had doubts.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's not just random fools suggesting ridiculous cuts. I recall last year IGN had a Smash article where they said Wario and Game & Watch should be cut, meanwhile Cloud should be included. There are just so many things wrong with that.

And I doubt Sakurai would say how many new characters there will be. Developers barely like confirming minor information, let alone something major like the amount of newcomers, something that could change (emergency cuts/ last minute additions) and something that probably isn't 100% finalized until later in development (probably sometime next year).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom